hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was hardly cheating. He spread his body to block the shot and the ball hit his hand, he didn't try to get away with a sneaky punch pretending it was his head like Maradona or anything like that. The ref chose not to give it despite having another 2 officials on the line and one behind each goal. Yes it should have been a pen and he should have been sent off for the technicality of "deliberate" hand ball but it was hardly cheating.
    I agree. I think the 'offence' was seen and a wrong decision made. Whether it was corruption or incompetence, the officials should be punished, not the player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

world cup

thierry henry against ireland when he scooped the ball across goal for the winner? folk just said they couldnt blame him for doing it, and nothing happened, nothing was even spoken about happening to him. and france got to the world cup.unless he had his hands bye his side theres allways a chance a point blank header from two yards could hit an arm. i think he was happy it hit him and kept a goal out and even happier that it was missed bye the officials. think it would be pretty harsh to ban him from final tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    How would they have been 2-0 down. Griffith's has a habit of missing pens in semis
    if he hadn't brought his hand up it was clearly going in, otherwise if the ref saw it then it would have possibly been 2-0 but with ICT down to ten men as well, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I agree. I think the 'offence' was seen and a wrong decision made. Whether it was corruption or incompetence, the officials should be punished, not the player.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    How far back are we allowed to go for this kind of thing. I'm sure we all have memories of games involving Celtic and rangers where they should have had players sent off or decisions that were wrongly given. Totally ludicrous decision and is setting a massive precedent. Why don't we do away with refs altogether and just have someone in a studio passing information on decisions over a headset to someone on the park.
    Farce and only designed to appease the professional victims that are celtic. Collins saying that they owed it to the fans to question the decision is a joke as well. Who do they think they are????

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    The authorities in the Scottish game are a joke.

All they have done is give Celtic a bit of revenge because they were unhappy. They are so integrated with the big two they can't even see it any more.

i cant believe some people are agreeing with this. absolute ****ing disgrace brought to once agai by our absolute ****ing joke of a fotballing body

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    If the officials had seen it he would have got a red card and missed the final anyway.

We are used to violent offences missed by officials being treated retrospectively but don't see anything wrong with extending this to other issues of cheating that would incur bans. Handballs stopping goal scoring oppurtunites and diving to win penalties the obvious ones.

It is always harsh when someone misses a final but he was cheating.
    That's fine Spike, by all means change the policy .... but you don't bring in a policy like that after the fact and especially two minutes after a complaint by a club who are sore after losing a semi final, as far as I know no player anywhere in the world has been given a retrospective ban for a handball, deliberate or otherwise and that means Meekings didn't have the knowledge available to him that this could be the case when he took the chance. Its akin to parliament voting to bring back hanging and executing everybody already serving a sentence for murder.

If the SFA are accusing Meekings of cheating, then in effect so did ICT .. why don't they just go the whole hog and order a replay. Like I said, a bunch of cowards .... this has sod all to do with fair play and everything to do with appeasing Celtic. I hope Meekings takes them all the way to court.

IT'S TIME TO BRING VIDEO REPLAYS INTO FOOTBALL.Video guy up in the stand watching replays and helping with decisions like in rugby. Too much at stake and refs seem to be getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    It's ridiculous, as Yogi said we can all go get old videos now and say well what about this decision etc!

The ref missed it, it happens. Accept it!
    Especially the old video that Yogi watched Dutch wonder boy Edwin De Graaf on before signing him.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    ..for handball against Celtic. This would rule him out of the final. He has rejected it. I think this is absolutely crazy! Has it ever been done before for handball???

Well done Celtic, you could've just cost a player a cup final appearance

If ref had done his job properly he would have been ruled out anyway after receiving a deserved red card

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnes Gordon View Post
    If ref had done his job properly he would have been ruled out anyway after receiving a deserved red card
    Yes a lot of people who went mad about it being missed are now going mental about what woukd really be the same outcome. Minus Celtic probably going through of course.

This is a farce, if any other team other than one of the OF had brought this up if would have been thrown out. The SFA are trying to placate Celtic for the Refs crap decision, how can a player accept a ban for something that would have cost him no more than a yellow card ! it's the officials who should be accepting a ban instead of the player.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    That's fine Spike, by all means change the policy .... but you don't bring in a policy like that after the fact and especially two minutes after a complaint by a club who are sore after losing a semi final, as far as I know no player anywhere in the world has been given a retrospective ban for a handball, deliberate or otherwise and that means Meekings didn't have the knowledge available to him that this could be the case when he took the chance. Its akin to parliament voting to bring back hanging and executing everybody already serving a sentence for murder.

If the SFA are accusing Meekings of cheating, then in effect so did ICT .. why don't they just go the whole hog and order a replay. Like I said, a bunch of cowards .... this has sod all to do with fair play and everything to do with appeasing Celtic. I hope Meekings takes them all the way to court.
    To be honest I don't know the complete remit of the compliance officer. It would sure as hell set a precedent.

Meekings is contesting the ban. The only reason I can think of is that he is going to claim that the handling was accidental and that the decision not to award a penalty was correct.

I'd like to see the football law changed so that the if it's not certain whether a handball which blocks a shot is deliberate the referee could award a penalty without having to send the defender off. When the ball bounces up and hits an attacker's hand a free kick is always given even if it's obviously accidental so it would bring equality of treatment to forwards and defenders.

if celtic had gone threw to the final we wouldnt even be talking about it! nobody would,
    thats the most galling thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Meekings is contesting the ban. The only reason I can think of is that he is going to claim that the handling was accidental and that the decision not to award a penalty was correct.

I'd like to see the football law changed so that the if it's not certain whether a handball which blocks a shot is deliberate the referee could award a penalty without having to send the defender off. When the ball bounces up and hits an attacker's hand a free kick is always given even if it's obviously accidental so it would bring equality of treatment to forwards and defenders.
    not always given, sometimes not always

Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    not always given, sometimes not always
    Can we agree on usually?

Can we agree on usually?
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes Gordon View Post
    If the ref had done his job properly The Rangers 2nd goal at ER the other week would not have stood ..... any action? .... no.

If the ref had done his job properly on Saturday two Hibs attacks wouldn't have broken down.

If the ref screws up and misses an obvious decision like he did on Sunday the ref should be punished, not the player. If the SFA want to use video evidence to punish players for a hand ball then fine ....... but the players should be made aware of the policy before they take the field, not two days after the game. It is utterly against the definition of natural justice to make up a rule or expand the application of an existing rule or policy and then apply it retrospectively.

Meekings emotional distress must be off the scale at this ..... if he misses the final I hope his lawyers wipe the floor with the SFA.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

All they have done is give Celtic a bit of revenge because they were unhappy. They are so integrated with the big two they can't even see it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Devils advocate in me says good - not because Celtic are being utterly petulant, but because I think their actions (Celtic) will backfire and video technology will now be demanded by referees and football authorities - for far too long football has been in the dark ages and video technology needs to be brought in for decisions like this.

The Leigh Griffiths free kick ? The Suso 'penalty' ? The GMS 'penalty' at Tannadice ?......dare I go back to 1979 v Rangers in the final.....

It's sad it takes a 'toys oot the pram' approach but it could galvanise everyone else to demand fairness for everyone - and protect referees who after this undoubtedly will feel under extra pressure and scrutiny.
    I saw John Collins (Celtic assistant manager) being interviewed on TV earlier tonight, and he said he felt it was way past time for video technology to be introduced. Celtic are only asking for fairness too.

The number of Celtic haters on this forum are more paranoid than the Celtic supporters they hate so much. I've no time for them TBH, but if that had happened to Hibs would anyone who posts regularly on this forum think it was fair and castigate our CEO if she went public and asked for clarification?

PS: I don't think the ICT player should miss the final. There would be no fairness or sense in that either.

PPS: I've heard a wee whisper that Steve McLean (the referee) is or was a season ticket holder at Ibrox. Could this possibly be true? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    It's ridiculous, as Yogi said we can all go get old videos now and say well what about this decision etc!

The ref missed it, it happens. Accept it!
    What a complete load of Horlicks. Refs miss handballs all the time. I've reffed a few amateur games and they have a hard enough jobs believe me. Are we now to look at every incident or those involving the bigot sisters.im actually gobsmacked at this and it says everything that is rotten about the game in Scotland.

Sorry to go on about this, but he has a right to question why he will be the first player in Scottish football ever to be banned after video evidence has been used to review a hand ball incident. Players who commit a serious foul or dive to win a penalty are fully aware that they could be punished later .... players handling the ball are not.

Apart from that, the referee clearly saw the handball and chose not to penalise the player ..... so what are we saying? That if the ref sees an incident and 'chooses' not to take action that the player should be punished later?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If the ref had done his job properly The Rangers 2nd goal at ER the other week would not have stood ..... any action? .... no.

If the ref had done his job properly on Saturday two Hibs attacks wouldn't have broken down.

If the ref screws up and misses an obvious decision like he did on Sunday the ref should be punished, not the player. If the SFA want to use video evidence to punish players for a hand ball then fine ....... but the players should be made aware of the policy before they take the field, not two days after the game. It is utterly against the definition of natural justice to make up a rule or expand the application of an existing rule or policy and then apply it retrospectively.

Meekings emotional distress must be off the scale at this ..... if he misses the final I hope his lawyers wipe the floor with the SFA.
    Apparently Stevie McLean is employed at hampden and has some sort of job share arrangement with Craig Thomson, thus, can't see much happening to him!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Compliance officer remit a wide one.....

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish....cfm?page=2565

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    What a complete load of Horlicks. Refs miss handballs all the time. I've reffed a few amateur games and they have a hard enough jobs believe me. Are we now to look at every incident or those involving the bigot sisters.im actually gobsmacked at this and it says everything that is rotten about the game in Scotland.
    That's what he's saying dude.

I've just watched it. It wasn't like he did a Gordon Banksesque save. As a few have said, point blank range and the hand goes up, always. It's a protective reaction and instinctive. He may I may not have mean't it, who knows. What is bizarre is that there might be some kind of ban for the guy. The ref and his assistants are at least as guilty for their quite incredible oversight!

The evidence for technology is overwhelming. The Aquestion for me is, where do you draw a line?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Massive cock up by the officials on the day which changed the course of the game, one game ban doesn't even come near, the game should be replayed for certain.

And just to make it fair so should the other semi final

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Massive cock up by the officials on the day which changed the course of the game, one game ban doesn't even come near, the game should be replayed for certain.

And just to make it fair so should the other semi final
    And the FA cup semi as well, I presume

So does it mean that when EVERY club writes in then the CO will offer players who do this sort of thing and it's missed by the Ref a ban??

Precedence has now been set.

And BTW how childish are Smellic being.