hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butcher watch

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to depress you. I have a modicum of football knowledge but as I've already said on this thread I was wrong. I wasn't the only one. It was painful watching what he did to our club, and painful being wrong. But while I'm certainly no footballing genius I don't think that I or others who made the same mistake are all lacking in knowledge of the game. Anyhoo, just glad we're moving in the right direction again.
    After the success Butcher had at Caley Thistle (and it was more than just one lucky season) I think everyone who wanted him at ER could be forgiven for thinking he would be an excellent choice to blow the cobwebs away and kick a few archies. Even acquaintances that support other teams (especially jambos) were hoping we wouldn't get him as they also thought he would be a good signing. Plenty of managers with good cv's have gone on to failure and vice versa. I wasn't too keen on Stubbs coming here so at least I'm consistent. I just think that with most supporters it is just a gut feeling we go by - sometimes it pans out sometimes not. In the meantime GGTTH.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    Of course not. Hearts and Rangers as well.
    I think you just proved my point.

I remember someone posting a link on here to his commentary on us beating the old huns in semi final penalty shoot out. IIRC, the consensus was he was a good commentator that made some insightful comments. I listened to some of the game yesterday and thought he was decent enough.

He was also a reasonably popular choice at the time. As well as being gutted/embarrassed/angry at what he did, I'm still genuinely shocked at how badly he got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eyed Hibs View Post
    I remember someone posting a link on here to his commentary on us beating the old huns in semi final penalty shoot out. IIRC, the consensus was he was a good commentator that made some insightful comments. I listened to some of the game yesterday and thought he was decent enough.

He was also a reasonably popular choice at the time. As well as being gutted/embarrassed/angry at what he did, I'm still genuinely shocked at how badly he got it wrong.
    I think Butcher understands the game. He's been involved in pro football for 30+ years so I'd be shocked if he hadn't picked anything up in that time.

I also think he has proven that with the right players and in the right environment he'll do ok. See Inverness and to a lesser extent Motherwell. His biggest issue at Hibs was not seeing what was staring him in the face: we didn't have the players to play the style he wanted to. Hoofing long balls into the corner when you have pacy strikers and wide players will work, it's crude but effective. Hoofing it into corners when you have guys like James Collins and Paul Heffernan up front and a mentally shattered Alex Harris on one wing and A N other out of position on the other is madness. The situations with the likes of McPake and Thomson was also bizarre. 2 guys who certainly had their best days behind them but would show a bit fight and heart left out whilst we persisted with the Nelsons, McGiverns and Haynes was baffling.

I'm not sure if it was stubborness, a genuine inability to identify problems and solutions or a complete '**** you we'll do it my way' mindset but he got it so wrong at Hibs it's unreal. The attitude of both him and Malpas since has just intesified the feeling they were one of the biggest mistakes the club made. At least one of them suggested they deserved more time and weren't given a chance. Delusional.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Of course not. Hearts and Rangers as well.

AND Celtic.

AND Dirty Leeds United.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think Butcher understands the game. He's been involved in pro football for 30+ years so I'd be shocked if he hadn't picked anything up in that time.

I also think he has proven that with the right players and in the right environment he'll do ok. See Inverness and to a lesser extent Motherwell. His biggest issue at Hibs was not seeing what was staring him in the face: we didn't have the players to play the style he wanted to. Hoofing long balls into the corner when you have pacy strikers and wide players will work, it's crude but effective. Hoofing it into corners when you have guys like James Collins and Paul Heffernan up front and a mentally shattered Alex Harris on one wing and A N other out of position on the other is madness. The situations with the likes of McPake and Thomson was also bizarre. 2 guys who certainly had their best days behind them but would show a bit fight and heart left out whilst we persisted with the Nelsons, McGiverns and Haynes was baffling.

I'm not sure if it was stubborness, a genuine inability to identify problems and solutions or a complete '**** you we'll do it my way' mindset but he got it so wrong at Hibs it's unreal. The attitude of both him and Malpas since has just intesified the feeling they were one of the biggest mistakes the club made. At least one of them suggested they deserved more time and weren't given a chance. Delusional.
    Excellent post. Nail on the head.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ipswich lost today GIRUY

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    AND Celtic.

AND Dirty Leeds United.
    Not whilst sexy Sol is there

Not whilst sexy Sol is there
    His defending yesterday against Watford anything but sexy.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Ipswich lost today GIRUY

Norwich for automatic promotion anaw GIFRUY BUTCHER.

Anyone know where his famous garden is, so we can "re-locate" it to Leith (tartan army at Wembley style)? After all, we bloody paid for it!!

Expert panellist? haahahahahaa don't make me laugh! The man is a shameless, useless clown of the highest order!

Don't care what he's doing nowadays anyway, I'm just glad he's nowhere near ER!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkey7 View Post
    Expert panellist? haahahahahaa don't make me laugh! The man is a shameless, useless clown of the highest order!

Don't care what he's doing nowadays anyway, I'm just glad he's nowhere near ER!
    The one thing he's not doing is managing a football club and it's likely to stay that way for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Ipswich lost today GIRUY
    That story you told me still gives me the shudders.

Hibs are playing a bounce game against the U20s and Kevin Thomson takes a ball in the midfield and ghosts past his marker before playing a gorgeous slide rule pass to Heffernan (I know!) in the box which he slams past the keeper. Butcher appears all red faced on the sidelines going utterly nuts screaming at the players "Put it in the corners, we need throw ins and corners!!"

No wonder Thommo hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    The one thing he's not doing is managing a football club and it's likely to stay that way for a long time.
    That's because he's been found out after the damage he caused at Hibs, even though he was sacked at several other clubs before rolling up at ER on the back of his one period of success at ICT, (which remains a bit of a mystery to me).

I think clubs will need to think long and hard before appointing that clown, plus his eejit sidekick is now "director of football" (lol) at Raith Rovers. Would Malpas walk away from that job to team up with "El Tel" again? Perhaps only at Ibrokes?
    Last edited by emerald green; 02-03-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Typo.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    On Sportscene tonight. Will be previewing the Hibs game shortly

First Team Breakthrough Hibtastic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Wonder what pat nevin thinks of him?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post

Switched it off when I saw him on tonight. Prepare to bore yourself to death listening to him.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibtastic View Post
    Wonder what pat nevin thinks of him?
    Did their paths cross at Motherwell at any point? Regardless I would imagine he thinks he's an absolute bell end. Like the rest of us

I'd love to punch him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    I'd love to punch him in the face.
    I second that.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I'll give him a hoof in the hee haws just for variety then.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Man is ****ing shameless. Declaring his love for Rangers at his heart. Should never been within 100 miles of Easter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Man is ****ing shameless. Declaring his love for Rangers at his heart. Should never been within 100 miles of Easter Road.
    Tarting himself for the hunnery job...shameless joke of a man with a face you would never tire of punching

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    The man is a ****bag. Beating Rangers in the play-offs would be amazing, beating them when managed by that **** would be a dream.

I hate him! The atmosphere when he does return to ER promises to be interesting.

Was having a nice evening until I saw Butcher and heard that squinty eyed muppet mention 1902 again. Blood pressure through the roof now

He actually gave me the boak tonight, then I thought of Stubbsy and a Scott Allan assist and I calmed down immediately. Think I might be allergic to Butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Was having a nice evening until I saw Butcher and heard that squinty eyed muppet mention 1902 again. Blood pressure through the roof now
    Feel sorry for pat sandwhiched in between those two twats.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Butcher managing Sevco would guarantee our promotion.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

this twat must be loaded he is never off the telly he turns my stomach