hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Petrie

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As the man many ultimately blame for the last few years decline and being in this situation in the 1st place this kind of thing is going to keep cropping up until he goes, he's not going anywhere anytime soon though.

Personally I don't think this season would have been much different without RP as chairman.
    Yep, I agree.

When we're looking for reasons why we are in the situation we are in then Petrie's grubby paw prints are all over it. He presided, in a very hands-on manner, over the period that saw us decline year on year into oblivion, ultimately leading to our relegation at the worst possible time (at a time when 2 other big clubs were going to be in the second tier making an immediate return to the top flight much more difficult). Year on year we seemed to focus all of our anger on whoever was the manager at the time instead of where it really should have been directed.

The aftermath of that decline led to the abominable position we found ourselves in at the start of last summer and a start in the league that stopped us putting in a stronger challenge for championship. Ultimately only those 2 other big clubs finished ahead of us (we even managed to finish above The Rangers in the league). From the appalling position we found ourselves in, getting promoted this season was a big ask and we've fallen just short. We simply gave ourselves too much to do. I'm happier than I've been in a decade - maybe ever - with things off the field at Hibs. Stubbs is convinced we'll be promoted next year - that's good enough for me.

There comes a time when you need to move on. Demanding heads on sticks the whole time distracts us from the real issues. Has Petrie REALLY had a negative impact at Easter Road since last summer, other than that his continued presence divides supporters? Are our problems REALLY off the park now?

Last year we needed wholesale changes - we got them. This year we need to tweak things slightly.

We're ten years too late to be demanding Petrie leave and to expect it to have a major impact. I'm no fan of the man whatsoever but know I need to rise above it. Whilst it would give us all a lift to see him go, imo the only real effect it would now have would be to give the angry mob what they want and it wouldn't actually have any positive impact on our chances of success going forward.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    If this Petrie love in continues I'll need to rename him Kim Il Petrie ffs!
    I don't see any love in???
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

The whole lot of you (apart from Blackpool Hibs) are missing the point. As long as Pterie remains at ER IN ANY CAPACITY then the stench of medicroty will prevail. I'm guessing most of you are young ones under 40 who don't really understand that Hibs were once a good football team that normally spends their time in the top league.
    Hibs league finishes since 1965:
    6th
    5th
    3rd
    12th
    3rd
    12th
    4th
    3rd
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    6th
    4th
    5th
    10th(relegated)
    1st (promoted)
    6th
    7th
    7th
    8th
    8th
    9th
    6th
    5th
    7th
    9th
    5th
    7th
    5th
    3rd
    5th
    9th
    10th(relegated)
    1st(promoted)
    6th
    3rd
    10th
    7th
    8th
    3rd
    4th
    6th
    6th
    6th
    4th
    10th
    11th
    7th
    11th (play-offs, relegated)
    2nd.

So really, we're never THAT good.

No-one on this thread has posted any praise of Petrie. He's made mistakes in the past but I don't see what he's done wrong this season. As I understand it, a competent executive and manager are in place and allowed to get on with their jobs.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Am presuming by this we will see HOH and the Gorilla suit raise their heads again.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    If this Petrie love in continues I'll need to rename him Kim Il Petrie ffs!
    Not one person has mentioned any 'love in' but you seem to have all the answers so how do we get shot of him?

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    How much responsibility does he bear for our initial relegation which got us here though?? A fair bit imo.

That said, I do think that we just have to look ahead and not past. In a slightly bizarre way, when I think of Hibs now compared to a year ago, I am much happier with so many things: a manager who has us playing decent football again, a chief exec who communicates, takes a stand on things that matter, defends the club and is dynamic and outstanding, better quality players, much better PR and general communication with fans, lots of new initiatives, greater involvement in the community.....and so on. I no longer see the shame on the faces of fans who sat last year with their hearts breaking as they watched some of the worst performances in living memory by a squad that by and large didn't care. Hibs today bear no relation to Hibs a year ago. I'm gutted we lost today but I am also really happy with the progress that has been made from such an appalling shambles just 12 short months ago in such a short space of time. Massive credit is due to Stubbs and Dempster for effecting so much positive change across the whole club so quickly.

I am gutted we are staying down and I share some of the frustration of people who were debating why Hibs still need to find a way to deliver on the big occasions, but in a strange way that I still don't quite understand, I am also really proud of my club once again and that is no small thing, if you think about how things have been over the last few years.
    Excellent post imo.

If 1 person thinks they are right and 1000 think they are right then that does not make the 1 person wrong. It's called an opinion.

I count the days until Petrie is gone from ER. He has failed US and he has failed HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    Am presuming by this we will see HOH and the Gorilla suit raise their heads again.
    Great, Hibees mocking Hibees. :-(

If 1 person thinks they are right and 1000 think they are right then that does not make the 1 person wrong. It's called an opinion.

I count the days until Petrie is gone from ER. He has failed US and he has failed HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB.
    So why state their is Petrie love in on here if its only about opinions?
    You still didnt answer the question - where on this thread - or even this board - is there a Petrie love in?

Great, Hibees mocking Hibees. :-(
    Where's the mocking?

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar

If it's only your opinion stop telling others to wake up and smell the f'ing coffee then.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are steaming.
    Maybe I am, and maybe it's because I am pretty upset this evening!

Enjoy your tea and biscuits whilst watching Antiques Roadshow. Jeezuz!

:

Charlie and the chocolate factory has just started on Sky1, might watch that. It will go well with the chocolate biscuits.

Personally I think you are wrong. I also am gutted that think most Hibees probably agree with you. As long as Rod Petrie remains at Hibernian Football Club in any capacity we will remain in the lower echelons of Scottish Football.
    I think he should have left a long time ago as there are a large number of supporters who simply distrust him. He has lost the confidence of the support if you like. Would things have been any different this season without him this season? I doubt it, we would still be working under STFs strategy.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I would suggest we are all upset this evening......No need to mock others though

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I think he should have left a long time ago as there are a large number of supporters who simply distrust him. He has lost the confidence of the support if you like. Would things have been any different this season without him this season? I doubt it, we would still be working under STFs strategy.
    Thats the point. The club is haemorraging supporters left right and centre and people on here tonight are attacking me because I think Rod Petrie is causing this.

I personally think it's a shame that people who want Petrie removed from ER are scared to raise their heads above the parapets.

Thats the point. The club is haemorraging supporters left right and centre and people on here tonight are attacking me because I think Rod Petrie is causing this.

I personally think it's a shame that people who want Petrie removed from ER are scared to raise their heads above the parapets.
    I am one of RP's fiercest critics, but no amount of discussion is going to change anything, whilst STF remains our owner....

I think you will find that the majority of people here would be happy to see Petrie gone.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Petrie is toxic in that he divides the club's supporters rather than unite them like he should be doing. Right or wrong he has to go.

The fact the fans are still pissed off with him hanging around says it all. He needs to leave and we can all move on as one without this cloud hanging over us.

My only question would be... He never came from a Hibs or footballing background. And it was always said he was just a businessman. If that's the case surely now he has stepped back there is no need for him to be at games. Getting his mug all over TV in his Hibs tie.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I think you will find that the majority of people here would be happy to see Petrie gone.
    Wherever gone is, it would not be far enough for me!

The bit in bold. How do "people" remove Rod Petrie from ER?

I'm not attacking you BTW, but how does the removal of Petrie happen? Who has the authority to remove Petrie from his position at Hibernian FC? Not the ordinary supporters, so presumably it is either the owner or his fellow directors presumably?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Petrie is toxic in that he divides the club's supporters rather than unite them like he should be doing. Right or wrong he has to go.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liamh2202 View Post
    My only question would be... He never came from a Hibs or footballing background. And it was always said he was just a businessman. If that's the case surely now he has stepped back there is no need for him to be at games. Getting his mug all over TV in his Hibs tie.
    He's a member of the Board

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

I don't know a single Hibs fan that wants Petrie to stay, so I find it hard to understand who these people would be scared of?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    He's a member of the Board
    Does that mean there's a requirement for him to be at games though? I understood when he was running the show but now surely he could do his job from his living room

I dont not live in Edinburgh or come from Edinburgh but spend a lot of time working in Edinburgh. Whenever I mention Petrie to fellow Hibees I get a half hearted reply either way. Not good enough. Get rid I say!

I dont not live in Edinburgh or come from Edinburgh but spend a lot of time working in Edinburgh. Whenever I mention Petrie to fellow Hibees I get a half hearted reply either way. Not good enough. Get rid I say!
    How? see my post #54.