hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not really unequal though is it? The winners in every competition in the world get the most prize money. Thats the prize for winning.

Be like asking Novak Djokovic to split his prize money to help number 136 in the world to develop his tennis
    Bit more drastic than I had in mind, but interesting idea to give each club an identical sum

I don't have the figures to hand, but there is a massive drop from first to second, and another large drop to third before the change in prize money between places becomes reasonably consistent. Decreasing the size of the gap between first/second and second/third woud be very achievable.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    He's spot on when talking about his own club but teams like us need every single penny going from tv money as 3pm kick offs on a Saturday dosen't increase the gate enough to justify scrapping the tv money.
    Not according to Rod Petrie! He said 2 years ago that Hibs have been loosing money because of the TV deal and that they had more fixture changes in the league than any other team because of it

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    Not according to Rod Petrie! He said 2 years ago that Hibs have been loosing money because of the TV deal and that they had more fixture changes in the league than any other team because of it
    When have you ever believed anything that Rod Petrie has had to say

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    That's been the case for years, I wonder what's woken him up now?
    I still have to read this thread yet but the realisation the Rangers aren't going up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Lawell's a chess player. What's he really want? Celtic owning their own TV rights and not sharing with the rest of the poor so they can maximise income for themselves while complaining about the level of competition.

Atlantic League back on the agenda before Der H look like failing to make the top league. Even Terry B said on Sportscene he doesn't think they are going up.
    Off course here but did butcher say we were?

When have you ever believed anything that Rod Petrie has had to say
    I would believe him more than some random fan

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    I would believe him more than some random fan
    Ok Rod

If games were back to sat 3pm I would be able to attend more games by being able to book flights earlier in advance. I also think it has impacted on crowds at ER. Folk stopped buying st, s due to ko times, some of thesefolk then missed a couple of games due to not having a st. So I think it has definitely impacted on crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I don't have the figures to hand, but there is a massive drop from first to second, and another large drop to third before the change in prize money between places becomes reasonably consistent. Decreasing the size of the gap between first/second and second/third woud be very achievable.
    It is not as dramatic any more. Back when the leagues merged, prize money from the top places in the SPL was redistributed downwards.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Off course here but did butcher say we were?

Wouldn't commit..

First Team Breakthrough
    I've got to say Sat at 3pm would always be my preferred option but then I'm old skool

TV games may bring extra revenue to clubs but the real fans who attend games can often have to resort to watching on TV if no transport is available after FT. Friday night & Saturday 5.30pm games spring to mind here.

Most of the time Sky or BT just want to show Celtic so left to BBC to show other league meetings lower down and cup ties.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Franck View Post
    I'd be delighted if we did this. Derbies at 3pm on a Saturday would be brilliant.

Sunday lunchtime kick-offs easily knock 1500-2000 off our attendances IMO, as well as being a pain in the ar$e for those that do attend.

Tell Sky to GTF.
    I would normally agree but today kind of disproved that didn't it? We got a bigger attendance than most home matches recently

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eh if it was only that simple.

My point is would the loss in TV revenue and sponsorship be covered by the walk ups at 3pm on a Saturday? IMO definitely NO.
    It is that simple though. People aren't going to games when they are at stupid times.

Let's take Lawwell first - Celtic only have 5 home games shown live on TV in the League (it was 4 when Rangers were in the League and two were Old Firm games), every other club has at least 6 but if you are in the bottom six, it could be 7.

Also, when Celtic were in the Europa League and had games moved to Sunday's, they requested to play them at 1pm even when they were not on TV!

Also, did Lawwell not accompany Doncaster down to London to talk to Sky and ESPN in 2012 to keep the deal?

Moving on, I remember people on here in 2012 saying Sky and ESPN better not walk away just because Rangers were not in the then SPL. They stayed, even though they were not contractually obliged, and they still get pelters.

In the past, especially in the first two years of the Setanta deal between 2004-2006, they only had 38 games a season (one a week) and they only broadcast one live Edinburgh Derby in each of the first two seasons meaning a lot of fans could not watch the game.

TV brings advertising and sponsorship.

Don't just blame TV, ask the real questions.

Why do the SFA have a superb TV deal (which gets missed) with UEFA, Sky and BBC, worth a lot of money and the SPFL don't with Sky, BT and BBC Alba?

Why do the SFA have good sponsorship deals with Vauxhall, William Hill and Adidas but the SPFL doesn't have a sponsor?

Why did the SPFL knock back £100 million + from Sky to go with Setanta in 2008 and within a year had to go to Sky/ESPN and accept what they were offered?

Why does the SPFL dilute the rights for the two companies that put more money into Scottish football than anyone else (Sky and BT) by giving BBC Alba rights for next to nothing, nearly every website highlights rights to the detriment of the clubs own websites?

What we should be looking at is working with TV to get a better deal. Not a fairer deal just because England get plenty money, the SPFL have to earn it.

Should 78 league games over four divisions be broadcast live?

Would 40-45 live games be better with an option of another 5-10 hence less TV games and disruption?

Better structured highlights deals such as the SFA's Scottish Cup deal and what the SPL had between 1998-2002?

A set TV kick off time? This probably wouldn't work for the broadcasters but it is a discussion to have.

Could the clubs do more to promote the game on TV? Should they give better access to get Sky and BT and BBC interested?

Should fans be more realistic about games being moved?

Should clubs, TV and transport officials work together when games are being rescheduled?

Rather than say 'bin TV' let's look at why we got to this point, where TV and clubs/fans can benefit together and how we can make Scottish football better.

I love when Hibernian are on TV, we get to show off our club to the rest of the UK, Europe and the World.
    Last edited by DavieRoy; 09-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.