hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's the point though Iggy. Nobody has an issue with the Dan McMichael or plaque stuff, in fact many have praised St Pat's for their efforts, myself included. I do not think those of us, like myself, who have from time to time taken umbrage at some of St Pat's stuff have a "high opinion of themselves" ..... we do care about Hibs every bit as much as you do and that includes the image of the club and the image of the people who support it.
    I'm not a St Pats member by the way. And my reference to other posters and their inflated opinions of themselves was more of a wider forum reference. Those in the knowers and their faceless sources, the financial whizz kids who assured us of the Hearts demise, the tactical geniuses that don't go near a game and sit behind their laptops every Saturday..........as far as I can see the St Pats guys have taken a bit of initiative and did things that other branches would not even have considered in their decades of existence. And in doing so, they certainly engaged the club itself (the football club not the Hibs Club) in their activity. Maybe that's why Riley doesn't fancy them much. They're progressive. Maybe a bit too progressive for some of the Neanderthals that inhabit Sunnyside.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I'm not a St Pats member by the way. And my reference to other posters and their inflated opinions of themselves was more of a wider forum reference. Those in the knowers and their faceless sources, the financial whizz kids who assured us of the Hearts demise, the tactical geniuses that don't go near a game and sit behind their laptops every Saturday..........as far as I can see the St Pats guys have taken a bit of initiative and did things that other branches would not even have considered in their decades of existence. And in doing so, they certainly engaged the club itself (the football club not the Hibs Club) in their activity. Maybe that's why Riley doesn't fancy them much. They're progressive. Maybe a bit too progressive for some of the Neanderthals that inhabit Sunnyside.
    Yup.

This 'east coast Celtic' bowff is extremely tedious and as Hibbies we should rise above such nonsense. The plaque installation at St Patrick's church and the rededication of Dan McMichael's grave are not the actions of anyone Celtic-minded. And if there are people that are thinking that way then their agenda is both askew and highly suspect in my opinion. Highly suspect.
    My thoughts on the stuff St Pat's do has nothing to do with their work regarding preservation of the clubs history. Some of the other stuff I have seen from them has caused me concern .... I'm not going to go over old ground unless I have to, at this point I'm more keen to hear the HSA's side of things so that an informed judgement can be made as to why St Pat's and them have got the handbags out.

As for the highlighted bit .......... If you can explain what you mean by that without this thread being closed by the admins within half an hour of your post doing so I'll buy one of those daft jesters hats with the bells on from the Hibs shop and eat it.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 30-03-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post

...there was me thinking we were in a scrap for second place and promotion. **** all that malarkey, lets all pagger amongst ourselves aboot rules, clubrooms and **** best left to auld gadgies in bowling clubs
    I got a ticking off for using the bowling club analogy on here a few weeks ago, still not sure why though.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure you can call people progressive if the things they do are about the past. Hibs is a broad church and should be welcome to all. As a support I like the fact we are cross section of the community. As I have said earlier we need to see what St Pats are proposing in changing the rules of the Hibs club. We can't allow this debate to focused around whether people like Mike Reilly or not.

[/B]
    My thoughts on the stuff St Pat's do has nothing to do with their work regarding preservation of the clubs history. Some of the other stuff I have seen from you has caused me concern .... I'm not going to go over old ground unless I have to, at this point I'm more keen to hear the HSA's side of things so that an informed judgement can be made as to why you two have got the handbags out.

As for the highlighted bit .......... If you can explain what you mean by that without this thread being closed by the admins within half an hour of your post doing so I'll buy one of those daft jesters hats with the bells on from the Hibs shop and eat it.
    Seriously? Again, I'm not a St Pats member, so the 'you two' bit is probably wasted on me. I admire what they are doing and have links back to the parish as far back as the birth of my grandmother. My folks were married there, I was baptised and schooled there and feel the roots that the Branch are promoting very keenly.

You don't think that people might have an agenda? You speak of 'the HSA' as if St Pats were somehow not part of that very Association.
    St Pats branch appear only to have done good things in their short existence. A few clearly don't like, or appreciate this. And I'm not talking about what one or two regular St Pats contributors post on here, that's not the issue. There are a great deal of St Pats people who don't come near here.
    Now. Away and eat that hat!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Not sure you can call people progressive if the things they do are about the past. Hibs is a broad church and should be welcome to all. As a support I like the fact we are cross section of the community. As I have said earlier we need to see what St Pats are proposing in changing the rules of the Hibs club. We can't allow this debate to focused around whether people like Mike Reilly or not.
    Are they isolating anyone?
    Their progressive approach is outlined in previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This thread could get messy.
    Family size bag of Butterkist could be needed!

First Team Breakthrough invisible man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    1 and 2 are rule changes 3 and 4 will be in any other business. The wording of 4 is slightly different to that which will be discussed at the AGM.

1.This meeting agrees that the principle function of the Association is not reflected in the
    current rules and agrees to delete Rule 2 of the current rules and replace it as follows: -
    The objective of the Association is to promote the interests of Hibernian FC and to act as the
    focal point of interaction between members of the Association and the football club.

2.This meeting is aware that there was an attempt to exclude a member from the 2014 AGM
    because he was and “out of town member”. To ensure that this discrimination cannot be
    repeated this meeting agrees that all members of the Association are entitled to attend and
    vote at General Meetings of the Association.

3.The meeting agrees that the current rule book has the rules of the social club placed before
    the rules of the Association and therefore implies that the club is the more important. This
    meeting believes that this undermines the value of the Association and the Trustees are
    therefore instructed to reverse this by placing the Association rules first in order of the rule
    book.

4.While we agree that the Hibernian Supporters Club is well run and complies fully with the
    current rules it is delivered by elected volunteers working hard on behalf of members at a
    cost of them having to carry the burden of an excessive workload in order to deliver the
    requirements of both the management of the social club and representing members
    interests as an association. This meeting is of the view that in light of the changing face of
    Hibernian FC it may now be more appropriate to remove some of this onerous workload and
    that the day to day management of the Hibernian Supporters Club is divested to a club
    steward appointed by the Trustees.
    In order that this may be achieved the Trustees are directed to consult with branches as to
    how governance and accountability of such a change may be delivered and to present an
    amended constitution and rule book to members by the end of this calendar year. This will
    allow branches to submit any suggested amendments to the proposal prior to the 2016 AGM
    and ensure that all arrangements are in place for implementation following that AGM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
    1 and 2 are rule changes 3 and 4 will be in any other business. The wording of 4 is slightly different to that which will be discussed at the AGM.

1.This meeting agrees that the principle function of the Association is not reflected in the
    current rules and agrees to delete Rule 2 of the current rules and replace it as follows: -
    The objective of the Association is to promote the interests of Hibernian FC and to act as the
    focal point of interaction between members of the Association and the football club.

2.This meeting is aware that there was an attempt to exclude a member from the 2014 AGM
    because he was and “out of town member”. To ensure that this discrimination cannot be
    repeated this meeting agrees that all members of the Association are entitled to attend and

3.The meeting agrees that the current rule book has the rules of the social club placed before
    the rules of the Association and therefore implies that the club is the more important. This
    meeting believes that this undermines the value of the Association and the Trustees are
    therefore instructed to reverse this by placing the Association rules first in order of the rule
    book.

4.While we agree that the Hibernian Supporters Club is well run and complies fully with the
    current rules it is delivered by elected volunteers working hard on behalf of members at a
    cost of them having to carry the burden of an excessive workload in order to deliver the
    interests as an association. This meeting is of the view that in light of the changing face of
    Hibernian FC it may now be more appropriate to remove some of this onerous workload and
    that the day to day management of the Hibernian Supporters Club is divested to a club
    In order that this may be achieved the Trustees are directed to consult with branches as to
    how governance and accountability of such a change may be delivered and to present an
    amended constitution and rule book to members by the end of this calendar year. This will
    allow branches to submit any suggested amendments to the proposal prior to the 2016 AGM
    and ensure that all arrangements are in place for implementation following that AGM.
    Thanks for that. For the first 3 look ok but I think 4 will struggle

Whats the point of the HSC? What is it actually for? I've never understood all the branches etc. and what they are actually for.

Seriously? Again, I'm not a St Pats member, so the 'you two' bit is probably wasted on me. I admire what they are doing and have links back to the parish as far back as the birth of my grandmother. My folks were married there, I was baptised and schooled there and feel the roots that the Branch are promoting very keenly.

You don't think that people might have an agenda? You speak of 'the HSA' as if St Pats were somehow not part of that very Association.
    St Pats branch appear only to have done good things in their short existence. A few clearly don't like, or appreciate this. And I'm not talking about what one or two regular St Pats contributors post on here, that's not the issue. There are a great deal of St Pats people who don't come near here.
    Now. Away and eat that hat!
    Firstly .... I amended the "you two" bit of my post after I had seen yours saying you weren't part of St Pat's, unfortunately you had already quoted it. I'm willing to agree I might have given what you said the wrong meaning, so apologies ....... I'm still no eating the hat though so there

If the possible agenda you speak of is purely driven by jealousy or a reluctance by certain parties at the HSA to move forward then I'm with St Pat's on this .... hell mend them. But if there is more to it I want to hear it, which is why once again I would ask the branch to tell folk what their proposals are regarding changes to rules or procedures and the HSA to say what the problem they appear to have with St Pats is.

As things stand at the moment all this is, is a rant at Mike Riley for acting like a bully or a tool. If the HSA, and especially St Pat's who after all appear to have made this pubic, aren't prepared to put some meat on the bones I cant see what purpose there ever was in posting this in the first place if people aren't going to be given the information they need to make their minds up as to who is in the right.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Whats the point of the HSC? What is it actually for? I've never understood all the branches etc. and what they are actually for.
    Once upon a time there used to be a bus to away games from most branches.
    I could show you old programmes from the 1950s with supporter club notes in them, some Branches exist to this day.
    Some of those branches funded these buses by selling pontoon tickets and other means.
    The club itself is a Social Club with a fairly big foothold in the community.
    All the various branches form this association to which each member pays a yearly sub.
    Kids Christmas parties.
    OAP collections and parties.
    Darts, dominoes, pool.
    Cheap beer.
    Big Function Hall for birthdays, barmitzvahs etc.

There will be a lot more. The Hibs Club is far from a bad thing and in 1990 was the one of the focal points of the saving of our football club. No question.

Firstly .... I amended the "you two" bit of my post after I had seen yours saying you weren't part of St Pat's, unfortunately you had already quoted it. I'm willing to agree I might have given what you said the wrong meaning, so apologies ....... I'm still no eating the hat though so there

If the possible agenda you speak of is purely driven by jealousy or a reluctance by certain parties at the HSA to move forward then I'm with St Pat's on this .... hell mend them. But if there is more to it I want to hear it, which is why once again I would ask the branch to tell folk what their proposals are regarding changes to rules or procedures and the HSA to say what the problem they appear to have with St Pats is.

As things stand at the moment all this is, is a rant at Mike Riley for acting like a bully or a tool. If the HSA, and especially St Pat's who after all appear to have made this pubic, aren't prepared to put some meat on the bones I cant see what purpose there ever was in posting this in the first place if people aren't going to be given the information they need to make their minds up as to who is in the right.
    Ok as the wording of your pre-edited post concerned me, as I'm not sure what I could have posted that would cause you concern. Understood now though.
    I think the Invisible Man has put some of the pieces together in his post a few back.

I'm not entirely sure that the OP is a St Pats member, so the going public bit on this Forum may not be the work of the Branch. And the goings on at AGM time have caused something of a stir on here before, around about the time especially that Mr Riley seized control.........
    It would be extraordinary if that control amounted to the expelling of a healthy branch of fans from the Association merely for requesting change.
    And some of the quotes from him on the thread are pretty explicit. He can always deny, challenge or retract. If not, then he is certainly sounding like the descriptive you offered.

Now seen the St Pats proposals ... if that's it what the hell is all the fuss about, they all seem reasonable to me.

Of course number 4 I would imagine could see Mike Riley shifted sideways to run the social club with someone else taking the position as the head of ( and therefor spokesperson for ) the HSA ..... I doubt Mr Riley would be a fan of that idea right enough.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I could show you old programmes from the 1950s with supporter club notes in them, some Branches exist to this day.
    Some of those branches funded these buses by selling pontoon tickets and other means.
    All the various branches form this association to which each member pays a yearly sub.
    Kids Christmas parties.
    Darts, dominoes, pool.
    Cheap beer.

There will be a lot more. The Hibs Club is far from a bad thing and in 1990 was the one of the focal points of the saving of our football club. No question.
    I remember there used to be a bit in the sport section of the EEN every Friday listing the departure times and pick up points of each of the branch buses. There'd be about 10 Hibs buses for a normal away game with more for bigger matches.

ps. I looked up the plural of "bus" - doesn't look right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I remember there used to be a bit in the sport section of the EEN every Friday listing the departure times and pick up points of each of the branch buses. There'd be about 10 Hibs buses for a normal away game with more for bigger matches.

Like Lothian Buses?

I loved that section in the News.
    I remember Albert Kidd Hibs Bus corresponding regularly at times of Yam strife!

Please see below

book.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    People's Popular Front of Judea says Back the Hibs and sack the pigs! Careful now!

Now seen the St Pats proposals ... if that's it what the hell is all the fuss about, they all seem reasonable to me.

Of course number 4 I would imagine could see Mike Riley shifted sideways to run the social club with someone else taking the position as the head of ( and therefor spokesperson for ) the HSA ..... I doubt Mr Riley would be a fan of that idea right enough.
    Please see below. The idea of appointing a Steward to run the social club side of things was to free up the Committee (who, it has to be said, work very hard at running the 'Hibs Club' i.e. the bar/functions) so they could concentrate on running the Hibernian Supporters Association, which they were elected to do

book.

I'm with the great Groucho and "would never be a member of any club that would have me as a member".Notwithstanding that I would like to stick my neb in.In all my years supporting Hibs nobody has ever asked me to join the Association nor has anyone ever said to me "I'm in the Hibs Supporters Association".As an outsider it seems a little confused (or I am).Who are the members of the Association?Is it the junior clubs or is it individuals?If the junior clubs does that mean they have to be mandated by their members to vote at an AGM?If individuals does that mean expelling St.Pat's would have no effect because St.Pat's is not a member -but its members are?If it's true that attempts are being made to pack the meeting then it's also time change took place.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

There was a group of guys used to go from Gorgie in a car. They had a notice every Friday with details of the "Gorgie Greens Supporters Club" - I wonder if any of them posts on here.

I have from time to time had issues with certain aspects of St Pat's stuff, where in my opinion the branches stated aim of celebrating and preserving Hibs Irish roots and history have spilled over into a scenario where it could be viewed as not so much preserving the clubs history as, intentionally or not, turning us into a sort of east coast Celtic.

I do not particularly want to have that discussion again, but in the context of the OP and the fact that there appears to be some long standing issues between St Pat's and some people within the HSA I was interested to see if there were folk in the HSA who shared my view and if this was part of the current problem. If its not then fine. but if it is then as I said it needs to be part of the discussion.

I would agree with other posters that even if there was an issue with St Pat's on this or any other aspects of their branch that any proposal to expel them from the HSA would seem a step too far ... above all else people should have a right to voice their opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

I've often though that some of the St Pat's members who post on here, have let's say, a very high opinion of themselves and seem intent on "educating" us lesser mortals on the history of our Club as if we weren't aware of it already.

With regard to this particular issue, then in the interests of impartiality, it would be interesting to here the other side of the argument (debate)
    I think it is fair to say that everytime a group of disparate people get together, there will differences of opinion, which is fair enough. Unfortunately, in the St. Pat's branch like probably every other, there are some who allow their personal views/agendas take over from the Branch philosophy - that those of all religions AND NO RELIGION are very welcome. Of those who were attempting to use St. Pat's as a vehicle for their own means, they have been asked to cease and desist and on behalf of the Committee, I can only apologise to anyone who has been offended by these views. GGTTH.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Please see below. The idea of appointing a Steward to run the social club side of things was to free up the Committee (who, it has to be said, work very hard at running the 'Hibs Club' i.e. the bar/functions) so they could concentrate on running the Hibernian Supporters Association, which they were elected to do
    So....is it still needed now we have supporter reps on the board? I get the bar, cheap drink, meeting point thing, charity. But is it still needed as a connection for Fans to the club?

So....is it still needed now we have supporter reps on the board? I get the bar, cheap drink, meeting point thing, charity. But is it still needed as a connection for Fans to the club?
    That is a very good question and one which I am not qualified to answer I think, in years gone by, the HSA purchased suits for the players to wear at cup finals, bits of equipment, etc. There was/is the Player of The Year awards and various other activities, but in the 50th Anniversary year of the HSA, it might well be time for a rethink... but that is not for me to say.

One thing is for sure though, we all have one thing in common: Hibernian Football Club and I dearly hope we can work together to get us back to our rightful place in Scottish football

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    There was a group of guys used to go from Gorgie in a car. They had a notice every Friday with details of the "Gorgie Greens Supporters Club" - I wonder if any of them posts on here.
    I met them upstairs in the Conan Doyle nearly 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    That is a very good question and one which I am not qualified to answer I think, in years gone by, the HSA purchased suits for the players to wear at cup finals, bits of equipment, etc. There was/is the Player of The Year awards and various other activities, but in the 50th Anniversary year of the HSA, it might well be time for a rethink... but that is not for me to say.

One thing is for sure though, we all have one thing in common: Hibernian Football Club and I dearly hope we can work together to get us back to our rightful place in Scottish football
    I think the one thing we don't need now is a "Spokesman for the fans" We have two on the board so Mike Riley really has no need to have any kind of Hibernian appointment.

Kids Christmas parties.
    Darts, dominoes, pool.
    Cheap beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I'm with the great Groucho and "would never be a member of any club that would have me as a member".Notwithstanding that I would like to stick my neb in.In all my years supporting Hibs nobody has ever asked me to join the Association nor has anyone ever said to me "I'm in the Hibs Supporters Association".As an outsider it seems a little confused (or I am).Who are the members of the Association?Is it the junior clubs or is it individuals?If the junior clubs does that mean they have to be mandated by their members to vote at an AGM?If individuals does that mean expelling St.Pat's would have no effect because St.Pat's is not a member -but its members are?If it's true that attempts are being made to pack the meeting then it's also time change took place.
    As above. IIRC, the various branches form the HSA and so by joining a branch, it means you are part of the Association

Riley out !

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    On behalf of the Stanton Branch - no toes stepped on whatsoever.

Also, still on behalf of the Branch, & in response to an earlier post, the Branch has no axe to grind whatsover with the St Pat's Branch.

Speaking personally, I have nothing but total admiration for the way they have went about their business since their formation with their social & charitable activities. They are a throwback to what Branches used to be about.
    ...You are right Boris,i am with Stanton branch and have never heard of us having an axe to grind,and i too think ST Pats are doing a grand job.