hibs.net Messageboard

Page 152 of 425 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

***** short term weather forecasts.

According to the BBC and Met Office websites Edinburgh has been battered by heavy snow all morning. A quick look out the window would confirm a 5-10 minute flurry was about our lot.

Fake news.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

According to the BBC and Met Office websites Edinburgh has been battered by heavy snow all morning. A quick look out the window would confirm a 5-10 minute flurry was about our lot.

Fake news.
    And right on time.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Fake news.
    Really PB? I am on Corstorphine Hill and it's still falling.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    We were supposed to get snow from 18:00 last night come 23:00 no snow, there is now.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I hate films that whenever there’s a scene in a garage or a building site or an adventure/spy type film when everyone’s getting kitted up for a mission at night there’s always somebody with a grinder making sparks. Does my head in.
    Ah, movie clichés.

This deserves a thread of its own.

Last edited by Hibbyradge; 16-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    And right on time.....
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Ah, movie clichés.

This deserves a thread of its own.

Good idea - I'll start one now.

Ru Paul's Drag Race : All-stars on The Comedy Channel - wtf?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who don't adopt their driving to suit the conditions.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Fake news.
    Here in Penicuik it's like a winter wonderland , I'd say we have about 8 inches

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Aye it’s reached us now about 12 hours later than forecast. Hope the games ok on Sunday, wouldn’t put it past those clowns to ‘forget’ to put the undersoil heating on.

The norm for July up in them thar hills is it not?

@hibs.net private member
    Good effort - especially in this cold weather.

People talking in public libraries, especially when it's the library staff themselves who are the culprits. Chats about health matters, personal finance, mutual acquaintances, family etc. How can folk talk out loud in public about such things? It seems to me the height of ignorance, quite apart from the disturbance to those trying to read or study in peace.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Good effort - especially in this cold weather.
    Very good reply that :-)

GGTTH

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    People talking in public libraries, especially when it's the library staff themselves who are the culprits. Chats about health matters, personal finance, mutual acquaintances, family etc. How can folk talk out loud in public about such things? It seems to me the height of ignorance, quite apart from the disturbance to those trying to read or study in peace.
    ... and throw in a few unsupervised pre-teens in the corner just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    ... and throw in a few unsupervised pre-teens in the corner just for good measure.
    Yup, although I kind of approve of kids going to the library in this philistine age. They might be tempted to pick up a book all of a sudden, if that doesn't sound too patronising.

I appreciate that libraries - especially local ones - are more than just for reading these days. They are "hubs" for various media and for local information. If they were just full of books, they'd all have been closed down years ago.

But when the staff are the ones making the racket...............! It's a volte face of the old Silence Please era!

Ball point pens that work sporadically.

Only good for writing pidgin morse.

@hibs.net private member
    Hysterical weather warnings slapped about that are over cautious to cover the forecasters' backs.

Folk opting to take-on a drive when there have been clear and early weather warnings, and then blaming everyone else for them being stuck on a motorway and not getting home until the next day. Some boy on the news last night no happy about the "lack of information"... do you want someone to helicopter out and tell you you're going to be stuck another few hours because it's still p1shing of snow?

If you're going to make the decision to drive knowing how severe the weather is...take a pair of wellies and a coat, and shut the **** up.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Snow pictures on social media. A picture of your back garden covered in snow looks just the same as the ones in your back garden covered in snow posted following previous accumulations. And everyone else's garden.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 18-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Snow pictures on social media. A picture of your back garden covered in snow looks just the same as the ones in your back garden covered in snow posted following previous accumulations. And everyone else's garden.
    It's the only time my garden looks tidy.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

Chronic, also these doughnuts on facebook who ask if schools are closed in Edinburgh due to the snow? Look hen, we've had a dusting of snow, pack the kids off to school, this isn't Alaska!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You would hate portobello library then. I used to take my daughter there for a class that involved singing nursery rhymes and banging instruments

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    People that have no awareness of their surroundings and people nearby. Particularly ones that walk towards you, and you are Mr or Mrs invisible and you end up having to avoid them or give way to them.
    We have a keep left policy at work, on the stairs and corridors but there’s always somebody that doesn’t know their right from their left or walks two abreast with their mate and is oblivious to anyone coming towards them.

In my old age I just stand still and and block their way now with the hope that they might actually realise their is more than just them on the planet.
    Last edited by Alfiembra; 18-01-2018 at 05:17 PM.

I get really hacked off when fans sing songs to the tune of "This is how it feels" by the Inspiral Carpets and get the actual tune wrong.

We seem to have adopted it too and it boils my piss every time I hear it.

It should be a bit bit higher at the end of the first line.

Can we at least get it right FFS?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You would hate portobello library then. I used to take my daughter there for a class that involved singing nursery rhymes and banging instruments
    At Corstorphine there is a regular mums and tinies group who sing the same songs all the time. I stomp about murmuring If You're Happy and You Know it despite myself.

Unlocking my car and having to press the button on the key twice (maybe three, maybe four, maybe five times) to unlock the boot and/or passenger door.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Unlocking my car and having to press the button on the key twice (maybe three, maybe four, maybe five times) to unlock the boot and/or passenger door.

That can be changed in the settings menu of most cars, even crappy Corsas for example have "secret" settings menus. Always a good gag to set a low "high speed alert" on your mates car

The advertising hoardings for the new St James Centre get right on my nerves every time I pass them. They apparently represent 'diverse' Edinburgh and they certainly do that if Edinburgh's diversity is limited to being very white and very middle class.

Amelia the student thinks it will be a feast for the senses, Crawford the Edinburgh gentleman thinks it will be a social hub for the man about town, Max the quantity surveyor muses it will be a great addition to the fashion scene and stay at home mummy and daughter Pippa and Sophia believe it will be enchanting.

Firstly who talks like that about a shopping centre and hotel? Of all the people I know from various backgrounds, cultures and levels of wealth I can't think of a single one who would describe either of those types of locations as 'enchanting' or a 'sensory feast'. Secondly where is Tam the sparky who 'hopes there is still a Greggs', Lauren the call centre operative who 'might pop in on a Saturday afternoon but does most of her shopping online now if she's honest' or Bill from Standard Life who 'can't afford to live in Edinburgh anymore so doesn't really give a ****'.