hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Glory Hunters"

"Glory Hunters"

There's been much said about fans turning up for big games like a semi final or final. This seems to get many backs up and I don't understand why?

I'm a season ticket holder so I know I'll get a ticket. I bought one because I can afford too. Many fans can't or can't make games either. But make the effort in big games. The way I see it would you rather we just plod along the M8 with 8k fans because many don't want to have fans who attend big games?

The more fans there the better for our players and club. For me I love when the so called "glory hunters" come along. If they didn't we would have an empty end plain and simple.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Spot on. I wish we had more support but we always get a turnout for the big games. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Im with you PB . Just wish some of the glory hunters started going to more games at ER .

Ggtth
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been much said about fans turning up for big games like a semi final or final. This seems to get many backs up and I don't understand why?

I'm a season ticket holder so I know I'll get a ticket. I bought one because I can afford too. Many fans can't or can't make games either. But make the effort in big games. The way I see it would you rather we just plod along the M8 with 8k fans because many don't want to have fans who attend big games?

The more fans there the better for our players and club. For me I love when the so called "glory hunters" come along. If they didn't we would have an empty end plain and simple.
    Dinnae let it bother you matey, i have been once this season and i will be at the semi and if we win that i will be at the final.

And do you know what, i wont feel one ounce of guilt, why should i whose place will i be taking?

I agree with you. I would come back for a Scottish Cup Final with Hibs in it - does that make me a glory hunter? For that matter, I attended the MLS final between Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake (coldest MLS game on record by the way). Again - does that make me a glory hunter?

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Pretty much me in a nutshell. I would love to be able to but part time work while at uni barely gets me by as it is ! Even though I'm not a regular at the games or on this(post wise) I still find myself on this every single bloody day. Just because it makes me feel good to see fellow hibbies feeling good !

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Spot on. I wish we had more support but we always get a turnout for the big games. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned
    Loyalty point system should help to sort things out, and ensure those who put money into the club get a chance of ticket for bigger matches. Bit of refinement still needed to recognise shareholders, overseas fans etc but good step forward.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Never renewed my season ticket after the 2012 season so attend now and again and mostly for the 'big' games.

Although I am not sure you can call any Hibs fan a 'glory' hunter, maybe a misery or pain hunter as there ain't been much glory over the years.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Dinnae let it bother you matey, i have been once this season and i will be at the semi and if we win that i will be at the final.

And do you know what, i wont feel one ounce of guilt, why should i whose place will i be taking?
    I can relate to this comment although I have been to a few more games. The fact of the matter is the wee man would rather go to the occasional English Prem game and take part in other activities on a Saturday. We went to the cup game last weekend, I offered him the chance to go to the game yesterday but his reply was no thanks because he couldn't see the game very well the last time at Cowdenbeath, describing it as a dump and he'd be better at Dam Park (in Ayr) watching the juniors.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd obviously like to see thousands more at Easter Road when we play there, but the thought of going to Hampden with a few thousand fans is brutal. It's great that people make the effort on the big occasions, it's not a negative at all.

The big games are where the 'Hibernian family' come together, there are enough tickets to go round and nobody that's a die-hard should be missing out on tickets so I don't see hte issue either.

It would be fantastic though, if some of those fans that just come to the big occasions found their way to Easter Road more frequently (the ones that can do it, obviously, not the ones who have no choice) because that would give us a better team in the long run.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I suppose I am now in the gloryhunter category. Wednesday night was only my 5th game of the season. I cant remember talking about gloryhunters when i was going every week home and away for years. It must be a new thing. I can pretty much guarantee that with my cirvle of Hibby mates that I will get a ticket for any semi or final that comes up as in all honesty Hampden is big enough for any Hibs game. Im sure that all of the folks like me who dont go every week but make it to finals would love to go each week if the cirvumstances allowed. I would hate to play a final against anyone wiyh only 8000 gans there to cherr the team on

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the same. Big games are what brings out familes and friends. Because of this they may start coming back if they enjoy it. I love seeing Hampden packed with Hibs fans it's magic! Yes in a perfect world many could make ER too but many have other commitments that can't be avoided.

Anyway the more who come to Hampden the better, let's pack it again!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Never renewed my season ticket after the 2012 season so attend now and again and mostly for the 'big' games.

Although I am not sure you can call any Hibs fan a 'glory' hunter, maybe a misery or pain hunter as there ain't been much glory over the years.
    Term glory-hunter's subjective. IMO a true glory-hunter is someone who has rarely or never set foot in ER, has little interest in football, rarely looks for the Hibs score, and could hardly name a few current Hibs players. They go along to big matches for the banter, beer and a nice day out. They don't really give a toss about the result and have no emotional investment.

The resentment comes when these people are able (through contacts or touts) to pick up tickets for big matches and denies someone who does care and does tick some of these boxes.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Been hunting glory for years, wish it would come round more often.

There's a pretty clear difference between a 'glory hunter' and fans who have various reasons for not attending every week.

When the 2012 Cup Final was confirmed I had at least 10 texts in the 1st 5 minutes after the Celtic v Hearts game asking me to get them tickets. I never even knew at least 6 of those people were Hibs 'supporters'. Those are glory hunters. My sister managed to get a ticket for the 2013 final because she fancied a day out in Glasgow on the piss and a party at nigt if Hibs won. She wouldn't have a scooby how to get to ER, that's a gloryhunter.

Folk who live abroad, can't attend due to work, money, location etc but make the effort for bigger games, fair enough.

The group that most annoy me though, and I don't think they are glory hunters just annoying, are the guys who don't have a good word to say about the club from one week to the next, won't attend games for ever changing reasons yet mouth off at every opportunity and are the fonts of all knowledge about what's wrong and how to fix it. There's one in every pub and on every fans forum....They tend to be near the front when the queue for cup final tickets forms.

I have a ST because fortunately my circumstances allow me to have one, doesn't mean i love hibs anymore than someone who doesn't have a ST. I love when we take big crowds through to hampden etc. I wish more people however would start coming back to ER, we now have a team to be proud of and playing some very good football.

It's quite simple really and it's nothing whatsoever to do with glory hunting. Scottish Football as a whole is overpriced, vastly overpriced. We're watching football that wouldn't look out of place in some amateur leagues, yet we're expected to pay premium prices.

Most of us have been watching it for so long that you're immune to how awful the football is. Most of us then act surprised when we get punted out of Europe by some club that we regard as a lesser club or our equals. When in actual fact, it's us that are deluded, the countries that we once scoffed at are now better than us and offer a better product to their fans for a lot less money.

Can anyone honestly say that any Scottish football league game is worth the asking price? It's akin to paying a premium for a Hugo Boss suit and receiving a BHS suit in its place. Don't blame the fans, blame those in charge and the clubs for overpricing their product.

It's just a pity those in charge don't overprice the product when negotiating new TV deals. They see us as an easy target.
    Last edited by sh00byd00; 15-03-2015 at 03:14 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Dont see the problem tbh. Also anyone wanting tickets for semi and final if we make it will get them no problem. Will me tske 25k to teh semi ??? No. Final yes 25k at a push with anyone on database being able to buy regardless of loyalty pointz.

There wont be a problem for tickets for the semi anyway. And as always it is fair ST's get first look in for the big games. I don't remember there ever being a problem getting a ticket whether I have been an ST, a 20 game walk up or as now 5 games a season due to work (many not the glamourous games either). The more Hibee's there the better for me no matter what level of support they give the club financially or games they choose to watch

Quote Originally Posted by sh00byd00 View Post
    It's quite simple really and it's nothing whatsoever to do with glory hunting. Scottish Football as a whole is overpriced, vastly overpriced. We're watching football that wouldn't look out of place in some amateur leagues, yet we're expected to pay premium prices.

Most of us have been watching it for so long that you're immune to how awful the football is. Most of us then act surprised when we get punted out of Europe by some club that we regard as a lesser club or our equals. When in actual fact, it's us that are deluded, the countries that we once scoffed at are now better than us and offer a better product to their fans for a lot less money.

Can anyone honestly say that any Scottish football league game is worth the asking price? It's akin to paying a premium for a Hugo Boss suit and receiving a BHS suit in its place. Don't blame the fans, blame those in charge and the clubs for overpricing their product.

It's just a pity those in charge don't overprice the product when negotiating new TV deals. They see us as an easy target.
    Agree the product is not worth the price, although the 4-0 hammering of the Huns came damn close

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Glory hunters are the folk you know from work or school or wherever that are always "too busy" to go to hibs games or "can't be bothered" during the season but are always first to ask you for a ticket for the final or ask if you're going and is there any chance of a seat on the bus etc etc.

I got someone I know tickets for a final and they then went and sold them so now everyone gets told to bolt from me!

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Living in Aberdeen and working weekend is the reason I can't make many games but hopefully I can attend more next year when I move to Dundee so will be closer.

Quote Originally Posted by sh00byd00 View Post

The football even at it's worst under previous managers could never be compared to amateur standard, that's just wrong. The only way to get a higher standard is get better players whether they are home grown or signed from other teams. That costs money and getting the balance right on ticket prices is not easy. There have been games this season that have been worth a bit more than current prices (the Dundee United and Falkirk games spring to mind) and also games that have not been worth the money. Hibs have shown great improvement this season and to keep that momentum going we need more supporters to come back to Easter Road and back the team. Many have understandably lost the habit of attending and it will be difficult to attract some of them back but the alternative is just to give up. Lastly I have watched Hibs for fifty years and seen some awful Hibs teams but I can assure you the current team and players are not in that category, not even close.
    Last edited by inglisavhibs; 15-03-2015 at 04:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    This glory hunter/part timer chat is something I find incredibly tiresome.

If you got to games great. If you can't go to games fair enough. If you used to go to games loads and now go occasional games - including big games - absolutely fine. If you want to leave after 5, 10, 45, 75, 86 minutes (win, lose or draw) that's your choice.

These hibs "glory hunters" might invest more time and energy in the club's league campaign if Scottish football was a bit fairer and less about the Glasgow two.

It's the glory hunters who are heading back to Dundee just now with green scarves who are the real problem.

Hibs supporter and gloryhunter in the same sentence is just plain daft imho! What Hibernian have is a core support around the 10k mark when doing OK and a large element of fans who are occasional walk ups and cup semi's and finals attendees. I genuinely feel as a club the time is right for a reverse in the trend of declining season ticket sales as the blend on and off the pitch is one that inspires trust or faith.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    You can't call any fan in Scotland who isn't an OF fan a gloryhunter in my opinion. I know a Celtc fan whose only games this season have been home and away to Inter. That's glory hunting.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Didn't even bother reading the rest of the thread ... this ...... all of it .......... 100%

GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

But you will be moaning like hell when hibs can't afford to give Allan, Fyvie renewed contracts. That's the problem with 7k crowds.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    Glory Hunters, in my view, are people who do not come from Glasgow and who do not have any family links as a reason for supporting Celtic and in the past, Rangers, yet travel to see them because they win/used to win trophies. People like me are part-time supporters. Glory hunting cannot and does not apply to Hibs supporters.