hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Where we are at

Hybrid View

Where we are at

Good article in the record.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion...s-need-5386427

Sums up where we are. It's going to take a massive effort to convince fans to come back.

The 3 most important of which would be
    1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sums up where we are. It's going to take a massive effort to convince fans to come back.

1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup
    You think Petrie leaving is more important to potential returning fans than promotion or winning the Scottish Cup?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You think Petrie leaving is more important to potential returning fans than promotion or winning the Scottish Cup?!?
    Apologies, I should have said in no particular order.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Seems an odd time to write an article like that. HOH and Buyhibs are quiet/dead in the water so why mention them? I appreciate there's still a big petrie out sentiment amongst the support (it would be my preference) but FFS leave it till the summer now surely. Nothing should distract from the aims of promotion and beating falkirk in the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Seems an odd time to write an article like that. HOH and Buyhibs are quiet/dead in the water so why mention them? I appreciate there's still a big petrie out sentiment amongst the support (it would be my preference) but FFS leave it till the summer now surely. Nothing should distract from the aims of promotion and beating falkirk in the semi.

Because we need to get fans back to Easter Road? We can't leave it till the summer because the season tickets are on sale now.
    It should not distract from our stated aim of promotion or winning the semi.

The thrust of the article is that we should support the club financially if we can. I don't see much wrong with what he has blogged.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The thrust of the article is that we should support the club financially if we can. I don't see much wrong with what he has blogged.
    He could have done that with more emphasis on the positive changes in the last 8 months rather than dredging up the Buyhibs and petrie out/ ownership turmoil stuff imo.

He could have done that with more emphasis on the positive changes in the last 8 months rather than dredging up the Buyhibs and petrie out/ ownership turmoil stuff imo.
    Granted. But he is right, we do need to back the club however we can.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Granted. But he is right, we do need to back the club however we can.
    That's true and to be fair to him I did possibly pre - judge this article a bit on the back of not thinking much of his previous ones

And initially only reading the first half of it

No discussion about Hibs predicament can fail to mention Petrie. The only way that it will stop is when he leaves. Sad but true. It's a shame because I think Leeann is doing a good job.

Lol. It's the Record ffs. When do they ever write a positive story about us?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Lol. It's the Record ffs. When do they ever write a positive story about us?
    It's in the record but it's a blog by hibs fan jamie Montgomery.

It's in the record but it's a blog by hibs fan jamie Montgomery.
    Ah sorry. I never read the article so apologies for that. I'll take a look later.

Call me cynical but the fans who say they're staying away because of Rod are just making excuses. When he does eventually leave for a blazer at Hampden these same fans will find some other excuse not to go - it's too cold, the pies are lukewarm, the team is rubbish, canny be bothered etc etc etc.

You either go and watch a team you claim to support or you don't. That's it.

Coaching Staff
    Oh dear God.

@hibs.net private member

1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup
    Not just aimed at you but at anybody who is still holding out for Petrie to leave - do you think that we would be in a better position right now if Petrie had left last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Not just aimed at you but at anybody who is still holding out for Petrie to leave - do you think that we would be in a better position right now if Petrie had left last year?
    I have no idea but it would have taken away one of the excuses people are using for not coming to the games. The less excuses people have the better.

@hibs.net private member
    I have no idea but it would have taken away one of the excuses people are using for not coming to the games. The less excuses people have the better.
    This is it, nobody knows. It is entirely possible that we could be in a worse position without him. Maybe he's done some of this famous "unseen" work!

If people are staying away purely on the fact Petries still there then they are not only holding us back financially but they are missing something a wee bit special - the rebuilding of our Club. Cutting off their noses to spite their face IMO

At this moment in time, the people who are staying away because of Petrie are doing more damage to the club than the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    At this moment in time, the people who are staying away because of Petrie are doing more damage to the club than the man himself.
    Your getting your cause and effect mixed up there. If people are staying away because of Petrie then it is him who is still damaging the club not the people who stay away.

Your getting your cause and effect mixed up there. If people are staying away because of Petrie then it is him who is still damaging the club not the people who stay away.
    Depends whether you look forward or look back.

Depends whether you look forward or look back.
    When a business starts to blame its customers for staying away then it really is in trouble.
    If Hibs want to entice these customers back then we need to address their concerns.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I reckon the number of people genuinely staying away because of Petrie wouldn't even reach 3 figures. I've yet to meet 1.

United we stand here....

He should have left about four or five years ago, although I'm not someone who has stayed away due to his continued presence.

An interesting piece and quite a bit of truth in it. At one point we did have too many people all wanting the same thing, but at odds about how to achieve it. I think that HSL and the share issue in general has put that to bed.

Yes Petrie is still there and if the appointment of Leeann Dempster's appointment had turned out to be a damp squib I think the cry for him to go would have grown and been as loud as ever. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it cant be denied that she appears to be if not a panacea for the malady of Petrie then at least capable of clearing up some of the nastier symptoms. As things stand I think most of us are prepared to put Petrie on the back burner, at least for the time being. Though I for one wish he had gone when he should have and still do.

There is no doubt that though 600 HSL members is a decent start its going to be a long haul to get near 51% fan ownership. Someone said that there could be a process where independent share owners could proxy their shares to HSL for voting purposes and I for one can see some merit in that.

I do think his hints at armageddon if things don't work out are a wee bit OTT but there is no doubt that the club could suffer medium term problems if things don't work out this season. As he alludes to the take up of season tickets and semi final tickets will be a decent indicator of where we are at. A recent statement from the club that like for like ST sales are the best they have been for the last 5 years at this time is encouraging. If we can hit 15 to 20 thousand semi tickets that will be a good sign too.

All I can do is echo his sentiment about support for the club. Yes we have been Tom Kite for years, but most clubs have periods like that. Yes we hate Petrie, but he is not Hibernian football club, we are. At the end of the day do we love our club or not? If you call yourself a Hibby and genuinely want to see the club survive and even thrive get yourself out there, buy a season ticket and buy shares if you can afford it.

GGTTH

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If you call yourself a Hibby and genuinely want to see the club survive and even thrive get yourself out there, buy a season ticket and buy shares if you can afford it.

GGTTH
    Garbage.

The price of season tickets is such that if you'll miss a few games throughout the season, it doesn't represent value regardless of whether you can afford it. Having priority for buying tickets etc is pretty meaningless as, with the exception of a derby at Tynecastle when we think we might get a result, everyone who wants a ticket for a Hibs game can generally get one, including cup finals.

As for buying shares, I think the appetite for fan ownership has been grossly overstated by a vocal minority, amplified by Hearts' situation. Personally, I've got no interest in fan ownership, and would only get involved in dire circumstances, such as happended across the city. The slow uptake of HSL suggests I'm far from alone in this view.

Neither of these opinions give me any less of a right to "call myself a Hibby", nor do they suggest I don't want Hibs to survive - what a nonsense suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Garbage.

The price of season tickets is such that if you'll miss a few games throughout the season, it doesn't represent value regardless of whether you can afford it. Having priority for buying tickets etc is pretty meaningless as, with the exception of a derby at Tynecastle when we think we might get a result, everyone who wants a ticket for a Hibs game can generally get one, including cup finals.

As for buying shares, I think the appetite for fan ownership has been grossly overstated by a vocal minority, amplified by Hearts' situation. Personally, I've got no interest in fan ownership, and would only get involved in dire circumstances, such as happended across the city. The slow uptake of HSL suggests I'm far from alone in this view.

Neither of these opinions give me any less of a right to "call myself a Hibby", nor do they suggest I don't want Hibs to survive - what a nonsense suggestion.
    Well .... The club don't see it as "garbage" SOL .... Their projected budget for every season depends on ST sales and though walk ups are obviously of equal value in financial terms, getting the money up front is better for the club. As for the points system .. you are probably right ... I cant remember expressing an opinion either way.

Shares........ Well in my opinion I cant see why someone wouldn't want to own a small piece of their club if they can afford it, irrespective of their view on fan ownership .... especially if the money will benefit the club as well.

I didn't say not buying a season ticket or shares meant folk didn't have the right to call themselves a Hibby. I said if they called themselves a Hibby they should get out there and buy a ST or shares, if they could afford it .... not the same thing mate, perhaps you should get a sticking plaster over that raw nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Garbage.

The point about season ticket purchase is that it gives the buyer a reasonable discount but more importantly allows the football side to make decisions about players because they know how much income has come in.That is why I encourage everyone who can afford it to do it.

The good thing about the share issue is that the money doesn't go to existing shareholders but is treated as income.I'm sure you're right that there isn't the interest that all the arguments would have made you think there was.I think that many people just wanted a change of ownership-preferably a sugar daddy.That doesn't stop it being a good idea.As far as Hearts are concerned it'll be interesting to see how that scheme goes once the money has to go to Mrs.Budge to buy her out rather than to provide working capital as it does just now.

@hibs.net private member iainm1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nae Nookie
    "If you call yourself a Hibby and genuinely want to see the club survive and even thrive get yourself out there, buy a season ticket and buy shares if you can afford it."

GGTTH
    Great post, my sentiments exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mikey; 25-03-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes