hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Team tonight

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

Team tonight

Anyone know how the injury list is looking?

Do we expect Gray and Malonga to play?

I would guess Watson would play in place of Gray, but I hope Malonga is fit. I think Cummings and Djedje/Boyle doesn't give us much of a physical presence up top and Malonga's hold up play and ball retention is second to none.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Oxley

Watson
    Hanlon
    Fontaine
    Stevenson

Robertson
    Allan
    McGeouch
    Fyvie

Cummings
    Dja Djedje

Cummings and Boyle up front

I'd guess;

Oxley

Watson
    Hanlon
    Fontaine
    Stevenson

Robertson
    Allan
    McGeoch
    Craig

Cummings
    Malonga.

Think Gray will sit this one out and can see Fyvie get a rest due to playing the 90 v Berwick. If I was picking I'd maybe have Stanton in for Craig but I think this will be the team. Good to have Boyle and Djedje on the bench

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know how the injury list is looking?

Do we expect Gray and Malonga to play?

I would guess Watson would play in place of Gray, but I hope Malonga is fit. I think Cummings and Djedje/Boyle doesn't give us much of a physical presence up top and Malonga's hold up play and ball retention is second to none. GGTTH
    According to the BBC

'David Gray and Dominique Malonga are expected to shake off knocks while Keith Watson and Martin Boyle are available after being cup-tied.

Livingston include recent signing Darren Cole but former Hibs youngster Brad Donaldson misses out with injury.

The visitors have also had illness to deal with, four players having missed training over the weekend'.

Want to see Stanton get a start after his impressive cameo at the weekend and either McGeouch or Allan rested with a view to Saturday which will be a greater test imo. Also, Boyle and Watson to start having been cup tied for the weekend, allowing us to rest Gray and Malonga depending on how serious their knocks were.

Oxley, Watson, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson, Fyvie, McGeouch/Allan, Stanton, Boyle, Cummings.
    Last edited by HibsNutter; 11-03-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: ten players, duh.

@hibs.net private member
    Assuming everybody is match fit, and not carrying any knocks, we should be starting with our strongest 11. We can take players off if/when we think the game is won, and that should apply in every game in the run in I'd say.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Assuming everybody is match fit, and not carrying any knocks, we should be starting with our strongest 11. We can take players off if/when we think the game is won, and that should apply in every game in the run in I'd say.

Correct.

Strongest starting 11 possible tonight.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Ad keep same team but give Cerney a chance needs a few games before he's the number 1

@hibs.net private member
    If everyone is fit I would keep with the same team as Saturday with the exception of Scott A. He looks a bit jaded to me and it hasn't really happened for him in the last few weeks. Stanton would replace Scott for me after his excellent subs appearance on Saturday.

If Gray has even a hint of an injury I would leave him out and replace him with Watson.

Momentum is everything though an if everyone is fit I can see Stubbs keeping the same 11

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    Want to see Stanton get a start after his impressive cameo at the weekend and either McGeouch or Allan rested with a view to Saturday which will be a greater test imo. Also, Boyle and Watson to start having been cup tied for the weekend, allowing us to rest Gray and Malonga depending on how serious their knocks were.

Oxley, Watson, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson, Fyvie, McGeouch/Allan, Stanton, Boyle, Cummings.

Dont want anyone rested tonight to be honest. This is a big game for us, Rangers dropping points last night we need to take advantage of that. Strongest 11 is required tonight IMO.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Correct.

Strongest starting 11 possible tonight.
    Absolutely would start with the same 11 as Sunday if all fit.

I'd like to see stanton get a full game. He was our only positive last season and I feel for him not getting game time.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Don't change a winning team. Anything other than 3 points lets the The Rangers off the hook.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    Gray is playing tonight, malonga may be rested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    I'd like to see stanton get a full game. He was our only positive last season and I feel for him not getting game time.
    While it's widely acknowledged that Stanton is not yet in the top 4 midfielders we have, he does appear better suited to the "tip of the diamond" role, with his willingness to run beyond the strikers. Allan, McGeouch and Fyvie are all strong from deeper positions, running with the ball and making passes. They are physically stronger too which may be needed at Cowden. Could Fyvie play the holding role to give Robbo a rest tonight?
    Watson, Forster, Fontaine, Stevenson could keep Livi out surely, with Gray & Hanlon back for a potential battle on the bog at Central Park.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    We didn't play our strongest team and nearly paid for it. Stubbs is still learning as a manager and got out of jail tonight. I know he said he was happy after the game but he will know we had a lacklustre second half and could have lost 2 valuable points. He talked about patience after the game but there's a difference between patience and playing too slowly with too many passes in front of their defence. We did too much of the latter in the second half.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    We didn't play our strongest team and nearly paid for it. Stubbs is still learning as a manager and got out of jail tonight. I know he said he was happy after the game but he will know we had a lacklustre second half and could have lost 2 valuable points. He talked about patience after the game but there's a difference between patience and playing too slowly with too many passes in front of their defence. We did too much of the latter in the second half.
    when we play liam craig he is so slow , he will pass to lewis who in turn cuts back inside and passes back to craig who then passes back to fontaine , its was just like last season all over again, it shows you how we miss scott allan and dylan. still its three points so move on to the next game.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    when we play liam craig he is so slow , he will pass to lewis who in turn cuts back inside and passes back to craig who then passes back to fontaine , its was just like last season all over again, it shows you how we miss scott allan and dylan. still its three points so move on to the next game.
    Just like last season all over again? Eh?

We weren't great tonight but easily deserved to win. Liam Craig's pass for the first was sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Stubbs got out of jail? He rested key players and we won - therefore his changes worked and the decisions were the correct ones.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Just like last season all over again? Eh?

We weren't great tonight but easily deserved to win. Liam Craig's pass for the first was sublime.
    Agreed.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Stubbs got out of jail? He rested key players and we won - therefore his changes worked and the decisions were the correct ones.
    Exactly.

Testimonial Due
    We only won because Livi's defence hadn't got back into position after their equaliser. Stubbs was very lucky; madness to leave our 3 best players out for a must-win game. We were crying out for Malonga in the second half as he has the craft and composure in and around the box that we were lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    We only won because Livi's defence hadn't got back into position after their equaliser. Stubbs was very lucky; madness to leave our 3 best players out for a must-win game. We were crying out for Malonga in the second half as he has the craft and composure in and around the box that we were lacking.
    Why was he lucky?

Also, given we won (and you described it as a must win) it was hardly madness.

Massive risk to leave out our best 3 players from the starting 11.

When McGeoch came on, it highlighted how important he is to our midfield and how we missed him for the 1st 70 mins whilst he sat on the bench.

Stubbs picked a team that he thought would win the game - we won the game, therefore he was correct. To criticise the team selection is churlish, as is criticising the performance, as we were the better team and we won.

Why on earth anyone feels the need to give our manager a hard time after a very important win is beyond me. Many on here have been extolling the virtues of how strong a squad we have at the moment - we utilised it tonight in our second game of three to take place in the space of six days.

We won on Sunday and we won tonight, and three of our better players go into Saturday's game after five days rest. A job well done.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 11-03-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    McGeouch is such a big player for Hibs. No coincidence since he came back into the team from injury in the New Year Derby that we have been undefeated. We missed Dylan from the starting line up tonight, no question.

Having said that, I don't think you can criticise Stubbs for his team selection. Of two absent from Sunday's first 11, Craig set up the first goal and Djedje scored the second. Scott Allan was poor on Sunday and has been ill recently and Gray and Malonga took 2 hefty tackles in the Berwick game.

I'd expect to see our full strength team back in for Saturday though.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 12-03-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Stubbs called it spot on today resting players. We have a really tough run in with lots of games to play. We cant afford to get the type of injuries to key players that happen when players play 3 games a week.

As we have moved into the second half of the season its become clear that the work being done by the Fitness coaches, sports science staff and nutrition staff is beginning to show.
    We are having less injuries and our team are looking fitter than they have ever been before.

We are also picking up very few bookings compared to previous years, which may also be down to improved fitness.