hibs.net Messageboard

Anyone work in I.T on here?

And if so happy to share what they now do and what path they took?

Currently working in "IT Support" (First/second line) and have been for 4 years now - and if truth be told I find it so *** boring. Scarily boring.

Is there anything within the ever growing IT industry thats a tad more exciting than unlocking accounts in AD and removing viruses from stupid barstewards laptops?

2. Log in to remove the advert

My current role is semi-technical - I'm a workforce information officer and mostly produce fairly static business intelligence products for middle managers in my organisation. I also do a bit of system admin and although that comes more in the form of data migration for new projects than user support these days, i have done my fair share of dealing with front-line support over the past 8 years.

How did I get there; i started doing a business admin apprenticeship after leaving high school, decided i wanted to get into 'IT' so i did a Computing HNC on day release. I'm now finishing the Honours year of my BSc and i'm in the process of trying to secure a graduate software developer position.

P.s. if you want a laugh and are familiar with reddit: r/programmerhumour and r/talesfromtechsupport can be hilarious at times....and with your experience I think you'll be able to relate!

As for the 'anything more exciting question' - of course, but that depends on what youre looking for. Wearable tech is getting pretty big and I'd imagine virtual and augmented reality will take off soon too, with hardware becomming more powerful and cheaper....the possibilities are quite endless. I apologise for the cliche!