hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pyramid Play-offs Watch

For the first time, there will be a play-off between the Highland and Lowland league winners, followed by the winner playing the team that finishes 10th in the 2nd division. Should be interesting and might bring some well needed new blood into the league.

Currently, Edinburgh City are running away with the Lowland league. They have won their last 11 league games and are 11 points ahead of Gretna 2008 having played 3 games less. They will be Lowland League champs.

Currently, Brora Rangers have a 5 point lead over Turriff United having won 14 and drawn 2 of their last 16 games. Turriff United have been equally impressive having won 18 and drawn two of their last 20 games. Brora Rangers have already beaten Turriff United 8-0 in the league in their fist league match this season.

The winner of the match between the Lowland and Highland League winners will play the team who finishes bottom of the 2nd division. That team is currently Montrose who are 5 points adrift of East Stirling, having played two games more.

I would think it is bye-bye Montrose and hello Brora Rangers or Edinburgh City. Should be interesting!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    If they want to be in the 2nd division. The travelling for both teams will be horrendous at this level.
    I agree with the opportunity, not sure the geography/population of Scotland, necessary lends itself to this

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Great information, thanks.

I'll be keeping an eye on this from now on.

Mon the City!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No sure that either of those two teams would be decent swaps for Montrose tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No sure that either of those two teams would be decent swaps for Montrose tbh.
    We need Regional leagues beneath League 1

Haven't Brora previously said they'd decline the opportunity to join the national leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    We need Regional leagues beneath League 1
    I would say beneath Championship.

I can't see Brora Rangers accepting any invite to join the SPFL to be honest.

As things stand at the moment, their closest match next season would be against Elgin City, which is almost a 200 miles round trip.

Their costs would be enormous.

If Montrose were to lose out where would they play next season ? Highland League presumably which would be pretty disastrous for them and would add to travel costs of Highland teams too . Need to regionalise from Div 1 .

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    We've got a few full time clubs in Div 1. If we can increase the number of teams in Premier/Championship, I agree with this

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I actually drove past Brora's ground today. There's no way they could cope with a post admin The Rangers with those facilities.

Don't know the budgets but talk is that Brora outspend Elgin City by a long way at the moment, got a big sponsor who i think is oil related so of course under the current climate that might change. Think Grant Munro and Ross Tokely (ex ICT) gave up fulltime football as Brora were paying more.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Haven't Brora previously said they'd decline the opportunity to join the national leagues?
    http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-league-two/284342-brora-rangers-to-let-fans-decide-over-potential-spfl-participation/

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Agree, it's a bit if a joke to have national leagues and all the travel they entail. Should be regional below our level.

About time there was demotion from the lower level. Excellence needs it's reward and we need innovation. League pyramid is well overdue.

@hibs.net private member
    So if Montrose drop and Brora Rangers win does the lowland league get an extra member?

Quote Originally Posted by EdinAyr View Post
    So if Montrose drop and Brora Rangers win does the lowland league get an extra member?

They dinnae even know themselves mate!! It's a farce!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinAyr View Post
    The way it used to work in England with the Third Division North/South was that a club on the border would move between the two to make up the numbers depending who was promoted and relgated from above and below. Given that system worked for dozens of years I cant imagine it will take much to work out how to do it Scotland.

And also - transport is much better than it was even 30 years ago and a 200 mile round trip from Brora isn't particularly challenging these days.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    For the first time, there will be a play-off between the Highland and Lowland league winners, followed by the winner playing the team that finishes 10th in the 2nd division. Should be interesting and might bring some well needed new blood into the league.

Currently, Edinburgh City are running away with the Lowland league. They have won their last 11 league games and are 11 points ahead of Gretna 2008 having played 3 games less. They will be Lowland League champs.

Currently, Brora Rangers have a 5 point lead over Turriff United having won 14 and drawn 2 of their last 16 games. Turriff United have been equally impressive having won 18 and drawn two of their last 20 games. Brora Rangers have already beaten Turriff United 8-0 in the league in their fist league match this season.

The winner of the match between the Lowland and Highland League winners will play the team who finishes bottom of the 2nd division. That team is currently Montrose who are 5 points adrift of East Stirling, having played two games more.

I would think it is bye-bye Montrose and hello Brora Rangers or Edinburgh City. Should be interesting!
    Rather shamefully, I totally forgot about this and wasn't aware this was even happening.

It's about time we opened things up as there are some really progressive clubs who deserve a shot at league football.

Heard him on the radio tonight. Think they are waiting on some further info from the SPFL.
    They are over an hour North of Inverness, so the cost for them and some other teams will be horrific, unless they receive financial support

It's not very encouraging for the upcoming play offs!

He sounds like he's trying to convince himself, in that article, that being promoted to League Two would be a good thing!

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    This is why Scotland should relay be looking at 2 professional top divisions with 2 or 3 regionalied lower leagues.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member
    Personally I think too much is made of the travel issues. I get highland leagues going down to dumfries midweek etc should be avoided but the regional set up in England still involves teams traveling a few hours to get to games, particularly in the South West where the infrastructure isn't great. The SFA currently help out with away travel costs for Scottish Cup ties, would be useful if this was extended to league games so that cost does not prohibit teams wanting to enter the league. With some sensible fixture scheduling (I know I'm placing too much trust in the powers that be) then I dont see how it cannot work.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Should Hibs be concerned about the prospect of Edinburgh City being promoted. Potential loss of fans etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    Should Hibs be concerned about the prospect of Edinburgh City being promoted. Potential loss of fans etc.
    No

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    This is why Scotland should relay be looking at 2 professional top divisions with 2 or 3 regionalied lower leagues.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post

Just like Germany and Spain.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Easthouses could be playing in the lowland league next season
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Dunno what the odds will be when the meet but given that Brora have pretty much said they dont want promotion id be extremely surprised if they win the tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    Joking aside do you think failing to gain promotion will effect our crowds? I think we may lose another 1k watching the crap we play against.