hibs.net Messageboard

Ken Buchanan radio interview

I listened to an interview this afternoon on the radio that moved me to tears. Tom English interviewed Ken on Radio Scotland and it was one of the best bits of radio I've heard in many a year. IMO Buchanan is arguably the best pound for pound boxer we've ever produced and the lack of recognition he received in his home city never mind his country is scandalous. Posting on here is the limit of my ability but if anyone can post a link to the podcast/interview I think many will find it's well worth a listen. His battles with alcoholism are well documented and I hope it's one he can win.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    I used to know Kenny well, went to Wembley with him in 79 I think. Last saw him in Alhambra Bar, weekend we beat Killie in LC final. He was a mess, didn't know me at all. To put his boxing career/ability in perspective, in the early 70's he was voted Ring magazine boxer of the year. The runner up was Muhammad Ali!

Coaching Staff
    He was in a local pub when we lost to The Rangers recently - sat on his own. I think I was the only one that recognised him from those seated around us - he sat with his drink and was quite solitary but I have to say I was a wee bit in awe. When you imagine the nights that he enjoyed as a world class boxer and there he was nursing a drink, on is own, in a local southside boozer it just made me feel a wee bit sorry for the man - which is something I am sure he does not want people doing.

An exceptional boxer, almost definitely the best we ever produced, and arguably in the top 5 of Scotland best sportsmen ever. Going to Panama and winning a world title was a remarkable acheivement. As said above he once beat Ali to Ring Magazine fighter of the year! He never really got over the loss to Duran imo, more the circumstances as opposed to the fight in which he took a bit of a beating. It's easy to blame his subsequent issues on that, and they undoubtedly played a part, but so many boxers experience personal issues when they give it up. It's a sport that takes everything from someone and often gives little back, it's no wonder many struggle when it's all over.

Kens dad, Kenny snr, was a big Hibs fan. Used to sit a few rows in front of me in the FF. Ken jnr was a Hearts fan. Sad as it is to say I'm delighted this thread isn't about his death as that's what I first feared when I saw the title.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to know Kenny well, went to Wembley with him in 79 I think. Last saw him in Alhambra Bar, weekend we beat Killie in LC final. He was a mess, didn't know me at all. To put his boxing career/ability in perspective in the early 70's he was voted Ring magazine boxer of the year. The runner up was Muhammad Ali!
    Still see him going between the same old haunts but the interview on the radio really struck a chord, Roberto Duran who was the best you ever fought? "Buchanan" that was the gist of the interview brog the Americans rated him more than his own people.

Met him a few times and worked beside for a wee while, always a decent guy. Best bit this afternoon was when he corrected English that Ali was supporting him as he was the champion.

Was he not back working as a joiner after his boxing career finnished
    I seem to remember somebody telling me this

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    An exceptional boxer, almost definitely the best we ever produced, and arguably in the top 5 of Scotland best sportsmen ever. Going to Panama and winning a world title was a remarkable acheivement. As said above he once beat Ali to Ring Magazine fighter of the year! He never really got over the loss to Duran imo, more the circumstances as opposed to the fight in which he took a bit of a beating. It's easy to blame his subsequent issues on that, and they undoubtedly played a part, but so many boxers experience personal issues when they give it up. It's a sport that takes everything from someone and often gives little back, it's no wonder many struggle when it's all over.

Kens dad, Kenny snr, was a big Hibs fan. Used to sit a few rows in front of me in the FF. Ken jnr was a Hearts fan. Sad as it is to say I'm delighted this thread isn't about his death as that's what I first feared when I saw the title.
    Good post PB - have to say, met his son once and thought he was an arrogant so and so..........not sure if this is the case but did they not fall out ? Anyway, I thought he looked very forlorn a few weeks ago - didn't stop me looking at the guy for what he was, a boxing legend

First Team Breakthrough

he won the world title in puerto rico against hall of fame fighter ismael laguna , who was hard as nails and slick with it. In his first book ken claims he followed hibs when he was younger.

Left by mutual consent!
    My old man grew up beside Buchanan in kings buildings in Porty. Buchanan had been bullying my Auntie Cathy and my Auntie Barbara battered him. Think they were about five right enough but auntie Barbara could have been a contender.

Kens dad, Kenny snr, was a big Hibs fan. Used to sit a few rows in front of me in the FF. Ken jnr was a Hearts fan. Sad as it is to say I'm delighted this thread isn't about uis death as that's what I first feared when I saw the title.
    I thought his take on the Duran fight and everything that came after was quality. Just realised the thread title might have made people fear the worst, genuinely just wanted to flag up the interview as I thought it was great.

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    He got on my bus at the foot of the walk about two years ago, I never recognised him, he couldn't find his pass, fumbled about for a bit then without a word walked straight off again, right after that an older woman on the bus spoke to me and told me who he was, he wasn't drunk but it was obvious to me he was a long term drinker by his demeanor, too young to remember him at his prime but aware just how amazing his career actually was.
    I'm mindful of the fate of the great Benny Lynch and how he had an even swifter demise.
    Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He was in a local pub when we lost to The Rangers recently - sat on his own. I think I was the only one that recognised him from those seated around us - he sat with his drink and was quite solitary but I have to say I was a wee bit in awe. When you imagine the nights that he enjoyed as a world class boxer and there he was nursing a drink, on is own, in a local southside boozer it just made me feel a wee bit sorry for the man - which is something I am sure he does not want people doing.
    He was in The Spey Lounge that night too, didnae realise who it was until my old man told me. A pub crawl of my old mans old haunts was an "interesting" but, certainly not sobering experience! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    he won the world title in puerto rico against hall of fame fighter ismael laguna , who was hard as nails and slick with it. In his first book ken claims he followed hibs when he was younger.
    You're right of course, he beat a Panamaniam on Puerto Rico.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Here is a link to the radio show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/32474375

It's a sad story but one we've all heard before many times.

I speak to Ken quite alot.He comes into my shop pretty frequently.

To see the condition he is in now is a crying shame, not only with the demon drink, but also his state of mind.He spent some time in the royal Ed recently and I'm sure he'll be back there soon enough.It's really pretty distressing talking to him and witnessing his demise over the last few years.It's also disturbing seeing him walking along Junction St and not a soul realising they're in the company of genuine greatness, absolute boxing royalty.I asked him about Mayweather vs Paq last week and he couldn't care less, just like he couldn't care less about football, never really has.

He's a Wick man, brought south as a small child.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I seen him quite often due to where i work and its sad seeing him looking like he does now, not the 1st boxer to end up like this and i know for a fact wont be the last

For anyone in any doubts about just how good he was here's a couple of YouTube videos:

Full fight v Laguna to win the title:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oGdi4RkQp0E

Stopping 3 time champion Carlos Ortiz after the 6th round:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzHR3h2OP4

Beating Jim Watt:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjqALAyYx0

i see him quite a bit in leith walk, told my daughter that the guy in the long black coat was an ex world champ boxer, she thought he was an undertaker :( had to help him at the cashpoint one time, called him champ and he was brand new, my inlaws tell me a story of him buying a boozer/hotel many moons ago and the local hard nuts would go there just to challenge him to a square go nice guy just a shame he hasnt been able to keep the heid as they say.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    i see him quite a bit in leith walk, told my daughter that the guy in the long black coat was an ex world champ boxer, she thought he was an undertaker :( had to help him at the cashpoint one time, called him champ and he was brand new, my inlaws tell me a story of him buying a boozer/hotel many moons ago and the local hard nuts would go there just to challenge him to a square go nice guy just a shame he hasnt been able to keep the heid as they say.
    His hotel was on Ferry road, we used to dink in there on a sunday, and my mothers wake was held there. All i really remember about the place was the tartan carpet.