hibs.net Messageboard

Hybrid View

50 years ago this weekend

Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later.

What I hadn't appreciated was that Killie had been runners up in the league 4 times in the previous 5 seasons.

The table that season ended up as follows:

1) Kilmarnock - 50 points -goal difference (GD) =+29
    2) HOMFC - 50 points - GD = +41
    3) Dunfermline - 49 points - GD = +47
    4) Hibernian - 46 points - GD = +28

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

I remember being at the match. Changed days in so many ways.

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Didn't something similar happen to the "famous" more recently as well?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    [QUOTE=emerald green;4357596]Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later.

What I hadn't appreciated was that Killie had been runners up in the league 4 times in the previous 5 seasons.

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.[/QUO

the score was 2-0 and if it had been 2-1 then hearts would have won it. my late dad who was a jambo took me ( i was 10) all i can mind is jensen hitting the post and willie waddel running on at the end. your right tho hibs were close to winning it to.

[QUOTE=eastterrace;4357613]
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later.

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.[/QUO

the score was 2-0 and if it had been 2-1 then hearts would have won it. my late dad who was a jambo took me ( i was 10) all i can mind is jensen hitting the post and willie waddel running on at the end. your right tho hibs were close to winning it to.
    My mistake. You are right. Alan Gordon had a shot right near the end of the match which would have made it 2-1, but there was a great save by the Kilmarnock goalkeeper.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=emerald green;4357615]
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post

My mistake. You are right. Alan Gordon had a shot right near the end of the match which would have made it 2-1, but there was a great save by the Kilmarnock goalkeeper.
    I was there wearing my brothers Leith Academy scarf (Blue and white stripes), happy day indeed

[QUOTE=linlithgowhibbie;4358286]

I was there wearing my brothers Leith Academy scarf (Blue and white stripes), happy day indeed
    One of the things I remember from that day was the large support Kilmarnock had inside Tynecastle.

No segregation either in a 37,000 crowd, and I don't remember any trouble in the ground.

Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    [QUOTE=emerald green;4358745]
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post

One of the things I remember from that day was the large support Kilmarnock had inside Tynecastle.

No segregation either in a 37,000 crowd, and I don't remember any trouble in the ground.

Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day!

Is there any chance we were in it that year and won?

Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day![/QUOTE]

I was there! The biggest crowd I've ever been in. McNeill scored the classic winner with a header from a corner late on. Alex Edwards was the tricky Pars winger at that time and Jim Herriot the athletic goalie.

I don't remember being bothered about events at Tynecastle but in those days there wasn't the same bitterness between the Edinburgh fans. Hibs had a tremendous team then although the defence could be flaky as in later years!

[QUOTE=linlithgowhibbie;4358286]

Bad Boy Linlithgowhibbie. You should have been supporting your local team

@hibs.net private member
    As I understand it had Jock Stein not been heavily in gambling debt he would not have left Hibs. Celtic were prepared to clear that debt and the rest is history.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    As I understand it had Jock Stein not been heavily in gambling debt he would not have left Hibs. Celtic were prepared to clear that debt and the rest is history.
    All hearsay of course but that interest in gambling is also cited as the reason Stein was never given a boardroom post at Celtic.

To be fair,, Shankly, his replacement had a fine managerial record and built a very good side , but the Stein season remains one of the biggest if only' sin Hibs history.

Will any side out with Celtic-Rangers ever win the Scottish League again? I have my doubts. 30 years of duopoly has been horrendous for our game and the gap is greater than it's ever been.

Blog Entries

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.
    I was at the game also in McLeod St end with my Hibs scarf discretely tucked inside my jacket. Near the end of the game I realised King Pat was standing in front of me, IIRC with his cousin Mickey McManus & Pat was even more discretely wearing his Hibs blazer! At the end of the game we shared a quietly exuberant, but extremely manly hug!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I was at the game also in McLeod St end with my Hibs scarf discretely tucked inside my jacket. Near the end of the game I realised King Pat was standing in front of me, IIRC with his cousin Mickey McManus & Pat was even more discretely wearing his Hibs blazer! At the end of the game we shared a quietly exuberant, but extremely manly hug!
    I remember going to the Speedway at Meadowbank that night, to be disgusted to meet a fellow Leith Academy school chum, who had always up to that point been a Hibs supporter, wearing a Hearts scarf.

Appears he turned glory hunter for the day and my attempts to dispense summary justice there and then were negated by a much older yam.

Interestingly said glory hunter went on to be a well known sports writer for an Edinburgh publication, and I am aware he has spoken at social nights as a...Hibs supporter.

I know, and he knows about his dark momentary secret past though......