hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenlon

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the evidence for that?
    I wasn't Fenlon's biggest fan but I also believe he would have kept us up although I'm sure we'd have still wanted him gone in the Summer

Fenlon in 74 League games for Hibs averaged 1.15 points per game in his two years at Hibs, in 2013-14 we were lying 7th when Fenlon left, we were averaging 1.36 points per game at that point, the rest of the season our average points per game dropped to 0.74 points per game - thats a hugendrop of 0.62 points per game

if Fenlon stayed for the rest of the Season and we kept up his average Points Per Game for 2013-14 then we would have finished with 17 more points than the 35 we ended up with, if we reverted to his career average with us then we would have finished with 46 points for the Season - 11 points ahead of what we did finish with

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oranje39 Wii Code: 0437 4985 6923 2377
    I didn't think he should have went when he did. Would have kept him till the end of the season. I think he would have kept us up.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    I still love pat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje39 View Post
    I didn't think he should have went when he did. Would have kept him till the end of the season. I think he would have kept us up.
    He would have definitely kept us up but I don't think going down was in our thinking at all, I think the majority of Hibs fans felt the club were underachieving at the time, the ambition from the fans and the board was to have a manager that could push us towards Europe not one to keep us in the Division, we had a manager that could keep us in the Division, we wanted more than that, unfortunately we went down the wrong path

I was one of the few to defend him here and still think getting rid of him was a huge mistake especially in the middle of the season though it was never clear if he was pushed out or had come to some kind of agreement to move in November before agm and/or when a suitable replacement became available ( Butcher appointment seemed to be sealed very quickly ) . The money we paid in compensation to PF and ICT plus Butcher`s wages must have had a huge impact on our finances with disastrous consequences . Only doubt with PF was not having an established assistant or management team with him which left him with a lot to do for example in very short close season in 2013 . Terrible memories of 2012 final and Malmo but also great cup ones of beating Hearts , Aberdeen twice and win at Killie . Every reverse we had with PF was followed by a recovery . Lets hope it`s the same with AS after today .

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    My memory really is going I could have sworn we were bottom 6 after the split when he was here.
    I'm talking about an average. We briefly dipped into bottom six bottom but we spent far more time in second, third place etc.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Should have went with Fyfe & Lindsay's first choice.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I've got a lot of time for Pat but I don't think he was capable of taking the club where it should be. Ultimately Butcher's appointment was a calamity but in the long run I'd rather have Stubbs at the helm than Pat.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Who was?

Pat seems a good man to me. Most of the supporters realised this and although I understand why he walked it wasn't a happy day for Hibs. Undoubtedly he'd have kept us up last season even though the club was not being run as it should have been during his tenure.

I wish him every success and certainly hope to celebrate at Hampden with him one of these years.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadGrandpa View Post
    I still love pat!!

You're at it!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Silver, was it Michael O'Neill?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    He would have definitely kept us up but I don't think going down was in our thinking at all, I think the majority of Hibs fans felt the club were underachieving at the time, the ambition from the fans and the board was to have a manager that could push us towards Europe not one to keep us in the Division, we had a manager that could keep us in the Division, we wanted more than that, unfortunately we went down the wrong path
    Although at the time most folk (including me) thought it was the right path (Butcher). Hindsight is a wondrous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I've got a lot of time for Pat but I don't think he was capable of taking the club where it should be. Ultimately Butcher's appointment was a calamity but in the long run I'd rather have Stubbs at the helm than Pat.
    Not sure how you can make that statement when it is very clear that he was not being backed up in the way that AS is now.....

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Although at the time most folk (including me) thought it was the right path (Butcher). Hindsight is a wondrous thing.
    Not sure where this "most" stuff comes from . I never wanted Butcher anywhere near Hibs and don`t know anyone who did . Voting of a few hundred people here or on other websites does not represent thousands of Hibernian fans in the world .

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Who was?

Pat seems a good man to me. Most of the supporters realised this and although I understand why he walked it wasn't a happy day for Hibs. Undoubtedly he'd have kept us up last season even though the club was not being run as it should have been during his tenure.

I wish him every success and certainly hope to celebrate at Hampden with him one of these years.
    Michael O'Neill.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Silver, was it Michael O'Neill?
    Yeah Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Yeah, I was never a big fan of Butcher to be honest, Inverness is a small place, he was a huge name in terms of British Football, he had the run of the place and the keys to the City, he was the lone Voice up there, moving to a big club in a Huge City with major Rivals was always going to be tricky although I still fancied him to improve us, I wasn't sure if we'd get the type of football that would have us flocking back in our droves, it was a disaster but just because we got that move wrong doesn't mean we weren't right to bin Fenlon although maybe not until the end of the Season.

Its a tough call though, if you're only in November but decide you want to change the manager in the Summer you're essentially writing off the majority of the Season which you'd still to play

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Not sure how you can make that statement when it is very clear that he was not being backed up in the way that AS is now.....
    I think Pat lacked in a number of areas including tactics, instilling the right mentality and style of play and Stubbs is better equipped to lead us forward in my opinion. I alao like Stubbs' key focus on youth as the future too and how they are to be trained most effectively which is an area a coach at the club has told me all managers prior to Stubbs he has worked under weren't nearly as interested in. Particularly in players beneath the U20 level.