hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

celtic and the EPL

I see in todays Daily Mail Celtic's chief moaning that the new £3.5bil tv deal will make it more dificult for them to play in England. Do they really believe it will ever be a goer, or is he just winding up the rst of Scottish football?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Doesn't seem to be able to get it into his thick head that they are just not wanted and it's never going to happen

They don't seem to grasp English football doesn't need or want Celtic.

The game down there is full of big clubs with big fanbases who scrap about somewhere between 6th and 16th every year, if not worse. See Newcastle, Everton and Spurs. There's a couple with good European pedigree there as well; Aston Villa for example, Nottingham Forest if you drop to the Championship. There's a couple who have managed to move up a level with external finance sources (Man City and Chelsea).

Why would any of these clubs want added competition? What new fan base do they bring? Man Utd and Liverpool already have big Irish and Northern Irish fan bases, a lot of clubs benefit from sizeable Scottish fanbases, the Asian and African markets are well exploited and North America is going the same way.

Celtic bring very little to that league other than increased competition for the already overcrowded mid table. They are not wanted or needed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Seems Septic will never grasp the fact that, apart from economically they'd add little to the EPL,their fans aren't wanted. The Police and City\Town-residents don't want thousands of drunk football-fans invading them every 2 weeks or so. Especially fans obsessed with the history of another country who are known to turn quite nasty when this obsession is questioned or mocked.

Also doesn't help that the general belief down there is that if they (the EPL) DID admit them, then sooner or later, Septic's historical 'Other half' would be clamouring to be admitted also - and (sadly, for Scotland) NO-ONE wants them !;

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    TV deal or no TV deal, when will Celtic realise that NO ONE in England needs them or wants them. They're starting to make themselves look like a cheap, desperate hooker.

After announcing their 'multi million pound' kit sponsorship yesterday, perhaps they should offer their services to the SPFL in attracting a sponsor to our league?

Hold on a minute, i'll take that back. For a minute I was suggesting they put aside their own self interests for the benefit of our game!
    Silly me!

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    When are they ever going to learn that the EPL simply don't want them!

Explains why Lawwell tried to airbrush Celtic's 'Republican' past yesterday much to the disgust of the majority of the Celtic support . His 'nothing to see here, move on approach' to seduce his target market in England has backfired spectacularly, with his own support. Good try Peter, but whatever language you use to sanitise generations of behaviour the objections have come from within, even before you lift your skirts and flutter your eyelashes in the direction of England.

Chances of them getting into EPL? Nil.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    The English clubs ain't perfect on the bigotry front but the money men who run them are very conscious of the damage anything of that type will do to their image and therefore their pockets - they wont be desperate to heap on an extra dose of sectarian bigotry on top of what they are trying to deal with.

celtc want the EPL cash more than the EPL will ever want celtc. Deluded.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see in todays Daily Mail Celtic's chief moaning that the new £3.5bil tv deal will make it more dificult for them to play in England. Do they really believe it will ever be a goer, or is he just winding up the rst of Scottish football?
    The fact that they are Scottish is surely the most difficult hurdle for them to overcome.

Why don't they move to Darlington and do us all a favour?

English chiefs: "Let's get a sectarian, English-hating support from a politically volatile Scotland down here to share some of the vast wealth we've negotiated on our TV deal. We could also donate some of the TV money to Palestinian orphans, and maybe victims of the atrocities in the Congo."

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    The fact that they are Scottish is surely the most difficult hurdle for them to overcome.

Why don't they move to Darlington and do us all a favour?
    They don't have to...there's other exceptions in Europe and the rest of the world. Cardiff and Swansea namely, Wellington Phoenix from NZ competing in the A-League. Just needs approval from the federations of the country they're from and want to play in, and the confederation...UEFA. I'd imagine FIFA would have to be involved somewhere (guessing at that last bit)

But they'll never ever ever ever ever play there, so they're stuck with us. Roond ye Lawwell!

FYI I'm all for shunting them to Darlington, let them play in here! http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/tables.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    English chiefs: "Let's get a sectarian, English-hating support from a politically volatile Scotland down here to share some of the vast wealth we've negotiated on our TV deal. We could also donate some of the TV money to Palestinian orphans, and maybe victims of the atrocities in the Congo."
    And they'll have to do something charitable on the dentistry front as well before they join - Sky in particular like showing shots of smiling well heeled looking home fans of real big teams, or at the very least tourists wearing scarfs and hats they have just bought for the day.

I can't see Sky wanting to project images associated with their product around the world of yellow / gap toothed simpletons who have been sleeping in a doorway or detained in a cell the night before the celtc v Tottenham game as they couldn't afford a hotel in North London?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Lawell is a complete thicko, won't wake up to the fact they are not wanted down South.

He has been involved in discussions to bring Anglo-Saxon Cup back.......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

And another reason I want them to lose every European game, they don't want to be here.....Muppets

I've never got this. What gives them the right to play in England? Surely we have as much rights to it as they have. Would we not benefit from larger TV revenue and gates

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I've never got this. What gives them the right to play in England? Surely we have as much rights to it as they have. Would we not benefit from larger TV revenue and gates
    They think they are too big for SPL, and have outgrown us......

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Bollocks, sure they could sell out their ground and attract better players if they were in the EPL but then, so could we. Imagine what we could do with £100 million in the bank.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like Hibs to join the EPL as well.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Hearts thought that for a wee while too.

Coaching Staff
    [QUO8171]Bollocks, sure they could sell out their ground and attract better players if they were in the EPL but then, so could we. Imagine what we could do with £100 million in the bank.[/QUOTE]
    Correct, sometimes I wish they would go, but then I hope they don't just so they look south and say if only, if only.
    The other thing with a general election on the way and the SNP expected to do very well that won't sit well with the English clubs or supporters.

They are just a feeder team for the Premiership.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The only way they should be allowed to go to England was if we all got that offer, and we all know that's never going to happen.

Why should they be any different to the rest of us?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    If they showed any real ambition they'd be trying for Serie A, La Liga or the Bundesliga

They do think that, and they are correct. There's very little competition for them in Scotland.

They lose the odd game now and then (who would have bet on St J winning at Parkhead the other night?) but they win the title most years especially with their pals from Govan being "away".

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    They do think that, and they are correct. There's very little competition for them in Scotland.

They lose the odd game now and then (who would have bet on St J winning at Parkhead the other night?) but they win the title most years especially with their pals from Govan being "away".
    What they are is disproportionately big. It's up to the league to increase competition across the board and if that means sharing gate money then they should be brave enough to do so. There are 40 other teams in this country who are all equal partners within a league framework...and it's time that Celtic realised that they are nothing without the collective.

I'm just sick of the tail wagging the dog with the approval of the media and the football authorities. I would tell them that if there's any more disrespectful talk about our league then they will have their desire to leave fulfilled immediately and they can find their own league to play in.

Coaching Staff
    What they are is disproportionately big. It's up to the league to increase competition across the board and if that means sharing gate money then they should be brave enough to do so. There are 40 other teams in this country who are all equal partners within a league framework...and it's time that Celtic realised that they are nothing without the collective.

I'm just sick of the tail wagging the dog with the approval of the media and the football authorities. I would tell them that if there's any more disrespectful talk about our league then they will have their desire to leave fulfilled immediately and they can find their own league to play in.

Yep, they are a big fish in a small pond.

I hear what you are saying in the last part of your post, but sadly I just cannot see that happening TBH.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    They who just signed a £6 million a year contract with NB...**** off Celtic

Heard Ronnie is moaning now about all the games they face... Jeezo. Wonder if he thought of this when sunning the team when "training" oversea's back in January.

Why does every manager who goes to Celtic become a grumpy beast?

Do they appreciate that apart from a small group of people who are celtc minded down south, nobody really even talks about them down here unless there is a major incident affecting them?

Using the other "big" team the rangers as an example, after the unionist boys trip to Manchester England was abuzz with tales of their vandalism etc, a couple of months later their only legacy was they weren't welcome back - they really don't do our nation any favours outside Scotland and as the years go by they are mentioned less and less down here.

Going back to celtc, they are a medium sized fish in a pond that no one outside Scotland wants to swim in.The further South you go the less likely their so called minority who sing pro republican songs are to be accepted by communities who didn't like their way of doing things or lived through the era they glorify.

Sir Matt Busby