hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really don't get how winning a tournament that takes five games and is won every other year by a very average club/team is such a big deal for some folk. It's the ultimate Mickey Mouse competition, even more so than the League Cup, which is at least seeded, so you usually get a difficult QF as well as SF/F. The Scottish Cup you can play dross up to and including the final. A bit silly that they give a European place for this nonsense. Yes, if we won it, I'd enjoy a great evening, then probably squirm with embarrassment that it took us so long.

I honestly think that Hibs fans are the only ones that really care about this - nobody else goes until the semis.
    Spot on DBS.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    So Hibs have been Less than Average for over a Hundred Years by not winning it..
    Or maybe more than average?

We have waited so long for the cup, I for one don't mind waiting another few years (not too many, mind). But the idea of staying in this league next season with no Hearts and potentially no Rangers is not something I would look forward to. We need promotion sharpish and that has to be the number one priority, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    We have waited so long for the cup, I for one don't mind waiting another few years (not too many, mind). But the idea of staying in this league next season with no Hearts and potentially no Rangers is not something I would look forward to. We need promotion sharpish and that has to be the number one priority, in my opinion.
    The thought of our biggest game of the season next year being against Falkirk or St Mirren actually depresses me.

Being in the Premiership next season is the one and only short term goal that I have for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Ideally both but if you had the choice which would it be?
    cup please, before I die thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    The thought of our biggest game of the season next year being against Falkirk or St Mirren actually depresses me.

Being in the Premiership next season is the one and only short term goal that I have for Hibs.
    ok Trig, sorry but I do disagree. I'd like to wear a nice shiny new cup winners strip next season, if I have to wear it in the Alamo bar in Caledonia Street, Paisley before we meet them in a championship match at the start of the season. ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Absolutely. Win it this year and go up next. Only the second team from the second tier of Scottish football to win it? That would be something.

And it would be a great way to kick off the next season and promotion.
    Even if we have to face Celtic in the final. that's the way I'd like to see us win it. thought we might have sneaked it against them 2 years ago, but not to be. I also wanted them, the year before that but ended up wi' the ****. Celtic humiliated us way back in 72' and I'd like to win against them in the Scottish cup final. end of.

Winning the cup could be a win win for fans and club alike.
    Being a greedy bassa i want both.
    The cash generated with a cup win could let AS attract other quality players to the club ( and show others who are thinking of leaving to stay).

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Absolutely. Win it this year and go up next. Only the second team from the second tier of Scottish football to win it? That would be something.

And it would be a great way to kick off the next season and promotion.
    Was browsing through to see if anyone else had posted this opinion. Getting this particular chip off our shoulders whilst being in the 2nd tier would almost make the downward slide of the last few years worth while and would be a great milestone to remember where and when the turning point began.

Scottish Cup for me too.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    So Hibs have been Less than Average for over a Hundred Years by not winning it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Without doubt the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on any thread, anywhere.

Have a quiet but serious word with yourself man - winning the Scottish Cup would be the most incredible day in Hibs fans and the clubs history in 60+ years. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're at the wind up..
    Hook line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by BT58 View Post
    Winning the cup could be a win win for fans and club alike.
    Being a greedy bassa i want both.
    The cash generated with a cup win could let AS attract other quality players to the club ( and show others who are thinking of leaving to stay).
    Not sure how successful the bit in bold will be if we continue to ply our trade in the second tier of Scottish football.

Hibs being a Premiership team once again would do far more to persuade quality players to come to Easter Road than a cup win ever would.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Without doubt the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on any thread, anywhere.

Have a quiet but serious word with yourself man - winning the Scottish Cup would be the most incredible day in Hibs fans and the clubs history in 60+ years. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're at the wind up..
    Sheltered life?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Spot on DBS.
    I believe that too many people are simply programming disappointment into their lives by accepting the Jambo agenda about this joke lottery. I'll celebrate as much as anybody if we won it, but I'd much rather be spared the embarrassment of being in the second tier of a poor league.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Probably prefer to win the cup, but I think we've actually got a chance of doing both. Assuming we beat Berwick, I'd be optimistic of beating any of the remaining sides in a one off game at Hampden.

scottish cup.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    We need to keep this team together, hold on to players like Allan, Malonga, Fyvie, Fontaine, Gray, McGeough, Oxley to name a few. I'm not convinced that another season down in this division would do so, even with a cup win. AS and co will only be able to attract players of this standard for so long while we are out of top division. Go up and see how far we can go in the top flight and there's a good chance they'll re-sign. Stay down, even with a cup win and I fear we lose them, if not this year then maybe next. For that reason i would, regrettably pick promotion over the cup.

Lucky we are doing both though so we don't have to decide

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Never win the cup so threads like these are pointless, really fun to look back on though come summer time
    Hopefully we are lookin back at this post and laughing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    Probably prefer to win the cup, but I think we've actually got a chance of doing both. Assuming we beat Berwick, I'd be optimistic of beating any of the remaining sides in a one off game at Hampden.
    This.

I think both are very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    TBH I'd fancy us to be top four SPL on our current form, I don't fear any team who plays us in the cup.

Even still, we are not a lower league team, we are Hibs and we need to be in the top flight. That's my priority.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

let's not be greedy! Would be delighted with either.

The cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I believe that too many people are simply programming disappointment into their lives by accepting the Jambo agenda about this joke lottery. I'll celebrate as much as anybody if we won it, but I'd much rather be spared the embarrassment of being in the second tier of a poor league.

You sound as if you are locked in a deep seated denial that the Scottish Cup means anything. Which I kind of understand. It's painful.

But if you ask fans of other clubs who have won it in the past few decades and also suffered relegation at some points in their history such as St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd and Hearts, I'm pretty sure none of them would swap having their names on the trophy and the incredible day out they had at Hampden winning it, with the day they got back into the SPL.

I remember being promoted in 1980 and 1999 and although it felt good to be back, I'd have stayed down another season if it meant we won the Scottish Cup that year. The feel good factor and spin offs of winning a trophy lasts for generations and we are woefully lacking in that department.

Making statements like yours does our club no favours, as our current image is one of a soft touch treading water, with little ambition of real glory for our long suffering fans and you are perpetuating that image.

I dont want to spend another season in the lower leagues and will be gutted if we don't win the play offs (which I believe we can) but winning the Scottish Cup.?! Would easily be the best day in my 50+ years supporting Hibs - and I think we have a fighting chance..

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Ideally both but if you had the choice which would it be?
    Scottish Cup

Scottish Cup

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Head says promotion, heart says cup but they both say **** hearts the cheating ****ing delinquent ****s.