hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    I think its been pretty clear over the years that there's not much difference in the top half of the second tier and most of the top tier. A bigger league has always made more sense regardless of whether it helps us Rangers, or whoever. These teams are all good enough to be playing in the top league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    16 team league with 2 automatic relegation 1 automatic promotion and a play off to see who else Who else gets promotion
    That's the one for me

I would still split top 8 bottom 8 to give 37 fixtures. The top 4 in each get 4 home games/3 away games. Bottom 4 teams 3 home/4 away

Everyone guaranteed minimum 18 home games.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    It all comes down to how many Rangers sellick games can we put on telly. We should be looking at re-marketing the whole of Scottish football maybe as summer league with 16/18 teams playing each other twice making the derbies more important. Plus summer would easier to market it towards sky who don't have summer international tournament coverage making us only boys in town. Need a true salesman in charge of marketing not a prick like Doncaster

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    We need the salesman to market to prove the spl is more than Rangers and Celtic so as a whole more attractive. Looking to the future it would also have a robust league should any of the 'bigger clubs' get relegated. The league has a lot to offer history,rivalries teams relatively close of standard allowing for close games week in week out, some good stadiums these are what we should be selling.

16 team league with 2 automatic relegation 1 automatic promotion and a play off to see who else Who else gets promotion
    Makes complete sense.

You basically said word for word my post but posted yours 4 mins after mine

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    What about 2 relegated, 1st in championship automatic with 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in play offs like England to get the extra spot, this would put the excitement onto the leagues below.
    No, I'd prefer either a 16 or 18 team league with the bottom 2 relegated and the 1st in championship with automatic promotion and the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in play offs to get the extra spot. That would work

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It's clear that the fans want reform. It's also clear to all that there is little to choose between the top 4-5 championship sides and the Bottom half of the SPL. A bigger league is needed, no questions.

The issue is whether the loss of the 4 x yearly bigger games and the subsequent hit with the TV money matters? Ultimately, what difference does it make to us as fans?

The traditionalist in me says that the game will survive and still be watched. Wages would be down, maybe that would mean an emphasis on younger players and scouting your own talent. Effectively just like it used to be. The OF would be bigger, by virtue of crowds and other revenue streams, but I suspect the gap would narrow financially? Surely they benefitted more from the TV and sponsorship monies.

Personally, in an off the cuff way and not dwelling too much on it, I think **** the lot of it. Football, 3pm Saturday KO, end off!

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar

good

A 16 team League is what the fans want. I prefer 18 myself. It seems strange that this is coming to light as The Rangers are not guaranteed promotion.
    There is no way surely they can re-structure in 2 months? Maybe wrong.
    18 team league would give non Old Firm teams a chance as the games v them would be reduced.

Good post IMHO
    Too simple for Doncaster and Co : easy to manage , no boring playing each other four times plus potential cup ties , ( Celtic V Dundee Utd = seven games !!)
    This would be my perfect set up !!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It's clear that the fans want reform. It's also clear to all that there is little to choose between the top 4-5 championship sides and the Bottom half of the SPL. A bigger league is needed, no questions.

The issue is whether the loss of the 4 x yearly bigger games and the subsequent hit with the TV money matters? Ultimately, what difference does it make to us as fans?

The traditionalist in me says that the game will survive and still be watched. Wages would be down, maybe that would mean an emphasis on younger players and scouting your own talent. Effectively just like it used to be. The OF would be bigger, by virtue of crowds and other revenue streams, but I suspect the gap would narrow financially? Surely they benefitted more from the TV and sponsorship monies.

Personally, in an off the cuff way and not dwelling too much on it, I think **** the lot of it. Football, 3pm Saturday KO, end off!
    The TV money is decidedly average if even that. Tell them to bolt. More 3pm Sat kick offs. The only way you see it is to be there or highlights. Playing the Old Firm twice should bring them a wee bit closer to the rest of the Clubs and break the Duopoly and increase supporters through the gate. I see no losers here.