hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd spot

2nd spot

I now believe we will finish 2nd and will finish the second half of the season as the strongest team in the Leaugue.
    If we do that then I think we'll go up.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I now believe we will finish 2nd and will finish the second half of the season as the strongest team in the Leaugue.
    I think you're right. We just need to avoid self destructing if we have a bad result. I would say we'll win most of our remaining games, but not them all.
    Its time to get behind the team and drive us towards promotion.

United we stand here....

First things first, we must have the right attitude tomorrow. Alloa have surprised a few teams (including us) on their plastic pitch and they won away last week, so a high work rate from the kick off please. We are still underdogs for 2nd spot but all we can do is keep winning and hope Rangers slip up a few times.

Too many times we've not followed up a good result with a win.

We weren't playing tonight but it was a good result for us. Win tomorrow, which we should, and I'm pretty confident of getting second.

I've said for weeks if not months now we will finish 2nd and I stand by that.

I was very critical at the start of the season, and ultimately our slow start has cost us a shot at the league, but we have and are getting things right and have a more than decent chance of playing Premiership football again next season.

Sevco are still the overwhelming favourites for second spot.

Even if we win tomorrow, we could go into our subsequent league match two points behind them as they play two matches in that time.

If we can go into the match against them in three weeks' time, no more than a couple of points behind them, then I think we can feel more confident about finishing second.

At the moment, we're still the underdog.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post

Even if we win tomorrow, we could go into our subsequent league match two points behind them as they play two matches in that time.

If we can go into the match against them in three weeks' time, no more than a couple of points behind them, then I think we can feel more confident about finishing second.

Next few games very important.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post

Next few games very important.
    We really must take nine points from our next three games, heading into the match against them.

We are playing the three weakest teams in the league in those next three fixtures so we really need to make it count.

If we drop any points over the next three games, it's going to be difficult to finish second and we probably need to beat them again next month as well.

On current form we will finish about 10 points ahead of them, despite their games in hand (based on them getting 16 out of their last 30 points, and us getting 24 out of 30). In addition, I think we'll beat them again too. And they have a harder run in than us.

@hibs.net private member
    If we keep winning and hearts turn rangers over in a few weeks the other games in hand don't matter anymore.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    This , as long as we don't do a Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by portycabbage View Post
    On current form we will finish about 10 points ahead of them, despite their games in hand (based on them getting 16 out of their last 30 points, and us getting 24 out of 30). In addition, I think we'll beat them again too. And they have a harder run in than us.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very hopeful that we can finish above them and considering how the games against them have gone so far this season, I would be gutted to finish below them.

I just don't want us to get too far ahead of ourselves yet when we're only a point in front of them just now, having played two more games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very hopeful that we can finish above them and considering how the games against them have gone so far this season, I would be gutted to finish below them.

I just don't want us to get too far ahead of ourselves yet when we're only a point in front of them just now, having played two more games.
    I get your point but you need to calm down with this 'overwhelming favourites' chat! They are slight favourites based on their extra games maybe but not overwhelming favourites by a long shot

Quote Originally Posted by My Wife Camille View Post
    I get your point but you need to calm down with this 'overwhelming favourites' chat! They are slight favourites based on their extra games maybe but not overwhelming favourites by a long shot
    What can I say?

I went to the Sir Alex Ferguson school of mind games!

Surely we must be the favourites for second spot? We have all the momentum atm, being unbeaten since Falkirk away, they are on a poor run have won one of their last five games and their confidence must be very low, albeit one of the games coming against celtic. We have beaten them three times already this season. They have to play Hearts twice as well as us at Easter Road, where we have already trounced them this season.

For once, we should have confidence (but not arrogance). Tomorrow is a must win game and we need to show Alloa, along with all the other so-called "lesser sides" the respect they deserve between now and the end of the season.

I would say your cautious optimism is sensible, but I also think gung-ho pessimism is sensible for fans of the rangers.

I think they need a good lead over us in the next 3 weeks before we play each other to stand a chance of 2nd, as 6 of their last 9 are against Raith/QOTS/Falkirk/Yams/Us.
    Last edited by portycabbage; 27-02-2015 at 10:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    If we win the next three league games i'll start to believe we're going up.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    I think we have a very good chance of second but to me finishing the last few games of the season strongly is more important than where we finish. I want to go in to the play offs on the back of three or four good results and performances. If that takes us to second then great but I don't want to stumble over the line into second playing badly. Momentum will be everything, we have it just now and if we can keep it going we have to have a great chance of going up. Lots of hurdles before then though and the Cup could actually get in our way of promotion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hopefully we do get it but am wary - as the number of games left gets shorter, the number of 'incidents' benefitting rangers will get longer !!.

And if we do finish second, there's no guarantee its Rangers we'll be playing

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Finishing 2nd would be nice but I don't think it's as important as folk are making out. Despite some dodgy results against them I'm pretty confident we'd beat qots or falkirk over two legs. I also think the squad is for enough to deal with those extra games.

I think the last game against the rangers is massive though, if we beat them in that match it would be a massive psychological blow for them before the play offs, if they were to win though it would give them a lot of confidence were they to meet us in the play offs.

Im hopeful we will get 2nd but lets wait till after the rangers game and we will take it from there.
    I think the yams could be our problem. Can see them playing a lot of kids in their final couple of games.

I fear they will keep some kind of momentum aided by nufc loan plsyers.

But we've got to have belief and confidence.

If worst happens just hope we hold on to AS.

I don't think they will be aided by the NUFC loanees. Their management team has been atrocious and that's been everyone's (including Hearts) saving grace this season. You could put the best players currently playing in Scotland into their squad and the management team would still be clueless.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Anyone think McCall may be in charge if the Fans win the EGM?
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 28-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member semaj64's Avatar
    We should get the 2nd spot. as Stubbs has said before it is about confidence and not over confidence. He has the right attitude and got the players playing well to get us back to the SPL along with the fans backing
    It was never going to be easy to get out his league first time but I am certainly more optimistic about our return and staying n the SPL.

I've not paid any attention to the SPL this season and it shows. I've just looked at the table and can't believe Motherwell are bottom. There's every chance we could be facing them in any playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Too many times we've not followed up a good result with a win.

We weren't playing tonight but it was a good result for us. Win tomorrow, which we should, and I'm pretty confident of getting second.
    We need to be ruthless when we get the chance, right up to the end of the season. Today will not decide anything, but a 4 point lead will really heap the pressure on the Huns. Of course, no point getting 2nd if we think the job is half done and don't show up for the POs.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    I think King and the three bears are a cert at next Friday's meeting.

Director issues aside what can they do to improve Rangers team short term ?

1. Appoint a decent manager

2. Make emergency loan signings, but who from, players good enough to make a difference and their clubs willing to let them go on loan ?

3. Fans will be back big time and support will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Anyone think McCall may be in charge if the Fans win the EGM?
    Cringe every Friday night when he rocks up to analyse the latest Hunder-performance on BT Sport. Not so much an objective analysis of the match, more a blatant pitch for the manager's job.