hibs.net Messageboard

Page 109 of 428 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HahahaHahaha how cam someone shortening a name be wrong? That's a cracker. People say "Notts Forest" has anyone ever actually said "Nottm Forest"
    People used to shorten Pakistani to Paki. It's shorter but doesn't mean it's something that should be done.

When Notts is used for one team, and is a shortened version of the county, not the city, using it for the other team named after the city just isn't right.

They don't like it and surely that dictates what the prior name and any shortening of it should be?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nottm Forest is a shorter version while Notts Forest is a wrong one.

There are indeed people who do it but they're wrong.
    Ditto Inter Milan.It is either Internazionale or Inter. The first is a mouth full so try the second!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    People used to shorten Pakistani to Paki. It's shorter but doesn't mean it's something that should be done.

When Notts is used for one team, and is a shortened version of the county, not the city, using it for the other team named after the city just isn't right.

They don't like it and surely that dictates what the prior name and any shortening of it should be?
    Hearts fans aren't too keen on the term/synonym "inbred windae lickers" so should we stop using it?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Hearts fans aren't too keen on the term/synonym "inbred windae lickers" so should we stop using it?
    Not on my account, no.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Of course not, when football fans across the country were discussing in the pubs the marvel of Notts Forest winning the European Cup, I bet the club and their fans were raging. Anyway that's me away for a chinky.

Of course not, when football fans across the country were discussing in the pubs the marvel of Notts Forest winning the European Cup, I bet the club and their fans were raging. Anyway that's me away for a chinky.
    😂😂

Think I'll go and buy a big bag of Butterkist before the faux outrage starts.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Think I'll go and buy a big bag of Butterkist before the faux outrage starts.
    Should be fine Hutchy, I use it as slang for chinese food not to describe a chinese person, unless my shredded chilli beef takes offence there should be no worries.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Should be fine Hutchy, I use it as slang for chinese food not to describe a chinese person, unless my shredded chilli beef takes offence there should be no worries.

Fried shredded chicken in a honey chilli sauce with soft fried noodles and salt and spicy chips. Tremendous

Folk getting fitba team names wrong does kinda cheese me off: we've already had the unnecessary adding of Milan onto Inter's name. Another similar one is Sporting (you know, from Lisbon...), and of course my most peevey Pet Peeve - the failure to correctly identify the Bilbao team called Athletic , often confused with ATletico from Madrid.

As for Scots slang? I'm off to the Hamiltons for some Mick Jagger before I nip tae the wee wullie winkies for ma dinner ;)

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Folk getting fitba team names wrong does kinda cheese me off: we've already had the unnecessary adding of Milan onto Inter's name. Another similar one is Sporting (you know, from Lisbon...), and of course my most peevey Pet Peeve - the failure to correctly identify the Bilbao team called Athletic , often confused with ATletico from Madrid.

As for Scots slang? I'm off to the Hamiltons for some Mick Jagger before I nip tae the wee wullie winkies for ma dinner ;)
    To be fair, there is a team called sporting lisbon. Benfica!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Big peeve is the way society is evolving and promoting a culture of blame.
    As soon as someone trips, walks into something or has a minor accident, right away it's someone else's fault.
    No it's not. Just look where you're going, ya dick! I'm not saying this applies to all accidents but, jeez, it's getting ridiculous.
    My main gripe is, this mindset is killing society. You daren't help anyone who falls these days in case they sue you for 'making their injury worse'.
    Who do you think pays for all the ŁŁŁ of compensation eventually? Right first time, friend - us mugsies.
    And of course Mr Ambulance-Chaser picks up his Ł200/hour fee (on us as well).

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Those new self serve machines in McDonalds.
    Bloody nightmare.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Bloody nightmare.
    I cannae remember the last time I was at McDonald's...you serve yourself from a machine? Just to pay you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I cannae remember the last time I was at McDonald's...you serve yourself from a machine? Just to pay you mean?
    Big touch screen thing that you have to navigate to order.
    This is inside and causes loads of folk to queue around it .

They have removed the tills and only have one but its hidden away.
    It now looks like you are standing in someone's house waiting on your order.

The manager asked what I thought of it and I said I thought it was crap.
    Older folk will struggle I would imagine . She explained that if you only order a coffee , you can skip the queue etc and you can also select table service etc. I told her it was still crap but she wasn't having it :-) " no no it's good , saves customers time , table service etc" eh no hen, it saves the company money on staff. That was the deciding factor.

I don't often go there either but I was dropping off the laddie at his work this morning so just got his breakfast there.

After we had got our order a family came in and started using the touchscreen . They were still at it when I left.

People with intolerance or allergies. I'm almost convinced that some folk treat it as a trend or fashion and just want to be part of the in gang.
    I know there are many genuine cases but some folk I know of just seem to want to be part of it!

People with intolerance or allergies. I'm almost convinced that some folk treat it as a trend or fashion and just want to be part of the in gang.
    I know there are many genuine cases but some folk I know of just seem to want to be part of it!
    Ooft
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I couldn't afford to be in the gang at the prices charged for all the free from this and that stuff.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Bloody nightmare.
    I used the ones at Meadowbank last week, I was doing the election count, and there was no parking so I got up there early to make sure I got a space. My plan was to kill the spare time by going to McDonald's. Clearly loads of people had the same idea cause it was heaving. I used the self service machine and it got right through to the end, scanned my card and then said "printer error" I thought ok, hasn't worked so went to the next one. Same thing happened. Tried the last one and it was fine. Only realised a few days later that it charged me three times. The best of it is, I then had to wait so long for it, I didn't have time to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I used the ones at Meadowbank last week, I was doing the election count, and there was no parking so I got up there early to make sure I got a space. My plan was to kill the spare time by going to McDonald's. Clearly loads of people had the same idea cause it was heaving. I used the self service machine and it got right through to the end, scanned my card and then said "printer error" I thought ok, hasn't worked so went to the next one. Same thing happened. Tried the last one and it was fine. Only realised a few days later that it charged me three times. The best of it is, I then had to wait so long for it, I didn't have time to eat it.
    Thanks for the info. Methinks I'll eat at McElsewhere in future.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Thanks for the info. Methinks I'll eat at McElsewhere in future.
    Still just as quick to get served at the counter whilst everyone is faffing about with the self serve terminals.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    They've had the self service things across here for a few years now. They work great.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Peanuts in planes, or rather the request not to have any because someone is sensitive to them.

I've now came across someone who has an immune deficiency syndrome (or similar) and was asked to move seats from them so as to create a buffer zone for germs. Let's not forget my farts & sneezes get recycled when in that steel tube so I don't see what benefit the is to leaving all those seats empty?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Peanuts in planes, or rather the request not to have any because someone is sensitive to them.

I've now came across someone who has an immune deficiency syndrome (or similar) and was asked to move seats from them so as to create a buffer zone for germs. Let's not forget my farts & sneezes get recycled when in that steel tube so I don't see what benefit the is to leaving all those seats empty?
    Just say you're allergic to people with immune deficiency syndrome, peanuts, shellfish, etc. etc. and you'll have the plane all to yourself.

People who can't follow simple rules because they are lazy.

There's limited parking immediately outside where I live. However there is ample parking available about 30 seconds walk away still in clear view of the property. One guy insists on parking outwith the designated spaces across a pathway leading to the houses. This means people with pram and buggies (of which there are many) have to go onto grass and then through a flower bed to get to the car park. All because he is to lazy to walk a couple of hundred yards.

Despite repeated letters from the property manager he insists on doing it. He's both selfish and a ****ing idiot, both proven after I challenged him about throwing an empty coffee cup out his car and onto the ground and he didn't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

There's limited parking immediately outside where I live. However there is ample parking available about 30 seconds walk away still in clear view of the property. One guy insists on parking outwith the designated spaces across a pathway leading the houses. This means people with pram and buggies (of which there are many) have to go onto grass and then through a flower bed to get to the car park. All because he is to lazy to walk a couple of hundred yards.

Despite repeated letters from the property manager he insists on doing it. He's both selfish and a ****ing idiot, both proven after I challenged him about throwing an empty coffee cup out his car and onto the ground and he didn't see the problem.
    Brain Deficiency Syndrome - it's rife these days.

People who are pi$$ed and walk across the west end of the city bypass wearing black trousers and a tee shirt with no regard to cars travelling 70mph both ways.

Was that you last night around 11pm? If you're still alive, wow! Didn't you do well.

Mixed up quotes in threads.

I don't know what's going on in that tower block one any more.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

There's limited parking immediately outside where I live. However there is ample parking available about 30 seconds walk away still in clear view of the property. One guy insists on parking outwith the designated spaces across a pathway leading to the houses. This means people with pram and buggies (of which there are many) have to go onto grass and then through a flower bed to get to the car park. All because he is to lazy to walk a couple of hundred yards.

Where we used to live there was a guy who insisted on parking in a spot which made access to the proper car park really tight. He was told not to both verbally and in writing. He had quite a nice passat until I blootered it a couple of times with my then 18 year old Twingo. He knew it was me and that it was deliberate, but also that I didn't give a toss and there was nothing he could do about it. It solved the problem in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Where we used to live there was a guy who insisted on parking in a spot which made access to the proper car park really tight. He was told not to both verbally and in writing. He had quite a nice passat until I blootered it a couple of times with my then 18 year old Twingo. He knew it was me and that it was deliberate, but also that I didn't give a toss and there was nothing he could do about it. It solved the problem in any case.
    When I lived in Liverpool a neighbour used to moan like **** if I parked my van outside his house even though he never had a car. My car and my Dad's car were parked outside our house. Anyway he confronted me one night and told me I was blocking his light with my van and I had better watch that my tyres didn't get slashed. I laughed it off and to keep the peace (mainly for my Mum) offered to switch my car and van to appease him. He wasn't having that either and continued to moan and bang on his window at me every day. One day I saw him struggling with his front door as I arrived home, the snib had dropped on his yale lock and he couldn't get in his house.Within 15 minutes I had gained access and changed his yale lock with a brand new one from the van at no charge. He was extremely grateful, thanked me and said "about your van"......."yes I said" expecting an amnesty.
    "If you keep leaving it there I can't guarantee it's safety"!!!

Hahaha the old git then continused to moan daily until he left to live with his daughter. I think he liked me really :-)