hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifa

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still think the British (English) medias concern and interest in FIFA corruption start and stops with the fact 'the scoundrels didn't award the World Cup staging to England'.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have to agree with you PeeJay... First time for everything eh!!!
    Wherever there is **** loads of money, temptation will always be there for corruption... Although I think FIFA have kicked the arse out of the phrase "corrupt organisation"!!!! Taken it to a new level.
    Enjoy it while the moment lasts!

Seems that well-known Russian anti-corruption activist - Putin - has now declared that Blätter is on no account corrupt and it's all a conspiracy and it's really the Americans who are to blame ...

BTW ... how does "arse" get through the swear filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Still think the British (English) medias concern and interest in FIFA corruption start and stops with the fact 'the scoundrels didn't award the World Cup staging to England'.

And quite rightly too considering they thought they'd done enough to get the gig, only to lose out to Qatar and we are all aware how popular that decision has been.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    And quite rightly too considering they thought they'd done enough to get the gig, only to lose out to Qatar and we are all aware how popular that decision has been.
    They lost out to Russia not Qatar

Blog Entries
    England weren't in running for 2022. Only 2018.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He will probably resign and take up a position at the SFA.
    Would be a cert to pass the Fit and Proper test.

England weren't in running for 2022. Only 2018.

Who got that one Russia?

There was obviously a lot of rumblings going on around both world cups, hence why the press over here started delving in, it's obvious it's been ongoing for many years now, when people start making mistakes gaps open up.

Blog Entries
    Who got that one Russia?

There was obviously a lot of rumblings going on around both world cups, hence why the press over here started delving in, it's obvious it's been ongoing for many years now, when people start making mistakes gaps open up.
    .......and of course nobody British would be involved in an such a sordid business. Purely a Johnny Foreigner affair.

.......and of course nobody British would be involved in an such a sordid business. Purely a Johnny Foreigner affair.

Well at the moment it does look that way, until it all comes out we have to suspect it is all the foreign delegates who are corrupt, the US attourney that did his investigation didn't point any fingers towards our nations but he did towards the 2 countries that won both respective bids, Russia and Qatar.

Blog Entries
    Well at the moment it does look that way, until it all comes out we have to suspect it is all the foreign delegates who are corrupt, the US attourney that did his investigation didn't point any fingers towards our nations but he did towards the 2 countries that won both respective bids, Russia and Qatar.
    Whilst not happy that Russia got awarded the World Cup I would be suspicious of U.S.pronouncements on Russia and vice versa on purely political grounds.

Even with many people's disquiet abou Blatter I do agree with his vision of promoting football globally and in areas of the world that would benefit from inspiration of a important world event like the World cup. I am fed up of the World Cup bouncing around the usual suspects of Germany, Italy and England.

Whilst not happy that Russia got awarded the World Cup I would be suspicious of U.S.pronouncements on Russia and vice versa on purely political grounds.

Even with many people's disquiet abou Blatter I do agree with his vision of promoting football globally and in areas of the world that would benefit from inspiration of a important world event like the World cup. I am fed up of the World Cup bouncing around the usual suspects of Germany, Italy and England.

I would rather see it go to countries that are accessible to fans, and countries who can create and indeed get the benefit from the infrastructure.. the Qatar situation is unbelievable. With migrant workers dying everyday and who do you actually think will benefit except the government??

South Africa doesn't seem to have benefited out of it and I can't really see any benefit in having the World Cup in Qatar. US Football might have benefited, though, from the exposure given to the World Cup at the time.

The only people who definitely gain from World Cups seem to be FIFA and their corrupt members.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    South Africa doesn't seem to have benefited out of it and I can't really see any benefit in having the World Cup in Qatar. US Football might have benefited, though, from the exposure given to the World Cup at the time.

The only people who definitely gain from World Cups seem to be FIFA and their corrupt members.

I think I heard on the news yesterday there are question marks over the SA bid for the world cup too, not surprising.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liamh2202 View Post
    I would rather see it go to countries that are accessible to fans, and countries who can create and indeed get the benefit from the infrastructure.. the Qatar situation is unbelievable. With migrant workers dying everyday and who do you actually think will benefit except the government??
    Of course it will be accessible to fans in other Middle east countries. It is time an Arab country held the 'World' cup, no?

I think I heard on the news yesterday there are question marks over the SA bid for the world cup too, not surprising.

Yep, wouldn't exactly be a big surprise now to find evidence of dodgy dealings at any of the World Cup awards.

Of course it will be accessible to fans in other Middle east countries. It is time an Arab country held the 'World' cup, no?
    No I dont think it is.. I think it would be time if they developed their domestic game and proved that they deserved the tournament and would make use of the infrastructure. I don't think it should go there just because it hasn't been played in an Arab country before..

I would also go as far as saying that you should have qualified for a relatively recent tournament before being allowed to host it.. It should be accessible for fans who want to follow their own team not just corporate people who want to see a football tournament
    Last edited by liamh2202; 28-05-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Can they put one on during the traditional world cup slot and not use bribery and slaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Can they put one on during the traditional world cup slot and not use bribery and slaves?

Or manage to play the tournament at a time that doesn't mean most of the World's Domestic Competitions having to be re-organised, due to the fact that it's too hot in Summer to actually play Football.

@hibs.net private member
    The British press in general (which includes all home countries) have made many investigations into FIFA activities over many years, starting from well before the events your post refers to. They were triggered by a variety of suspect activities covering a wide number of countries and topics. The interest has increased because much more evidence has begun to seep out (and be seen to be whitewashed). You should always try to see the bigger picture rather than zoom in on your own agenda.
    As for the highlighted words from your post I personally can remember articles from the early 70's attacking FIFA procedures and it hasn't stopped yet.

Blog Entries
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

African football is flourishing and I think it is only a mayter of time until an African country wins the World cup or at least reaches the Final. Africa was long overdue a world cup and with the relatively recent seismic changes in South Africa, not to mention the successful Rugby world cup held there , it seemed a positive decision.

Any alleged FIFA corruption is one thing and deserves investigation and highlighting but the policy of taking the major football tournament to different and challenging areas of the world should not be changed imo.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 28-05-2015 at 11:49 AM.

African football is flourishing and I think it is only a mayter of time until an African country wins the World cup or at least reaches the Final. Africa was long overdue a world cup and with the relatively recent seismic changes in South Africa, not to mention the successful Rugby world cup held there , it seemed a positive decision.

Any alleged FIFA corruption is one thing and deserves investigation and highlighting but the policy of taken the major football tournament to different and challenging areas of the world should not be changed imo.

At least Africa have a football setup to speak of (acon etc) the same cannot be Said of Qatar

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

To be fair to them, they did not spend enough on bribes. Every country that has bid for the games gives out bribes or as they probably like to call them gifts.

England's gifts were not good enough.

If they want to expand the game then Australia/Japan would've been a perfect place to go, England do deserve to hold it again, almost 50 years since it's been on these shores and although I'm a proud Scot, having massive games just down the road would be great to go and see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liamh2202 View Post
    At least Africa have a football setup to speak of (acon etc) the same cannot be Said of Qatar
    This is the point though liam. FIFA should be about promoting football in ALL parts of the world. Qatar may be an unpopular choice but It just might kick start the evolution of football in this area.

There are of course footballing countries in this part of the world but awarding the event to say Iraq, Iran, Egypt or Saudi Arabia would bring a whole heap of different problems, issues and controversies that would be unpalatable to most people.

Whilst FIFA is mired in all this scandal and controversy it easily forgotten that it is a sporting institution like the IOC that should cross all borders and transcend politics and be all about furthering sporting endeavour.

Not above the law though of course.

@hibs.net private member

Because one of those three always get it eh?
    IMO Blatter only promotes himself not football. He chases votes from the smaller or emerging nations by spreading the word of his "vision" so that he keep his job (the job he promised all those that voted for him last time that he wouldn't stand for again - and then he did - what a great and noble man to have in charge of world football).
    I am all for the WC finals reaching into new countries but not before they are ready or deserving (ready/deserving means having a country that is at least interested in football enough to have some infrastructure and league activity in place prior to lobbying to be the home country) and the disruption to world football that will be caused by holding it in Qatar is truly horrendous.

@hibs.net private member
    This is the point though liam. FIFA should be about promoting football in ALL parts of the world. Qatar may be an unpopular choice but It just might kick start the evolution of football in this area.

There are of course footballing countries in this part of the world but awarding the event to say Iraq, Iran, Egypt or Saudi Arabia would bring a whole heap of different problems, issues and controversies that would be unpalatable to most people.

Whilst FIFA is mired in all this scandal and controversy it easily forgotten that it is a sporting institution like the IOC that should cross all borders and transcend politics and be all about furthering sporting endeavour.

It needs to get back to being exactly that - not a jolly boys club.

I do think they should promote world football. But I don't think taking the world cup to places where it is yet to develop is the right Way to do things imo

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Because one of those three always get it eh?
    IMO Blatter only promotes himself not football. He chases votes from the smaller or emerging nations by spreading the word of his "vision" so that he keep his job (the job he promised all those that voted for him last time that he wouldn't stand for again - and then he did - what a great and noble man to have in charge of world football).
    I am all for the WC finals reaching into new countries but not before they are ready or deserving (ready/deserving means having a country that is at least interested in football enough to have some infrastructure and league activity in place prior to lobbying to be the home country) and the disruption to world football that will be caused by holding it in Qatar is truly horrendous.
    Agree 👍

Blog Entries
    If they want to expand the game then Australia/Japan would've been a perfect place to go, England do deserve to hold it again, almost 50 years since it's been on these shores and although I'm a proud Scot, having massive games just down the road would be great to go and see.
    This is the problem in my eyes though JC. We see the world with a very narrow European vision and the fact it would be held 'just down the road'

There are approx 200 countries in the world and since 1930 only 15 of these have hosted a World Cup. The notion that any country should host it for a second time in such a short period should be seen as ridiculous and indeed corrupt in this day and age.

Of course many small nations couldn't afford to host said event but more should be done to consider joint bids, indeed it's a pity Qatar couldn't have been some sort of joint Arab bid. Surely we have to break the cartel of the usual European and South American nations though.

Ok but if FIFAs honest intention all along was to broaden footballs reach and promote football in all areas of the world then why let the likes of USA/Japan/Australia waste all that time and money on bids if it was always the intention of FIFA to take it to a country like Qatar??