hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 389

Thread: BBC bias again?

  1. #181
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,037
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im sorry, youve lost me. Of course the figures are from NHS (ISD) and it is those figures which the SG have apologised for, because they are currently way off target. Thats the media story, which i understood you felt was them displaying bias (apologies if i have picked you up wrong) as it misrepresented something.
    Sarah Smith mentioned the 100000 figure as having missed the 4 hour target in A&E. How can anyone confuse a weekly figure for an annual one. It wasn't even in the NHS report for the last week of December.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #182
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I should have clarified (which I did when I posted these figures previously) The ANNUAL figures for Scotland are the second best since 2013.



    Note the ANNUAL figure of 100,000, the figure Sarah Smith said was for the last week of 2017. That is some mistake to make when the actual figure missing the target for the week was in the region of 1,400 (the actual figure is out there somewhere)

    PS My health board, NHS Tayside A&E figure is 98.2% . Better than the target and ranked 2nd in Scotland. Scotland as a whole last met the A&E target in August last year.
    If she has honestly made that error and it is a whopper to be honest, then like newspapers the news programme should be forced to apologise and correct the error.

  4. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No worries mate!

    Ive been thinking about the craig thomson analogy here, because in my view, part of the problem here is that some people treat politics like they treat a fitba team - with an irrational and unquestioning support, particularly when challenged by someone they percieve as from the 'other team'.

    So, i habe witnessed with my own eyes thomson giving terrible, big and important decisions against us (or not giving them in tge case of that wee runt Black elbowing Griffiths).

    Do i believe he is rubbish, arrogant or any other defect that means hr makes terrible decisions from time to time? Yes. Do i believe he let the pressure of that occasion get to him, and either conciously or unconciously made poor decisions as a result? Yes.

    Do i believe he is personally biased against hibs? I dunno, im open minded about that but he has made enough bad decisions elsewhere that i lean more towards him just being rubbish than having a vendetta against hibs.

    But, even if i believe he is biased, it is quite a leap to think that he is biased because of orders he recieves from the SFA, decided by some anonymous committee of behind the scenes fitba guys who meet in total secrecy, who manage to exclude not only anyone involved with hibs, but also just anyone involved in fitba who has any integrity, professionalisn or sense of fair play. And of course, this committee has decided it will persecute hibs for reasons unknown, and give orders to presumably a team of 4 match officials without anyonr knowing, or blowing the whistle.

    Noe i have no difficulty that the SFA have, in the past been corrupt, but i just find it hard to believe that in a world of transparency, digital leaks, hacking and tv money, that such practices could exist without being exposed. And im also not sure why they would decidd to pick on hibs?

    So is it possible that a particular journo might be anti SNP? Yeah, i would say so. Is it possible that the entire BBC is systematically biased against the SNP? I suppose its possible, but it seems unlikely.

    I think there is lots of confirmation bias that goes on. I dont remember how many games thomson has had where he hasnt given bad decisions against hibs, orbhas given decisions for us. The bad ones stick in my mind, not the uneventful or positive ones.

    Also, supporters of the SNP have to accept that as a party pf govt, they will be attacked by all sides, fairly relentlessly. Thats the business of govt, and would and does happen to every govt, regardless of party. The tories down south are getting it relentlessly, as did the labour govt before them.

    And lastly, there also has to an acceptance that if your personal viewpoint is biased, then what you view as normal or fair will also be biased. And something that to a non-aligned person would seem fair, would appear biased to you because of your own bias.

    This is an interesting discussion. I take your point on stats, i am just too lazy to look for them - plus i am very suspicious of them anyway as they are too easily manipulated and spun.

    The difference for me between the sfa /ref bias/incompetence and the editor/journalist relationships is that in the latter The editor has a material input into the final outcomes.

    An SFA blazer isn't in Thompsons ear telling him to blow for a penalty that wasnt.
    A newspaper editor is involved in cutting and re-writing a story to comply with its owner's agenda.

    I accept some of what you're saying -yes a govt will be scrutinised intensely for eg. And yes they should be held accountable.

  5. #184
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Just on the stats point, it's important to recognise that while Scotland may be doing slightly better than England, both are generally miles off their target. Within all that there will be pockets where targets are being met but when you aggregate it up to a national level then both systems are struggling to provide effective, timely care.

    More importantly, and as I've said before I'm sure, it doesn't matter if you hit a target but miss the point. A+E waiting times are important but the pressure to meet them can have a perverse incentive e.g. people are moved from ward to ward unnecessarily, or discharged unsafely, because of that pressure at the front door. This merely increases the risk of things like hospital-acquired infections, or readmission. But that gets lost because the focus is on the four-hour waiting time.

    This isn't a party political point - there needs to be a serious, frank and candid debate about what health service we want because in my lifetime the only time it's really worked was c.Blair's second term when the spending taps were flowing and those days are unlikely to return anytime soon, unless we choose to fund that level of investment against the increasing demographic pressures - that's one for the health economists to calculate but I know it would mean an ongoing hike in taxes.

    Interestingly, Nick Boles (rabidly libertarian Tory minister) has suggested hypothecating National Insurance to fund the NHS. I say interesting, because despite him often having views that a left-of-centre voter would hate, sometimes his policy positions are exactly the same as Labour, albeit for different reasons. I've not fully thought it through, so I don't have an opinion as yet but what's also fascinating is the Treasury is reputed to have always been resistant to hypothecated taxation. That makes sense politically - it means the Treasury retains vast power at the expense of the big-spend departments like Education and Health, though whether that's ultimately good for the nation is a different story.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  6. #185
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,446
    I would be really interested to know if there are examples of the BBC mistakenly complimenting the performance of a devolved area, or of them featuring as Jock Public in a devolved-area report someone who was easily identified a tub-thumping indy sort.

  7. #186
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    The wee Ginger dug in inimitable form on the lastest outrage from the Britnat media pack. #Braw

    Being deafened by the “silenced”
    Jan
    20
    by weegingerdug
    The job of most media commentators in Scotland is to criticise the SNP. To do so they use a Scottish media which overwhelmingly takes as its starting point that British nationalism is the norm and is a norm which is not nationalist at all. The job of the media in Scotland is to judge Scotland by the standards of Britain. Their job is to shoehorn criticism of the SNP and Scottish independence into any topic you care to think of. Their job is to undermine Scottish self-confidence and instill in us the fear that we couldn’t cope as a normal nation. But don’t you dare criticise them back, and for the sake of all the gods don’t dream of mocking them. That means you’re a tyrant who is silencing them.
    The state capitol building in Hartford Connecticut has a domed roof covered with golf leaf. It’s a big building, it’s a big dome, but the amount of the precious metal used to gild it works out at a couple of gold coins’ worth. That’s because gold leaf is incredibly thin, a mere couple of hundred of atoms thick. If you could cut a leaf of gold leaf into cubes with the length and breadth equal to the thickness, each would be smaller than a virus. A single gold sovereign coin, if beaten out into gold leaf, could cover the floor of a room in your house. That’s how thin gold leaf is, but it’s still a whole lot thicker than the skin of your average media apologist for Scottish Unionism. And unlike British nationalism, gold leaf won’t tarnish.
    One of the iron-clad laws of Scottish politics is that those who have greatest access to publicity, to the media, and to the corridors of British power, are those who complain most about how they are being silenced. Generally it turns out that they’re being silenced by people who write blogs which get only a fraction of the readership of a newspaper, or by ordinary punters who tweet mockery. Public figures with a platform in a national newspaper and who make regular appearances as a commentator on the telly are being bullied because a granny in Grangemouth tweets a cutting remark. Oh the irony, the British state with its military fetish, its nukes, its Brexit, its nostalgia for empire, and it’s complaining that it’s being bullied by a guy in Invergordon with an internet connection. The privileged always regard a challenge to their privilege as discrimination. The privileged are always the first to rush to claim victim status.
    They’re being victimised and silenced because they no longer can lecture us without push-back. Their definition of democracy is one where they should be allowed to tell us how bad an independent Scotland would be without being challenged. Dare to challenge, and there will be anguished articles in several newspapers and right wing magazines bewailing how silenced they are. Talking heads will pop up on politics programmes to lecture us about how they’re being silenced. We’re being deafened by the silenced. The bullies are complaining that the bullied are threatening them.
    Those who are really silenced, those who really struggle to make their voices and opinions heard, are being told by those who disproportionately dominate the mass media that the silenced are silencing those with the megaphones. People who oppose independence are far more likely to be given a platform than those who support it. Scotland has a legion of Conservative commentators, far out of proportion to the number of Conservatives. Meanwhile the likelihood of a pro-independence voice in Scotland being granted access to the TV, or to the vast majority of Scotland’s print media, is directly proportional to that voice’s willingness to attack and criticise other pro-independence voices.
    It’s now day three of The Biggest Scandal in Scottish Politics Since Last Week, beardy-glasses-guy-gate. The SNP party political broadcast featuring a beardy guy with hipster glasses, who may or may not have been based upon the Herald columnist and proponent of SNPbadness David Torrance, has spawned outraged articles in the Herald, the Scotsman, the Times, the Express, and on Saturday Stephen Daisley piled in with a piece in the Spectator. That’s the Daisley who was silenced by the SNP and who told us all, at great length, about how silenced he was in his columns for the Mail and the Spectator. No doubt there will be more pieces decrying the SNP’s intolerance of criticism in the Sundays.
    Mind you, for a party that’s supposedly intolerant of criticism it does seem to come in for an awful lot of criticism. It is impossible to open a newspaper or view a news broadcast in Scotland without being subjected to a barrage of stories telling us just how terrible the SNP is. So it does appear that what those who complain about the SNP’s supposed intolerance of criticism are really upset about is when the party turns the tables on its critics and gently takes the piss out of them.
    Hysterical voices like the Lib Dem MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton have complained about the “tyranny” of the SNP. In Alex’s world, tyranny is when a party produces a video featuring a guy who bears a passing resemblance to a right wing columnist who’s a pal of Alex’s. If Alex had never stoked the fires by submitting his ridiculously petulant complaint to Ofcom, the entire episode would have passed as nothing more than a little bit of piss-taking on Twitter. Instead Alex wants to liken it to the oppression of journalists by authoritarian regimes. That’s the very definition of victimhood seeking.
    It has all been counterproductive. All that has happened is that a party political broadcast which would have struggled to have attracted an audience of a few thousand people will now be seen by considerably more. By complaining loudly and vociferously that they’re being silenced, the apologists for British nationalism have only amplified the audience for the video that they claim is silencing them.
    The real silenced in Scotland is the half of the population who support independence but who rarely see their viewpoint given airtime or column inches in a Scottish media which is overwhelmingly British nationalist in outlook. When apologists for British nationalism complain that they are being silenced, what they really mean is that they are appalled that other voices, voices which disagree with them, demand to be heard as well.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  8. #187
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,571
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The wee Ginger dug in inimitable form on the lastest outrage from the Britnat media pack. #Braw

    Being deafened by the “silenced”
    Jan
    20
    by weegingerdug
    The job of most media commentators in Scotland is to criticise the SNP. To do so they use a Scottish media which overwhelmingly takes as its starting point that British nationalism is the norm and is a norm which is not nationalist at all. The job of the media in Scotland is to judge Scotland by the standards of Britain. Their job is to shoehorn criticism of the SNP and Scottish independence into any topic you care to think of. Their job is to undermine Scottish self-confidence and instill in us the fear that we couldn’t cope as a normal nation. But don’t you dare criticise them back, and for the sake of all the gods don’t dream of mocking them. That means you’re a tyrant who is silencing them.
    The state capitol building in Hartford Connecticut has a domed roof covered with golf leaf. It’s a big building, it’s a big dome, but the amount of the precious metal used to gild it works out at a couple of gold coins’ worth. That’s because gold leaf is incredibly thin, a mere couple of hundred of atoms thick. If you could cut a leaf of gold leaf into cubes with the length and breadth equal to the thickness, each would be smaller than a virus. A single gold sovereign coin, if beaten out into gold leaf, could cover the floor of a room in your house. That’s how thin gold leaf is, but it’s still a whole lot thicker than the skin of your average media apologist for Scottish Unionism. And unlike British nationalism, gold leaf won’t tarnish.
    One of the iron-clad laws of Scottish politics is that those who have greatest access to publicity, to the media, and to the corridors of British power, are those who complain most about how they are being silenced. Generally it turns out that they’re being silenced by people who write blogs which get only a fraction of the readership of a newspaper, or by ordinary punters who tweet mockery. Public figures with a platform in a national newspaper and who make regular appearances as a commentator on the telly are being bullied because a granny in Grangemouth tweets a cutting remark. Oh the irony, the British state with its military fetish, its nukes, its Brexit, its nostalgia for empire, and it’s complaining that it’s being bullied by a guy in Invergordon with an internet connection. The privileged always regard a challenge to their privilege as discrimination. The privileged are always the first to rush to claim victim status.
    They’re being victimised and silenced because they no longer can lecture us without push-back. Their definition of democracy is one where they should be allowed to tell us how bad an independent Scotland would be without being challenged. Dare to challenge, and there will be anguished articles in several newspapers and right wing magazines bewailing how silenced they are. Talking heads will pop up on politics programmes to lecture us about how they’re being silenced. We’re being deafened by the silenced. The bullies are complaining that the bullied are threatening them.
    Those who are really silenced, those who really struggle to make their voices and opinions heard, are being told by those who disproportionately dominate the mass media that the silenced are silencing those with the megaphones. People who oppose independence are far more likely to be given a platform than those who support it. Scotland has a legion of Conservative commentators, far out of proportion to the number of Conservatives. Meanwhile the likelihood of a pro-independence voice in Scotland being granted access to the TV, or to the vast majority of Scotland’s print media, is directly proportional to that voice’s willingness to attack and criticise other pro-independence voices.
    It’s now day three of The Biggest Scandal in Scottish Politics Since Last Week, beardy-glasses-guy-gate. The SNP party political broadcast featuring a beardy guy with hipster glasses, who may or may not have been based upon the Herald columnist and proponent of SNPbadness David Torrance, has spawned outraged articles in the Herald, the Scotsman, the Times, the Express, and on Saturday Stephen Daisley piled in with a piece in the Spectator. That’s the Daisley who was silenced by the SNP and who told us all, at great length, about how silenced he was in his columns for the Mail and the Spectator. No doubt there will be more pieces decrying the SNP’s intolerance of criticism in the Sundays.
    Mind you, for a party that’s supposedly intolerant of criticism it does seem to come in for an awful lot of criticism. It is impossible to open a newspaper or view a news broadcast in Scotland without being subjected to a barrage of stories telling us just how terrible the SNP is. So it does appear that what those who complain about the SNP’s supposed intolerance of criticism are really upset about is when the party turns the tables on its critics and gently takes the piss out of them.
    Hysterical voices like the Lib Dem MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton have complained about the “tyranny” of the SNP. In Alex’s world, tyranny is when a party produces a video featuring a guy who bears a passing resemblance to a right wing columnist who’s a pal of Alex’s. If Alex had never stoked the fires by submitting his ridiculously petulant complaint to Ofcom, the entire episode would have passed as nothing more than a little bit of piss-taking on Twitter. Instead Alex wants to liken it to the oppression of journalists by authoritarian regimes. That’s the very definition of victimhood seeking.
    It has all been counterproductive. All that has happened is that a party political broadcast which would have struggled to have attracted an audience of a few thousand people will now be seen by considerably more. By complaining loudly and vociferously that they’re being silenced, the apologists for British nationalism have only amplified the audience for the video that they claim is silencing them.
    The real silenced in Scotland is the half of the population who support independence but who rarely see their viewpoint given airtime or column inches in a Scottish media which is overwhelmingly British nationalist in outlook. When apologists for British nationalism complain that they are being silenced, what they really mean is that they are appalled that other voices, voices which disagree with them, demand to be heard as well.

    Christ that's dull.

  9. #188
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,415
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Christ that's dull.
    Probably the biggest waste of a minute in my entire life.

  10. #189
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,786
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Christ that's dull.
    Typical of the guy unfortunately. I had high hopes for The National. I stopped buying it when it became more like a print version of Wings.
    Last edited by marinello59; 22-01-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  11. #190
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,415
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typical of the guy unfortunately. I had high hopes for The National. I stopped buying it when it became more like a print version of Wings.
    Yep, it's so boring and predictable.

  12. #191
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typical of the guy unfortunately. I had high hopes for The National. I stopped buying it when it became more like a print version of Wings.
    Playing to their audience and selling more, we know many on here lap it up as if it's gospel.

  13. #192
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,754

    BBC bias again?

    Never saw the broadcast so had a wee gander today thanks to the wee Scotty dug or whatever he's called.

    I have to say that the 'silenced ones' look like they have a point.

    Clearly the character is meant to be the journo. Infantile was my first thought.

    Then thinking about it more it crossed my mind that it was a bit of a play straight out of the authoritarians play book...essentially we have the SNP, the party of government, lampooning a journalist (who has paid them quite a lot of attention, not always favourable) in a party political broadcast. Pretty poor form.

    Then of course the wee dug comes out managing to fit in Brexit, nuclear weapons, British nationalism, Scottish unionism and of course a wee mention of the Empire while telling us all that objecting to such low ball manoeuvres is a conspiracy against Independence....

  14. #193
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typical of the guy unfortunately. I had high hopes for The National. I stopped buying it when it became more like a print version of Wings.
    I don't think the National would have printed his blog in the full form, if at all.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  15. #194
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never saw the broadcast so had a wee gander today thanks to the wee Scotty dug or whatever he's called.

    I have to say that the 'silenced ones' look like they have a point.

    Clearly the character is meant to be the journo. Infantile was my first thought.

    Then thinking about it more it crossed my mind that it was a bit of a play straight out of the authoritarians play book...essentially we have the SNP, the party of government, lampooning a journalist (who has paid them quite a lot of attention, not always favourable) in a party political broadcast. Pretty poor form.

    Then of course the wee dug comes out managing to fit in Brexit, nuclear weapons, British nationalism, Scottish unionism and of course a wee mention of the Empire while telling us all that objecting to such low ball manoeuvres is a conspiracy against Independence....
    Do you really think the SNP would ask for a doppelganger of Dr David Torrance? The PPB would have reached around a couple of thousand people, but our friendly Unionist hacks have done it a favour, it's now reaching the tens of thousands.

    The only person who managed to escalate this PPB was David's pal, Alex cole Hamilton. Imagine laying a motion in parliament about it.

    The Brit nat media are falling over themselves to make a story out of nothing. As Usual.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  16. #195
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,914
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1..._in_broadcast/

    What's next, NS telling Teresa May she has a big red button on her desk to call the next referendum and she is not afraid to use it.
    Last edited by johnbc70; 22-01-2018 at 06:56 PM.

  17. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1..._in_broadcast/

    What's next, NS telling Teresa May she has a big button on her desk to call the next referendum and she is not afraid to use it.
    Did you genuflect and bless yourself when you were typing out your favorite politician's name .....?
    Your OWN First Minister was only mere capitals, obviously couldn't stomach even mentioning her name or as is usual surname,
    whereas
    she who must be obeyed, praise be upon her, got her full name, and capitalized as well! You in for a knighthood by any chance.....
    Another thing, I'm sure NS will be asked endlessly why she is or isn't calling a referendum anyway.....! Thank god we have fluffy and the 13 earbenders fighting our corner!!!

  18. #197
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1..._in_broadcast/

    What's next, NS telling Teresa May she has a big red button on her desk to call the next referendum and she is not afraid to use it.
    "THE SNP have been accused of aping Donald Trump by launching a “dangerous” attack on the freedom of the press in their latest party political broadcast."

    This has got to be a wind up, or are the Herald just supporting one of their own.

    Torrance himself, even tweeted about it the other day. I wonder what he said.

    https://wingsoverscotland.com/david-...ce-fact-check/
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 22-01-2018 at 07:13 PM.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  19. #198
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz23jc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you genuflect and bless yourself when you were typing out your favorite politician's name .....?
    Your OWN First Minister was only mere capitals, obviously couldn't stomach even mentioning her name or as is usual surname,
    whereas
    she who must be obeyed, praise be upon her, got her full name, and capitalized as well! You in for a knighthood by any chance.....
    Another thing, I'm sure NS will be asked endlessly why she is or isn't calling a referendum anyway.....! Thank god we have fluffy and the 13 earbenders fighting our corner!!!
    Wow must have hit a nerve there!

  20. #199
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,571
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow must have hit a nerve there!
    Looks awfy like it.

  21. #200
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1..._in_broadcast/

    What's next, NS telling Teresa May she has a big red button on her desk to call the next referendum and she is not afraid to use it.
    Ach, the poor wee lamb. How cruel to have a wee laugh at him. Still, on the bright side I suppose him greetin about it will probably help him sell some of those books he's written.

  22. #201
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    I don't think it was a very good idea for the SNP to lampoon David Torrance (if that's what they did).
    While it is tempting to have a pot-shot, the rubber bullet can bounce back on the firer.
    I would have thought a sound and mature approach would be a far better way of handling this political midgie. The SNP would, and could, do better if they kept out of the custard pie fight. They should ignore the clown(s) and focus on the real issues in the Big Top.

  23. #202
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you really think the SNP would ask for a doppelganger of Dr David Torrance? The PPB would have reached around a couple of thousand people, but our friendly Unionist hacks have done it a favour, it's now reaching the tens of thousands.

    The only person who managed to escalate this PPB was David's pal, Alex cole Hamilton. Imagine laying a motion in parliament about it.

    The Brit nat media are falling over themselves to make a story out of nothing. As Usual.
    Seriously? So it was all just a total coincidence...

    And of course it's all about the 'Brit bat media' now...a depressingly predictable follow up to another well crafted straw man.

  24. #203
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    12,037
    Having met David Torrance at the Ed BookFest last year and watching the PPB I can confirm there are some similarities, both have glasses and a beard, but then so have I.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  25. #204
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? So it was all just a total coincidence...

    And of course it's all about the 'Brit bat media' now...a depressingly predictable follow up to another well crafted straw man.
    Alex Cole Hamilton has got you, hook line, and sinker.

    #imdavey


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  26. #205
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? So it was all just a total coincidence...

    And of course it's all about the 'Brit bat media' now...a depressingly predictable follow up to another well crafted straw man.
    That does tend to be the go-to position of the more zealous SNP guys on here - attack the messenger if you dont like the message.

    Personally i think Torrance is a bit of a welt, and it does seem fairly harmless. However i do agree that it is a worrying approach to politics IF the nats start to ape some of their followers and attack the media because it says things you dont like. Very Trump-esque tactics, unfortunately. Maybe its just the future of political campaigning in the social-media world.

  27. #206
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alex Cole Hamilton has got you, hook line, and sinker.

    #imdavey
    Ha ha it was your post I read, nothing from Alex Cole Hamilton....

    It was a grubby little stunt, simple as that but you appear to support the fact that actually the response to the stunt is the story and should be used to show us all how the echoes of the empire and the biased Brit Nat media are being used to keep us all in our place. As I said, boring predictable.

  28. #207
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha ha it was your post I read, nothing from Alex Cole Hamilton....

    It was a grubby little stunt, simple as that but you appear to support the fact that actually the response to the stunt is the story and should be used to show us all how the echoes of the empire and the biased Brit Nat media are being used to keep us all in our place. As I said, boring predictable.
    😁

    So, you've made your mind up without having researched the full picture. Not like you bud.

    You're a lost cause. 😂


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  29. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That does tend to be the go-to position of the more zealous SNP guys on here - attack the messenger if you dont like the message.

    Personally i think Torrance is a bit of a welt, and it does seem fairly harmless. However i do agree that it is a worrying approach to politics IF the nats start to ape some of their followers and attack the media because it says things you dont like. Very Trump-esque tactics, unfortunately. Maybe its just the future of political campaigning in the social-media world.
    Seriously? I think it was meant as a gentle wind up, no?

    A lot of twisted British knickers on this thread.

  30. #209
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    So, you've made your mind up without having researched the full picture. Not like you bud.

    You're a lost cause.
    You kindly presented the dug's full and in depth research of the 'full picture' which saved me the effort of spending my days analysing this tawdry little tale...

    And which cause am I lost to? If it's the Machiavellian approach to furthering the Indy agenda then you have at least got that right

  31. #210
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? I think it was meant as a gentle wind up, no?

    A lot of twisted British knickers on this thread.
    I was referring to the principle rather than that specific example, as practiced by our friendly hibs.net neighbourhood SNP political education and liaison officer, among others. Hence my capitalised IF... ☺

    Ha ha, my union jack, FTP, british bulldog boxers remain firmly untwisted..😊

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved