hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Two leagues of twelve, splitting into 3 leagues of 8.

The article points out it was a system used in both Switzerland and Austria(hadn't hard of it in Austria, but I'll take his word for it). What it fails to mention was that it has long since been dumped over there.

Can't they just give up on there complicated scenarios and have a top league of 16-18?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

The article points out it was a system used in both Switzerland and Austria(hadn't hard of it in Austria, but I'll take his word for it). What it fails to mention was that it has long since been dumped over there.

Can't they just give up on there complicated scenarios and have a top league of 16-18?
    Exactly this. Was used in Slovakia briefly and emptied there too!

@hibs.net private member
    I dont think I understand it? You keep the points already gained?

So the teams at the top of the championship who've bagged loads of points against Alloa and Dumbarton take those with them and join the teams who don't have many after having been battered by Celtic and Aberdeen?

I still think that 12-12 splitting into 8-8-8 is a good idea, but it was rejected two years ago so can't see it being approved any time soon.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    The Sunday Post article gives no reference to what most supporters want ie larger leagues,obviating the need to play the same teams four times. Instead it states what sponsors and broadcasters would like.
    If restructure comes it must be a system suited to fans and supporters first,sponsors and broadcasters second.
    I don't think His have benefitted from TV money when considering the substantial number of supporters who stay away from televised games particularly those with Sunday and Saturday early kick offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I dont think I understand it? You keep the points already gained?

So the teams at the top of the championship who've bagged loads of points against Alloa and Dumbarton take those with them and join the teams who don't have many after having been battered by Celtic and Aberdeen?
    Not quite, Hibs would have kept the points won against Hearts, Rangers and QoS, Motherwell would have had the points won against the 3 other top league teams coming down.

Really, it's a system that would give the lower four an advantage, as they'll likely have been winning games, while the top four would have presumably been struggling to end up coming down I the first place. Seems a bit convoluted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Not quite, Hibs would have kept the points won against Hearts, Rangers and QoS, Motherwell would have had the points won against the 3 other top league teams coming down.

Really, it's a system that would give the lower four an advantage, as they'll likely have been winning games, while the top four would have presumably been struggling to end up coming down I the first place. Seems a bit convoluted.
    Cheers mate - that makes more sense to me. Still ridiculous like but makes sense.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post

While im not against the the leagues of 8 idea they are talking about keeping points won against certain teams seems like a complete faff, would be better off resetting everyones points in each of the the three leagues and starting again, would give more of a chance to those in the top 8 of challenging celtic for the title as well.

would still prefer 2 16 team leagues and change to the league cup structure, maybe the fact that there will be pretty big teams (Us, rangers, St Mirren and Falkirk) likely to be at the top end of the table next season would work in favour of expanding the league to 16 rather than sticking with 12.

Don't see why we can't go to a top league set up of 16 I understand the format currently being discussed but I don't see the need or requirement to make it more complicated. Keep it simple or have a play off situation for the title like they do in rugby pro 12. Two down 2 automatic relegations. 1 auto promotion and 1 play off like they do down south

Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    Don't see why we can't go to a top league set up of 16 I understand the format currently being discussed but I don't see the need or requirement to make it more complicated. Keep it simple or have a play off situation for the title like they do in rugby pro 12. Two down 2 automatic relegations. 1 auto promotion and 1 play off like they do down south

Agreed, but sixteen teams means four less home games.

I can't see many clubs going for that unless they increase matches in other competitions.

I can't see many clubs going for that unless they increase matches in other competitions.
    Or perhaps Ladbrokes are offering more money if Rangers are in the top league?

Left by mutual consent!

Then make the league cup actual mini leagues.

If they want the Huns up then they have to increase the leagues, so this 12-12 with 3x8 split will never take off.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Any kind of league structure that includes the resetting of points after x amount of games to give clubs more of a chance to win the title is an abortion of an idea. It's almost as bad as the structure in some sports where the top two teams (no matter what the points difference betwenn them is) play a final to determine the champions for that season.

Absolute tosh that completely devalues the entire league.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Play each other twice, leagues split in half, play your half of the league twice again. 44 games a season. The English Championship manages less.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    If they want the Huns up then they have to increase the leagues,
    never going to happen,
    if we remember in 2009 i think it was, the then SPL undertook a 6 month investigation into how to improve the stale situation in scottish football...We all waited for the report, rumours of summer football and a 18 team league were being talked about.
    Then at a press conference, donkey doncaster released the new vision to the world.
    • We will keep playing football in winter.
    • move to a 10 team league.
    • certain teams can disappear of for friendly matches at will,turning it into a laughing stock.
    and the propsal was rightly rejected.
    ......and then funnily enough months later Henry McLeish released his report on scottish football which conveniently made the same recommendations for a 10 team league.

As much as I'd like to see a 16 or 18 team league,I don't see the clubs ever voting for a league to play less games, unless we get a proper broadcast rights deal instead of the mickeymouse one percent of the EPL deal we get at thew moment, to fill the gap financially.
    Last edited by seanshow; 31-05-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    never going to happen,
    if we remember in 2009 i think it was, the then SPL undertook a 6 month investigation into how to improve the stale situation in scottish football...We all waited for the report, rumours of summer football and a 18 team league were being talked about.
    Then at a press conference, donkey doncaster released the new vision to the world.
    • We will keep playing football in winter.
    • move to a 10 team league.
    • certain teams can disappear of for friendly matches at will,turning it into a laughing stock.

and the propsal was rightly rejected.
    ......and then funnily enough months later Henry McLeish released his report on scottish football which conveniently made the same recommendations for a 10 team league.

As much as I'd like to see a 16 or 18 team league,I don't see the clubs ever voting for a league to play less games, unless we get a proper broadcast rights deal instead of the mickeymouse one percent of the EPL deal we get at thew moment, to fill the gap financially.

And the crowds keep falling...falling...falling....
    p4 times a season against the same old, same old is finished I even enjoyed the novelty of playing different teams in different venues this season

I never get the complaint about playing teams 4 times a season. Maybe because I mainly go to home games so only see two of them. Every match plays out different though, regardless who the opposition is. I do support a bigger league but, even the two leagues splitting into three 8's sounds like it may be ok

@hibs.net private member
    16-16-10, play 30 games, but if we must increase the number games. Play off for relegation, Championship and European places could introduced. It's time they started listening to the fans rather than boardcasters

@hibs.net private member

How about a Scots Pro model 16 team league?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    16-16-10, play 30 games, but if we must increase the number games. Play off for relegation, Championship and European places could introduced. It's time they started listening to the fans rather than boardcasters
    Absolutely correct the argument against a 16 team league used to be not enough strong teams. That is now demonstrably tosh. The current anti 16 line is not enough games and/Or not enough big games for TV deals like 4 Old Firms and Edinburgh derbies. Yet it would be pretty simple to construct a series of splits at season end after 30 games to have an exciting season finale that would probably eventually include a further 2 old firm games and other big games if the top 6 split and played each other home and away as additional games. All points carried forward.The title would be at stake as would all the euro places bar one. In Belgium the 8 teams below the top 6 go into 2 sections of 4 play each other home and away. The section winners play off to then take on the 4th or 5th or 6th team in the top 6 for the final euro slot. They also have play offs for the bottom 2 clubs for relegation. Though we could just relegate one or both or make one or both play off with top clubs in league below. We can modify this ourselves. I prefer this to the 12-12 and split into 3 8s as I think the 3 8s will not allow Scottish youth to flourish whereas the 16 league model

A 16 team league means fewer home games and a loss of income. Any attempt to compensate for the missing four home games by having a league cup group won't work because the extra games will be against third and fourth division opposition, so won't be as attractive to us as playing the Yams or Ugly Sisters.

Eighteen would be the way forward - combining the twelve Premiership sides with the top six from the second tier would still leave out the likes of Dunfermline, Morton and Ayr based on last season, so there is plenty of potential strength in depth. The only problem will be that matches for the middle teams from February onwards are going to be increasingly meaningless as they will be too far behind for a European place but safely clear of the three relegation spots.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Surely 50% of Championship teams would vote yes as it would mean instant promotion. Likewise, St. Mirren would definitely vote yes.

J
    I agree they would problem is the smaller teams would look at this season and say well only one team went up, so under this understanding only one may go up next season. This means either Hibs or The Rangers will be in our division next again season bringing more fans.
    If we give them next seasons parachute payment and nothing more, they would get that on gate receipts and possibly more if one of us doesn't get promoted.
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    Any kind of league structure that includes the resetting of points after x amount of games to give clubs more of a chance to win the title is an abortion of an idea. It's almost as bad as the structure in some sports where the top two teams (no matter what the points difference betwenn them is) play a final to determine the champions for that season.

Absolute tosh that completely devalues the entire league.
    So does the play offs.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    So does the play offs.
    Couldn't agree more!

Only in Scotland!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    A 16 team league means fewer home games and a loss of income. Any attempt to compensate for the missing four home games by having a league cup group won't work because the extra games will be against third and fourth division opposition, so won't be as attractive to us as playing the Yams or Ugly Sisters.

Eighteen would be the way forward - combining the twelve Premiership sides with the top six from the second tier would still leave out the likes of Dunfermline, Morton and Ayr based on last season, so there is plenty of potential strength in depth. The only problem will be that matches for the middle teams from February onwards are going to be increasingly meaningless as they will be too far behind for a European place but safely clear of the three relegation spots.
    What if League reconstruction is a success and drives up crowds? Many games play to half-empty crowds. What if sponsorship and TV revenue increase?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    What if League reconstruction is a success and drives up crowds? Many games play to half-empty crowds. What if sponsorship and TV revenue increase?
    I think they were also talking about a split whigh would see the bottom 4 play the top 4 of the championship to see who stays up and who goes down....so many formats!!! Can't remember if that format was based on 2 leagues premier 1 and premier 2.....

At the moment we play 38 games in the premiership, with a 16 team league you'd play the 1st 30 games ( that's 2 against everyone ) then split into 2x8 playing each other once giving you a 37 game season just from the league itself I'd have 2 teams relegated with the no.1 team from championship automatically promoted and like in England teams 2,3,4,5 play off to have a one off match at Hampden for the 2nd promotion spot, the same would happen for the league below and have a weekend play off final like England, that'll give you end of season excitement.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Couldn't agree more!

Only in Scotland!
    They have play offs in England.

Same applies, a third placed team can finish 20 points ahead of a 6th placed team, yet the sixth placed team can go up.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    They have play offs in England.

Same applies, a third placed team can finish 20 points ahead of a 6th placed team, yet the sixth placed team can go up.
    Any "league" system which rewards a team that finishes 6th ahead of those in 3rd, 4th and 5th is a joke. Positions are earned over an entire season then turned into it's a knockout. Absolutely ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Any "league" system which rewards a team that finishes 6th ahead of those in 3rd, 4th and 5th is a joke. Positions are earned over an entire season then turned into it's a knockout. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Agreed, it's box office but unfair.