hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tonight's games

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the ref will take the teams off tomorrow night when the "small minority" of The Ranger fans start singing their bigoted crap ?
    They have taken the necessary steps to prevent it so no.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I don't think 'coloured' is a term that people of colour take much issue with.
    Why would you?
    I think you would, if it was being used against you. What it's basically saying is 'not white', and with suggestions that it's something that's not the norm. The other, if you will.
    Also it harks back to the bad old days of widespread racism.
    And isn't really very descriptive anyway.

Signed,
    Paid up member of the PC brigade.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbytam View Post
    I think you would, if it was being used against you. What it's basically saying is 'not white', and with suggestions that it's something that's not the norm. The other, if you will.

Signed,
    Taken from "Show Racism The Red Card" Website.. Pretty much sums up your assessment.

Is it better to describe somebody as 'black' or 'coloured'?

Describing people as coloured, is old fashioned and comes from a time when black people were treated very unfairly, it is much better to use the term black.

There are lots of rumours that cause people to feel uncomfortable about saying black, but as a descriptive term it is absolutely fine, and is a term that has been chosen by and is used by black people.

Coloured was used to describe anybody who was not white, which may imply that to be white is ‘normal’ or default. This can contribute to racist ideas and behaviour, and if we consider it, every human has a skin colour, so technically we are all coloured.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Coloured!?

Feyenoord take banana's to alot of games. Always thought it was a Chelsea -Celery type thing.

Fun n games afterwards in Rotterdam tonight, especially after the events in Rome last week.
    Apparently they're getting ferried by trains to Amsterdam fortheir flights back to Italy.

UEFA should chuck Feyenoord out of the next euro comp. Utter ****bags of fans.

I'm sorry but I have to speak up for Nikki here, oconnors_strip. The disgraceful incidents on the pitch, that she was commenting on, surely greatly outweigh her use of the word "coloured"...? Maybe it's just me, but it's ironic on a thread where people are commenting on racism that some are taking more issue with one word someone has innocently used. How do you know the players were even black, incidently?

I work for one of the most PC organisations in the country and the thinking currently is the term 'person of colour' is the way forward. Go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to speak up for Nikki here, oconnors_strip. The disgraceful incidents on the pitch, that she was commenting on, surely greatly outweigh her use of the word "coloured"...? Maybe it's just me, but it's ironic on a thread where people are commenting on racism that some are taking more issue with one word someone has innocently used. How do you know the players were even black, incidently?

I work for one of the most PC organisations in the country and the thinking currently is the term 'person of colour' is the way forward. Go figure....
    I was only replying to the question would anyone take offence to it, which I think someone would. However, I wasn't meaning to make anyone feel bad for using a particular word.

In my opinion too much emphasis is placed on the words used, rather than the intent behind them, and it's how educated racists get away with discrimination, because they avoid specific words.

As I said, my main issue would be that it's fairly antiquated, and rather undescriptive.

Though out of interest what is a PC organisation?

Left by mutual consent!

True, but I'm pink. But not old-fashioned way of saying happy. O'Connors Strip obviously meant no offense.Maybe teams/players of Irish origin might want to walk off pitch in protest at Rangers fans bile. I would!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Signed,
    Sorry PC chum, but that is utter drivel. And you're not doing the rest of your brigade much of a favour.
    The term is not being 'used against' anyone. Certainly not in the post quoted. Not any more than describing someone as being 'tall' or 'short'.
    People of colour know that their skin is not white. Or peely-wally pink. People of colour use the term to describe themselves. It's not 'darkie', it's not n****r and it's not coon. It's colour. Nature. What in the name of **** can be offensive about that?

Variety. Spice ay life (to quote Irvine W).

I was only replying to the question would anyone take offence to it, which I think someone would. However, I wasn't meaning to make anyone feel bad for using a particular word.

In my opinion too much emphasis is placed on the words used, rather than the intent behind them, and it's how educated racists get away with discrimination, because they avoid specific words.

As I said, my main issue would be that it's fairly antiquated, and rather undescriptive.

Though out of interest what is a PC organisation?
    Apologies, it should have said 'PC' organisation. It is not my opinion of it.

Out of interest, what is "the PC brigade"?
    Last edited by FranckSuzy; 26-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Any links? Guardian reporting it was for objects thrown no racism/salutes etc they walked off for.

Out of interest, what is "the PC brigade"?
    The polis.

Quote Originally Posted by leither#1 View Post
    I would take Carzola and Sanchez at anfield the rest are imposters
    Oh my...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canongatehibs View Post
    Apparently they're getting ferried by trains to Amsterdam fortheir flights back to Italy.

UEFA should chuck Feyenoord out of the next euro comp. Utter ****bags of fans.
    Feyenoord should never of been allowed in Europe....their fans are horrific!
    Football in Netherlands has so many problems of the park....that is why they are not allowed to travel to a few away games in Eredivisie!

Full of bull**** too....they have had many good black players,but black players against them....rascist ****s!
    Hypocrisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Canongatehibs View Post
    Disgraceful scenes at Feyenoord. Roma walk off after racist behavior from the Dutch fans. Just noticed Nazi salutes from the Dutch too. Welcome to Europe 2015 !
    Roma did not walk off the park last nite, the ref took them off for the missiles that were thrown and in his eyes a conceived racist incident, now I never saw any film footage of the banana being thrown at a player, but Feyenoord have always (since the 80,s) taken blow up bananas to the game and are always thrown about the stadium , from what I gather in the press and UEFA themselves, there is no link between the banana and racism. Feyenoord from what I have seen and witnessed do not have a problem with racism, as it says in the press, it just happened that the banana landed pitchside at that time of play.
    Then again, theres always two sides.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=238333

Blog Entries
    I was delighted to see Celtic finally knocked out of European football last night. They've been useless and their lack of progress has been everybody else's fault except their own. Last night it was the referee who must have been incompetent, biased or corrupt ( according to Delilah ) to book seven Celtic players. I never saw the game but I've got a good enough grip on reality to suspect that the Celtic play had something to do with it. We've had a few weeks of being brainwashed by Delilah and the MSM telling us how brilliant they were becoming and even a suggestion that they could go on to win the Europa Cup. I'm glad they've been proved wrong and, while they'll probably go on to domestic success, I hope they don't get it all their own way, starting with a defeat to Aberdeen at the weekend.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I was delighted to see Celtic finally knocked out of European football last night. They've been useless and their lack of progress has been everybody else's fault except their own. Last night it was the referee who must have been incompetent, biased or corrupt ( according to Delilah ) to book seven Celtic players. I never saw the game but I've got a good enough grip on reality to suspect that the Celtic play had something to do with it. We've had a few weeks of being brainwashed by Delilah and the MSM telling us how brilliant they were becoming and even a suggestion that they could go on to win the Europa Cup. I'm glad they've been proved wrong and, while they'll probably go on to domestic success, I hope they don't get it all their own way, starting with a defeat to Aberdeen at the weekend.
    Got to be said have been really impressed by Celtic in the Inter games looked very fit and full of energy and no little ability. They were on the wrong end of decisions that they would get at Parkhead in a normal league game so little sympathy. Can see them absolutely hammering some teams between now and the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Some good pens so far.
    argos.jpg