hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1967 at ER against Dundee which we won 2 - 1 with goals from Stanton and Stevenson. Remember being thrilled with the atmosphere and occasion, and being very impressed with Thomson Allan our goalie.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuillsy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2745858

Hibs v St Mirren January 87. I'd just turned 9 and we were in the old main stand as guests of Hibs.
    Christmas eve 86 and my Mum went to get myself and my brothers christmas presents only to find the lock up where they were hidden had been broken into and everything had been stolen.
    The story made the newspapers and our pictures were in the Evening News and Daily Record.
    Me and my brother were wearing Hibs strips in the picture. A player read the story and pointed it out the Chairman Kenny Waugh.
    We were invited to ER for a full guided tour, met all the players and they also tried to replace as many of the missing presents as possible.
    My parents were devastated that Christmas eve but the generosity of Hibs in the following week more than made up for it in my eyes.
    We keep hearing the phrase Hibs class but that truly was!!!
    That's a terrific story. Hibs class indeed.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Breakthrough
    My first ever Hibs game was 15th march 1975.... my dad took me to see the Hibs...we won 5-1 best day out ever.

Off the top o ma wee heid, I know it was 26thSept 1976 against St Johnstone, and I know we scored 9, but I'm no sure if they got 2 or 4.
    I do know I thought it would be like that every week...aw well!

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    Sept 68

3-2 v Falkirk. Cormack 2 Stein 1.

I even have the programme!
    i was at that game we were 2-1 down with a minute to go and scored twice in the last minute ( mind no extra time added on in these days)

Hibs v either Clyde or Thirds in 1948 with my grandad then 1953 against Motherwell at New Year.We scored 7 with Lawrie getting 3.This was the first time my mother let me go because of the size of the crowds.

Despite growing up a Hibs fan, my first game wasn't until after I'd left uni which would make it autumn 1990. Think it was against Aberdeen as I had a friend who followed them.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Skol cup final 1991. Glory fan me ha.
    Cougars!!!

First game was in Oct 1962 - Hibs v Dundee at ER - 2-2 draw.

I didn't realise it at the time (I was only 4 after all) but the great Gordon Smith was with Dundee at that time. What I've never found out is was he playing that day. Might explain why my dad took me that day. My dad saw the FF in their heyday and often waxed lyrical about Smith and Reilly in particular.

Anybody know how I could find out if the great man played that day? I've tried searching the fitbastats.com website but the historic records for Dundee FC are not as comprehensive as those for Hibs.

Any ideas where I could look further for the answer guys?

First Team Regular weedgiehibbie's Avatar
    At home to Partick Thistle in a 2-0 win in the Scottish Cup 3rd round January 92

Oh and couldn't believe it when the sportscene highlight popped up on youtube a while back - big thanks to this HFC1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjK...1656B41C1EB9EC

26th of December 1987. 0-0 vs St Mirren. Iain Fergusons bleached hair, and the sway of the east terrace as viewed from the shed (or whatever it was called) are all I can remember. Mesmerised from day 1.

1972 against Ayr loads of goals and a cup getting paraded, I thought that happened every week!

March 2012 lost 0-2 at home to Dundee Utd. Fenlon had just come in and O'Connor and Griffiths started just after the reports of a fight in EM during the week. Fell in love with ER that day

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs v Motherwell 31st January 2009, game finished 1-1. Deeko scored for us, can't really remember the game however but I fell in love with the club and although we are ****, Im glad to be a Hibee

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

I didn't realise it at the time (I was only 4 after all) but the great Gordon Smith was with Dundee at that time. What I've never found out is was he playing that day. Might explain why my dad took me that day. My dad saw the FF in their heyday and often waxed lyrical about Smith and Reilly in particular.

Anybody know how I could find out if the great man played that day? I've tried searching the fitbastats.com website but the historic records for Dundee FC are not as comprehensive as those for Hibs.

The Cuban missile crisis. It could easily have been your only game!

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Gordon Smith played in that game

13-10-1962 Dundee ET.jpg

December 1940 My uncle an ex Hibs goalkeeper took me along
    V Rangers Jock Cuthbertson scored the winning goal
    I was 8 years old and don't remeber much about it other than Jimmy Kerr gave me an old jersey as a keepsake !!

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    I was 8 years old and don't remeber much about it other than Jimmy Kerr gave me an old jersey as a keepsake !!
    Respect is due, sir. That's impressive!

'S' Form
    I'm going to say 74, and I know I should know better. It was Jimmy O'Rourke's first game back at Easter Road. We should have won, but he scored (I think) in a 1-0 St. Johnstone win. Biggest memories, other than the awe of seeing the turf for the first time, was wondering why there was no commentary (lol), the smell of smoke and pies and booze all mixed together, and feeling the whole of the North Stand shake as everyone stamped their feet and shouted "Hibees". But i was in love for life, and the score certainly set the tone for the last 40 years :) ....

Testimonial Due
    In the old cow shed, aged 10 for Hibs 4 Chelsea 1 – August 5th 1986.
    Willie Irvine hat-trick and Kano getting the 4th, Joe McLaughlin got the Chelsea consolation and ended up with us a few years later.
    Durie played and had not long been sold to Chelsea. Think I remember David Speedie getting some abuse.

Four days later we beat Rangers 2-1 when Souness was sent off on his debut but I wasn't allowed to go to that one…..

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Respect is due, sir. That's impressive!
    Thank you for your kind remarks
    I played a little pro football and actually got to play " down the slope" at ER against what was that day " The Famous Four" - Johnston was injured .
    Has been the roller coaster of all roller coaster rides even more so than doing ones thing at Blackpool

P.S . Hoped this was to be the " Cup" year - not to be sadly !!
    At 83 am running out of time

Centenary Match against Derby County which I have just found out was on 4 August 1975 so thats close to 40 years ago now (gulp).
    Derby were English Champions so a top side in their day.
    All I can remember was it was a very sunny midweek game, stood right down the front of the huge East terracing right on the half way line with my dad a few steps further up.
    Oh and the score, 1-0 to Derby. Didn't seem to matter to many though on that glorious evening.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    pre-season friendly against Newcastle. 1967?

I would have been 9 years old.

stood at the very top of the old main terracing and was amazed at the size of the place and the number of people.

game finished 0-0 I think, but I was hooked!
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

1978 East Of Scotland Shield Final vs Hertz at Easter Road.

The jams were in the first division and we won 1-0. I recall a guy walking up and down the Terrace selling Chewits sweeties and chocolate. Oh and the crowd was mixed as there were fans on the huge bowl terrace wearing Hearts colours too. A Hearts player was sent off for an atrocious foul and some Jambo behind us shouted "Come on the Ten men" and then Hibs scored and that was pretty much it.

Oh and the carry outs on the Terrace, there were beer cans everywhere.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Hibernian 4 Motherwell 2 (I think, may have been 4-1).

I was 5 so either at the end of the 94/95 season or the first half of the 96/97 season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not 100% sure but I think it was vs Livi in 2005. We either won 3-0 or lost 3-0. I can honestly barely remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Not 100% sure but I think it was vs Livi in 2005. We either won 3-0 or lost 3-0. I can honestly barely remember.
    We won 3-0 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

Hibs v Dunfermline 1961

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Versus Celtic in February 74. Lost 2-4 but as a 5 year old I was absolutely head over heels in love with those beautiful green jerseys. So much classier than those hooped things that always looked to me like they had been washed too often