hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the fans a 16 team league playing each team twice would be ideal. It would give everyone more of a chance against the OF and would give less of a congested programme over the season, plus it would cost less. Away trips might be more attractive since you only have to visit once. However the clubs especially the smaller clubs won't agree to only one visit from the OF and less home games. Also TV want 4 OF games.

I think it is short sighted, as the league would be more attractive and in turn would bring in more fans. The OF might not like if there is a chance other teams might challenge for the league.
    It's usually the mid sized clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd who object to this set up.
    It's three less home games a year so budgets would have to be cut.
    Less cat A games as well.
    Not saying it's not the best solution, just that it's usually our club who object to this first.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A league of 14 or 16 teams has been discussed for some years now and has had broad support amongst any fans groups who have been asked to voice an opinion, not to mention on here. ....... 18 is never going to happen though.

If the real prospect of the current buns failing to go up concentrates minds on the subject I for one wont be complaining about it, especially if it benefits us. It can happen in time for next season with an 8/8 or 10/6 split. The evidence that it might happen and the up side for clubs is pretty clear to me.

Not 3 months ago the national team manager was saying it will benefit the game.
    The players union is now making noises about clubs going part time.
    There has to be clauses in the new league sponsorship deal for The Rangers not being in the top league.
    The SPFL are about to push for a new TV deal, their bargaining position will increase hugely with the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee derbies on the table.
    Not one of the possible 16 clubs is going to vote against this, especially the ones who will benefit from the The Rangers and Hibs bigger away supports and the ones like us who will go up as a result.

As it stands the chances of any championship club outside of The Rangers, Hibs or St Mirren being promoted next season under the current system are slim to none. If you are chairman of Falkirk and you have the prospect of a championship next year minus The Rangers, Hibs, QOTS and St Mirren with two automatic promotion places and at least one play off place, what would you vote for?

To give a years public notice of any league expansion rendering a third of the following season meaningless to at least half the clubs and their supporters would be economic suicide ..... I cant believe even our blazers would be that stupid.

As far as I can see there is every reason to do this now ..... the fact that it might be doing the right thing for the wrong reasons I.E. the promotion of the current buns makes the pill a wee bit harder to swallow .... but if the pill cures so many ills, frankly who cares.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 29-05-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    A league of 14 or 16 teams has been discussed for some years now and has had broad support amongst any fans groups who have been asked to voice an opinion, not to mention on here. ....... 18 is never going to happen though.

If the real prospect of the current buns failing to go up concentrates minds on the subject I for one wont be complaining about it, especially if it benefits us. It can happen in time for next season with an 8/8 or 10/6 split. The evidence that it might happen and the up side for clubs is pretty clear to me.

Not 3 months ago the national team manager was saying it will benefit the game.
    The players union is now making noises about clubs going part time.
    There has to be clauses in the new league sponsorship deal for The Rangers not being in the top league.
    The SPFL are about to push for a new TV deal, their bargaining position will increase hugely with the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee derbies on the table.
    Not one of the possible 16 clubs is going to vote against this, especially the ones who will benefit from the The Rangers and Hibs bigger away supports.

As it stands the chances of any championship club outside of The Rangers, Hibs or St Mirren being promoted next season under the current system are slim to none. If you are chairman of Falkirk or QOTS and you have the prospect of a championship next year minus The Rangers, Hibs and St Mirren with two automatic promotion places and at least one play off place, what would you vote for?

To give a years public notice of any league expansion rendering a third of the following season meaningless to at least half the clubs and their supporters would be economic suicide ..... I cant believe even our blazers would be that stupid.

As far as I can see there is every reason to do this now ..... the fact that it might be doing the right thing for the wrong reasons I.E. the promotion of the current buns makes the pill a wee bit harder to swallow .... but if the pill cures so many ills, frankly who cares.
    Except you need all 42 clubs to agree

First Team Breakthrough
    No idea if it might happen but if they don't go up the SPFL will be extremely worried about an already troubled scenario in Scotland Didn't fancy them to beat 'Well and I think am not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Except you need all 42 clubs to agree
    I'm quite sure there are ways to change that. As it is I cant see why any club would vote against to be honest, bearing in mind that to beef up the leagues below several clubs who would not have been promoted will be because we will almost certainly revert to 3 top leagues rather than 4

Besides ....... any business which rigidly sticks to a rule or operating method which is so obviously counter productive to its well being is heading for the buffers IMO.

For the upcoming season the format will be the same.

I think there is a high possibly we will see futhur discussions made about at the end of the coming season the top league expanding.

16 I believe would be the way forward - play each team twice - crowds and excitement would build as league would be closer plus we will only see certain teams once a season at ER. Fans are bored of the 4+ times they play each other and the associated costs.

Meaningless games - possibly only towards end of season but keep the derbies later plus other leagues have meaningless games.

Keep play offs - but make them like England - possibly regionalise the leagues below but have a one off winner takes all game to be promoted.

Haven't had a chance to read all this but anything in here about change of league structure ?

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/

What's the latest about voting structure ? Still 10-2 in top league ?

there's no chance of a bigger top league for this coming season

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    there's no chance of a bigger top league for this coming season
    Probably not. I cant think of a single down side for Hibs or the game in general of changing the set up now. I can think of a pile of advantages across the board ........ so as you say it wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Probably not. I cant think of a single down side for Hibs or the game in general of changing the set up now. I can think of a pile of advantages across the board ........ so as you say it wont happen.
    Sporting integrity?

We knew what we were playing for at the start of last season, we failed, The Rangers look like failing, we should be in the Championship next season, end of story.

Before a ball is kicked next season we should sort out exactly what is happening next summer re organisation/ league reconstruction.

As soon as the season starts it is too late - you cannot change what you are playing for mid-competition.

There is enough of a whiff of different types of corruption around football at the moment to go moving goalposts.

FWIW I am in favour of league reconstruction to a bigger league and I am in favour of better wealth distribution in the Scottish game to enhance the "competitive" nature of the leagues and improve the spectacle. I think there's a lot that is good about Scottish football that could potentially be even better but we have to get away from the mindset that it's all about 2 teams.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I think most of us agree that the league set-up does need overhauled, possibly bigger premier and championship, FA style play-off final at Hampden, but whatever the clubs agree, I hope they agree an implementation date 2 or 3 years after the meeting. It wouldn't sit well with me if it looked like changes were made because some clubs are "too big" to sit in the lower leagues, ourselves included. We are where we are on merit and I don't like the idea of our club being tarnished with any impropriety!

EDIT: just seen Smartie's post above, couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Sporting integrity?

We knew what we were playing for at the start of last season, we failed, The Rangers look like failing, we should be in the Championship next season, end of story.

Before a ball is kicked next season we should sort out exactly what is happening next summer re organisation/ league reconstruction.

As soon as the season starts it is too late - you cannot change what you are playing for mid-competition.

There is enough of a whiff of different types of corruption around football at the moment to go moving goalposts.

FWIW I am in favour of league reconstruction to a bigger league and I am in favour of better wealth distribution in the Scottish game to enhance the "competitive" nature of the leagues and improve the spectacle. I think there's a lot that is good about Scottish football that could potentially be even better but we have to get away from the mindset that it's all about 2 teams.
    What good is it really to tell clubs an entire season in advance that if they finish top 4 they are promoted and potentially no one gets relegated - you would have lots of meaningless games. At least if they did go for reconstruction the season was conducted in a competitive nature at the end of the regular season all 3 teams still had the possibility of going up and due to reconstruction they did - personally I think that is preferable than having a sterile season.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Sporting integrity?

If it wasn't for the fact that we have been banging on about wanting a bigger league for the last 3 seasons I would agree with you. I'm not pretending getting the current buns into the top league wouldn't be what finally gets the SPFL off their ***** and doing what they should already have done before now ..... but they wouldn't be the first club to benefit from league reconstruction in Scotland or around the world and they wont be the last. For me the benefits to everybody outweigh my revulsion of the Huns.

Don't think it'll happen in time for next season but reckon there's every chance of it happening for the season after. Their gonna have to get the ball rolling on that cause they need some sort of plan for when we win the league and rangers find themselves in this league for a third year.

I'm fed up hearing about the "it's less home games" argument and "budgets will need to be cut". Simple solution is that every single club goes into the cups at the 1st round, or regionalise the league cup up til the quarter finals. Problem solved. You're welcome

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    For the upcoming season the format will be the same.

I think there is a high possibly we will see futhur discussions made about at the end of the coming season the top league expanding.

16 I believe would be the way forward - play each team twice - crowds and excitement would build as league would be closer plus we will only see certain teams once a season at ER. Fans are bored of the 4+ times they play each other and the associated costs.

Meaningless games - possibly only towards end of season but keep the derbies later plus other leagues have meaningless games.

Keep play offs - but make them like England - possibly regionalise the leagues below but have a one off winner takes all game to be promoted.

Haven't had a chance to read all this but anything in here about change of league structure ?

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/

What's the latest about voting structure ? Still 10-2 in top league ?

SPFL Articles of Association

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__arti...1420461960.pdf

Page 8, To pass an ordinary resolution, which I think covers the number of clubs in each division, requires a 75% majority of Premiership clubs, 75% of Championship Clubs and 75% of Div 1 and 2 clubs.

I don't think the ugly sisters can block anything by themselves any more.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I'm fed up hearing about the "it's less home games" argument and "budgets will need to be cut". Simple solution is that every single club goes into the cups at the 1st round, or regionalise the league cup up til the quarter finals. Problem solved. You're welcome
    It would be great for the wee incy wincy teams drawing a premier club in the Scottish. I like the idea.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    SPFL Articles of Association

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__arti...1420461960.pdf

Page 8, To pass an ordinary resolution, which I think covers the number of clubs in each division, requires a 75% majority of Premiership clubs, 75% of Championship Clubs and 75% of Div 1 and 2 clubs.

I don't think the ugly sisters can block anything by themselves any more.
    CBA reading through it....

Does reconstruction need an OR, or would it have to be a Special Resolution?

FWIW, I couldn't see 75% of the Championship clubs voting for reconstruction if it was going to lose them the income from Rangers and Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

FWIW, I couldn't see 75% of the Championship clubs voting for reconstruction if it was going to lose them the income from Rangers and Hibs.
    I think it would be ordinary. The league revenue is split 1 to 42 through all the leagues, so the make up of each league does not alter the overall position or income which would require a Special Resolution to amend .

And, no I can't find the voting requirements for Special R's anywhere.

Afterthought , Championship clubs could go for a bigger top div. if they see the opportunity of getting up there.
    Last edited by greenginger; 29-05-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    All this talk of hurried legislation for reconstruction is a bit premature as it won't surprise me if Sevco beat Motherwell on penalties. Everything will then be hunky dory till Celtic and Sevco decide what's going to happen.

Not insurmountable

If the TV & sponsor contracts would net say £1m extra for the sport (with Hibs and Rangers in the top tier) but 6 clubs might lose £40k each from loss of revenue from the games in 15/16, organise to pay them that parachute payment and the greater good is served, plus injured parties reimbursed

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post

Or bring back the qualifying divisions for the league cup. Minimum 6 games at the start of the season. I used to enjoy them back in the day.

Boys Gate 9 d,, adults 1/6 , bet that's got all under 50's thinking

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Or bring back the qualifying divisions for the league cup. Minimum 6 games at the start of the season. I used to enjoy them back in the day.

Boys Gate 9 d,, adults 1/6 , bet that's got all under 50's thinking
    7.5p to get in. Bring it back 😀

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

Surely 50% of Championship teams would vote yes as it would mean instant promotion. Likewise, St. Mirren would definitely vote yes.

J

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Surely 50% of Championship teams would vote yes as it would mean instant promotion. Likewise, St. Mirren would definitely vote yes.

J
    They need 75%, though.

Promising Youngster
    It's not going to happen .
    Let's just get a team that can win the league and get 15k back to ER every home game and look after ourselves .

Quote Originally Posted by malagahibby View Post
    It's not going to happen .
    Let's just get a team that can win the league and get 15k back to ER every home game and look after ourselves .
    Not this season it won't. But do you honestly think their gonna risk rangers being in this division for a third year in a row? They need to start making plans now for when we win the league next year.

Agree 75 % wouldn't vote for this as the whole purpose of the last reconstruction was to spread more money down the divisions They rightly won't want to change that ,and those in the Championshiip probably can't believe hibs and rangers are still there for another season ( depending on Sunday's game of course ) ,guaranteeing them big crowds for those games they play us at home .St Mirren if in top four ,are also capable of taking a reasonable away support and Morton will also have novelty factor and have decent travelling support .Am almost talking myself round to looking forward to another Season down there
    However it's the thought of how difficult it could be be to get promoted next season that is the Financial crux of the matter for us Will be interesting to see how Season Tickets fair once it's clear Rangers are in the Championship I think we would of seen an increase in sales if they had gone up but it's now all down to what quality players we can keep and who we can bring in .The longer that process takes I think Sales will remain fairly static

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    So not next season then?

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    I was at a function last night and was speaking to someone high up in the SFA. He stated there there is absolutley no chance of any league reconstruction for 2015/16.

He started getting a bit evasive when pushed on 2016/17.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!