hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Butcher

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If we'd have stayed up by the skin of our teeth (with Butcher or with someone else) would we have seen the much-needed sweeping changes we have?
    The "sweeping change/Dempster" announcement was made on the official site well before we were relegated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I recall that Butcher while assistant for the Scotland team refused to shake Maradonna's hand when Argentina came to Hampden for a friendly.

What did Maradonna ever do to Butcher to deserve that kind of behaviour?

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    The man who signed him will be the person who could set us back decades, and he is still at the club, that is our biggest worry with in our club right now.

Petrie should have stepped down from Hibs after we were relegated.
    We should have signed his Chairman . He managed to get money for him

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    The guy is a crap manager no matter what you think, his record at every club except ITC proves this, if he had came in earlier than he did he would have had us finishing bottom instead of 11th
    His record at ICT wasn't even that good.

Relegated, Promoted, 9th, 5th, 10th, 4th. The 4th was greatly helped by the fact the Huns weren't in the league and the stronger clubs in the league were basket cases(ourselves under Fenlon, Hearts were going tits up and Milne still wasn't bothered about the Sheep). He still finished behind the might of Motherwell and St Johnstone and a point ahead of Ross County

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    The board at Newport must also think along my lines as they must have picked him from dozens of candidates. They are also fully aware of what happened at hibs and ICT.

If he succeeds here will he just have got lucky again? I don't know what will happen and neither do you but I think this will solve an argument or two. He doesn't have the team with him that he had at his last two jobs so we'll see.

The real point was that we need to move on and leave him, and Newport alone.
    Tbf, if the Board prior to this season thought you were a decent Manager it was odds on that you weren't

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I disagree.

It was principally our lack of goals that led to our relegation.

Would Fenlon - having, by his own admission, lost the dressing room have managed to get more goals out of that team than Butcher did? Who was going to provide the ammunition for Collins and Vine? We only had Cairney and Harris out wide (both were injured for months, then recovering for months), no-one who could make a killer pass.

He'd have been given the same "you have to get rid of a few before you get anyone in" instruction in January if he had stayed. Who would Fenlon have managed to ship out? We had nobody that anyone would have wanted to take.

Would Fenlon have relegated Hibs? In my opinion he would although it is a hypothetical argument that can't be won. We were a mess and he'd have been hung out to dry, as Butcher was.

He might have managed some players (like Harris) a bit better and got more out of them. He might have played McPake when he was seemingly back and fit. He might not have got so much trouble (allegedly) from players like KT.

But I still think we would have been in serious, serious trouble that season irrespective of who our manager was.
    I'm sorry, we were 5th when Butcher came in and in no danger of being relegated. We nearly finished top 6

His tactics were diabolical and were worked out pronto. Every one knew that our sole intention was to win throws and corners so that's the last thing our opponents would give us. Everyone had worked us out and Butcher had no plan B to back up his very poor plan A

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I'm sorry, we were 5th when Butcher came in and in no danger of being relegated. We nearly finished top 6

His tactics were diabolical and were worked out pronto. Every one knew that our sole intention was to win throws and corners so that's the last thing our opponents would give us. Everyone had worked us out and Butcher had no plan B to back up his very poor plan A
    Yep. Nowhere near relegation.

I've noted this before but people should look at the league position we were in with Fenlon after each game to give a bit of an average after that first season when we were fighting relegation.

It works out between 4th and 5th. We spent far more time, significantly, in top six than bottom.

We expected more of course, rightly or wrongly but that is very different from being a team that could be relegated.

There is no chance we would have been relegated if Fenlon had seen the season out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    I recall that Butcher while assistant for the Scotland team refused to shake Maradonna's hand when Argentina came to Hampden for a friendly.

What did Maradonna ever do to Butcher to deserve that kind of behaviour?
    You never heard of the "hand of God" ? - great player but a cheating wee scrote.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    You never heard of the "hand of God" ? - great player but a cheating wee scrote.
    Whoosh.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Whoosh.
    Aaaargh! I seem to have a hook in my top lip.

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Nae cheating there at all , if i was the ref (going back to the old shoot comic)it would have been a goal all day long, mind you i am very anti English,
    maybe Butchers problem was that with the other goal that Diego scored during that game is over looked ,dont know why because its up there with wee Archie Gemmils goal as in beating half a team ,with Butcher lying horizontal after Maradona tore him a new one

Quote Originally Posted by gorgie greens View Post
    Nae cheating there at all , if i was the ref (going back to the old shoot comic)it would have been a goal all day long, mind you i am very anti English,
    maybe Butchers problem was that with the other goal that Diego scored during that game is over looked ,dont know why because its up there with wee Archie Gemmils goal as in beating half a team ,with Butcher lying horizontal after Maradona tore him a new one
    Excellent goal, his mazy wee run, hand of god was funny as helle

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Excellent goal, his mazy wee run, hand of god was funny as helle
    A man after my own heart ,glad am no the only twisted one on here