hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2015

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Officially seething after that ridiculous incident in the Solheim Cup. I've changed allegiance - 'Mon the USA

Suzanne Petersen should hide her head in shame.
    Just saw that, i presumed by the players walking away that they had conceded the putt?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Just saw that, i presumed by the players walking away that they had conceded the putt?
    That's the assumption that 99% of us would make. It's a four ball match so BOTH European players should take a long hard look at themselves. Our old friend sporting integrity rears its head again.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    That's the assumption that 99% of us would make. It's a four ball match so BOTH European players should take a long hard look at themselves. Our old friend sporting integrity rears its head again.
    Don't think it's fair to blame Hull. She's 19 and playing with the leader of the team. Nigh on impossible for her to stand up to her. Even if the Europe captain had conceded the half Hull would still have had a putt on the last to take the point and the way she has been putting she would have been odds on to hole.

Petterson - no excuse, gone from hero to zero in my estimation. The European captain and her team did not have the guts to stand up to her so shame on them as well.

Officially seething after that ridiculous incident in the Solheim Cup. I've changed allegiance - 'Mon the USA

Suzanne Petersen should hide her head in shame.
    The Americans are not exactly free of unsporting behaviour in Solheim Cup........
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Inkster needs to remember 2000 when they made Annika Sorensten replay a shot that she had holed, as allegedly played it out of turn (although the balls where in the same distance)......Selective memory syndrome from Inkster

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    The Americans are not exactly free of unsporting behaviour in Solheim Cup........
    That may be so but in my book nothing can justify what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Don't think it's fair to blame Hull. She's 19 and playing with the leader of the team. Nigh on impossible for her to stand up to her. Even if the Europe captain had conceded the half Hull would still have had a putt on the last to take the point and the way she has been putting she would have been odds on to hole.

Petterson - no excuse, gone from hero to zero in my estimation. The European captain and her team did not have the guts to stand up to her so shame on them as well.
    I disagree. Hull should not have walked off the green when she did if the intention was not to concede her opponent the tap in putt. That action contributed to what followed. A 19 year old will know the etiquette of the game so she can't be excused.

I disagree. Hull should not have walked off the green when she did if the intention was not to concede her opponent the tap in putt. That action contributed to what followed. A 19 year old will know the etiquette of the game so she can't be excused.
    We'll just agree to disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    We'll just agree to disagree!
    But I do agree - she is quite fit.!

USA stage fantastic comeback to win 14.5 to 13.5. Justice !

Was intending to flick between that and the Aberdeen game but the latter was so enjoyable I just had to stick with it!

And i see the Hibbies are through to the Davis Cup final as well!

Not really.....Let's not forget the US ain't whiter than white

It took her a while, but better late than never.

http://www.lpga.com/news/2015-suzann...gy-solheim-cup

It took her a while, but better late than never.

http://www.lpga.com/news/2015-suzann...gy-solheim-cup
    Cant remember if the Americans apologised for their actions in 2000.

Well done to Pettersen, a heartfelt apology that took courage and bottle to write............

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Sick and tired of hitting buffer or missing by a shot with a couple of big numbers on the card on the card. Stupid bloody game.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Sick and tired of hitting buffer or missing by a shot with a couple of big numbers on the card on the card. Stupid bloody game.

Such is the nature of the stupid bloody game that we all love. I've had the season from hell and my handicap has shot up by 1.1. It's not my inability of course but entirely the fault of the hellish weather we had up until the end of July . Every Saturday was the same, strong winds, rain and sometimes a combination of both.

I've already written this season off and I've now set myself a target of trying to regain some element of fitness before the start of next season. Then just watch me go. Well maybe.

I've gone from 6.2 in 2013 to 8.2 (as off Saturday). I got to 6.2 from 10+ in a matter of months with practice and warming up - eg range, putting and stretching etc before play.

A lack of practise/prep before taking to the tee is the issue now. Must remember that I cannot just turn up and do it, and it ain't gonna happen!!

edit - 8.5 so now off 9
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 06-10-2015 at 02:15 PM.

I've got 4 maybe 5 medal rounds left. I'll finish lower than I started (started 8.7 currently 7.6) but I've hit the ball as well as I an remember since late July and not really capitalised. Same goal for me GB. Fitness work and weight loss starting end of season and come out the blocks flying next season. I don't play in the winter but have an outing to Leven late October and plan to hit the diving range once a week to keep it ticking over instead of taking about 6 weeks to get up to speed.

I've called an end to my competitive season.

The Greenkeepers are due to commence their annual task of hollowtining, scarifying and top dressing the greens which will render them virtually unplayable for 3-4 weeks. It's a necessary evil I guess but try telling that to some of the members!

Absolutely gutted, played the final of our seniors tournament today and was 3 up with 3 to play. Drew the match and have to do it all again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Absolutely gutted, played the final of our seniors tournament today and was 3 up with 3 to play. Drew the match and have to do it all again next week.
    No sudden death play off then?

I've called an end to my competitive season.

The Greenkeepers are due to commence their annual task of hollowtining, scarifying and top dressing the greens which will render them virtually unplayable for 3-4 weeks. It's a necessary evil I guess but try telling that to some of the members!
    Ours were done three weeks ago. Still awfy bumpy.

No sudden death play off then?
    No, we agreed to do it all again next week. To be honest I was glad, I'd collapsed and couldn't hit the ball straight at all.

We do a 9 hole srableford competition every wed from mid August till mid October to replace our midweek medal as daylight shortens of an evening. 19 Pts yesterday saw a .2 cut and auld lex back to playing off 7. All over the place but putted like God with 12 putts. Bogeyd the last two into the bargain. Strange game.

BBC have pulled out of televising the Open live in 2016. Sky takes over. Oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    BBC have pulled out of televising the Open live in 2016. Sky takes over. Oh dear.
    The Open should be one of these flagship sporting events which are broadcast on terrestrial TV in order to appeal and be available to the widest possible audience. Having said that, in recent years the Beeb haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their almost token coverage of golf tournaments. For example the coverage of the final day's play in this year's postponed last round of the Open was very poor.

I'm sure Sky will prove to be a very able deputy especially when the contract has restricted the number and length of the adverts which can be shown per hour. I feel genuinely sorry for the folk who can't afford Sky but maybe there will be a spin off benefit for pubs and Golf Clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    We do a 9 hole srableford competition every wed from mid August till mid October to replace our midweek medal as daylight shortens of an evening. 19 Pts yesterday saw a .2 cut and auld lex back to playing off 7. All over the place but putted like God with 12 putts. Bogeyd the last two into the bargain. Strange game.
    Well done.

I've yet to be convinced of the merits of 9 hole competitive golf although I can see why the legislative bodies like SGU are pushing for Clubs to make it ready available to its Members.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    The Open should be one of these flagship sporting events which are broadcast on terrestrial TV in order to appeal and be available to the widest possible audience. Having said that, in recent years the Beeb haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their almost token coverage of golf tournaments. For example the coverage of the final day's play in this year's postponed last round of the Open was very poor.

I'm sure Sky will prove to be a very able deputy especially when the contract has restricted the number and length of the adverts which can be shown per hour. I feel genuinely sorry for the folk who can't afford Sky but maybe there will be a spin off benefit for pubs and Golf Clubs.
    BBC's coverage has been shocking for a while don't think Sky can be any worse
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    I played at Kilspindie yesterday and noticed in their on course dress code that 'trainer type' golf shoes were not permitted. Is this not a bit outdated, given the popularity of expensive spikeless soft shoes and trainet type shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I played at Kilspindie yesterday and noticed in their on course dress code that 'trainer type' golf shoes were not permitted. Is this not a bit outdated, given the popularity of expensive spikeless soft shoes and trainet type shoes?
    I'd agree Jim. There's a fine line between trainers and the "street type" spikeless golf shoe.

Thankfully the number of Clubs enforcing strict dress codes both on and off the course are on the decline.