hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenlon

Promising Youngster dunedinhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hibernianfcggtth

Fenlon

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...-hibs-5538926?
    I know he was a failure and set the team up to play slow boring football but I always liked him as a person. He seems like he really cared for the club but just didn't have what it took to turn things around. But im bloody glad hes not in the dugout today! Come on the hibees 2-0.

2. Log in to remove the advert

PF is a good man and done his best, job was just that bit big for him, pity it turned out to be a lot more than that for butcher.....

I wish Pat all the best as I'm sure most of us do.

Onto today...c'mon the Cabbage!

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I liked him as a person. Good to see the effect this magnificent club has on people. We should never underestimate how special Hibernian is

I don't think anybody disliked him but that style of football was horrible to watch.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    If he had stayed at Hibs for 3 or 4 more games we wouldn't have been relegated. The points we would have picked up would have made the difference.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anybody disliked him but that style of football was horrible to watch.
    A good man and his style of football was not the best. However, fairs fair, we would not be in 1st division if he had remained manager.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I liked him as well. I liked the fact that he always seemed to be giving it everything during his time at the club.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I liked him as well. I liked the fact that he always seemed to be giving it everything during his time at the club.
    He definitely cared that is for sure. Decent guy, wish him the best.

Always Gave his best for the club and really wanted it to work out for him. Wasn't to be unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Nice article that. The one thing that could always be said about Pat was that he was an absolute gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    A good man and his style of football was not the best. However, fairs fair, we would not be in 1st division if he had remained manager.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
    Just because Butcher was a disaster does not make Pat the right man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Just because Butcher was a disaster does not make Pat the right man for the job.
    I don't think anyone is saying he was the 'right man'. However had he seen out the season we would likely still be in the Premier League. I'll admit there is an element of hypocrisy on my part there as I said it was time for him to go several times. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar

pat

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    A true gent. Hibs were too big for him.

Best wishes Pat.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i'l always remember PF for his at the grunts

Coaching Staff
    If you look at league position after each game under fenlon once we got that first relegation threatened season out the way we spent most of our time between 4th and 5th. Add in two cup finals. From where we were when he joined a failure he wasn't.

We may not have go to where we expected quickly enough but I think we are seeing now that it takes time. It could take us years to reach the level where he had us.

He would've kept us up last season.

I don't regard Pat Fenlon as a failure personally. Taking over from Calderwood seen him start from a very weak position imho. He then due to financial restraints had to rely on more than a few loan signings who often went from good form to poor more often than not. I have a lot of respect for Pat as he felt a change in manager would bring a freshness to the club, sadly the next incumbent was Butcher. Sometimes we talk as fans about the quality of player a new manager inherits. On that basis Fenlon improved the squad he inherited from Calderwood and had Pat taken over in a different time who knows how his team would have performed. A gentleman who's passion, integrity and honesty could never be questioned.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    If you look at league position after each game under fenlon once we got that first relegation threatened season out the way we spent most of our time between 4th and 5th. Add in two cup finals. From where we were when he joined a failure he wasn't.

We may not have go to where we expected quickly enough but I think we are seeing now that it takes time. It could take us years to reach the level where he had us.
    I agreed with you then Andy and I agree with you now. The football was dire to watch though, despite that PF showed more promise as a long term solution that most managers we've had the past decade. With Hibs budget any quick success will always be a flash in the pan.

Left by mutual consent!
    I liked him and still like him as he seems a genuinely decent guy who tried his best at Hibs.

Should've been emptied after the Hearts final though

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    I liked him and still like him as he seems a genuinely decent guy who tried his best at Hibs.

Met him a couple of times, decent guy and I never doubted his respect for the club, did his best at the time.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowHibee View Post
    He would've kept us up last season.
    What's the evidence for that?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I totally agree.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Most of us agreed it was time for Pat to go, most of us agreed Butcher was a great appointment. We were correct on the first, spectacularly wrong on the second. It happens. Problem is that for Petrie it happened too many times.

None of Petrie's appointments -bar Calderwood- had disaster written all over them. But after appointing a guy who obviously didn't want to be anywhere near there, he should never have been allowed to spin the managerial roulette wheel again.

Sorry if this thread has been hijacked but it's become impossible, in a Hibs context, to discuss a manager without reference to the person who appointed him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    Will always have time for paddy; always seemed like a decent guy who really cared about the club just I pitty it never worked out.

But I agree that we would never have gotten relegated had he stayed, see out the season then bring in Alan :)

I'd have emptied him after Malmo. Sounds a bit pompous and dramatic, but he tarnished our European legacy.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Most of us agreed it was time for Pat to go, most of us agreed Butcher was a great appointment. We were correct on the first, spectacularly wrong on the second. It happens. Problem is that for Petrie it happened too many times.

None of Petrie's appointments -bar Calderwood- had disaster written all over them. But after appointing a guy who obviously didn't want to be anywhere near there, he should never have been allowed to spin the managerial roulette wheel again.

Sorry if this thread has been hijacked but it's become impossible, in a Hibs context, to discuss a manager without reference to the person who appointed him.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I'm not a fan of Fenlon as a manager by any means, however, I thought that was a decent interview and it's nice to see that he wishes the club well and that he would want to be there to support it in a final. As many on here seem to be saying, he seems to be a decent guy.

I feel you are probably quite sincere about the things you claim in your post ... and I guess from down here in the Championship even working our way back to "Fenlon's level" could be seen as some sort of progress -

My memory really is going I could have sworn we were bottom 6 after the split when he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedinhibs View Post
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...-hibs-5538926?
    I know he was a failure and set the team up to play slow boring football but I always liked him as a person. He seems like he really cared for the club but just didn't have what it took to turn things around. But im bloody glad hes not in the dugout today! Come on the hibees 2-0.
    I'd happily have a guy with his 100% record at winning Scottish Cup semi-finals in the dug-out today.

Not to manage the team though, more as a lucky mascot.

I thought he was horribly unlucky, inherited a shambles, made it a bit better by applying sticking plasters everywhere (which was all he would do) before being totally undermined during what was probably Petrie's worst ever transfer window. I mean, going into the Malmo game with the hopelessly inadequate squad etc etc….

FFS

Left by mutual consent!
    Absolute gentleman and wish him all the best.