hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Women's tennis is also shocking.

In football, the goals are too big, if they were smaller it would make the game much better rather just about every shot going in.
    What utter tripe.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I see plenty of disparaging remarks about the mens football team, are women immune of this? Womens football is fantastic for those who take part, its not for me but i have absolutely nothing against it.

The club i sometimes support should NEVER be funding it in my opinion, any money taken away from the mens team makes them weaker.

In fact i keep hearing folk and the club telling us just what buying a season ticket can do, or buying into HSL. Maybe if they told us some of this was going to help the women's team we'd not have as many, maybe we'd have more?

The MINUTE the womens team supply their first player for the mens team, thats when i will change my mind.

I'm against.
    That's a very stupid post as that can't happen. You're just a t-Rex BH.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Of course this should be done - but with the aim of producing players for the first team.
    Another one. Let's forget about Hibs as a community club then eh, coz the old way was working really well eh? You guys can't all be this blind or daft. The model for small football teams has changed massively. There is no place for sexism, racism in the modern world. But some of you wont change. Thankfully the younger generation are brighter and less bigoted.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    That's a very stupid post as that can't happen. You're just a t-Rex BH.

So you keep saying, where is the evidence that the club is getting stronger by having a women's team?

The women's team have been relatively successful, where is the knock on effect for the Men's team? What kind of success do you realistically expect that the men's team would have if we have a successful women's team?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Of course this should be done - but with the aim of producing players for the first team.
    I thought people wanted us to be more of a community football club. How does that work if it doesn't include something as basic as including women's Fitba?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I thought people wanted us to be more of a community football club. How does that work if it doesn't include something as basic as including women's Fitba?
    Some people might want us to be a community club, me personally i just want us to be a successful football club.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Debatable :) it was the smiley which provides sentiments for me.

We all have opinions but when I see more and more girls take up football, at grassroots and above, I find it poor that in 2015 people still voice these views on a forum where many females contribute.

For example I like tennis - what if I start 'yawning' at the prospect of wheelchair tennis on tv?

Like I say - pathetic in 2015
    See this is what annoys me! Soon as you say you don't like it folk automatically assume it's a sexiest comment. I find woman's football slow, boring and I'll be perfectly honest very poor standard!

Many will argue it's not and I'm fine with that. Same with Tennis it's a lot slower than the men's game and I just prefer a high tempo match! I've nothing at all against woman playing any sport and good on them if they are successful. But I don't find it entertaining unless it's the woman's volleyball!!!!! (Yes that was a tongue in cheek joke) 😁👍🏼

Next thing people will be suggesting that guys who coach women's teams only do it to try and see them in the showers.

Coaching Staff
    Another one. Let's forget about Hibs as a community club then eh, coz the old way was working really well eh? You guys can't all be this blind or daft. The model for small football teams has changed massively. There is no place for sexism, racism in the modern world. But some of you wont change. Thankfully the younger generation are brighter and less bigoted.
    You are being more disrespectful to fellow posters than we are being about women's football. No need for it.

My simple point is one about funding and it's not complicated. Whatever we do as a club should be around maximising the ability of the first team to do well.

For those that like it the women's game is a different thing. It just is and I resent the fact that this view is somehow bigoted or old fashioned. I'm all for people being involved in it. I just believe those people should then fund it.

Coaching Staff
    Let's be honest here. The community angle is so we can get more people supporting the team over time.

It's not really clear to me how women's football in Scotland is funded. Does anyone know?

For example, I was at the Spartans Academy for a youth game a few weeks ago and Hibs Women were playing Aberdeen Women. The Aberdeen team coach (bus) was parked in the car park at Ainslie Park and it looked like an executive quality coach - not out of place with a professional men's team. Does anyone know how this would have been paid for and for each and every week the women's teams travel around the country)?

What about match venues, referees, strips, training etc. Is this all funded by a third party (or through sponsorship) or do the players pay to play (like an amateur team)?

What about match fee. Do players receive any fee for playing?

How are Hibs Women funded? What is the annual cost to run the team?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Let's be honest here. The community angle is so we can get more people supporting the team over time.
    Well it makes sense to support a women's team then doesn't it? Young girls who enjoy football can dream of playing for Hibs just like any boy can and that can only benefit the club's female support.

I don't know what sort of money goes to the women's team but I would imagine if it was an amount that was actually detrimental to the first team it would be cut back, as it would be with anything the club does. It is a business at the end of day after all.

The argument of the standard or people's ability to enjoy women's football is one that will always be there to some extent no matter what is done and is going to cause controversy, personally I'll happily watch a match, but the greater controversy in my eyes would be if as a club we stopped our support of the women's team. This would cause nothing but bad press which could harm our support and that would damage the first team.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't know. Isn't the community side (including funding and that) separate to the club?

Maybe one of the guys (or girls) that want that can answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    It's not really clear to me how women's football in Scotland is funded. Does anyone know?

For example, I was at the Spartans Academy for a youth game a few weeks ago and Hibs Women were playing Aberdeen Women. The Aberdeen team coach (bus) was parked in the car park at Ainslie Park and it looked like an executive quality coach - not out of place with a professional men's team. Does anyone know how this would have been paid for and for each and every week the women's teams travel around the country)?

What about match venues, referees, strips, training etc. Is this all funded by a third party (or through sponsorship) or do the players pay to play (like an amateur team)?

What about match fee. Do players receive any fee for playing?

How are Hibs Women funded? What is the annual cost to run the team?
    Very little funding comes from the Club - they now get strips and training wear and use of training facilities.

The majority of SWPL players get no wage. Glasgow City are as close to full time as we have in scotland. All the Hibs girls are either still at college or work full time.

Most teams are funded through sponsorship, and fund raising activity. A wee example...Hibs boys U11s / 13s etc are fully funded by the club. The girls teams are funded from each team fund raising, or gaining sponsorship. Before anyone says thats fine as the u11 boys will become first team players.....name the last u11 boy to play for the first team.

It will change. There are less boys taking up football every year. The oposite is true of girls. One side of the game will grow, the other will continue to depleat. As a community club we need to do all we can to encourage growth in all sides of the game.

It won't change though because no matter how many girls play fitba none of them will ever play for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It won't change though because no matter how many girls play fitba none of them will ever play for Hibs.
    Eh? They are playing for Hibs already. Assuming they come 2nd in the SWPL this year they will enter the Champions League. If people dont think having a Hibs side (of any gender) in the Champions League isnt going to encourage young girls to get invovled in the Hibs Family then we are really wasting time having any type of debate.

Coaching Staff
    Very little funding comes from the Club - they now get strips and training wear and use of training facilities.

The majority of SWPL players get no wage. Glasgow City are as close to full time as we have in scotland. All the Hibs girls are either still at college or work full time.

Most teams are funded through sponsorship, and fund raising activity. A wee example...Hibs boys U11s / 13s etc are fully funded by the club. The girls teams are funded from each team fund raising, or gaining sponsorship. Before anyone says thats fine as the u11 boys will become first team players.....name the last u11 boy to play for the first team.

It will change. There are less boys taking up football every year. The oposite is true of girls. One side of the game will grow, the other will continue to depleat. As a community club we need to do all we can to encourage growth in all sides of the game.
    Okay so the focus should be on ensuring that if there are less boys playing then we try and get more of them into the club and better ones and ensure they are fully developed into the first team.

I don't know the last player to come all the way through, we haven't been good enough at it, but I want the current under 11 team to be the Hibs first team in 10 years.

Thanks for that. I still don't fully understand the funding but seems to be more or less akin to an amateur team with sponsorship and fundraising being the main sources with the club providing access to facilities and use of strips.

The Aberdeen coach reference was to try and understand why so much would be spent on a coach of this quality when most amateur teams would drive or hire a wee mini-bus if they were coming to Edinburgh. It must have cost a lot of money but maybe it is being sponsored or provided in kind.

I do get your argument re the women's game. It hasn't really been given the profile it needs in Scotland but I watched a bit of the last World Cup in Sweden (I think) and the crowds were huge - and the top teams were excellent. Maybe Hibs are correct to hedge their bets on this as the Women's game is really starting to take off in other parts of the world and Scotland (and Hibs) are probably well structured and placed to piggy back on this.

But t does need to be sustainable on its own imo. It sounds like it more or less is at the moment. I am sure those involved will have a business plan for this side of things that would support any further investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Thanks for that. I still don't fully understand the funding but seems to be more or less akin to an amateur team with sponsorship and fundraising being the main sources with the club providing access to facilities and use of strips.

The Aberdeen coach reference was to try and understand why so much would be spent on a coach of this quality when most amateur teams would drive or hire a wee mini-bus if they were coming to Edinburgh. It must have cost a lot of money but maybe it is being sponsored or provided in kind.

I do get your argument re the women's game. It hasn't really been given the profile it needs in Scotland but I watched a bit of the last World Cup in Sweden (I think) and the crowds were huge - and the top teams were excellent. Maybe Hibs are correct to hedge their bets on this as the Women's game is really starting to take off in other parts of the world and Scotland (and Hibs) are probably well structured and placed to piggy back on this.

But t does need to be sustainable on its own imo. It sounds like it more or less is at the moment. I am sure those involved will have a business plan for this side of things that would support any further investment.
    I think Aberdeen may borrow the Mens coach / bus when its available. Especially when they have so far to travel to away games.
    I agree about it having to be sustainable, but no teams start out that way. They need funding and support initially to get them to a level to bring more fans in. Longer term I'd expect them to be playing at Easter Road - either same day as the mens game, or the day after. They had a few games there last season and it makes a huge difference to them.
    My point has always been it wouldnt take much to turn that team into the best in scotland and up there with Chelsea \ man City down south.

I think Aberdeen may borrow the Mens coach / bus when its available. Especially when they have so far to travel to away games.
    I agree about it having to be sustainable, but no teams start out that way. They need funding and support initially to get them to a level to bring more fans in. Longer term I'd expect them to be playing at Easter Road - either same day as the mens game, or the day after. They had a few games there last season and it makes a huge difference to them.
    My point has always been it wouldnt take much to turn that team into the best in scotland and up there with Chelsea \ man City down south.
    I agree.

Nearly everytime someone who plays a sport is identified as a Hibby, the majority support them, whether it be darts, tennis etc, etc. Therefore, girls/women who are actually playing for Hibs, and in a Hibs strip, should IMHO, be afforded the same respect.

If anyone was playing tiddlywinks and it was in a Hibs top, I'd support them and especially against Hearts

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Nearly everytime someone who plays a sport is identified as a Hibby, the majority support them, whether it be darts, tennis etc, etc. Therefore, girls/women who are actually playing for Hibs, and in a Hibs strip, should IMHO, be afforded the same respect.

If anyone was playing tiddlywinks and it was in a Hibs top, I'd support them and especially against Hearts
    What she said. Too many folk here stuck in the 70's. The Women's game is rapidly expanding, so apart from the equality argument & it's very much in Hibs interest to develop a competitive women's team.GG

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Nearly everytime someone who plays a sport is identified as a Hibby, the majority support them, whether it be darts, tennis etc, etc.

That's a good point. Any chance of diverting the money the women get and setting up a Hibs pub games team instead?

That's a good point. Any chance of diverting the money the women get and setting up a Hibs pub games team instead?
    Yes, and you can stand in as the dartboard to save enough more cash

Done! That's the nothing they get sent to you!

http://www.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/6225.php

Link to the recent deal between Aberdeen Ladies and Aberdeen Football Club. I spent a few years within the women's football set up in Aberdeen so it's great to see the ladies team getting the backing of the club as I know for years this has been something they have set out to achieve.

To those asking what the club gains, I know smaller clubs where money might not be as available will help their women's teams with kits, training kits, use of training facilities in return for help on mens matchdays with selling tickets and programmes. Some of the younger Hibs ladies players help with selling Happy Hibee tickets at ER.

It shouldn't be about asking what can the men's team gain from women playing football, the nature of a game is going the way that anyone can play for a specific club (I.e under the name Hibernian) whether that be mens teams, women's teams, youth teams, school kids and that's how football should be. I'm not saying the masses need to go and support them, just that the opportunity is there.

All the big clubs in the country can see womens footballs rapid growth, hence having all their own set ups. If it was really that poor to watch, that growth in the sport wouldn't be there.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Despite posturing to the contrary by the posters involved their comments are overtly sexist.

Hiding behind the "I don't want my money going to help fund it argument" doesn't change the context of their comments.

I find it difficult to believe that anything which brings exposure or credt to the name of Hibernian can't be embraced by all.

In comparative terms Hibs women's team is fighting the same battle maybe even a bigger battle given that Glasgow City rather than both Rangers & Celtic are their opponents and doing far far better than the men's team in meeting the challenge.

The women's team provide tons of players to the Scottish women's team at all age groups .

Many of these players are Hibs daft as well.

It's just incredibly mean spirited not to recognise and complement them on their achievements and the schoolboy "humour" that surrounds some of the comments are pathetic.

I want to see Hibs teams of whatever gender and whatever age doing well.

I know Hibs ladies captain pretty well and her dedication to her sport puts many of her male counterparts to shame.

I read lots of statements on Hibs net about folk wanting to win amateur football titles, bowling ties, golf ties etc etc.

All those involved want to do is compete at their own level.

The women's and men's games aren't the same but I don't see the need to make disparaging remarks about it, I don't see those remarks over non elite men's sports and Hibs women play at an elite level.
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 04-06-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Despite posturing to the contrary by the posters involved their comments are overtly sexist.

Hiding behind the "I don't want my money going to help fund it argument" doesn't change the context of their comments.

I find it difficult to believe that anything which brings exposure or credt to the name of Hibernian can't be embraced by all.

In comparative terms Hibs women's team is fighting the same battle maybe even a bigger battle given that Glasgow City rather than both Rangers & Celtic are their opponents and doing far far better than the men's team in meeting the challenge.

The women's team provide tons of players to the Scottish women's team at all age groups .

Many of these players are Hibs daft as well.

It's just incredibly mean spirited not to recognise and complement them on their achievements and the schoolboy "humour" that surrounds some of the comments are pathetic.

I want to see Hibs teams of whatever gender and whatever age doing well.

I know Hibs ladies captain pretty well and her dedication to her sport puts many of her male counterparts to shame.

I read lots of statements on Hibs net about folk wanting to win amateur football titles, bowling ties, golf ties etc etc.

All those involved want to do is compete at their own level.

The women's and men's games aren't the same but I don't see the need to make disparaging remarks about it, I don't see those remarks over non elite men's sports and Hibs women play at an elite level.
    You must have missed or mis-read many of the responses then, as I don't think anyone has questioned their efforts, their achievements and the right of everyone involved to go and enjoy what they are doing.

Quite simply its not a sport I want to watch. I also wouldn't want to watch if Hibs started a mens rugby team under the banner.

I have supported and funded the club and the infrastructure to benefit the team that I do want to watch and I want the money I put in to continue to be focused there.

It's pretty ignorant to put that down as any sort of sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You must have missed or mis-read many of the responses then, as I don't think anyone has questioned their efforts, their achievements and the right of everyone involved to go and enjoy what they are doing.

Quite simply its not a sport I want to watch. I also wouldn't want to watch if Hibs started a mens rugby team under the banner.

I have supported and funded the club and the infrastructure to benefit the team that I do want to watch and I want the money I put in to continue to be focused there.

It's pretty ignorant to put that down as any sort of sexism.
    So would you also like us to remove the funding that goes towards shools iniatives, disabled sport, health...all under the Hibs banner and all in some way "taking" money away from the mens team.

A wise man once said 'I have a few words to say'........a wiser man might well as kept his mouth shut.

As I am not wise I am going to say a few words without reading all the posts in this thread.

I used to attend ladies football games occasionally in Texas and California, mostly at collegiate level and some of the football was very good although on the whole I don't think it is strong and admit I have never attended a ladies game here.

However I see no problem with Hibs promoting, supporting and financing ladies football. I don't think the money we spend on ladies football has contributed to our recent decline in fortunes. Hibs new born baby girls, schoolgirls and mums are part of the Hibs 'community', (whatever community really means).

I do appreciate that some people find it of little interest but until it can be proved that it is detracting from the finances of the club at a level detrimental to the mens first team, I think involving as many people as possible in Hibernian Football Club is a positive.

Whilst on this I would also say I think I have been consistent and have said for a while, Hibs should be involved even more in the community and doing things occasionally like getting the players on the bus and taking them unannounced to visit sick kids in hospital, schools with limited resources and handing out a few presents, like scarves, balls etc. Yes, it costs a little money but it is mainly time

I know, I should have kept my mouth shut.