hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not going to happen for next season but every chance for 2016/17 to ensure Huns and us go up. Agree the Huns will strengthen massively in the summer and might stroll the league, but the SFA/SPFL will not want to risk a repeat of the Yam situation with Hibs winning the league and Huns getting dumped in the POs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easily changed to suit mate . The Rangers will be promoted no matter what is what i heard
    Where from? Bloke in the pub? Conspiracy theorist on the internet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I think the tie's done, personally.

I can't see a Premiership side losing a two goal lead, going into the home leg against a Championship team.
    Cheeky. Keep us out of it.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

I can't see a Premiership side losing a two goal lead, going into the home leg against a Championship team.
    Bet you thought somebody would have picked you up on this long before now!!!

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Can't see reconstruction happening, certainly not for the start of next season

I only watched the last 15 minutes or so and Rangers had the better chances during that period and Motherwell players looked tired So if Rangers can get the first goal you never know ,but it's hard to see Motherwell not scoring against them at home if they managed three away from home .

Surely giving 1 years notice for league reconstruction makes that year almost meaningless for a large majority of teams? I.e no relegation or promotion to play for, therefore what is the point?

If hibs know it's going to happen year after next, why bother with the season? Play young team and save money for the next again season

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    I only watched the last 15 minutes or so and Rangers had the better chances during that period and Motherwell players looked tired
    I only saw the highlights, but the Motherwell tactics seemed to be to hit them on the break. A few times I saw the full backs sprinting up the wings whenever 'Well broke, so it's little wonder they tired. I doubt they will adopt the same tactics going into the home game with a 3-1 lead and might be able to pace themselves.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

I've done a wee bit of background reading on this subject.

The last time there was league reconstruction was agreed was in June 2013 when the Scottish Football League (SFL) clubs voted in favour, paving the way for the creation of the new Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL).

That decision to approve reconstruction plans followed the unanimous decision of the Scottish Premier League (SPL) clubs to give the proposals the go ahead, meaning the 2 league bodies merged to form the SPFL that summer. Whether that would be the case again, who knows, but see below.

At a meeting at Hampden, 23 SFL clubs voted to approve the change, with 6 voting against. 22 of the 29 clubs entitled to vote were required to vote in favour for the plans to be given the go ahead. That vote came just weeks after an indicative vote from SFL clubs failed to get 22 votes, prompting the threat of a breakaway by First Division clubs, who said they would apply to join the SPL. Talks subsequently persuaded a change of heart by some clubs. I wonder what it was that persuaded that change of heart? I can guess.

It was this reconstruction that introduced play-offs, and a new financial distribution plan that benefited then current first division clubs in particular.

I don't know how long the above decisions and plans had been in the making. Had the clubs been discussing this for months / years prior to this decision?

It seems to me (but I might be wrong) it's by no means certain that further league reconstruction would necessarily be agreed again, especially since the current set up has been in place for such a relatively short period of time. I suspect certain clubs will vote against any reconstruction in order to protect their own financial interests.

How feasible and / or practical it is for any league reconstruction taking place in time for next season is another matter. I don't think it would be feasible or practical, given the time constraints, and especially with clubs trying to plan and prepare for next season.

What would be sponsors views on any league reconstruction be and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    What would be sponsors views on any league reconstruction be and so on?
    Well researched and tend to agree with everything you've said, however, that last sentence would, in my opinion, be what determines whether it happens or not. Ladbrokes/sky/BT sports can have a hell of an influence and
    as someone mentioned earlier, a fairer share of sponsors and TV revenue could easily secure the required votes.

Apart from Hibs you mean? Remember last season when we were 2-0 up at New Douglas Park then lost on penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Well researched and tend to agree with everything you've said, however, that last sentence would, in my opinion, be what determines whether it happens or not. Ladbrokes/sky/BT sports can have a hell of an influence and
    as someone mentioned earlier, a fairer share of sponsors and TV revenue could easily secure the required votes.
    Cheers. You could well be right in what you say.

I would welcome league reconstruction for the start of next season (if it was to the benefit of Hibs) but whether that's going to be possible or not we'll know in the next few weeks maybe?
    Last edited by emerald green; 29-05-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Typo

When the SPFL was formed it was agreed that if there was to be further reorganisation within 3 years then it would need the unanimous approval of all 42 clubs.
    It's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When the SPFL was formed it was agreed that if there was to be further reorganisation within 3 years then it would need the unanimous approval of all 42 clubs.
    It's not going to happen.
    If it was to happen in 2016, which I believe is what most people are discussing, then that would be 3 years would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    Apart from Hibs you mean? Remember last season when we were 2-0 up at New Douglas Park then lost on penalties.
    I think Trigs tongue was firmly in his cheek when he posted that!

I'd keep what we have now. Not ideal but alternatives are all worse.unless we go back to bigger leagues playing each other twice.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    I only saw the highlights, but the Motherwell tactics seemed to be to hit them on the break. A few times I saw the full backs sprinting up the wings whenever 'Well broke, so it's little wonder they tired. I doubt they will adopt the same tactics going into the home game with a 3-1 lead and might be able to pace themselves.
    The two young subs he brought on did really well and were the reason they finished so strongly - I can see them both starting on Sun.

However, this is their 5th important game in two weeks so I think it will be hard for them to match Motherwell.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Cheers. You could be well be right in what you say.

I would welcome league reconstruction for the start of next season (if it was to the benefit of Hibs) but whether that's going to be possible or not we'll know in the next few weeks maybe?
    I personally don't think it will happen for next season.
    Only point I was making is that money talks, and if it does happen, it would be initiated by ladbrokes, BT sports and sky.
    We've probably all heard the (unsubstantiated) rumour of the clause in the ladbrokes sponsorship about minimum number of old firm derby's. :-)

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I'd keep what we have now. Not ideal but alternatives are all worse.unless we go back to bigger leagues playing each other twice.
    I think bigger leagues very much on the agenda.

Don't be too sure of Sevco failing!! With Craig Thomson reffing the 2nd leg, there is still hope for The New Bigots.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I personally don't think it will happen for next season.
    Only point I was making is that money talks, and if it does happen, it would be initiated by ladbrokes, BT sports and sky.
    We've probably all heard the (unsubstantiated) rumour of the clause in the ladbrokes sponsorship about minimum number of old firm derby's. :-)
    Me neither.

I agree again - money talks.

Ask Ladbrokes to quote a price for league reconstruction in place for next season today and ask again after the next leg if Rangers don't get through - there will be the answer

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Where from? Bloke in the pub? Conspiracy theorist on the internet?
    Staff member at Hamilton

It would be interesting to see how many of the people crying out for league reconstruction, to have more teams in the top flight, are the same people who are desperate to get out of this league as they are 'sick of going to sh*te holes' in the championship to play crap teams.

First Team Regular
    16 team league with a top 6 finals series like the A-league.
    celtic still favourites but not guaranteed.

Spfl is utterly boring as it is and dying on its erchie

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    For all we know there are two prices in the Sponsorship Contract. One with Rangers in the top flight, and one without.

For League Reconstruction to happen for next season, talks would have to be advanced, and the lower league clubs would have to know how much of that (extra) sugar would be heading their way.

Premier clubs would also have to recognise that it would mean less Celtic home games, but that would be balanced out by having more Rangers, Hibs and Hearts games.

It can be done, will it be done, not sure.

I'm sure that what ever basket case financial management plan The The Rangers have will be predicated in going up this season. That will hurt them.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jockodile View Post
    16 team league with a top 6 finals series like the A-league.
    celtic still favourites but not guaranteed.

Spfl is utterly boring as it is and dying on its erchie
    That would be a great set up but I can't see people in Scotland going for it. Too different from what they are used to.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar

could never possibly happen... could it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    For all we know there are two prices in the Sponsorship Contract. One with Rangers in the top flight, and one without.

For League Reconstruction to happen for next season, talks would have to be advanced, and the lower league clubs would have to know how much of that (extra) sugar would be heading their way.

Premier clubs would also have to recognise that it would mean less Celtic home games, but that would be balanced out by having more Rangers, Hibs and Hearts games.

It can be done, will it be done, not sure.

I'm sure that what ever basket case financial management plan The The Rangers have will be predicated in going up this season. That will hurt them.

J
    I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case. To the money men, the old firm game IS Scottish football and it's in their interests for it to happen sooner rather than later.

If Motherwell stay up it's pretty much guaranteed that "change" will happen for 16/17 if not sooner. It might end up being a procession as it's announced that four teams will be promoted this year with no relegation from the top flight.

Ladbrokes aren't some white knight and there's one reason they are putting money in which is the guarantee that they will eventually get something back...a bigotfest.

For the fans a 16 team league playing each team twice would be ideal. It would give everyone more of a chance against the OF and would give less of a congested programme over the season, plus it would cost less. Away trips might be more attractive since you only have to visit once. However the clubs especially the smaller clubs won't agree to only one visit from the OF and less home games. Also TV want 4 OF games.

I think it is short sighted, as the league would be more attractive and in turn would bring in more fans. The OF might not like if there is a chance other teams might challenge for the league.