hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Was soaked today. Not as bad as Cowdenbeath as it wasn't as cold but I don't think anything could be.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I finished work at half three today and nipped in to the diggers for a pint before the smelly lot came back.

Two guys came in from the Yams match at half time and somebody asked why they were back so early

" We were 5-0 up at half time and we got bored " was the reply

WTF
    You need to change your local mate.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    You need to change your local mate.
    They are a consistent lot the yam, they were pouring out in droves last time it was 5-0 at half time down Gorgie way as well. ..I suppose all big teams do it.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    As opposed to??
    West Stand People

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I agree, they should all have 10,000 seat stadia and to **** with 100 years + of football tradition, these Mickey Mouse teams have no purpose. That's what's holding us back as a nation. Call themselves semi-professional!
    I never mentioned anything about capacity.

It could be a stadium that holds 1500 for all I care, but it could be a 1500 capacity that is actually a stadium which has a decent level of facilities.

Places like Central Park and the Indodrill Stadium are not grounds that should be deemed acceptable any more.

Drooned rats! Think we were 10 miles north of Aberdeen when we dried out.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post
    I

There are about 20 too many clubs in Scotland for our game to be healthy, we need a cull..........
    Nope there are exactly the right number of clubs in Scotland - if there weren't they'd fold and be defunct. Most of the smaller clubs break even - low overheads, part time players, community support and a profit making social club. It's exactly the model used by the vast majority of non-league clubs in England (and Europe). The only difference in Scotland is that the top of the non-league is included in the non-non-league (as it were). The pyramid will over time blur the difference (as it has done south of the border).

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Thanks guys. It was nasty to say the least. Absolutely soaked to the skin but worth it to see us get the 3 points.
    Dedication pal, glad the players got 3 points for you all today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Im split on this one. I really get what you're saying re too many clubs etc, just look at the success of ICT for proof of this. However, having played in the lower leagues and at a lot of these grounds it would take a lot away from people who love there club and support them with a real passion. For me one of the problems is the glory hunters heading too watch the ugly sisters. Buses heading from towns all over the country to Ibrox and Parkhead.
    This is why I don't have a problem with these clubs "taking advantage" of the big clubs who just happen to be in the same league.

Where would Alloa be if the vast majority of people in the Alloa area supported their local team? Their league position might be similar but it would be more natural and not down to a miraculous combination of good players and excellent management which has them punching above their weight. Who knows where they might be had this combination been there along with years of local support. They might have even been able to afford to invest in some decent facilities.

Every one of the teams in the lower leagues suffers the same problem. They are in areas where glory hunters are in abundance so have two choices. They either invest in their team and hope for the best or take the plunge with their decaying ground and cut back. To insist that everyone who has the pleasure of our company has minimum standards is snobbery. It's similar to the mentality that made clubs like Raith Rovers etc..build 10000 seater stadiums because a certain artificial standard had to be adhered to.

Instead of moaning at these wee clubs for charging us an extra £3, we should be venting our anger towards the authorities and the media for enforcing the idea that the old firm are the only teams worth a sook in this country.

And if anyone wants to "streamline" the game in this country, they should look at this English game that they want to either emulate or piggyback. It's sold on history, heritage and tradition which is something we have in abundance. It's the distribution of collective wealth that's the problem with our "product".

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I'm Hibs through and through but I am Alloa born and bred. Alloa as an incredibly well run community club who pay their way in Scottish football and in the wider business world. They have improved the stadium over the last few years and I'm sure they will continue to do so as and when funds allow. They are in a league with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and above Dunfermline. All clubs who have been FORCED to spend millions on upgrading their grounds, likely at a time when they couldn't afford it. Three of these "bigger" clubs have gone into administration with RR and Falkirk also close. There is a place for the likes of Alloa in Scottish football and right now that place is near the bottom of division 1.
    I can remember when growing up Alloa would get much bigger crowds than they do now. Years of glory hunting Rangers and Celtic fans (and of course Alloa Hibs supporters club) leaving the area each week has driven crowds down. Football is a tough business and Alloa do alright.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I'm Hibs through and through but I am Alloa born and bred. Alloa as an incredibly well run community club who pay their way in Scottish football and in the wider business world. They have improved the stadium over the last few years and I'm sure they will continue to do so as and when funds allow. They are in a league with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and above Dunfermline. All clubs who have been FORCED to spend millions on upgrading their grounds, likely at a time when they couldn't afford it. Three of these "bigger" clubs have gone into administration with RR and Falkirk also close. There is a place for the likes of Alloa in Scottish football and right now that place is near the bottom of division 1.
    I can remember when growing up Alloa would get much bigger crowds than they do now. Years of glory hunting Rangers and Celtic fans (and of course Alloa Hibs supporters club) leaving the area each week has driven crowds down. Football is a tough business and Alloa do alright.

All this I totally agree with.

But, honestly, how much would it cost them to put a wee roof on the north terrace the same as on the south? I'm sure they could afford it from all the extra money they've made playing Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Alloa deserve to be in the same league as us as both teams football ability dictate that. However it's not to much to ask clubs to have some sort of covering from the weather. We expect the cold but to be forced to stand in driving rain and freezing cold and to pay for the privilege is wrong.

I like many Hibs supporters no longer live in Edinburgh but still follow Hibs. I just don't get that you must support your nearest club. Supporting a team is made up of many elements, location may be one of them but it's not the be all and end all.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    All this I totally agree with.

But, honestly, how much would it cost them to put a wee roof on the north terrace the same as on the south? I'm sure they could afford it from all the extra money they've made playing Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers this season.
    I agree and as I say, they will most likely improve The Recs when the can afford to. Even a roof as you suggest would cost £0000s. They need to replace the pitch which is worn out and I believe that will be about £400,000. I'm sure that they will continue as they are doing. Slowly improving as a team, slowly improving the facilities while staying financially stable and providing a community focus that sees them having hundreds of kids playing football each week

I agree and as I say, they will most likely improve The Recs when the can afford to. Even a roof as you suggest would cost £0000s. They need to replace the pitch which is worn out and I believe that will be about £400,000. I'm sure that they will continue as they are doing. Slowly improving as a team, slowly improving the facilities while staying financially stable and providing a community focus that sees them having hundreds of kids playing football each week

Honestly, that much? Jeezo.

As an aside, I preferred it when they had the wee roofed terracing along the side of the pitch. I've been in there as both a home and away Fan.

@hibs.net private member
    It was half-time before I remembered that the jacket I was wearing had a hood inside the collar. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Alloa deserve to be in the same league as us as both teams football ability dictate that. However it's not to much to ask clubs to have some sort of covering from the weather. We expect the cold but to be forced to stand in driving rain and freezing cold and to pay for the privilege is wrong.

I like many Hibs supporters no longer live in Edinburgh but still follow Hibs. I just don't get that you must support your nearest club. Supporting a team is made up of many elements, location may be one of them but it's not the be all and end all.
    If that was in reply to me, I never said that you must follow your local team. I dont!! But over the years it has become the norm around here, and many other towns, to be an OF "FAN" you know the ones, buy a strip each year for themselves and all the family but never ever go to a game. Back in the day a % of these people would have gone to watch their local team but sadly no more

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Honestly, that much? Jeezo.

As an aside, I preferred it when they had the wee roofed terracing along the side of the pitch. I've been in there as both a home and away Fan.
    Me too. I remember being in The Recs when Alloa played Celtic in the cup and there were 11,000 in!!
    Yep about 400k for the most up to date plastic stuff. They have been in touch with Alloa rugby club to see what help can be given as with the rugby on board it opens up more grants

Anyone that goes/doesn't go to support their team because of the facilities is a tad weird IMO.

We are playing at '****ty' wee grounds like Cowdenbeath and Alloa because that is were we deserve to be playing. Don't blame Cowdenbeath and Alloa for getting soaked, blame our ***** chairman who employed an equally as ***** manager.

FWIW thought yesterday's crowd of what, 700 (?) was pisspoor. Pay weekend, easy journey by road and rail and a chance to go 4 points clear in 2nd.

@hibs.net private member
    If that was in reply to me, I never said that you must follow your local team. I dont!! But over the years it has become the norm around here, and many other towns, to be an OF "FAN" you know the ones, buy a strip each year for themselves and all the family but never ever go to a game. Back in the day a % of these people would have gone to watch their local team but sadly no more
    Was not a reply to you just a general point in following your local team. Even when I lived in Edinburgh it would have been debatable whether Hibs were my local team

"Brave hardy souls"...."well done"...."real fans"

Don't make me laugh

How about "bloody stupid"..."what were you thinking"

Normally if you plan to stand outside in an uncovered terrace at the Recreation Ground for 2 hours in the rain you can expect to get wet, if not soaked. This actually can be avoided by following a couple simple steps:

1. Don't be tight and pay the extra and sit in the covered stand;

or

2. Opt for waterproof clothing [this was invented some time ago so you don't get wet if caught in the rain].

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Anyone that goes/doesn't go to support their team because of the facilities is a tad weird IMO.

We are playing at '****ty' wee grounds like Cowdenbeath and Alloa because that is were we deserve to be playing. Don't blame Cowdenbeath and Alloa for getting soaked, blame our ***** chairman who employed an equally as ***** manager.

FWIW thought yesterday's crowd of what, 700 (?) was pisspoor. Pay weekend, easy journey by road and rail and a chance to go 4 points clear in 2nd.
    Grounds like Alloa and Cowdenbeath are one of the few reasons I'm enjoying this league. Beats the identikits of St Mirren, etc.

I'd say there was over a thousand Hibs fans there. The attendance was 2,024. We had 500 in the stand, and their home stand holds 400, and we definitely had more on the terraces than they did

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Green Diet View Post
    "Brave hardy souls"...."well done"...."real fans"

Don't make me laugh

How about "bloody stupid"..."what were you thinking"

Normally if you plan to stand outside in an uncovered terrace at the Recreation Ground for 2 hours in the rain you can expect to get wet, if not soaked. This actually can be avoided by following a couple simple steps:

1. Don't be tight and pay the extra and sit in the covered stand;

or

2. Opt for waterproof clothing [this was invented some time ago so you don't get wet if caught in the rain].
    1. You know the prices are the same for the terracing and the stand I take it?

2. My lad had waterproof clothing on and was still drenched underneath.

The weather didn't bother me in the slightest but what did was the fact I bought tickets for behind the goals for £18 during the week to then see a sign saying £16 at the game yesterday at the cash gate for the same area? What's all that about? Strange one

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Zero View Post
    The weather didn't bother me in the slightest but what did was the fact I bought tickets for behind the goals for £18 during the week to then see a sign saying £16 at the game yesterday at the cash gate for the same area? What's all that about? Strange one
    Don't worry, it was still £18 for walk ups. The £16 is for when Hibs, Hearts or Rangers aren't in town

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I sat in the Alloa gazebo today and felt pretty cold. Well done to the brave hardy souls that stood behind the goals in the cold driving rain for nearly 2 hours. I salute you all.
    well done to all the shoppers in Princes Street who braved the rain too.
    FFS.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I waved to Hermit Crab at half time, from my nice dry seat in the Gazebo. The water was running down his head and face. I was very disappointed that he didn't wave and smile back to me!

My arms were too heavy with the accumulation of water in my sleeves Billy. I did shout something to you.

Left by mutual consent!
    I was soaked but still not as bad as Cowdenbeath. However, at least at Cowdenbeath, I managed to keep my leopard-skin thong dry.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    My arms were too heavy with the accumulation of water in my sleeves Billy. I did shout something to you.
    I can lip read, boy

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I can lip read, boy

Haha I bet you can. When I leaned forward the water was running out the bottom of my jacket. It finally dried out at about half ten at night in the pub.

Have we really become so mollycoddled that we need to pat ourselves on the back and strike up medals for simply standing in a few raindrops? In my day one one swam through a Lake of stagnant urine, ducking under as missiles of jagged concrete rained down upon us, and that was simply to get to the pie stand. When the action started it really was all bets off. Fans nowadays don't know how easy they have it. I'd have 'em all lined up against the wall and have them shot, just after I had their teeth ripped out with pliers. That would teach them the REAL MEANING of supporting a team.