hibs.net Messageboard

Blog Entries

What are you reading?

Thought I'd see what fellow .netters are currently reading. Having exhausted my Hitchens collection I've started Alex Salmond's "The Dream Shall Never Die".

Anyone got a good book on the go?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    About to start iain banks last novel the quarry. Recently read all of John Niven's books. I wasn't too keen on kill your friends but the amateurs and the second coming are 2 of the best books I've read in years and highly recommend them. Christopher brookmyre's latest one featuring jack parlabane - dead girl walking was good too.

The Arisen Series by Glynn James.

if you like zombie stuff these are great no mucking about just all out zombie slaying!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I'm Terrible for starting but not finishing books unless they really grip me. We've moved into rental, I've been working with a new commute and were on the look for a new home...

So currently I have on the go:

Stantons dream team (disrupted by commuting and Christmas)
    We need to talk about Kevin (started to placate my wife)
    The curious case of the dog in the night-time
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    I've just bought a few Chistopher Brookmyre books - the more recent ones as I read the original 10 a few years back.

Before I start them though I'm going to read Book 8 of Stuart MacBride's, Logam McRae series. They're really good - a bit like Rebus but a bit more graphic.

Also got the 3 Lugton books and teh first of JonnyBoys Hibs series to read.

I made a list about 4 years ago of 50 books I wanted to read before I was 30, twat behaviour I know.

Anyway I have 12 to go and just over 13 months to complete. Currently reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and next up is The Satanic Verses.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough Derek Dougan's Avatar
    Just finished A Dance With Dragons: After The Feast, the last (so far) in the Game of Throne series. Taken me just over 6 months to read all 7 books, but well worth it.

If you enjoy the TV series, have a go at the books, they go into a huge amount of detail. A hell of a lot of characters! A few less after this book though

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Lee Briers (Rugby league genius) autobiography. Bit of a lad like!

Seven Deadly Sins: My pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh. Great read...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I made a list about 4 years ago of 50 books I wanted to read before I was 30, twat behaviour I know.

Anyway I have 12 to go and just over 13 months to complete. Currently reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and next up is The Satanic Verses.
    Rushdie is a great writer, I must get a copy of it.

Almost finished 'The Korean War' by Max Hastings.

Hastings is a well known right wing journalist and commentator but he's objective and impartial throughout. Its a fascinating book into a war that often gets forgotten. There's little doubt that if Truman hadn't got rid of General McArthur in 1951 there would have been nuclear weapons used on North Korea and mainland China, and there would have been a third world war.

Moving on to something a bit more light on holiday next week, Love in the Time of Cholera.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by <3Morrissey View Post
    Thought I'd see what fellow .netters are currently reading. Having exhausted my Hitchens collection I've started Alex Salmond's "The Dream Shall Never Die".

Anyone got a good book on the go?
    I haven't read any of Christopher Hitchens books but I was looking at buying one earlier from Amazon. I was going to order God is not great, but what would you recommend as a good starting point.

United we stand here....

I am reading The Private Patient which was PD James' last murder mystery. It starts off in the usual way with various people in a close community, all of whom have bees in their bonnets about something either sexual or financial. Pretty soon there's a corpse and Commander Dalgliesh steps in to sort it out. Formulaic in a way but it's amazing how James, writing in ier late eighties, draws you in. You want to know what happens and that's the definition of a good thriller.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I haven't read any of Christopher Hitchens books but I was looking at buying one earlier from Amazon. I was going to order God is not great, but what would you recommend as a good starting point.
    'Arguably' is very good.

I'm a great fan of Haruki Murakami and an earlier book of his 1Q84 might be worth a try?

http://www.harukimurakami.com/book/1q84

Right now I'm reading "The Mason Dixon Line" by Thomas Pynchon, a novel I first started in 199+, but soon gave up on when a "talking dog" appeared, but I've decided to give it another go, and I'm enjoying it much more this time round ... the shock to my system from relegation perhaps?

Currently I an (re) reading the Tom Clancy books.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    'Arguably' is very good.
    Thanks. I've ordered that one.

United we stand here....

For enjoyment - An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris, good book but drags in places
    For education - Europe, a History by Norman Davies
    Looking forward to next James Lee Burke and Robert Kerr books, also been reading Logan McRae books and the Robert Furst books.

Peter May "Entry Island". I particularly enjoyed the "Enzo" series.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    For enjoyment - An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris, good book but drags in places
    For education - Europe, a History by Norman Davies
    Looking forward to next James Lee Burke and Robert Kerr books, also been reading Logan McRae books and the Robert Furst books.
    Is that Alan Furst perhaps? He's great on Nazi-occupied Europe.

I don't read much but I've always wanted to read "A short account of the destruction of the Indies" by Bartolome De Las Casas.

Now that I've got it I don't particularly want to start it. Difficult to explain but looking stuff like that in the eye is hard yet fascinating.

Blog Entries
    "The Missionary Position" is a great book to start with - God is Not Great is also excellent. I'd start with either of them.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    "The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. Easy reading at its best.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheered me up no end!

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    I've just read The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. David Mitchell has the most fantastic mind and imagination and his stories fairly fizz along. But as ever I was left slightly disappointed. Like in Cloud Atlas there are a number of seemingly unlinked threads to the story and he brings them together towards the end-not quite successfully.

I've also recently finished a series of 4 books by the author Wilhelm Moburg-The Emigrants, Unto a Good Land, The Settlers and The Last Letter Home. They were written about 60 years ago and are probably the best known books in his own country, Sweden. They are fictional and deal with emigration from Sweden to the USA in the 1850's. The book deals with why people felt compelled to leave, the hardship of the journey, the problems of arriving in a new land where they could not speak English, the process of acquiring land and settling and the growth of the family and the gradual loss of Swedish culture in the new generation. It is a cracking story and really thought provoking

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    If you like detective novels, try Ed James's DC Cullen series, all set in Edinburgh and the Lothians and all excellent. Think they're e-books only.

If like me anyone has received as a present, or is thinking about buying a book called January Window by some guy called Philip Kerr because it's football-related, don't touch it with a bargepole unless you're into getting your kicks from sitting there shaking your head and laughing at dreadful writing and ridiculous characters by an author who is totally up his own arse. Apparently the guy's written some decent stuff in the past as well. Worst book I've ever attempted to read.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I've ordered that one.
    A great collection of essays as is Love, Poverty and War.

Just bought (finally) copies of The Wolf of Wall Street and American Sniper. Plus borrowed the entire series of Preacher to read again.