hibs.net Messageboard

Page 124 of 427 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 12805

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll add bus drivers who pull in at a bus stop then immediately put on their right indicator before happily sitting for an age whilst people get on and off the bus.

Also on the driving theme people who don't indicate when using the 1st exit at a roundabout. You are sitting waiting to enter the roundabout, think they are going straight over then at the last second they throw the wheel round like they are on the hairpin at Monte Carlo and disappear.

Finally drivers who overestimate the size of their car and think they are driving an HGV. I use Pilrig Street quite often and with parking on both sides it can be tight but 2 cars can comfortably pass each other. I got stuck behind a Citroen C1 this morning who insisted on slamming their brakes on and swerving about every time a car appeared on the other side of the road.
    Bus drivers whose sole purpose is to see how many human skittles they can topple on their bus by jerking on the brakes when slowing down or coming to a stop. We had one of them yesterday. He did it not just once or twice but the whole trip. I was amazed that no passengers were injured.
    Erse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Busses driving 10-15 mph below the speed limit (30 or 40 mph zones)
    Busses at a bus stop that leave their backside out in the middle of the road so no one can get passed
    Busses at a traffic light junction that stop the flow of traffic to let an oncoming bus make a right turn despite their being a filter lane.
    People who say "busses" instead of "buses".

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    People who say "busses" instead of "buses".
    You're making a fus over nothing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    ********s who get on the bus when people are still getting off (princess street and the surrounding area are bad for this) and worse when a pram/wheelchair is trying to get off and the eejits just stand and stare at the oncoming people.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    ********s who get on the bus when people are still getting off (princess street and the surrounding area are bad for this) and worse when a pram/wheelchair is trying to get off and the eejits just stand and stare at the oncoming people.
    People who make up streets in Edinburgh
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Absolutely no excuse for that! At least use a capital P and S!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Busses driving 10-15 mph below the speed limit (30 or 40 mph zones)
    Busses at a bus stop that leave their backside out in the middle of the road so no one can get passed
    Busses at a traffic light junction that stop the flow of traffic to let an oncoming bus make a right turn despite their being a filter lane.
    I'll add bus drivers who pull in at a bus stop then immediately put on their right indicator before happily sitting for an age whilst people get on and off the bus.

Also on the driving theme people who don't indicate when using the 1st exit at a roundabout. You are sitting waiting to enter the roundabout, think they are going straight over then at the last second they throw the wheel round like they are on the hairpin at Monte Carlo and disappear.

Finally drivers who overestimate the size of their car and think they are driving an HGV. I use Pilrig Street quite often and with parking on both sides it can be tight but 2 cars can comfortably pass each other. I got stuck behind a Citroen C1 this morning who insisted on slamming their brakes on and swerving about every time a car appeared on the other side of the road.

Bus drivers who start to pull out of bus stops without checking for traffic, then give you the dirty look because you were already there driving along the road.

Bus drivers who stop when there isn't a bus stop to drop off a mate.

folk who get on a bus, wait til they get to the front of the queue, then start fishing for money.

people who can't park their car along a kerb without leaving huge space at the front/back, or those who park across 2 spaces along a kerb - I can semi understand the 2 spaces in a car park for avoiding scratches, but this?

people who sit in a queue of traffic waiting to get through lights, then when at the front, don't watch for them changing, lengthening the queue and the wait behind them.

sets of traffic lights in close proximity that aren't synced properly, ending up with green lights at one that can't move as the other is red.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    FAQ sections on websites that never have answers to any relevant questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    FAQ sections on websites that never have answers to any relevant questions.
    Good call b70. Also, there's never a contact tel no. Just a loop that takes you back to their home page.

And to continue on the bus peeve - bus drivers who deliberately stop with the back end of their bus sticking out stopping other vehicles from passing. Likewise stopping in the outside lane instead of pulling into the bus stop bay.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    people who can't park their car along a kerb without leaving huge space at the front/back, or those who park across 2 spaces along a kerb - I can semi understand the 2 spaces in a car park for avoiding scratches, but this?
    It's a relatively easy thing to do. They even get you to do it during the driving test. My particular peeve, apart from people who can't keep their car between 2 white lines, is people who drive straight into a parking space then can't reverse out without causing havoc.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    It's a relatively easy thing to do. They even get you to do it during the driving test. My particular peeve, apart from people who can't keep their car between 2 white lines, is people who drive straight into a parking space then can't reverse out without causing havoc.
    On parking spaces, folk who can't find a space so they block you in. When they return they are perplexed at your frustration as they've only been ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post

Agree with all of your points, I'd also add the folk who can't reverse into a space without causing havoc

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    People who insist on reversing into parking spaces on George Street! You can drive straight out the other side, there's no need to hold everyone up while you take an eternity to reverse your car in there.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    When did the West Indies start being formally called the Windies?

Taxi drivers in Edinburgh, ****wits of the highest order.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Taxi drivers in Edinburgh, ****wits of the highest order.
    Better with an Uber, imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

All vehicles really. And their drivers.

Let's face it they're all crap.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All vehicles really. And their drivers.

Let's face it they're all crap.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Guys that stare at other guys wife's or daughters when the husband or father is with them.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

People who don't realise how much better red wine can taste slightly chilled. On the same vein as those who go through the whole wine tasting pose from a screw top bottle.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    When socks come off inside your wellies :-)
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

The wee ****s that are terrorising west pilton, drylaw and muirhouse. Nearly kill a wee laddie then back out on the bikes. Little pricks deserve to be lynched. Thats my current pet peeve!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Scouse View Post
    People who don't realise how much better red wine can taste slightly chilled. On the same vein as those who go through the whole wine tasting pose from a screw top bottle.
    When I worked as a barman and waiter I used to always smile to myself when someone made a big show of commenting on the taste of wine when checking it. A simple nod of the head or 'fine thanks' is all a waiter needs. The whole process is to check you have the right wine and it isn't corked or spoiled in another way. One guy demanded to see a manager because one of the waiters had 'shown bad form' by placing a cork on the table. It was explained to him that placing a cork in front of the person who ordered for inspection is standard etiquette. He made a proper scene until one of his very embarrassed companions assured him we were spot on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

When I worked as a barman and waiter I used to always smile to myself when someone made a big show of commenting on the taste of wine when checking it. A simple nod of the head or 'fine thanks' is all a waiter needs. The whole process is to check you have the right wine and it isn't corked or spoiled in another way. One guy demanded to see a manager because one of the waiters had 'shown bad form' by placing a cork on the table. It was explained to him that placing a cork in front of the person who ordered for inspection is standard etiquette. He made a proper scene until one of his very embarrassed companions assured him we were spot on.
    There really are a few Oil Tankers out there. Your story would fit perfectly into the "Small Victories" thread.

Bar staff who listen to my selection for a premium gin and then attempt to put tonic in it from the gun! FFS if I'm buying a premium gin I want a premium tonic to compliment it. Have sent two gins back recently when the barman filled them with gun tonic before I realised.

Lorry drivers who take it upon themselves to block the inside lane of a dual carriageway by straddling both lanes when approaching roadworks coz he doesn't want cars getting past him.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    Lorry drivers who take it upon themselves to block the inside lane of a dual carriageway by straddling both lanes when approaching roadworks coz he doesn't want cars getting past him.
    I like when they do that to stop folk blatantly taking the pish with cutting in.

I know that folk are meant to merge in turn but you get some folk who take the pish with it, and the lorry drivers don't usually do the old blocking the lane routine until they're close to the lane merge.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I like when they do that to stop folk blatantly taking the pish with cutting in.

I know that folk are meant to merge in turn but you get some folk who take the pish with it, and the lorry drivers don't usually do the old blocking the lane routine until they're close to the lane merge.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/think-you-know-how-merge-8888838

Find it strange that they use the US as an example when it's been used in Germany for years. If a trucker does what you suggest and gets caught he'd end up with points on his licence.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/think-you-know-how-merge-8888838

Find it strange that they use the US as an example when it's been used in Germany for years. If a trucker does what you suggest and gets caught he'd end up with points on his licence.
    Like I said, I know what's meant to happen but at the same time in practice you see most people recognising that there's a queue and every try to get in lane early, and then you get folk who see that happening and cut in at the last minute.

I don't have a huge issue with it, if there are two lines merging in turn then it's all good, but I'm not going to lie - there something satisfying about a lorry driver deciding that they'll get the folk who have already queued and let people in get to where they are going a bit quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Scouse View Post
    Bar staff who listen to my selection for a premium gin and then attempt to put tonic in it from the gun! FFS if I'm buying a premium gin I want a premium tonic to compliment it. Have sent two gins back recently when the barman filled them with gun tonic before I realised.
    I poured someone a glass of expensive whisky I'd been given as a present and they put lemonade in it - .
    Last edited by snooky; 21-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.