hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Hibs Share Issue - Current Status

What's the current status of Hibs' Share Issue?

I've read a few things on here about various individuals and groups buying shares but it sounds like it's only a tiny percentage of the circa £2M made available.

Has it actually been a flop or am I misreading things?

Anybody know?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don't know but it could do with a shot in the arm marketing wise. To be fair to the club though, focusing on promotion will be taking up everyone's time.
    The Summer months would be a good time to really push this.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Share issue was always going to be a long term thing.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I've read a few things on here about various individuals and groups buying shares but it sounds like it's only a tiny percentage of the circa £2M made available.

Anybody know?
    The fans reps on the board might be able to update on the number of shares sold? HSL should know what cash they have to buy with and the amount currently bought. I'd like to know as well

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    The fans reps on the board might be able to update on the number of shares sold? HSL should know what cash they have to buy with and the amount currently bought. I'd like to know as well

It would be nice to know the figures so far.

The fact that nobody at Hibs has mentioned this for a while suggests to me that it's not going too well.

I'd be delighted to be wrong, though.

If they had been flying off the shelves Hibs would be making a big deal of it ... this is looking like a marathon rather than a sprint, but I don't see anything wrong with that TBH. Its not a club saving exercise after all.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If they had been flying off the shelves Hibs would be making a big deal of it ... this is looking like a marathon rather than a sprint, but I don't see anything wrong with that TBH. Its not a club saving exercise after all.
    While that is true, the more people who have signed up, the bigger Alan Stubbs's budget will be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    While that is true, the more people who have signed up, the bigger Alan Stubbs's budget will be next season.
    I've bought shares and renewed my season ticket ..... I'm a good wee Hibby

Paul Kane told one of my Dad's mates on Saturday that we had only sold £120k worth of shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Paul Kane told one of my Dad's mates on Saturday that we had only sold £120k worth of shares.
    Yes because Paul Kane would have first hand knowledge of the figure.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Paul Kane of BuyHibs?

I'm sure there's no agenda there........
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    Yes because Paul Kane would have first hand knowledge of the figure.

As others have said, we didn't have the burning bush of saving our club from liquidation.

Motherwell Model
    In 2011 Leeann worked with Motherwell owner John Boyle to set up the Well Society, a corporate-designed model to obtain more supporter investment in the club and facilitate an exit strategy for Boyle. A further move was made to transfer shares into a fans vehicle to take it forward but this enterprise has failed to meet the requisite funding targets.

Kilmarnock Model
    In 2014, Rod's close ally at Killie, Michael Johnston was faced with a challenge from fans groups who had support from SDS under the banner of the Killie Community Working Party. The KCWP/SDS partnership posed a strong threat to Johnston's power base as owner and so he faced this off with his own scheme. He put together his own corporate 'Community' proposition offering seats on the board in return for business investment.

Board controlled change
    Both these schemes were created to generate much needed investment rather than achieve a radical transfer of ownership. Rod recruited Leeann, studied the Killie and Motherwell models, tweaked them a bit then worked behind the scenes with members of the Hibs-supporting business community to set up HSL. He also worked with Johnston, Doncaster and others to sack the SDS director thus destablising the fans-led schemes

Evolution - not revolution
    With the HSL model, investors put in cash to a company owned by Sir Tom Farmer, the current chairman and run by the board. Petrie has effectively been replaced by Leeann in terms of the day to day running of the club. This was badly needed as Rod was trying (and failing) to fulfill both the chairman's role and the CEO. We have two additional supporters on the board (We already had 6) and these 2 have been democratically elected by fans. The club is still evolving under Leeann's leadership but to be honest, full community ownership still seems a long, long way off - if indeed it will ever be realised. Farmer and Petrie still hold all the power and do not look likely to transfer that over any time soon.
    Last edited by RIP; 23-04-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    As others have said, we didn't have the burning bush of saving our club from liquidation.

Motherwell Model
    In 2011 Leeann worked with Motherwell owner John Boyle to set up the Well Society, a corporate-designed model to obtain more supporter investment in the club and facilitate an exit strategy for Boyle. A further move was made to transfer shares into a fans vehicle to take it forward but this enterprise has failed to meet the requisite funding targets.

Kilmarnock Model
    In 2014, Rod's close ally at Killie, Michael Johnston was faced with a challenge from fans groups who had support from SDS under the banner of the Killie Community Working Party. The KCWP/SDS partnership posed a strong threat to Johnston's power base as owner and so he faced this off with his own scheme. He put together his own corporate 'Community' proposition offering seats on the board in return for business investment.

Board controlled change
    Both these schemes were created to generate much needed investment rather than achieve a radical transfer of ownership. Rod recruited Leeann, studied the Killie and Motherwell models, tweaked them a bit then worked behind the scenes with members of the Hibs-supporting business community to set up HSL. He also worked with Johnston, Doncaster and others to sack the SDS director thus destablising the fans-led schemes

With the HSL model, investors put in cash to a company owned by Sir Tom Farmer, the current chairman and run by the board. Petrie has effectively been replaced by Leeann in terms of the day to day running of the club. This was badly needed as Rod was trying (and failing) to fulfill both the chairman's role and the CEO. We have two additional supporters on the board (We already had 6) and these 2 have been democratically elected by fans. The club is still evolving under Leeann's leadership but to be honest, full community ownership still seems a long, long way off - if indeed it will ever be realised. Farmer and Petrie still hold all the power and do not look likely to transfer that over any time soon.
    Eh they could hand over the power tomorrow if fans bought shares or into HSL - I invested at the first opportunity into HSL I hope it works but we are at the stage of put up or shut up - we know the solution its up to people if they want to invest in it enough to change the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

Motherwell Model

Kilmarnock Model

Board controlled change

They have already stated that they'd sell the club to the right people. I'm glad they didn't sell to any of the "bidders" who appeared over the last year.

They've also been constrained by the new rules on selling unlisted shares so any transfer to fan ownership is bound to be a long process.

I'm not a fan of fan ownership but it's the only game in town so I've joined HSL and bought some more shares on my own.

As the offer is open until August(?) I think it's a bit early to declare the scheme a success or a failure.

This is a long term project. If we have already sold £120k worth of shares then that's a large lump of additional revenue raised already. That should be celebrated rather than dismissed as 'only' one hundred and twenty thousand quid.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This is a long term project. If we have already sold £120k worth of shares then that's a large lump of additional revenue raised already. That should be celebrated rather than dismissed as 'only' one hundred and twenty thousand quid.
    Indeed.

On a 3 year contract, that's an extra £800 per week. Not to be sneered at.

£120k is not too bad as the money mostly comes in in monthly instalments.
    Obviously a few will have just paid the £220 up front.

No offence to you, but Kano is not privvy to the information of how many shares have been sold.... Pure conjecture on his part
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Coaching Staff
    Nice touch today, I got a call from Frank Dougan to check out how my share application is coming along. Mine is in hand but great idea for a Director to pick up the phone and speak to people who maybe registered but haven't followed up.

Well done Frank. It was nice to have a wee chat with him about the game last night and how he is enjoying his role.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Nice touch today, I got a call from Frank Dougan to check out how my share application is coming along. Mine is in hand but great idea for a Director to pick up the phone and speak to people who maybe registered but haven't followed up.

Well done Frank. It was nice to have a wee chat with him about the game last night and how he is enjoying his role.
    Great touch.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Well, well, well - better than 'well actually ...

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...lubs-1-3752934
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

Anybody know?
    Was always going to be a slow burner this one IMO given where our club has been over the past seven years and launching it when in the Championship etc Think if it was doing really well they would be publicising it .If we had reached Cup Final and got ( get ) promotion think there would be a kind of relaunch of this .But at the present time we have probably got on board those that were really up for it and they now need to find a way to entice others who in principle were for it but have yet to committ to putting the money up .

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

So it sounds like funds raised from the initial activity is already around double the figure being bandied about based on hearsay? If the HSL contribution schemes continue to be honoured it can only go upwards.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

Somebody at Hibs obviously decided to respond to this thread then

Anyway, sounds a bit more encouraging, and I love the dig at hearts, where Ann Budge is the current major shareholder.

....funnily enough, it doesn't mention the second largest Shareholder, Ms Goncalves

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Assuming that's about 50k a month then the fans will control the club in about 40 years - what's wrong with that?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    Assuming that's about 50k a month then the fans will control the club in about 40 years - what's wrong with that?
    Months surely?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    Apart from the arithmetic? ;-)

Joking aside, IMO the control aspect is probably less important than the financial one. 50k per month, if that's what it is, is pretty good going. It won't last at that pace, of course, but it's a good bump to the kitty.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Has he ever got anything right on this subject?

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Apart from the arithmetic? ;-)

Joking aside, IMO the control aspect is probably less important than the financial one. 50k per month, if that's what it is, is pretty good going. It won't last at that pace, of course, but it's a good bump to the kitty.
    Indeed, I have to agree with you on both points.