hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    RE the Raeburn Bar, formerly the dean bar on dean st which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It got its windows tanned in the other night and it turns out the current owner or manager is Norval Barclay, good hibs man who recorded the Back Home To Leith track prior to the 2012 cup final.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...pree-1-3785525

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RE the Raeburn Bar, formerly the dean bar on dean st which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It got its windows tanned in the other night and it turns out the current owner or manager is Norval Barclay, good hibs man who recorded the Back Home To Leith track prior to the 2012 cup final.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...pree-1-3785525
    Has he also got the pub prydes in gorgie old robertsons

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Has he also got the pub prydes in gorgie old robertsons
    No idea tbh. I didn't know he had anything to do with the pub trade, I just remembered his name from that song.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    No idea tbh. I didn't know he had anything to do with the pub trade, I just remembered his name from that song.
    I didn't either - he was just singing when I left Edinburgh. He's a good guy and both he and his dad Bill are Hibs daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I didn't either - he was just singing when I left Edinburgh. He's a good guy and both he and his dad Bill are Hibs daft.
    Is that bill barclay that used to do the tannoy at easter road back in the 80's and 90's?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Is that bill barclay that used to do the tannoy at easter road back in the 80's and 90's?

Certainly is.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Certainly is.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    We certainly have some dives in bad areas, particularly in the past, but overall Edinburgh has nothing on pubs I've experienced in other places, namely Glasgow and Manchester. Without doubt the worst pub I've ever seen was called the Butcher's Arms in a poor part of Manchester. Went in there twice with an uncle who thought he'd give me an eye opening experience, and by God were my eyes opened. On both occasions the place went up in the air - fully up in the air - free for alls, like a western saloon: bottles, pool cues, chairs across the room, women fighting men. The most frightening violence I've seen. I think was place was shut was down by the council because it was happening every week.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not Edinburgh but my memories of the Eagle & Child pub in Liverpool are pretty scary. Finally closed in the 90's, they had a bowling green so went there a couple of times each season. Scary place, where outsiders not welcome, folk mugged in the toilets, firearms, and other weapons on show, famous quote from there, "I was minding my own business watching a fight, when a snooker match broke out".

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Always sad to see a local boozer go.

What's left pub wise in the immediate area now with the Ferry Boat long gone, The Gunner gone and am I right in thinking the Doocot is closed as well?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

What's left pub wise in the immediate area now with the Ferry Boat long gone, The Gunner gone and am I right in thinking the Doocot is closed as well?

Both these pubs appeared to be very much open for business when I went past on the bus 3 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Both these pubs appeared to be very much open for business when I went past on the bus 3 weeks ago
    They both underwent refurbishment fairly recently which might have led to the misunderstanding. To be honest I thought they were both away for a while until I saw life.

I'm abroad and can't read the bit about the gunner but it's a shame in a way. They are focal points for communities regardless of location and it's a step in the wrong direction for neighbourly relationships. The guy who pops in once a month might not be on speaking terms with someone who lives a few doors down if they didn't both have a chat about nonsense in their local.

Maybe it's just the way we are heading in general with transient populations and cheap beer from supermarkets.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    They both underwent refurbishment fairly recently which might have led to the misunderstanding. To be honest I thought they were both away for a while until I saw life.

I'm abroad and can't read the bit about the gunner but it's a shame in a way. They are focal points for communities regardless of location and it's a step in the wrong direction for neighbourly relationships. The guy who pops in once a month might not be on speaking terms with someone who lives a few doors down if they didn't both have a chat about nonsense in their local.

Maybe it's just the way we are heading in general with transient populations and cheap beer from supermarkets.
    That's the problem - £7 for a dozen bottles in Morrisons last night
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Punch Taverns and alike want massive returns from their landlords, some pubs are viable but landlords cannot cope paying massive sums every month.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    That's the problem - £7 for a dozen bottles in Morrisons last night
    I'm glad I don't see the appeal of drinking in the house, not for me at all thanks.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I'm glad I don't see the appeal of drinking in the house, not for me at all thanks.
    I'm not a big drinker either to be honest but a couple with my dinner was ok
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

The ferryboat and the doocot are still open I think ?

The Ferry Boat is still open and you have the Anchor as well down Royston which still trades, the Doo'cot i think is open, but seems to yo yo from being closed for a few weeks then open for a bit then closes again, no music or TV and pish beer/lager in the Doo'cot so struggles to bring in any punters, it is always empty when you drive past it, shame as it was a great boozer to drink in back in the day.

Mackenzie's pub in Davidson Mains (just been taking over by new owner) seems to be the popular choice for most folk nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

Gunner pub blames bulldozed homes as bar shuts.

TELEVISION stars and footballers propped up its bar after it achieved notoriety at the hand of one of Scotland’s greatest authors.

But now The Gunner in Pennywell Road – which once served the likes of Jonathan Ross and former Hibs players Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan – has closed.

Heartbroken landlady Maria McGovern, 52, claimed she had tried “everything” to keep the pub – a haunt of characters in Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting – open and blamed the loss of hundreds of homes bulldozed in the regeneration of Muirhouse. Maria, who has run the pub for nine years with partner John Burrell, added: “I’m all for regeneration – but at what cost? It could have been saved and it could have worked if they hadn’t knocked those houses down in one go.

“They have ripped the heart out of the community.
    “They knocked 950 houses down in the area between 2008 and 2010. That’s 950 potential customers gone. There has been no support for local businesses.”

John, 56, said the pub had lost more than £1 million in the past four years, forcing them to plough their own money into the business just to keep it running.

Customers have been left devastated by the news, with shocked punters turning up to find signs reading ‘Closed until further notice’.

Maria said: “I have had customers at the door crying in my arms.
    “There is one guy who has drank in here for 47 years, and I had to watch him standing outside reading the [closure] notice.

“Those are the ones I care about. What are they going to do?”

Maria also pointed to a lack of funding from leaseholder Punch Taverns, which claims it is “impossible” to commit to investment in the pub.

A Punch Taverns spokesman said: “We can confirm that our licensee at The Gunner has made the decision to leave as she no longer feels the business is viable for her.
    The area and demographics around The Gunner has changed. With that level of uncertainty as to the future, it makes it impossible for us to commit to invest in the pub with any surety.”

More than £40m is being pumped into the area as the council builds 700 new homes.

And there may be a late reprieve for the pub, with ward councillor Steve Cardownie seeking to broker a deal to save it at a meeting tomorrow with city chief executive Sue Bruce.

He wants to see the city become “sympathetic” landlords to the licensees, adding: “When the council took away all those houses it reduced their customer base and they have not been recompensed in any way by the council.

The Ferry Boat is still open and you have the Anchor as well down Royston which still trades, the Doo'cot i think is open, but seems to yo yo from being closed for a few weeks then open for a bit then closes again, no music or TV and pish beer/lager in the Doo'cot so struggles to bring in any punters, it is always empty when you drive past it, shame as it was a great boozer to drink in back in the day.

Mackenzie's pub in Davidson Mains (just been taking over by new owner) seems to be the popular choice for most folk nowadays.
    Sacrilege to say that the Anchor is in Royston.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Sacrilege to say that the Anchor is in Royston.
    Wardieburn

Wardieburn
    Haha, close enough.

granton

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davy malcolm View Post
    granton

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    It was no where near the ramps.

Good companions oxgangs

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Boy that was a long and entertaining read. Been in many of those mentioned without bother. Clock Inn in Dalry Rd definitely full of portraits by Picasso. Scariest place I've ever been in was (I think originally) the Green Tree on Gorgie Road the boozer Robbo took over and apparently full of the fascist no surrender chapter of the Jambo's. It's a Monday, 5:00 3 people in the bar and I want to use the phone (1980s). Could feel the eyes drilling in my back as I made a 30 second call so necked a fresh orange and left with a fast shuffle.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Just had a wee re-read of this thread (and what a great read it is) and thought it was time for a few updates from our younger posters.

The Hop Poles in Tulse Hill, London.

Early 70s. Very heavy place.

I think in Edinburgh the worst pub was halfway down Leith Walk on the left. I can't remember its name.
    I went in there once in the 80s and there was an Indian guy flaked out on the floor, his turban in disarray.
    I made my excuses and left.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The Hop Poles in Tulse Hill, London.

Early 70s. Very heavy place.

I think in Edinburgh the worst pub was halfway down Leith Walk on the left. I can't remember its name.
    I went in there once in the 80s and there was an Indian guy flaked out on the floor, his turban in disarray.
    I made my excuses and left.
    He must have been Sikh...