hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar

Will I need planning permission?

I live in the ground floor of a block of 6. I am looking to replace the large living room window with a patio door to be able to use the garden more.

The door would be the same size as the window just removing the bricks underneath, I wouldnt be extending it past the current lintel.

I have noticed that 3 other properties in the street have done the same thing. Would I need planning permission to do this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I live in the ground floor of a block of 6. I am looking to replace the large living room window with a patio door to be able to use the garden more.

The door would be the same size as the window just removing the bricks underneath, I wouldnt be extending it past the current lintel.

I have noticed that 3 other properties in the street have done the same thing. Would I need planning permission to do this?

Chap the doors and ask if they applied/required planning permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

It's very unlikely that you'll need planning permission for something so small, but the rules are different in each area depending on a variety of factors, so it's best to check with your local council.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Is it your own garden or a communal one? If communal I think it might fall under planning so your neighbours get a chance to object, if private then you may only require a building warrant. The fact you're creating a new access point to the building makes me think planning but on the other hand you're only altering an existing opening in the building. Quick call to building control or the planning dept should give you an answer.
    Last edited by Mr White; 06-04-2015 at 08:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Off the top of my head, I would think there's a small chance you may need planning permission.
    I shouldn't think a building warrant is required because of the same opening width. (Assuming you don't require a deck or steps down to outside ground level)

I would advise you to call both the Planning & Building Control departments for advice or, if you are inclined, go and see them in person. Take a couple of photos of your window and your neighbour's patio door. (It will be easier to explain what you're proposing).
    If no submissions are required, I would ask them for written confirmation (email or a letter) just to cover your butt.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Thanks for your advice folks.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Off the top of my head, I would think there's a small chance you may need planning permission.
    I shouldn't think a building warrant is required because of the same opening width. (Assuming you don't require a deck or steps down to outside ground level)

I would advise you to call both the Planning & Building Control departments for advice or, if you are inclined, go and see them in person. Take a couple of photos of your window and your neighbour's patio door. (It will be easier to explain what you're proposing).
    If no submissions are required, I would ask them for written confirmation (email or a letter) just to cover your butt.
    That last paragraph is a really good shout, we had a same, but different issue a couple of years ago..... The deeds said all the front gardens were to remain unfenced, a few brats thought this meant our gardens were public property and played footy, generally hung out etc.... Some of my neebs stuck up a fence, then I followed suit, I'd asked the council if it was ok and they'd replied all ok as long as under a certain height (3ft?).... Anyways, one neighbour decided to complain (a total minority) and the letters some of us produced shut them up.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    That last paragraph is a really good shout, we had a same, but different issue a couple of years ago..... The deeds said all the front gardens were to remain unfenced, a few brats thought this meant our gardens were public property and played footy, generally hung out etc.... Some of my neebs stuck up a fence, then I followed suit, I'd asked the council if it was ok and they'd replied all ok as long as under a certain height (3ft?).... Anyways, one neighbour decided to complain (a total minority) and the letters some of us produced shut them up.

What's in the deeds is a different issue from council regulations. Your neighbour would probably win a civil action regardless of what the council say.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 07-04-2015 at 06:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    If in Edinburgh, I'd suggest checking the planning portal on Edinburgh.gov.UK,,you can search for past planning or building warrants with respect to your neighbours properties.
    Having just been through the process,but no expert,I'd suggest you might need a building warrant with additional reports such as a structural engineers.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    What's in the deeds is a different issue from council regulations. Your neighbour would probably win a civil action regardless of what the council say.
    :-/ Glad they went with the council view then! ...... Phew!