hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Official Site: HIBEES AGAINST BIGOTRY

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    If we are serious about kicking out bigotry then why did we allow hundreds of bigots into Easter Road on Sunday?
    Pounds over principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we are serious about kicking out bigotry then why did we allow hundreds of bigots into Easter Road on Sunday?
    Pounds over principles.
    Good work there by our club. Obviously your need to trash it is more important than giving them credit though. Sad stuff.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Pounds over principles.
    Let's not be too precious on this one - unfortunately we have a sprinkling of bigots amongst our own support.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Good work there by our club. Obviously your need to trash it is more important than giving them credit though. Sad stuff.
    Where did I trash what the club was trying to do, I asked what I deemed to be a pertinent and relevant question. Maybe you can answer why we allowed hundreds of bigots into ER ??

Where did I trash what the club was trying to do, I asked what I deemed to be a pertinent and relevant question. Maybe you can answer why we allowed hundreds of bigots into ER ??
    You mean the Rangers fans?
    Your pounds over principles is hardly supportive is it?
    Last edited by marinello59; 25-03-2015 at 10:28 AM.

You mean the Rangers fans?
    Thats exactly who I mean, How many people outwith Hibs will read about our latest campaign ?

The evidence was there for all to hear last Sunday. If we were bold enough to say until the Rangers fans stop all their party songs they will not be allowed access to Easter Road. Imagine how big a news story that would be.

Because IMO Hibs wont ban them cause they would lose too much money hence my pound over principles quote.

Thats exactly who I mean, How many people outwith Hibs will read about our latest campaign ?

The evidence was there for all to hear last Sunday. If we were bold enough to say until the Rangers fans stop all their party songs they will not be allowed access to Easter Road. Imagine how big a news story that would be.

Because IMO Hibs wont ban them cause they would lose too much money hence my pound over principles quote.
    So you are saying all Rangers fans are by default bigots? Isn't that bigoted thinking?
    This is a story about education, surely the club deserves credit for that?

So you are saying all Rangers fans are by default bigots? Isn't that bigoted thinking?
    This is a story about education, surely the club deserves credit for that?
    I agree they deserve credit, but there is so much more Hibs and all the other clubs in Scotland can do about it, but they wont due to loss of revenue.

Im not saying all The Rangers fans are bigots but 99% of the bigots there on Sunday are Rangers fans.

I agree they deserve credit, but there is so much more Hibs and all the other clubs in Scotland can do about it, but they wont due to loss of revenue.

Im not saying all The Rangers fans are bigots but 99% of the bigots there on Sunday are Rangers fans.
    Do you think we should have been banned from grounds because of the Skacel song then. We might be able to argue otherwise but most people outside of Hibs would see it as Racist so by your reasoning we should all be banned for being racists. How about banning the Hearts fans for homophobic abuse? Why stop there, there are some pretty distasteful songs sung by fans of every club. Where would it stop?
    Education is the single most important tool in our armoury. Sectarian singing at ER by Hibs fans wasn't eradicated by banning supporters but by other Hibs fans making it known it was no longer acceptable.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS Bot View Post
    Another good move by the club, tough one but we have to start somewhere.

When I saw the headline I thought we were advertising tickets in advance for the play-offs against the rangers.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Pounds over principles.
    In an ideal world that would be the way to go, but its not an ideal world is it.

If we banned the current buns without banning celtic and the Yams too it would not look like standing up to bigotry, it would look like taking sides with one set of bigots over another. Hibs view on bigotry, racism and sectarianism is crystal clear and there is proof of this in the clubs written policies and the fact that in the past prayer facilities have been set aside for our Muslim players.

Its Hibs responsibility to make clear their disapproval of bigotry. Its the job of the police to enforce the law regarding bigoted behaviour, though its clear that so long as there is enough of you doing it there is no chance of the police stepping in for fear of losing control of the situation.

The solution to this problem, at least inside the stadiums lies in the hands of the SFA the SPFL and of course The Rangers football club, Celtic FC and to a lesser extent Heart of Midlothian FC. We have the odd idiot ourselves, but I cant remember the last time I heard a Hibs crowd sing a song which could in any way be described as sectarian. "Go home ya Huns" doesn't count IMO.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 25-03-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Do you think we should have been banned from grounds because of the Skacel song then. We might be able to argue otherwise but most people outside of Hibs would see it as Racist so by your reasoning we should all be banned for being racists. How about banning the Hearts fans for homophobic abuse? Why stop there, there are some pretty distasteful songs sung by fans of every club. Where would it stop?
    Education is the single most important tool in our armoury. Sectarian singing at ER by Hibs fans wasn't eradicated by banning supporters but by other Hibs fans making it known it was no longer acceptable.
    The only time the Skacel song rears its ugly head is against Hearts and if they as a club banned Hibs supporters from their ground because of it then that would be a decision we would have to respect. If such drastic action was taken the decent Hibs fans would ensure the Skacel song was stopped immediately.

After the Hysel disaster Uefa banned every English Club from European competitions. Because of such drastic action the English FA took immediate steps to make it easier to ban trouble makers from entering stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    In an ideal world that would be the way to go, but its not an ideal world is it.

If we banned the current buns without banning celtic and the Yams too it would not look like standing up to bigotry, it would look like taking sides with one set of bigots over another. Hibs view on bigotry, racism and sectarianism is crystal clear and there is proof of this in the clubs written policies and the fact that in the past prayer facilities have been set aside for our Muslim players.

Its Hibs responsibility to make clear their disapproval of bigotry. Its the job of the police to enforce the law regarding bigoted behaviour, though its clear that so long as there is enough of you doing it there is no chance of the police stepping in for fear of losing control of the situation.

The solution to this problem, at least inside the stadiums lies in the hands of the SFA the SPFL and of course The Rangers football club, Celtic FC and to a lesser extent Heart of Midlothian FC. We have the odd idiot ourselves, but I cant remember the last time I heard a Hibs crowd sing a song which could in any way be described as sectarian. "Go home ya Huns" doesn't count IMO.
    Absolutely

It really is a question of What can football clubs actually do to eradicate sectarian singing?

They can education as much as possible, but where is the action when the sectarian singing is taking place?

All football club's say that sectarian singing will not be tolerated.... well it seems like it is being tolerated, nothing as far as I know is being done to those that partake in such songs.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Kojock on this one. It's all very well clubs paying lip service with these campaigns. It amounts to nothing if they continue to allow fans of clubs who sing bigoted songs, to pay their way into the game.

This problem has gone on long enough, and there does not seem to be any progress in the fans of those clubs cleaning up their act. If Hibs and the rest are truly against it, it's time that they banned their fans.

No point in saying we despise bigotry and then cashing in on that bigotry as we did on Sunday. Stronger protest than a nice squeaky clean media campaign is needed. You can't be "a wee bit" anti bigotry.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    I'm with Kojock on this one. It's all very well clubs paying lip service with these campaigns. It amounts to nothing if they continue to allow fans of clubs who sing bigoted songs, to pay their way into the game.

This problem has gone on long enough, and there does not seem to be any progress in the fans of those clubs cleaning up their act. If Hibs and the rest are truly against it, it's time that they banned their fans.

No point in saying we despise bigotry and then cashing in on that bigotry as we did on Sunday. Stronger protest than a nice squeaky clean media campaign is needed. You can't be "a wee bit" anti bigotry.
    How many times have we heard the words, NOW its time for actions. The SFA will NEVER take the necessary steps to stop this, if they were not allowed to go to the games then the bile and hatred STOPS at football matches.

There will still be bigots, but there will not be airing their views at Easter Road. Now if every team did this, then Scottish football could rid itself of this disease very quickly.

Of course it would not get rid of it from society, but it would be a start.

We have to start somewhere, and this bollox about educating is just that. The knuckledraggers pass this on through the generations, if we are relying on education we will still be here in 500 years talking about this.

We have to start ourselves, and if football is genuine in ridding itself from this, then the clubs need to take the bull by the horns.

Do we have an obligation to give a club tickets for an away match?

And could the decision to brand all visiting Celtic and Rangers fans as bigots not in itself be painted as bigoted by a media who habitually ignore the sectarian problem?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

And could the decision to brand all visiting Celtic and Rangers fans as bigots not in itself be painted as bigoted by a media who habitually ignore the sectarian problem?
    In the cup yes, but I'm not sure for the league - remember the huns banning Celtc fans from a derby at Ibrox (JC free kick game).

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    The only way that these type of songs will be stopped would be by a points deduction by the SPFL.

First a warning , second time a provisional points deduction suspended , third repeat offence take points off the offending club.

Has Scottish Football got the balls to do this ? ...... Not in a month of Saturdays IMHO.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    The only way that these type of songs will be stopped would be by a points deduction by the SPFL.

First a warning , second time a provisional points deduction suspended , third repeat offence take points off the offending club.

Has Scottish Football got the balls to do this ? ...... Not in a month of Saturdays IMHO.
    Maybe to one of the lesser sides as a statement of intent and to look good to FIFA and EUFA, but can you see them admitting they have a problem with the uglies, then warning them about possible action then actually doing something? Not a chance, the celtc and the rangers tail wags the senile overweight dog that is the SPFL/SFA.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How many times have we heard the words, NOW its time for actions. The SFA will NEVER take the necessary steps to stop this, if they were not allowed to go to the games then the bile and hatred STOPS at football matches.

There will still be bigots, but there will not be airing their views at Easter Road. Now if every team did this, then Scottish football could rid itself of this disease very quickly.

Of course it would not get rid of it from society, but it would be a start.

We have to start somewhere, and this bollox about educating is just that. The knuckledraggers pass this on through the generations, if we are relying on education we will still be here in 500 years talking about this.

We have to start ourselves, and if football is genuine in ridding itself from this, then the clubs need to take the bull by the horns.
    Completely agree more this was pretty much gone from the game yet is now back as bad as ever. We got told the reason that the Football authorities couldn't deal with it was that the clubs themselves had agreed that the clubs could not be held responsible for the actions of their fans. To me that is the biggest cop out ever. No responsibility is irresponsibility.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

That would be too sensible and would kill it dead for good.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

What's to stop someone taking a mob round to hearts matches to sing the sash etc every week.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Only for cup games do you have to give visiting fans a % of tickets.

As for your second point I allude to my post where after the Hysel disaster ALL English clubs were banned from European competitions not just Liverpool who were involved that game.

Blog Entries
    Glad to see this on the official site. A guy in Section 43 behind me complained to the Police (who had video cameras) that Rangers fans were singing the Billy Boys, that immediately provokes a reaction but I'm glad we only booed them when they started their pish.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's another token gesture but right one by the club to ensure that they have measures in place with the offending behaviour at but the police and SFA are powerless to do anything as all the Scottish clubs bar three voted against 'strict liability' laws that punishes clubs for their fans behaviour. This vote was taken in 2013. Sanction include fines and points deductions. Both Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone have been fined under such Uefa laws in the past.

Backward thinking again from our clubs in knocking back the vote.

If Hibs are really serious about Bigotry, how about they make announcements at ER whenever The Rangers (or Hearts( singing their bigotted songs. They should specifically state in the announcement who it is they are asking to stop singing, e.g.

"This is a club announcement, we would kindly ask the Fans in the South Stand to abide by the rules on Bigotry and Racism and to stop singing offensive songs"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    If Hibs are really serious about Bigotry, how about they make announcements at ER whenever The Rangers (or Hearts( singing their bigotted songs. They should specifically state in the announcement who it is they are asking to stop singing, e.g.

"This is a club announcement, we would kindly ask the Fans in the South Stand to abide by the rules on Bigotry and Racism and to stop singing offensive songs"
    Nice idea but one that would probably backfire with the noise cranked up a notch.