hibs.net Messageboard

Page 115 of 429 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 12842

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who cheat and use google at quizzes. I just finished second to a table of French ****ers doing this im not that intelligent but I do have the ability to reatain useless information, which serves me well in quizes. Seeing people openly googling answers is pathetic
    Pathetic. Anyone caught using electronic equipment to get answers in pub quizes should be banned. The equivalent off buying players you can't afford. Mind you, what self righteous team would do a thing Ike that?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    People who cheat and use google at quizzes. I just finished second to a table of French ****ers doing this im not that intelligent but I do have the ability to reatain useless information, which serves me well in quizes. Seeing people openly googling answers is pathetic
    Utter dreggs

A colleague was doing this at our last Christmas night out and was quite pleased with himself.
    Bawbag

Definitely this! I love a good quiz, does my nut in when people cheat at them.

On that note, whenever I watch quizes on tele I get quite a lot right because there's so much random stuff that my brain seems to retain, but when it comes to me actually attending pub quizes I'm absolutely useless.

I just cannot conceive of how sad and pointless that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Folk who have no idea about the cost of something but totally ignore you when you try and guide them in the right direction then get a shock when they actually see the price.

Had a meeting with a guy today who was setting up a new cafe/takeaway. Sounds nice enough but it's your standard wraps, paninis, baked potatoes and so on. He started asking about plates with a list price of between £90 and £125 for a dozen. I suggested he have a look at a similar range that was a bit more economical but he insisted he wanted these ones. He then went on to request a quote for 20 micron silver cutlery, that's for fine dining restaurants and even they are put off by the price but he wouldn't listen when I suggested an 18/10 stainless steell would be more appropriate.

So I put a quote together with a reasonable discount and lo and behold it was too expensive. He was 'hoping to spend about £20 a case for plates'. Great idea mate I'll sell you plates at a 3rd of my cost price, I did make you aware this was a premium range with a premium price tag. Yes, I'd love to now waste my time requoting for the plain white porcelain and 'budget' range I initially suggested about 6 hours ago.

Total waste of time.
    In general people who haven't grasped the 2 immutable tenets of paying for stuff.

"You get what you pay for" and "that's how much it costs so pony up or shut up"

Folk in decent jobs banging on about how "everything's so expensive" wreck my head.

Shop around, don't buy it, I don't care but stop filling my airspace with your constant whines about prices.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Both pointless (unfortunately not literally) & pathetic!
    However, I was down south staying at a Village hotel and they were doing a quiz night where you actually use your mobile phone to answer the questions. You log on to the quizmasters WiFi (meaning you can't Google), enter your team name with a unique jingle when you buzz in, there's also multiple answer questions and speed rounds.
    Even though I was on my own (sad act) I was 2nd most of the way through the quiz until the last question,,, "to the nearest number how many tube stations on the Circle line".
    Being a virtual train spotter (again, sad act) working in the railway I knew it was in the region of 40, most teams guessed about 20 so yours truly won the Brucie Bonus 50 points.
    1st prize was a pitcher of beer, unfortunately I couldn't drink it as I was up early next day and had to be fit for duty,,, still,,,, excellent fun and takes away the cheating element.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    However, I was down south staying at a Village hotel and they were doing a quiz night where you actually use your mobile phone to answer the questions. You log on to the quizmasters WiFi (meaning you can't Google), enter your team name with a unique jingle when you buzz in, there's also multiple answer questions and speed rounds.
    Even though I was on my own (sad act) I was 2nd most of the way through the quiz until the last question,,, "to the nearest number how many tube stations on the Circle line".
    Being a virtual train spotter (again, sad act) working in the railway I knew it was in the region of 40, most teams guessed about 20 so yours truly won the Brucie Bonus 50 points.
    1st prize was a pitcher of beer, unfortunately I couldn't drink it as I was up early next day and had to be fit for duty,,, still,,,, excellent fun and takes away the cheating element.
    I was in the Ravelston in Musselburgh recently and they were advertising a quiz that seemed to follow a similar idea.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

What depot/station do you work at? What do you do in the railway mate?

Totally unrelated to your post really but it is quiz related and it still peeves me.

A few years ago I was at a quiz and my team finished joint 1st. Each team had to nominate a member to answer a tie break question. I was chose and a coin was tossed to see which team answered first. The question was: in what year was Hansel & Gretel written and published? Closest wins but you only answers correct or earlier than the correct date count. I was sure it was 1818 so guessed 1813, 5 years earlier than I thought. The other team guessed 1695. The answer was 1812, I was one year out, they were 117 but won because I was a year later! Utter bullshot rule and cost us £100.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Totally unrelated to your post really but it is quiz related and it still peeves me.

A few years ago I was at a quiz and my team finished joint 1st. Each team had to nominate a member to answer a tie break question. I was chose and a coin was tossed to see which team answered first. The question was: in what year was Hansel & Gretel written and published? Closest wins but you only answers correct or earlier than the correct date count. I was sure it was 1818 so guessed 1813, 5 years earlier than I thought. The other team guessed 1695. The answer was 1812, I was one year out, they were 117 but won because I was a year later! Utter bullshot rule and cost us £100.
    If you'd guessed a year earlier the overture you'd have received would've been amazing.

The law is an ass - even in quiz games apparently.
    You wuz robbed.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    People who stand up at restaurants and let their chair slide back making a really annoying noise. Does my nut it, lady bunberry is particularly bad for doing this.

United we stand here....

Handling chillis and feeling the burn. Oil up my nose and it's nippy.

I'm also sucking ice cubes as my mouth is burning too.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    People that go on holiday to family resorts and wear ridiculously tight trunks. I'm in Majorca the now and there's a couple of guys that wear wearing stuff totally inappropriate and more than borderline creepy.

I was in France last year and the hotel had a rule you had to wear trunks and not shorts for hygiene reasons so it's maybe just a cultural thing but I still find it wrong.

Folk that wear football tops on holiday, I'm in Lanzarote just and have seen at least 20 people wearing a Celtic strips including a family of 4, mother and kids included wearing a full kit. Complete roasters. I have also seen nearly every EPL top over the last week.

Throbbers that applaud on a plane when it lands. Whats that all about? Pilot is just doing their job. Do you applaud the butcher when he hands you your pound of mince, or applaud the postie when he delivers your mail? Naw you don't so pack it in!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Throbbers that applaud on a plane when it lands. Whats that all about? Pilot is just doing their job. Do you applaud the butcher when he hands you your pound of mince, or applaud the postie when he delivers your mail? Naw you don't so pack it in!
    But you do applaud a footballer when he does his job, or an actor too?

I think with planes it may just be relief - I'm a pretty nervous flier and am always delighted to arrive safely. That said, I've never applauded

Combining your last 2 posts.

I was on a flight back from Turkey a few years ago, flying into Glasgow. Sat in front of Jimmy and Senga McHun and their band of billy boys. All in Rangers gear from head to toe. One of the kids was at least a wee bit dressed up because he was wearing the away tap.

Stupid prick kept telling one of his brood to 'kick the seat in front to make the plane go faster'. After about 5 boots to the back I told him to tell his child to stop. 'Stoap wit' Is there a problem big man?' Eventually he had a word until we landed when he said to give the seat an extra hard kick to 'make the breaks work'. This was followed by the whole family celebrating like a last minute winner at Hampden when the plane came to a stop.

Absolute cretins.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    But you do applaud a footballer when he does his job, or an actor too?

I think with planes it may just be relief - I'm a pretty nervous flier and am always delighted to arrive safely. That said, I've never applauded
    It would make good comedy sketch if it showed all the passengers clapping every time the bus pulled up at a bus stop.

I was on a flight back from Turkey a few years ago, flying into Glasgow. Sat in front of Jimmy and Senga McHun and their band of billy boys. All in Rangers gear from head to toe. One of the kids was at least a wee bit dressed up because he was wearing the away tap.

Stupid prick kept telling one of his brood to 'kick the seat in front to make the plane go faster'. After about 5 boots to the back I told him to tell his child to stop. 'Stoap wit' Is there a problem big man?' Eventually he had a word until we landed when he said to give the seat an extra hard kick to 'make the breaks work'. This was followed by the whole family celebrating like a last minute winner at Hampden when the plane came to a stop.

Absolute cretins.
    That's dire. Kids will grow up to be little bams. I just don't get the applause and celebration it's not as if we have a 50/50 chance of surviving the landing. The autopilot lands the plane too now. Pilots can do it manually if they wish though.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Celtic fans with invincible t shirts. Undefeated 2016/17 season. They lost to the Red Imps.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Can I put my hand up and apologise for that this year please?

I'm sure I'm not the type you're talking about but I've been pretty embarrassed at myself the last few days so feel the need to justify it. My laddie and another kid in the party were struggling with sore ears coming into land so in an effort to distract them we made a big deal of landing with clapping and cheering.

I'll take my yellow card on the chin if required though.

That's dire. Kids will grow up to be little bams. I just don't get the applause and celebration it's not as if we have a 50/50 chance of surviving the landing. The autopilot lands the plane too now. Pilots can do it manually if they wish though.
    Too much information

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Can I put my hand up and apologise for that this year please?

I'm sure I'm not the type you're talking about but I've been pretty embarrassed at myself the last few days so feel the need to justify it. My laddie and another kid in the party were struggling with sore ears coming into land so in an effort to distract them we made a big deal of landing with clapping and cheering.

I'll take my yellow card on the chin if required though.
    Just what they need for sore ears. More noise.

Absolute cretins.
    Surely "Billy McHun" no?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Rangers fans with no sense of humour. In Costa Adeje just now, when we heard two Rangers fans discussing the score the other night my laddie burst out laughing, if looks could kill!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People who park their shopping trolley so that it blocks the whole aisle and bimble off somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    People who park their shopping trolley so that it blocks the whole aisle and bimble off somewhere else.
    Or people who pick up every item in one section and give it a thorough examination and generally dilly-dally forcing you to stand & wait to pick up one of the same items.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I do that

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Or people who pick up every item in one section and give it a thorough examination and generally dilly-dally forcing you to stand & wait to pick up one of the same items.
    Jesus, how long does it take to select your carrots, onions or pre-packaged mozzarella??

Answer: about 15 years seemingly.

Agree completely with your point. In Switzerland especially, supermarket design is ****ing chronic (eggs next to the luggage and lingerie, orange juice on a separate floor just past the homeware being my 2 favourite examples) and is coupled with an acute cultural lack of spatial awareness.