hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: BBC bias again?

Just to counter the "everyone thinks all media is biased against them" narrative: as a Yes/Remain voter, I was pretty sure the Beeb was against me on the former but agreed with me on the latter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they were worried about breach of copyright, they'd be going after everybody. In fact, they would have to. You can't pick and chose which breaches of copyright you pursue.

Why did they ask Wings to remove the videos though? The videos were used in accordance with fair use exemptions. The irony in all of this being, that the clip they objected to was of an interview with Stuart Campbell, who runs the Wings website.

So, in fact, they have complained about him posting a video of himself. It's a complete farce, and somebody, somewhere at Atlantic Quay, is now regretting going for lunch with whatever weasel suggested they complain.
    I imagine it would be a full time job going after every single copyright infringement, so maybe pick the high profile ones then the message gets across. We all know now you can't use BBC material without the right permission, bet thousands never knew this before.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    I imagine it would be a full time job going after every single copyright infringement, so maybe pick the high profile ones then the message gets across. We all know now you can't use BBC material without the right permission, bet thousands never knew this before.
    It's the very fact that they are being selective that leads to accusations of bias. Maybe they could have tread more carefully, and complained about the likes of Ruth Davidson using their material, at the same time?

Would seem a much more diplomatic way to go about it.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    It really is worrying that this sort of thing is happening. The Scottish Conservative party YouTube channel has many bbc videos on it. Its hard to believe that this action is not politically motivated. If anything though it will only help the independence cause.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Should the anger not be directed at YouTube as they took the channels down, not the BBC.

"The statement added: "This action is normally limited to asking for individual videos to be removed and the BBC did not ask or demand for these whole channels to be taken down. That was a decision for YouTube alone."

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Should the anger not be directed at YouTube as they took the channels down, not the BBC.

"The statement added: "This action is normally limited to asking for individual videos to be removed and the BBC did not ask or demand for these whole channels to be taken down. That was a decision for YouTube alone."
    The suggestion is that the BBC knew the '3 strikes' rule that YouTube has and the BBC cited 13 videos in the knowledge that this would trigger the 3' strikes' leading to the closure of the channels. Meanwhile The Scottish Conservative YouTube channel has videos from Sunday Politics (BBC), Scotland Tonight (STV) FMQ (BBC), and that is just the Scottish Branch. here are a selection where the broadcaster is clearly visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eWeMK4pW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsa5J0R_NZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULWwsR-uRK8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3TQkQGsT-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7T-ow3mX1s

#Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Blog Entries

If YouTube get more than 3 complaints then their policy is to close the site. The BBC issued a dozen or so complaints. I'd reckon they knew exactly what they were doing and the result it would achieve. Ironically, I feel this action will prove to be counter-productive as it shows them up to be the political puppet that they (the BBC) really are.
    Last edited by snooky; 02-08-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    If YouTube get more than 3 complaints then their policy is to close the site. The BBC issued a dozen or so complaints. I'd reckon they knew exactly what they were doing and the result it would achieve. Ironically, I feel this action will prove to be counter-productive as it shows them up to be the political puppet that they (the BBC) really are.
    Anyone who believes the BBC to be impartial is naive to say the least. They're funded by the UK taxpayer and if the British government wanted to pull the plug on them then they could. The BBC would be cutting their own throats if they were anything else but pro union and pro state.
    Last edited by Hibrandenburg; 02-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Reading between the lines, the BBC acted on a complaint,,,, perhaps the complainant need to be held to account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Anyone who believes the BBC to be impartial is naive to say the least. They're funded by the UK taxpayer and if the British government wanted to pull the plug on them then they could. The BBC would be cutting their own throats if they were anything else but pro union and pro state.
    So if we got independence and Scotland was run by the SNP government of the day we would have a pro indy BBC and that would be OK?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    So if we got independence and Scotland was run by the SNP government of the day we would have a pro indy BBC and that would be OK?
    For one thing, it's unlikely that there would be an SNP Government, post-indy.

However, the point is (I think) that the BBC would be pro-Government, in general, not necessarily pro-Government policies and specifics.

FTR, I am not defending that, and would prefer that they were impartial.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Reading between the lines, the BBC acted on a complaint,,,, perhaps the complainant need to be held to account.
    I think the complaint came from within the bbc.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

A state broadcaster that wasn't pro-the state would be a tad unusual, no?

Blog Entries
    Ahem, if Scotland was/is independent there would be no need for the SNP and (IMO) we would/will have a predominantly Labour government. i.e. A government that the peoples of Scotland have chosen as opposed to one that they haven't.
    Last edited by snooky; 02-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Hearing the BBC back peddle on the Wings YouTube ban, the channel is apparently back up, the 13 videos are still to be reinstated, but it was a 'whataboutery' complaint by a Labour Councillor that caused this. (John Beattie has discussed it on the radio)

more here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-45046265
    Last edited by Golden Fleece; 02-08-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: link added
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Hearing the BBC back peddle on the Wings YouTube ban, the channel is apparently back up, the 13 videos are still to be reinstated, but it was a 'whataboutery' complaint by a Labour Councillor that caused this. (John Beattie has discussed it on the radio)

more here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-45046265
    Scottish politics is descending back into Stoneybridge Town Council with all this pettiness. It sums up Labour who are bereft of any idea what to do to reverse their decline.

The Labour councillor, who happens to be my local councillor, says he never made any such complaint to the BBC. So someone telling lies.

First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    What an utter embarrassment for the BBC!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    big welcome back wings :)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    It might reflect more the Scottish slant on things instead of the British one which by all accounts is really the English one. It also wouldn't be the BBC anymore which kind of highlights my point that self interest and survival of the BBC goes hand in hand with the British state and it's status quo.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It might reflect more the Scottish slant on things instead of the British one which by all accounts is really the English one. It also wouldn't be the BBC anymore which kind of highlights my point that self interest and survival of the BBC goes hand in hand with the British state and it's status quo.
    Surely the BBC would still operate as the BBC?

We'd just have an SBC instead, or nothing of that ilk.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Funny, Thatcher thought they were anything but pro state. Neither did Blair and Campbell when we had the Iraq enquiry. David Cameron expanded Leveson to include the BBC, even though it was originally aimed at Murdoch. Harold Wilson and James Callaghan were both very critical of the BBC and its editorial approach and expenditure.

Seems like most of the PMs we've had in the last fifty years have thought it anything but pro state. Naive to think otherwise.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

'...First they came for the YouTube clips and I did not speak out. Because I was not a YouTube clip.......'
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar

Butchers Apron

I see comments were locked on the main page about Butchers Aprons in Peloponnese .....Perhaps the BBC/establishment are grinding the organ on this site also

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    I see comments were locked on the main page about Butchers Aprons in Peloponnese .....Perhaps the BBC/establishment are grinding the organ on this site also
    Nope. Another pointless flag debate. Weve had more than a few of then over the years. It had run its course.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Problem - who to believe.
    Cllr Scott Arthur or Auntie

Maybe I'll just

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Just catching up with this story after my jaunt to Greece.

Wings has played a blinder.

Bbc, not so much. 👎

SCOTLAND CAN.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Surely the BBC would still operate as the BBC?

We'd just have an SBC instead, or nothing of that ilk.
    This. Just like the peeps in Northern Ireland get access to RTE and the Beeb.

J