hibs.net Messageboard

Page 87 of 428 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member
    London Road, junction with Meadowbank shops. Guy on a bike , middle aged, well dressed, sailed straight through a red light in front of me as I was coming through the lights. I could have killed him. Idiot. Still shaking.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    People that get were and where mixed up. "The fans where terrific on Wednesday night"

I'm no grammar police and there's lots about the England language I get wrong but I don't get how people get those two mixed up, they even sound completely different.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Pet Peeves threads that eventually start going round in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that get were and where mixed up. "The fans where terrific on Wednesday night"

I'm no grammar police and there's lots about the England language I get wrong but I don't get how people get those two mixed up, they even sound completely different.
    I find the England language difficult at times too.
    😁

Blog Entries
    Folk on football forums who make big noises about refusing to click on links for information they are dying to know about, then in the same breath ask someone else to click on the link to cut and paste. It's only one click so why can't they bloody well click on it themselves and do the cutting and pasting for everybody else. Second peeve - folk who accommodate them and go away and do it.
    Last edited by Jim44; 26-02-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Folk who show no interest in a sport all year then a big event comes up and they suddenly become an expert and pontificate on everything to do with it. I understand big sporting events always attract a wider audience but I'm talking about those who become short term experts.

I follow horse racing throughout the jumps season and have a pretty good understanding of the sport. With Cheltenham 2 weeks away the 4 day experts start to appear regurgitating something they read on the Daily Express racing page as fact. 'Cue Card just won't stay up that hill at 12', 'Yanworth doesn't jump well enough to win a Champion Hurdle' etc. They then fluke a 20/1 shot in one of the handicaps and think they are a betting sage for a few days.

See also folk who watch 4 tennis matches a year then become experts on Andy Murrays serve during Wimbledon.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Bus drivers who open the doors early whilst they are in a queue for the stop. Happened last night at top of Easter Road, every other driver waited till at stop before opening doors meaning people got on in sequence of the queue. Then the Dickhead driving the 26 decided he would open his doors whilst sitting behind another bus. The result was that people at the front of the queue became suddenly at the back and never got on the bus as it filled up. Felt sorry for guy at front of queue with two young kids who hado to wait for yet another bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Bus drivers who open the doors early whilst they are in a queue for the stop. Happened last night at top of Easter Road, every other driver waited till at stop before opening doors meaning people got on in sequence of the queue. Then the Dickhead driving the 26 decided he would open his doors whilst sitting behind another bus. The result was that people at the front of the queue became suddenly at the back and never got on the bus as it filled up. Felt sorry for guy at front of queue with two young kids who hado to wait for yet another bus.
    That's poor, they're only supposed to let folk off if there waiting in a queue of buses.

There's some awful drivers out there. Selfish, lazy, complacent.

Ideally, everyone should have to retake their test every three years or so. Not gonna happen.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Folk who show no interest in a sport all year then a big event comes up and they suddenly become an expert and pontificate on everything to do with it. I understand big sporting events always attract a wider audience but I'm talking about those who become short term experts.

I follow horse racing throughout the jumps season and have a pretty good understanding of the sport. With Cheltenham 2 weeks away the 4 day experts start to appear regurgitating something they read on the Daily Express racing page as fact. 'Cue Card just won't stay up that hill at 12', 'Yanworth doesn't jump well enough to win a Champion Hurdle' etc. They then fluke a 20/1 shot in one of the handicaps and think they are a betting sage for a few days.

See also folk who watch 4 tennis matches a year then become experts on Andy Murrays serve during Wimbledon.
    Drives me nuts. I don't follow the horses much these days but love reading the Cheltenham thread on here to see what you and the other guys have got to say. I used to know a guy like that at work, only told you about his winning bets, spoke in McCririck-type slang like "it's gone out to burlington" and pish like that.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I used to play tennis to a good level when I was a kid and played against the Murray brothers in various tournaments (I actually beat one but they cheated at match point, I think it was Jamie my dad says Andy....I was a fair bit older than them which was significant at that age but let's not get bogged down with details).....anyway I find myself unable to watch tennis now because of the experts and how they go on about unforced errors. There's pretty much no such thing as if the guys at this level don't try to hit lines they're going to lost the point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Folk on football forums who make big noises about refusing to click on links for information they are dying to know about, then in the same breath ask someone else to click on the link to cut and paste. It's only one click so why can't they bloody well click on it themselves and do the cutting and pasting for everybody else. Second peeve - folk who accommodate them and go away and do it.
    I am genuinely too scared to try

While I'm here..........Edinfekkinburgh district council.

Takeaway food delivered cold.

Horrendous photos posted on Facebook followed by comments of "great photo hun" or "you look gorgeous"when in reality they look like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Some folk need to recognise they are not photogenic, I know I'm not ;-)

Horrendous photos posted on Facebook followed by comments of "great photo hun" or "you look gorgeous"when in reality they look like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Some folk need to recognise they are not photogenic, I know I'm not ;-)
    I think worse is horrendous photos of folks kids on Twitter that are ugly as sin and folk commenting "gorgeous"

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    I think worse is horrendous photos of folks kids on Twitter that are ugly as sin and folk commenting "gorgeous"
    All children are beautiful in their own way. Ugly as sin could be used for the way someone acts as well as the way they look.

United we stand here....

😂😂😂

Since this thread has taken on a traffic theme:

Angry, impatient drivers. I know rush hour traffic is annoying but calm the **** down. The number of times I've almost been hit by cars going through a red light at the crossing in Newmarket (Auckland) is ridiculous. Red means stop. I thought that was a pretty simple rule.

People taking risks crossing a busy road with kids or a dog. Fine risk your own neck, judging by your actions your passing will only be mourned by the writers of the Darwin awards but your kids and pets don't need to go with you.

Lorry drivers, mostly those that don't come from Sweden and are drinving in the snow/ice no winter tires and drive so close to your arse that the can see which gear i'm in. I do love messing with them when we get to hill though.

The lack of smart planning on road closures. The amount of times the obvious diversion route is also clogged up with planned works is madness. It's as if the planners sit down and say right if we dig this road up what are the likely routes folk will take. Once those routes are identified they dig them up as well.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The lack of smart planning on road closures. The amount of times the obvious diversion route is also clogged up with planned works is madness. It's as if the planners sit down and say right if we dig this road up what are the likely routes folk will take. Once those routes are identified they dig them up as well.
    Happens regularly hereabouts.
    What I find more annoying is when they dig a hole, put up traffic lights then go away and leave it for weeks.

People who I've just met or don't know very well who shorten my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    People who I've just met or don't know very well who shorten my name.
    Well your full name is a bit of a mouth full Mika-Matti Petteri 😉

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Well your full name is a bit of a mouth full Mika-Matti Petteri 😉
    Ha Ha!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Toasters that aren't big enough for a standard sized bit of bread. Having to stop midway through to turn the bread upside down so it all gets done, but then the middle is more toasted than the top and bottom.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Toasters that aren't big enough for a standard sized bit of bread. Having to stop midway through to turn the bread upside down so it all gets done, but then the middle is more toasted than the top and bottom.
    Why would you buy something like that?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I didn't. It's the toaster at my work.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    When you're on a websites and press "<"
    After the page is refreshed you find you're still on the one you're trying to leave.

Blog Entries
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    It never strikes me to actually check on such a fundamental point, and I'm talking about toasters from well established companies who have been making these machines for years.

If the manufacturers can't/won't adapt, maybe bakers might take the issue on board. For instance, Warburton ( I know, but their bread's quite good ) have bread actually called 'Toastie' which is nowhere near the dimensions of a standard toaster.

I didn't. It's the toaster at my work.
    Why would you work somewhere like that?