hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where we are at

Where we are at

Good article in the record.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion...s-need-5386427

Sums up where we are. It's going to take a massive effort to convince fans to come back.

The 3 most important of which would be
    1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sums up where we are. It's going to take a massive effort to convince fans to come back.

1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup
    You think Petrie leaving is more important to potential returning fans than promotion or winning the Scottish Cup?!?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Seems an odd time to write an article like that. HOH and Buyhibs are quiet/dead in the water so why mention them? I appreciate there's still a big petrie out sentiment amongst the support (it would be my preference) but FFS leave it till the summer now surely. Nothing should distract from the aims of promotion and beating falkirk in the semi.

Coaching Staff
    Oh dear God.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You think Petrie leaving is more important to potential returning fans than promotion or winning the Scottish Cup?!?
    Apologies, I should have said in no particular order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Seems an odd time to write an article like that. HOH and Buyhibs are quiet/dead in the water so why mention them? I appreciate there's still a big petrie out sentiment amongst the support (it would be my preference) but FFS leave it till the summer now surely. Nothing should distract from the aims of promotion and beating falkirk in the semi.

Because we need to get fans back to Easter Road? We can't leave it till the summer because the season tickets are on sale now.
    It should not distract from our stated aim of promotion or winning the semi.

The thrust of the article is that we should support the club financially if we can. I don't see much wrong with what he has blogged.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The thrust of the article is that we should support the club financially if we can. I don't see much wrong with what he has blogged.
    He could have done that with more emphasis on the positive changes in the last 8 months rather than dredging up the Buyhibs and petrie out/ ownership turmoil stuff imo.

He could have done that with more emphasis on the positive changes in the last 8 months rather than dredging up the Buyhibs and petrie out/ ownership turmoil stuff imo.
    Granted. But he is right, we do need to back the club however we can.

@hibs.net private member

1. Petrie leaving
    2. promotion
    3. Win the Scottish cup
    Not just aimed at you but at anybody who is still holding out for Petrie to leave - do you think that we would be in a better position right now if Petrie had left last year?

No discussion about Hibs predicament can fail to mention Petrie. The only way that it will stop is when he leaves. Sad but true. It's a shame because I think Leeann is doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Not just aimed at you but at anybody who is still holding out for Petrie to leave - do you think that we would be in a better position right now if Petrie had left last year?
    I have no idea but it would have taken away one of the excuses people are using for not coming to the games. The less excuses people have the better.

Granted. But he is right, we do need to back the club however we can.
    That's true and to be fair to him I did possibly pre - judge this article a bit on the back of not thinking much of his previous ones

And initially only reading the first half of it

An interesting piece and quite a bit of truth in it. At one point we did have too many people all wanting the same thing, but at odds about how to achieve it. I think that HSL and the share issue in general has put that to bed.

Yes Petrie is still there and if the appointment of Leeann Dempster's appointment had turned out to be a damp squib I think the cry for him to go would have grown and been as loud as ever. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it cant be denied that she appears to be if not a panacea for the malady of Petrie then at least capable of clearing up some of the nastier symptoms. As things stand I think most of us are prepared to put Petrie on the back burner, at least for the time being. Though I for one wish he had gone when he should have and still do.

There is no doubt that though 600 HSL members is a decent start its going to be a long haul to get near 51% fan ownership. Someone said that there could be a process where independent share owners could proxy their shares to HSL for voting purposes and I for one can see some merit in that.

I do think his hints at armageddon if things don't work out are a wee bit OTT but there is no doubt that the club could suffer medium term problems if things don't work out this season. As he alludes to the take up of season tickets and semi final tickets will be a decent indicator of where we are at. A recent statement from the club that like for like ST sales are the best they have been for the last 5 years at this time is encouraging. If we can hit 15 to 20 thousand semi tickets that will be a good sign too.

All I can do is echo his sentiment about support for the club. Yes we have been Tom Kite for years, but most clubs have periods like that. Yes we hate Petrie, but he is not Hibernian football club, we are. At the end of the day do we love our club or not? If you call yourself a Hibby and genuinely want to see the club survive and even thrive get yourself out there, buy a season ticket and buy shares if you can afford it.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member iainm1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nae Nookie
    "If you call yourself a Hibby and genuinely want to see the club survive and even thrive get yourself out there, buy a season ticket and buy shares if you can afford it."

GGTTH
    Great post, my sentiments exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mikey; 25-03-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    At this moment in time, the people who are staying away because of Petrie are doing more damage to the club than the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    At this moment in time, the people who are staying away because of Petrie are doing more damage to the club than the man himself.
    Your getting your cause and effect mixed up there. If people are staying away because of Petrie then it is him who is still damaging the club not the people who stay away.

Your getting your cause and effect mixed up there. If people are staying away because of Petrie then it is him who is still damaging the club not the people who stay away.
    Depends whether you look forward or look back.

@hibs.net private member
    I have no idea but it would have taken away one of the excuses people are using for not coming to the games. The less excuses people have the better.
    This is it, nobody knows. It is entirely possible that we could be in a worse position without him. Maybe he's done some of this famous "unseen" work!

If people are staying away purely on the fact Petries still there then they are not only holding us back financially but they are missing something a wee bit special - the rebuilding of our Club. Cutting off their noses to spite their face IMO

Depends whether you look forward or look back.
    When a business starts to blame its customers for staying away then it really is in trouble.
    If Hibs want to entice these customers back then we need to address their concerns.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    When a business starts to blame its customers for staying away then it really is in trouble.
    If Hibs want to entice these customers back then we need to address their concerns.

Tbf, LD seems to be doing everything in her power to address our weaknesses.

The club are not blaming the fans though are they?
    They have gone a long way towards addressing our concerns. It is time for ALL Hibs fans to get behind the club.
    Last edited by marinello59; 25-03-2015 at 04:28 PM.

The club are not blaming the fans though are they?
    They have gone a long way towards addressing our concerns. It is to time for ALL Hibs fans to get behind the club.
    The club have gone a long way but have not done everything they could, which is a real shame as Leeann appears to be doing a great job.

I did not mean that the club had started blaming the fans, I just meant that the club should not follow the lead of some on here who do blame the fans.

You are talking about hibs like they are a supermarket with customers who have no emotional attachments and will shop elsewhere at the drop of a hat.

We go to help our team win at sport and the simple facts are that we will be better if we all pull together.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    You are talking about hibs like they are a supermarket with customers who have no emotional attachments and will shop elsewhere at the drop of a hat.

We go to help our team win at sport and the simple facts are that we will be better if we all pull together.
    Absolutely, I agree with that but right now we have supporters staying away and we need to get them back. We need to address their concerns.
    Normally we average about 2000 less supporters than Hearts per game, just now its about 6000. They are also chucking in about 1.5m a year on top. Unless we start to close this gap again then we will struggle to match them on the pitch.

Absolutely, I agree with that but right now we have supporters staying away and we need to get them back. We need to address their concerns.
    Normally we average about 2000 less supporters than Hearts per game, just now its about 6000. They are also chucking in about 1.5m a year on top. Unless we start to close this gap again then we will struggle to match them on the pitch.
    In two games against Rangers we got 14 and 15000 respectively. Hearts got 12,500 against Celtic in the cup, a competition when the gate money is split and therefore the truth is told about attendances. Hearts always inflate their home crowd figures for league games through using the MTI system, which means you have no idea how many people actually attend the game. If we were top of the league and they had just come out seven years of hell do you think it might be a bit different?

Coaching Staff
    Hibs are paying the price for three terrible managerial appointments and the climate of Scottish football in the last decade - Petrie has gone beyond his expiry date and did so when Calderwood was not allowed to go to Forest. Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher have effectively scared people away because the product was so poor, so negative and so industrial in footballing terms. We were a football graveyard for journeymen footballers.

After Mixu the club should have taken on someone who had experience with working with youth football - that is always going to be a successful route for a club our size to go down.

Around the time of Calderwood (and before), Aberdeen were investing heavily in both time and money in getting a 'four corner' scouting system and training set up established - Hibs, despite coming out of a very fruitful period where we had made millions, didn't consolidate on that system - Hearts at the time were paying unaffordable salaries to their youths, Celtic too.......Hibs stagnated at that level. In truth we never replaced both Parks (John and Donald).

Not saying 'told you so' but I recall a post I made seasons ago stating we should go all out to get Leeann Dempster as she had energy, verve and above all real positivity - the club was in a lull and was one which simply tolerated mediocrity. I'm glad we did, she's been absolutely superb.

Here we are, in a league we don't want to be in, but deserve to be in because of previous mismanagement - but in a few short months the club seems to be revitalised and we are heading in the right direction. I still think there will be twists and turns and some great results and some stinkers (this season). Our manager is still raw and niave but is certainly someone we all rate and respect and the fans seem to be fully behind him and the coaching team. He has recognised that the fans want excitement and want to see a brand of football that entertains. The off field stuff has been excellent and the season ticket campaign has to be commended for being a terrific piece of work.

I've a feeling Stephen Thompson may be picking up the phone to Rod in a few weeks and asking him how he dealt with all the flak - as Dundee United are like Hibs circa 2007......losing their talent for big bucks and now in a position where the results are faltering and the blame culture will kick in.

Being honest - I don't think we will get promotion this season. For me, Butcher and Fenlon left the club in tatters, unconsciously supported by Rod - he took his hands off the wheel and let them go with it. All three share the blame.

But even lack of promotion for me is not failure this season - because the blueprint is in place and fans will return. The product is better. The place is far more positive. I also think we will make the SC final - however again I think we will face Celtic and fall short.

If that's how it pans out, after the 'near death' last season post Hamilton - a quarter final v full strength Dundee Utd only settled on pens which we were a kick away from winning, a (possible) final in the Scottish Cup, top 4 in the league with play-offs, and really decent football throughout - that for me is strong progress from where we were.

I know that my post is a mix of positive and negative (in saying we will not get promotion), but for me this is realistic - and I'm really encouraged at the youth set up and what we have coming through - because they will get that chance

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    You need to smile a bit more......

They bought loads of seasons because they were about to go bust. They bought into the FOH idea because they were about to go bust.

If they had been as crap as us (and they have been in the past) their crowds would be well down.

As for the £1.5m they are raising? So is this working capital or to buy the club? My suspicion is that they will continue to use it to subsidise inflated salaries next season - as they always have (they are "big", dontcha know), and The Auld Budgie will continue to be called " hearts owner" until she pegs out.

They have done well, but let's never kid ourselves the playing field has been level.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I reckon the number of people genuinely staying away because of Petrie wouldn't even reach 3 figures. I've yet to meet 1.

United we stand here....