hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Driving Pet Peeves

At the request of Alfiembra, here's the Driving Pet Peeve thread for frustrated motorists.

So, to kick it off.......
    When you are just about to get into your car in a car park some Dumbo decides to draw in tight alongside your driver's door despite there being empty spaces everywhere around.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    People who bog the middle lane on motorways despite there being no traffic in the left lane.

Not only is that a peeve, it's dangerous and illegal.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

People who don't indicate at roundabouts. The whole system of roundabouts relies heavily on being aware of other drivers intentions.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People who think sitting at traffic lights is an ideal opportunity to read/send messages on their phone and are inevitably still sat there 10 seconds after the lights have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't indicate at roundabouts. The whole system of roundabouts relies heavily on being aware of other drivers intentions.
    Drivers at Comely Bank roundabout who approach in the left hand lane then proceed to the 3rd exit without indicating. How there are not more accidents there is a surprise.

People who don't acknowledge that you've stopped to let them through.
    A wee wave or a flash of headlights would suffice.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    It's probably Germans. Over here you only indicate when you want to leave the roundabout.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Folk who block the right hand lane (right turn only) at the Corn Exchange junction, because, for some reason, they think they're too special to sit in the left hand (straight ahead) lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    It's probably Germans. Over here you only indicate when you want to leave the roundabout.
    A lot of people I seem to encounter here don't even do that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Agreed, and also people who don't get into the correct lane at roundabouts. I am fed up on idiots lining up in the right hand lane to go straight on (typically second exit). Unless its specifically marked to use the right lane for straight ahead then it should always be left lane on entrance to roundabout.

However, the Bankton junction off the A1 is one instance where it is marked right hand lane for straight ahead, left lane is Tranent only. The number of morons who go into the left lane to go straight ahead (second exit) is incredible. They let you know about it if you "cut them off" too.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    People who don't acknowledge that you've stopped to let them through.
    A wee wave or a flash of headlights would suffice.
    Grrrr that one gets me too, also if you are already passing a long line of parked car and the numpty coming towards you has only one parked car on his side of the road still pulls out into your path and thinks you should be giving way.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Idiots who carry out dangerous overtaking manoeuvres on single lane roads. I drive on the A68 and A7 regularly and some of these clowns are risking their own and others lives, overtaking with blind corners and blind summits coming up. Madness.

People who drive in poor visibility with no side lights on.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Idiots who carry out dangerous overtaking manoeuvres on single lane roads. I drive on the A68 and A7 regularly and some of these clowns are risking their own and others lives, overtaking with blind corners and blind summits coming up. Madness.

Likewise. There's only two safe overtaking stretches at speed between Gala and Middleton but it doesn't stop dafties playing the odds and overtaking on blind corners. It's no wonder there are regular crashes and two or three fatalities a year. The risk-takers seem to be worse northbound IMO.

I always used to think the 68 was safer but despite being straighter and having more obvious overtaking spots, it still seems to generate its share of idiots. Between the Tynehead road and Soutra seems to be the worst, both directions. Southbound more so because there are two imminent overtaking lanes but it doesn't stop folk overtaking unnecessarily.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Emmanuel Macron has decided, in his infinite wisdom, that as from July the speed limit on French A roads (which don't have central reservations/barriers) from 90 to 80 km/h (roughly 55 to 49 mph), his thinking being that lowering the limit by 10% will result in 10% fewer accidents/mortalities.

Utter pish!

It won't reduce the number of bad drivers, and people who choose to drive everywhere at say 100km/h regardless of the limit will now have even more people to overtake (in the French system if you're 1 or 20 km/h over the limit the penalty is the same, so many people go +20km/h by default).

If I stick strictly to the limit it'll add a minute or so onto my drive to work. That doesn't bother me - bampots coming the other way making dodgy overtaking manoeuvres do.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

I’ve often wondered if I’m an over cautious driver as I can never get my head round the amount of people that over take on the A7 at dangerous spots. DHL delivery vans (and other similar companies) are especially bad for that on that road I’ve noticed.

Lorries overtaking other lorries on the 2 lane M8, other 2 lane motorways are available!

Ones doing 59 and the others doing 59 ... and a half!

If the slower one slowed for just a minute to say 55 to let the other go by there wouldn't be queues of frustrated drivers!

I think caravans need a thread of their own ;-)
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Folk who don’t put on their lights when it’s getting dark until it’s past the official lighting up time. Some idiots even don’t put them on then, as if they’re saving battery power.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Annoys me when someone is letting you out but they don’t bother to tell you.

They sort of slow down a wee bit but not quite enough to make it obvious.

I’m sure this is where I get told I’m in the wrong and people who flash and make hand signals are acting dangerously but I still find it annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Lorries overtaking other lorries on the 2 lane M8, other 2 lane motorways are available!

Ones doing 59 and the others doing 59 ... and a half!

If the slower one slowed for just a minute to say 55 to let the other go by there wouldn't be queues of frustrated drivers!

I think caravans need a thread of their own ;-)
    Somebody on the PPIV's thread called it "elephant racing". Describes it perfectly and made me laugh.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Folk who don’t put on their lights when it’s getting dark until it’s past the official lighting up time. Some idiots even don’t put them on then, as if they’re saving battery power.
    Eejits with DRL's that "think" they have lights on. What I'm seeing more and more is people driving in very poor conditions, heavy rain, fog etc. not realising that in some models of car the DRL's are only at the front and I'm guessing they don't know that the back of their car is in darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Eejits with DRL's that "think" they have lights on. What I'm seeing more and more is people driving in very poor conditions, heavy rain, fog etc. not realising that in some models of car the DRL's are only at the front and I'm guessing they don't know that the back of their car is in darkness.
    A-ha, that's what it was. I saw a car the other night with front lights and no lights switched on at the rear.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Those who religiously stick to the 20mph in Edinburgh when there is nobody else on the road, other than me behind them.

When you are driving along a road and can see from your mirrors there is no one behind you and a car wheel spins out a side street to cut in front of you and you often have to brake.

Just wait you dicks.

When you are driving along a road and can see from your mirrors there is no one behind you and a car wheel spins out a side street to cut in front of you and you often have to brake.

Just wait you dicks.
    The worst part is, despite their rush to get out, they usually proceed at a crawl's pace with you stuck behind. That's what's defined as a dick x2.

Muppets that use rear fog lights for no apparent reason.
    The weather being a bit drizzly is not sufficient reason.
    In fact the weather being a bit foggy isn't either!
    They should only be used when it's REALLY foggy(visibility down to 100metres,I believe) - the way it gets about once every ten years....
    Being stuck behind these clowns is almost as bad for your eyes as a full beam headlight shining in them. Grrr!

People that don’t understand how to behave towards buses.

If a bus has got the nerve to take up two lanes on a roundabout when you think it only needs one, it might actually be doing that for your safety. Try over/undertaking it and see what happens.

Also, people who try and overtake busses when they’re indicating to pull away from a bus stop on a single carriageway. Some even try it when buses are indicating and have actually moved off! Just pray the driver is in a good mood because he could continue moving and any crash would be the impatient car drivers fault.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Add in people who don't know how to indicate at roundabouts. People indicating right to go straight on drives my nut in. If there are 4 exits on a roundabout you're either going left, right or straight on and can indicate as such.

People who drive right up your arse when you’re overtaking on a dual carriageway - where do they expect you to go?

bus drivers who leave the back end of the bus protruding into the road. It’s partially blocking the lane, and means the bus driver has less visibility when they want to move off.

peope who drive in snow in the same way they drive on a clear dry day, and don’t adjust their driving to the conditions.

drivers (usually large German cars) who’s ego can’t handle being overtaken by a smaller car (even though they’re going slow), so race past you to demonstrate that their car is superior, usually only for you to re-overtake them a few miles later as they’ve slowed down again.

totally agree about the lack of lane discipline/understanding at roundabouts, and the lack of indicating there.

people who fling their car into parking spaces and walk away, leaving the car at near 45 degree angles to the straight lines painted in to make it easier for you.

when you’re waiting to pull out at a junction, and other drivers accelerate so you’ll need to wait until they’ve passed, even though they are often not going in the same direction, so what do you have to gain?

people who scrape the only drivers side of the windscreen, then drive off.

people who think by putting their hazards on after just stopping in the road makes it all fine, and no one behind them should get annoyed about being held up (caveat is if they have a genuine issue).

people travelling on a slip road who think they have right of way, and expect the main road user already there to make room for them, even when it’s not safe to do so - people joining the M8 from newbridge heading into Edinburgh are exponents of this on a frequent basis.

Equally, people who make no effort (or occasionally go out their way to make it harder) to help create space as someone is joining a road from a slip road. Surely it’s safer to move out, or back off slightly and help another car to safely join the lane/road than be awkward and risk a crash? Joinging the M8 at Livingston heading to Edinburgh is bad for this.

Passengers who are supposed to be providing directions who wait until you’re on top of the junction you need to take before saying ‘eh, we’re supposed to be going that way Ffs’.

when driving along a motorway/dual carriageway, you slowly catch up to a long(ish) line of vehicles in the inside lane, over a period of 2-3 miles, and just as you get to them, the rear most vehicle decides that now is the exact time to move out and try to overtake the rest of the column of traffic, even though they had no interest until you caught up. It happens so often it’s untrue
    Last edited by McD; 24-01-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Folk who pull into the outside lane to overtake, get past the car they are overtaking then just sit there at about 60mph so you have to ease off to leave space. All because they can see another car 3/4s of a mile up the road they might have to overtake.

The bypass is particularly bad for this. Quite often I see people join the carriageway pull into the outside lane and then just stay there for no obvious reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    On the other side of the coin, I find just about every car has headlights on in broad daylight these days.