hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fifa

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    China obviously wouldn't have the same issues but I'm not sure how they would feel about thousands of foreign nationals being allowed to wander around their country. Maybe I'm wrong, as I have never been there, but they do seem a bit suspicious of foreigners.
    China and FIFA would be the perfect match. Corruption isn't a by-product of the system, it is the system. The Chinese government are investing heavily in improving football skills from an early age and aim to host the World Cup, sooner rather than later. You can be sure no expense will be spared to make it happen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

China obviously wouldn't have the same issues but I'm not sure how they would feel about thousands of foreign nationals being allowed to wander around their country. Maybe I'm wrong, as I have never been there, but they do seem a bit suspicious of foreigners.
    They didn't seem too bothered at the Olympics to have foreigners around.

He won't give up his 5 star luxury lifestyle I don't think.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Disgusting organisation - hopefully it all implodes now and the crooks who have tarnished and defrauded the game and besmirched its repuatation are afforded swift justice.

Blatter has gotten away with it for so long. Hopefully not any more.

Qatar has a smaller population than Ireland. Can anyone ever imagine Ireland being granted a World Cup? Just wouldn't happen. Yet the Qataris manage a successful bid without one stadium in place? Absolutely stinks. FIFA should be refunding the cost of all nation's unsuccessful host bids as looks like the decision was made before they even received the bids - once the money transfer was in place...

Let's not kid ourselves on that FIFA took the World Cup to SA to promote football in Africa... Zuma and his corrupt cronies paid Sepp and his corrupt cronies a nice sum to land it, lost the SA economy over £2bn in the process - in a country with serious social problems. FIFA pocketed over £2.5bn from that World Cup.

Shameful.
    Last edited by Baader; 29-05-2015 at 12:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    blatter has over 100 votes from africa and asia before a vote is even cast, he aint going anywhere

@hibs.net private member
    Must admit I suspect FIFA is corrupt to the core but I also think that the way that Europe is going about things is getting up the backs of other confederations. I also suspect that there will be a lot of dirty laundry in Geneva and the FA for that matter.

Playing the devil's advocate - England have been going after Sepp Blatter since they didn't get the German World Cup bid as they believe they are entitled to host the World Cup whether other countries want it there or not.

They lost a vote to Russia who have never had a World Cup and could put up a strong case to get one. It doesn't matter how long it is since England held one there are other countries in this part of the world who could stage one. Remember England made an agreement with Germany that they could get one and Germany get the other. That wasn't exactly democratic was it - some might say that smells of corruption.

Recently English FA reneged on an understanding within the Home Nations to make sure their man got onto the Vice Presidency of FIFA. They shat all over the other home nations to get their agenda but this was pretty much ignored by the media. The FA are not the good guys they make out they are. They are bitter losers who amongst other things benefitted the UK government to fund a bid that was for their own benefit and no one elses. The rest of the UK would have got minimal benefit from the tournament.

There was an article on 5 live this morning which was bemoaning the fact that in England there are only 300 odd 3G pitches in Germany I think it is over 1000. A similar ratio applies to the number of qualified coaches in England v Spain. Maybe the FA should start doing their job properly -that is promoting the game properly in their country instead of going after the big trophy which they can wander around being Billy Big Baws.

US are peed off because they did not get the World Cup which was awarded to Qatar. (That does smell by the way but I would rather Australia or another nation had got it as it is a WORLD Cup after all not the express right of US/Europe to decide where it goes). This corruption investigation goes back 20 years. Yes the year after US last hosted the World Cup. Bit of a co-incidence is it not? Corruption was not invented in 1994 and I am sure if you looked at the allocation of the 1994 World Cup and awarding of contracts there would be questions asked and a few arrests.

The bottom line is there appears to be corruption which needs to be sorted, Blatter has run his term and should go but under his leadership football is a far more global game than it was when he arrived and money is getting pumped into Africa and Asia to develop the game. I can understand why these continents/federations are voting for him. The World Cup left Europe and South America and has now been played in Asia and Africa.

Don't just listen to the BBC and the MSM, UEFA and the USA. There are always at least 2 sides to the story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

As for Blatter resigning, did the Prime Minister or Opposition leaders resign after the corruption over expenses in our parliament, how many bankers have been charged in relation to the collapse of the Banking System? We aren't perfect either but propaganda is a dangerous thing.

Left by mutual consent!
    FIFA Delegates prepare for the vote.

CGKTZI7WkAAo9LH.jpg

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    blatter has over 100 votes from africa and asia before a vote is even cast, he aint going anywhere
    I hope Uefa follow through with their threat to boycott.

Testimonial Due
    Believe there has been a bomb threat at the venue. Have visions of blatter making the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post
    Believe there has been a bomb threat at the venue. Have visions of blatter making the call.

Seriously or is that just a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    The

African football is flourishing and I think it is only a mayter of time until an African country wins the World cup or at least reaches the Final. Africa was long overdue a world cup and with the relatively recent seismic changes in South Africa, not to mention the successful Rugby world cup held there , it seemed a positive decision.
    I don't see an African nation reaching a World Cup Final anytime soon.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 29-05-2015 at 12:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Interesting.

How Many Ways Can You Hide A Bribe? The Best Of The FIFA Indictment

http://screamer.deadspin.com/how-man...fif-1707221505

FIFA werent trying to help football in Africa. Money that should have went into footballing infrastructures and programmes for under privilged kids lined the pockets and Swiss Bank accounts of Sepp and his fat cat bureaucrats. The bucks stop with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    FIFA werent trying to help football in Africa. Money that should have went into footballing infrastructures and programmes for under privilged kids lined the pockets and Swiss Bank accounts of Sepp and his fat cat bureaucrats. The bucks stop with him.
    I think they were genuinely interested in expanding the World Cup into Africa and Asia. It could only increase the big sponsorship deals which FIFA live off. However, both these continents have a culture of graft and bribery which FIFA officials appear to have embraced.

@hibs.net private member
    Here's another thing.
    This was news to me, perhaps not to others on here.

http://www.the42.ie/john-delaney-fai...e=twitter_self

Testimonial Due
    Seriously or is that just a joke?
    Seriously. According to something i seen on twitter. Ill find it.

South Africa outbid Morrocco in the level of bribes it gave to win the World Cup.

Similarly, England's attempt to out bribe Russia was pathetic (Swiss Watches to all the delegates wives? Pah!).

Any and all 'gifts' to delegates, or their relatives, should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post
    Seriously. According to something i seen on twitter. Ill find it.

Cheers.

I wasn't sure if you were joking about all of it or just the Blatter part.

Death toll for workers involved in Qatar's World Cup project currently stands at 1,200. That's one death for every 90 seconds of football that will be played there so far...

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/6698887.stm

Remember our FIFA rep. John McBeth calling out the corruption back in 2006.

He got hung out to dry by the English FA so they could get the seat at the table and pull strings to get the World Cup.

Now they moan about the state of the game. The clean up could have started years ago if McBeth had got some backing.

@hibs.net private member
    One thing that cannot be denied under Blatters presidency is that football has expanded globally so in that respect you are totally wrong. FIFA have been trying to help football in Africa and Asia. Yes there will be bribes but it cannot be denied that football has expanded over the last 20 years in Africa. That does not make the corruption right though.

How do you know that Blatter accepted bribes? (He may have but at this time there is absolutely no proof that he has received any.) Maybe he has just made a good living by involving other nations and federations which has boosted his power and his income, bonuses and the likes.

He has rubbed folk (mainly Europeans) and other members up the wrong way but maybe it is they are worried they will lose their power and ways of making money? Remember Uefa are hanging onto power by a thread as the Big Clubs keep threatening to set up their own arrangements.

This concerted effort by the European and American press to paint Blatter as Dr Evil suits a lot of power crazy people's agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/6698887.stm

Remember our FIFA rep. John McBeth calling out the corruption back in 2006.

He got hung out to dry by the English FA so they could get the seat at the table and pull strings to get the World Cup.

Now they moan about the state of the game. The clean up could have started years ago if McBeth had got some backing.
    McBeth was right, but his approach to addressing the issue was ill-conceived at best and incompetent at worst. Amongst other stupid things he did, he opened himself up to accusations of racism by Warner as he singled out specific countries or confederations.

In reality, the problem was far more endemic and that was one the reasons he was never going to get any support...from anyone never mind England.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    When is the result due?

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    One thing that cannot be denied under Blatters presidency is that football has expanded globally so in that respect you are totally wrong. FIFA have been trying to help football in Africa and Asia. Yes there will be bribes but it cannot be denied that football has expanded over the last 20 years in Africa. That does not make the corruption right though.

How do you know that Blatter accepted bribes? (He may have but at this time there is absolutely no proof that he has received any.) Maybe he has just made a good living by involving other nations and federations which has boosted his power and his income, bonuses and the likes.

He has rubbed folk (mainly Europeans) and other members up the wrong way but maybe it is they are worried they will lose their power and ways of making money? Remember Uefa are hanging onto power by a thread as the Big Clubs keep threatening to set up their own arrangements.

This concerted effort by the European and American press to paint Blatter as Dr Evil suits a lot of power crazy people's agendas.
    Do you actually think Qatar landed a World Cup on the merit of their bid? There's a lot that will come out over the next few months and SA making payments to Jack Warner is just one of them. I worked on an investigative piece for ESPN on FIFA some years ago and the level of corruption was widespread and common knowledge so long ago - it's good to see them finally taken to task.

Football's stock in Africa has risen but my argument is that it was not FIFAs priority - theirs was to make as much money out of the tournament going there as was possible. Any benefit to football there was purely a side effect. South Africa foot the bill and FIFA (a supposedly non profit organisation) make over £2bn that did not go anywhere near creating a lasting legacy for football in South Africa or the rest of the continent. More continents simply meant more money for them.

First Team Breakthrough
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto if blatter wins we can all at least enjoy this clip

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Do you actually think Qatar landed a World Cup on the merit of their bid? There's a lot that will come out over the next few months and SA making payments to Jack Warner is just one of them. I worked on an investigative piece for ESPN on FIFA some years ago and the level of corruption was widespread and common knowledge so long ago - it's good to see them finally taken to task.

Football's stock in Africa has risen but my argument is that it was not FIFAs priority - theirs was to make as much money out of the tournament going there as was possible. Any benefit to football there was purely a side effect. South Africa foot the bill and FIFA (a supposedly non profit organisation) make over £2bn that did not go anywhere near creating a lasting legacy for football in South Africa or the rest of the continent. More continents simply meant more money for them.
    The whole model is bust. FIFA encourages countries to build a whole lot of new stadiums (many become white elephants), then rinse tax free profits out of the country and leaves them to pick up the pieces. It makes no sense - unless decision makers in bid countries have other, er, incentives for pursuing such madness.

I hope Blatter refuses to go because it might just bring down the whole organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    The whole model is bust. FIFA encourages countries to build a whole lot of new stadiums (many become white elephants), then rinse tax free profits out of the country and leaves them to pick up the pieces. It makes no sense - unless decision makers in bid countries have other, er, incentives for pursuing such madness.

I hope Blatter refuses to go because it might just bring down the whole organisation.
    They also manage to have governments change laws (mostly financial ones) before bringing their circus to town.

Case in point being Brazil 2014. Blanket ban on alcohol in football stadia that has been in place for over a decade. Cue FIFA who on behalf of one of their sponsors Budweiser say they cannot host the tournament unless alcohol is served - hey presto! Brazil's law is gone. Of course FIFA sponsors pay no tax on their sales in host nations...

FIFA is a registered charity which is overseeing slave labour and a frightening death rate of workers in Qatar. It's a disgrace to football and the sooner those crooks responsible are brought to justice the better.
    Last edited by Baader; 29-05-2015 at 03:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    When is the result due?
    Shortly.

If you can watch this, there's some exciting footage of the backs of people casting their votes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32930609

@hibs.net private member

No I don't think Qatar got the World Cup fairly.

I agree the corruption has existed for a long time and football is all about money nowadays. The same corruption exists in Olympic bids. Doesn't make it right but it is not only football that suffers from this. Correct me if I am wrong but did an Englishman not get arrested for the ticket corruption at the last World Cup? It is not only "foreigners" who are at it.

What cannot be denied though is that football is the major world sport. There have been improvements in Asia and Africa's football infrastructure due in part to FIFA.

What I am trying to get at is the holier than though attitude coming from England and US. They couldn't give a monkeys about developing football worldwide. Look at the FA's record in developing football players in England. With all the infrastructure and money they have they can't even develop the sport in their country for goodness sake . The FA just bow to the Premiership at any opportunity.

They are interested in making money, making themselves more powerful and protecting their own position.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    No I don't think Qatar got the World Cup fairly.

I agree the corruption has existed for a long time and football is all about money nowadays. The same corruption exists in Olympic bids. Doesn't make it right but it is not only football that suffers from this. Correct me if I am wrong but did an Englishman not get arrested for the ticket corruption at the last World Cup? It is not only "foreigners" who are at it.

What cannot be denied though is that football is the major world sport. There have been improvements in Asia and Africa's football infrastructure due in part to FIFA.

What I am trying to get at is the holier than though attitude coming from England and US. They couldn't give a monkeys about developing football worldwide. Look at the FA's record in developing football players in England. With all the infrastructure and money they have they can't even develop the sport in their country for goodness sake . The FA just bow to the Premiership at any opportunity.

They are interested in making money, making themselves more powerful and protecting their own position.
    I didn't mention the US or England though. Was discussing FIFA. Sure the FA (and SFA for that matter) have a lot of stuff going on too but was focusing on FIFA. One thing about the FA is at least they do not masquerade as a 'charity.'

Where is the 'holier than thou' stuff from the US incidentally? I haven't seen anything like that. It was their own delegate Blazer who pled guilty and is basically ratting them out so they're involved in it... Looks like Nike will be under the spotlight soon too... Not a very smart move to use American banks for some questionable 'transactions...'
    Last edited by Baader; 29-05-2015 at 04:38 PM.