hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar

Dnipro Appeal - Sad News

This is the hardest update that I have ever had to put together.

Last month I was informed by Ira that she has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The outlook is not very good and the doctors have suggested that she may only have a few months left. This is especially difficult to take for us involved with Dnipro Kids as Ira has been a part of Dnipro Kids since our very first visit in 2005, where she acted as translator during the handing over of gifts to the children at the TB Sanatorium.

Since that day she has been an integral part of the charity, and the organiser for so many events and tasks in Dnipropetrovsk. She has been a tower of strength for us, and often had to stand up to the red-tape and bureaucracy to ensure nothing got in the way of organising trips and events for the kids.

It has been down to Ira that our sponsored kids have had so many enjoyable excursions and birthday trips over the years. Ira has been at the heart of the planning and organisation of the many trips and birthday events that have been organised, right down to the shopping required to ensure that each child received the exact birthday gift that they wanted.

In 2009 we brought Ira over to Scotland, where she spent a week touring the country and visiting sponsors. She even managed a visit to Easter Road stadium, where she received a cheque for the charity following a turnstile collection.

Fundraising For Ira

A number of supporters that have said they would like to donate directly to Ira's needs in her final weeks.
    In response to these requests I have set up a Fundraising Page on the Just Giving website.

Link To Ira's Fundraising Page Here

01 New shoes for babies.jpg 02 Katya Kabashova-8th of March.jpg 03 Ira and Nastya.jpg 04 JimIra-ER.jpg
    Last edited by StevieC; 25-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Very sad news Stevie - Please pass on our thanks for all Ira's hard work and good wishes from all at hibs.net

(I hope the images are fixed now as well...)

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    That's awful news.

@hibs.net private member
    Such sad news.

Never donated to this appeal apart from putting money in collection bucket Would be happy to make donation for this situation as someone who has put in so much towards caring for the children deserves support

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Not news that you like to hear. Very very sad..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowbraeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not news that you like to hear. Very very sad..
    Extremely sad to hear about Ira, she seems a remarkable lady.
    Life can be so unfair.

Terrible news. I enjoy reading about all the hard work that goes on and Ira always seems to be at the heart of everything.

Very sad to hear this x

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Very sad news. An inspiring lady.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Terrible news, thoughts are with her and her family.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Sad news. Awful disease.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Not good.

Life can be such a bitch at times and my thoughts are with, Ira and her family. A remarkable lady indeed. x

that is very sad to hear. life can be so unkind to those deserving more, not less.

@hibs.net private member
    Sad news. Sounds like a saint. Best wishes to all.

@hibs.net private member
    Sad news to hear.

Is there anyway we can help towards any treatments etc?

Either through private healthcare or even a trip over to Britain to get treatment.

I don't want to appear ignorant and I am sorry if I offend anyone but I am guessing we can offer better care?

Basically if we raised a wee bit money would it help? I am sure many would chip in...

Gutted to hear such sad news. Wonderful lady who I'm glad I met when she was over.

Please pass on our love to her.

Very sorry to hear this. 3 years ago last week myy uncle was looking forward to becoming a granddad (although he was always super fit and outdoorsy, never smoked, etc), but became unwell. He was told he was depressed and to go for walks (think he did the West highland way), but a month later he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He sadly passed away just a few days later. It's a truly horrible illness, really hope Ira has (at the very least) a lot more time than he did.

Awful news. Looks like she's done some amazing work over there, quite inspirational.

Get well soon Ira.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Sad news to hear.

Is there anyway we can help towards any treatments etc?

Either through private healthcare or even a trip over to Britain to get treatment.

I don't want to appear ignorant and I am sorry if I offend anyone but I am guessing we can offer better care?

Basically if we raised a wee bit money would it help? I am sure many would chip in...
    We did some research on pancreatic cancer when we heard the news, and from what I understand it is one of the worst types of cancer with little or no chance of medical treatment having any great effect. From what we can gather, once diagnosed the lifespan is rarely longer than 3-6 months.

My understanding is that the cancer is quite advanced, so Ira has decided not to put herself through surgery or chemotherapy treatments. Instead she has decided to use herbal remedies, and make significant changes to her diet, to try and ease things in the coming months.

The charity is providing extra funds for Ira to cover these costs and will also support her with any other needs. We have already organised the purchase of a new bed for her, to try and make things as comfortable as possible on the days that she struggles to get up.

We have a committee meeting this Sunday, and as a number of sponsors have already suggested setting up a fund specifically for Ira it is one of the things that we will be discussing.

Thanks again for all the kind words, I will be passing them all on to Ira.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Really sad news to hear, such a shame after all the help she's given to the charity and assisting with the children, that she ends up with cancer. Such a cruel world we live in. I can only hope that her final months are spent the way she loves and is comforted a lot by her friends and family.

Inspiring first and foremost the bond we and the club have created with Dnipro. I am genuinely saddened by this news, I really enjoy reading the updates and relationship that has been created with Dnipro. Best wishes at this tough time.

At Easter Road we play...

FFS! Puts things into perspective, best wishes Ira.

Desperately sad news for someone who has contributed so much to others. I hope she has peace and tranquillity and the help she needs over the next few weeks/months.

Can't say much more than already mentioned but hope Ira can find contentment from the great work she has done. One of the best Hibs stories there is and she has been a great part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    We did some research on pancreatic cancer when we heard the news, and from what I understand it is one of the worst types of cancer with little or no chance of medical treatment having any great effect. From what we can gather, once diagnosed the lifespan is rarely longer than 3-6 months.

My understanding is that the cancer is quite advanced, so Ira has decided not to put herself through surgery or chemotherapy treatments. Instead she has decided to use herbal remedies, and make significant changes to her diet, to try and ease things in the coming months.

The charity is providing extra funds for Ira to cover these costs and will also support her with any other needs. We have already organised the purchase of a new bed for her, to try and make things as comfortable as possible on the days that she struggles to get up.

We have a committee meeting this Sunday, and as a number of sponsors have already suggested setting up a fund specifically for Ira it is one of the things that we will be discussing.

Thanks again for all the kind words, I will be passing them all on to Ira.
    Thoughts to Ira, she sounds like an incredible woman. Unfortunately as you say although all cancers are horendous, pancreatic is one of the hardest to defeat. I'd never heard of it until my best mate was diagnosed and lost his life shortly after at the age of 38. My thoughts and best wishes are with her & all the kids she helps.

So sorry to hear this. The charity has been going for a long time now and so much of it's success must be down to the astonishing commitment of this remarkable woman.

Absolutely horrible news, we really do live in a very cruel world. Would be more than happy to donate to Ira's cause.

Thoughts and prayers to obviously a special lady

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    I don't know what to say. Life is just so unfair at times. Thinking of Ira and her family.