hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFA and Qatar

SFA and Qatar

In today's Herald it states that a partnership with the 2022 World Cup hosts was agreed following a visit to Qatar by a delegation from the SFA. This comprised Stewart Regan, Campbell Ogilvie and, ahem, Rod Petrie.

"The Qatari FA have revealed they have now established close links with the SFA.

Vice-President Saud Abdulaziz al Mohannadi said, "We had excellent discussions with the Scottish FA delegation and we have many areas of common interest."

However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup. Very little progress has being made in changing matters and some workers have been there for many years, unable to regain their passports or obtain an exit visa.

In the ideal world I would have preferred it if the SFA had refused to have anything to do with this regime, as it's accepted by most people that awarding them the right to host the competition was a stitch-up. Only trouble is, if we qualify and we'd adopted this stance we'd likely have found it impossible to get accommodation and training facilities anywhere near the UAE.

It's a no-win situation and the threesome's collective arm has been pretty well twisted up their back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

When I read about this it was the shocking working conditions that sprang to mind.

What's the point in doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In today's Herald it states that a partnership with the 2022 World Cup hosts was agreed following a visit to Qatar by a delegation from the SFA. This comprised Stewart Regan, Campbell Ogilvie and, ahem, Rod Petrie.

"The Qatari FA have revealed they have now established close links with the SFA.

Vice-President Saud Abdulaziz al Mohannadi said, "We had excellent discussions with the Scottish FA delegation and we have many areas of common interest."

However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup. Very little progress has being made in changing matters and some workers have been there for many years, unable to regain their passports or obtain an exit visa.

In the ideal world I would have preferred it if the SFA had refused to have anything to do with this regime, as it's accepted by most people that awarding them the right to host the competition was a stitch-up. Only trouble is, if we qualify and we'd adopted this stance we'd likely have found it impossible to get accommodation and training facilities anywhere near the UAE.

It's a no-win situation and the threesome's collective arm has been pretty well twisted up their back.
    Watched the piece and it showed what passed for living quarters for these poor migrant slaves .in counties where there is so much wealth there really is no excuse apart from greed to treat the labour force like this ,but sadly every one is aware of it and turn a blind eye and the story will get forgotten about

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Watched the piece and it showed what passed for living quarters for these poor migrant slaves .in counties where there is so much wealth there really is no excuse apart from greed to treat the labour force like this ,but sadly every one is aware of it and turn a blind eye and the story will get forgotten about
    Saw a bit about it tonight, and it's like a step back in time regarding the safety issues for a start. It will probably end up with more deaths on construction with the new stadia, than actually happened between the 2 working Forth Bridges!. As for the living accomodations of the workforce, that is totally disgusting but the most unreal and absolutely abhorrent part is that companies can retain a person's passport, on a whim!.

FIFA obviously had no idea about conditions in Qatar before they awarded them the tournament, I'm sure if they had it would have gone elsewhere and I'm positive that money was the least of the awarding committees considerations. I am also convinced that now the Qatar government have been made aware of these terrible conditions, which I'm sure they knew nothing about, they will be moving heaven & earth to put things right.

Anyway I must go, the Rolls Royce has arrived to take me to my private jet, I'm spending the next few days on my private island with Natalie Dormer.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    FIFA obviously had no idea about conditions in Qatar before they awarded them the tournament, I'm sure if they had it would have gone elsewhere and I'm positive that money was the least of the awarding committees considerations. I am also convinced that now the Qatar government have been made aware of these terrible conditions, which I'm sure they knew nothing about, they will be moving heaven & earth to put things right.

Anyway I must go, the Rolls Royce has arrived to take me to my private jet, I'm spending the next few days on my private island with Natalie Dormer.
    ok, have fun. meanwhile back at the ranch......the workers will get out of their cramped and dismal surroundings, turn out for work, fall into bed and start another day. although, this government you mention, which is run by a few that can jump into THEIR Rolls Royce, and nip doon tae the shop for a half loaf anytime, will probably consider what you have said.

However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup
    Yet they don't report the same in this country....Zero hour contracts & minimum wage!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Why do the SFA need to be sending a delegation out there 8 years before the competition is due to take place? Given that we've not qualified for a World Cup since 1998 you'd think they'd have better things to do.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    ok, have fun. meanwhile back at the ranch......the workers will get out of their cramped and dismal surroundings, turn out for work, fall into bed and start another day. although, this government you mention, which is run by a few that can jump into THEIR Rolls Royce, and nip doon tae the shop for a half loaf anytime, will probably consider what you have said.
    Ye gods mate ....... ever heard of sarcasm.

Ye gods mate ....... ever heard of sarcasm.
    of course I have, and noticed yours immediately but felt compelled to register the facts that are actually happening. expected your quick response, and applaud it.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    of course I have, and noticed yours immediately but felt compelled to register the facts that are actually happening. expected your quick response, and applaud it.
    Fair enough mate

Leaving the subtle approach behind here's my blunt view of it. Its a bloody disgrace that FIFA even considered a bid from a medieval backwater like Qatar, no matter how much money the place floats on. Proof if it was ever needed that FIFA under Blatter is corrupt to its very core.

Its an utter embarrassment that the SFA is trying to get cozy with them, we should be leading the fight to get the tournament moved not making it look like we endorse it. Reports about working conditions were circulating a year ago and still little has changed and nothing at all on non stadium sites. I for one don't want to see Scotland run out on a pitch built on the bodies of dead workers who were little better than slave labour. They might as well award the 2026 world cup to North Korea or whatever part of the world ISIS are in control of by then.

Fair enough mate

Leaving the subtle approach behind here's my blunt view of it. Its a bloody disgrace that FIFA even considered a bid from a medieval backwater like Qatar, no matter how much money the place floats on. Proof if it was ever needed that FIFA under Blatter is corrupt to its very core.

Its an utter embarrassment that the SFA is trying to get cozy with them, we should be leading the fight to get the tournament moved not making it look like we endorse it. Reports about working conditions were circulating a year ago and still little has changed and nothing at all on non stadium sites. I for one don't want to see Scotland run out on a pitch built on the bodies of dead workers who were little better than slave labour. They might as well award the 2026 world cup to North Korea or whatever part of the world ISIS are in control of by then.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Why do the SFA need to be sending a delegation out there 8 years before the competition is due to take place? Given that we've not qualified for a World Cup since 1998 you'd think they'd have better things to do.
    Part of the supposed attraction of the Qatar bid was that the majority of the stadiums were to be dismantled after the tournament and rebuilt in poor mostly African countries for free ... what else can a country of just over 2,000,000 people do with 9 brand new stadiums all with a capacity of over 40,000

Given the pending troubles the SFA are going to have with Hampden perhaps they think they can get a ready made replacement if they kiss the right backsides. The more I think about it the more I think I might not be far off the mark.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 24-02-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Large part of SFA blazers is networking. I personally don't have a problem with them kissing ***** of severely wealthy rich and influential people such as Qatar.

Morally not too clever but in the harsh world of business it's probably beneficial

Sure they were just finding out, where the beer stalls would be, should we qualify.

On bbc now. Saying that tournament to be played November / December.
    Quatar never mentioned this at the time.
    Uefa going nuts as their CL is full flow at this time

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Absolute shambles.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BT58 View Post
    On bbc now. Saying that tournament to be played November / December.
    Quatar never mentioned this at the time.
    Uefa going nuts as their CL is full flow at this time
    I'm sure the CL can't be moved for one season, it's not as if they don't have enough notice anyway

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the interests of balance, the report actually said at its conclusion that none of the stadiums are being built using slave labour.

Still an absolute outrage that the WC Finals are there at all though.

First Team Breakthrough KazHibby's Avatar

Aberdeen happy with Qatar

Taken from Qatar Stars League website News and Features

DOHA: On Monday 23rd of February at Al Bidda Tower, the headquarters of the Qatar Stars League (QSL), the CEO of Aberdeen F.C. Mr. Duncan Fraser and Vice President Mr. George Yule met with Mr. Khalifa Al Haroon the QSL’s Executive Director of Marketing & Communications. They also met with Operations and Commercial representatives from the QSL.

The aim of the meeting was to build and fosters relations with Qatari clubs. In addition Aberdeen F.C. was also keen to consider the Aspire Zone facilities as a possible warm weather training venue for their players during the harsh Scottish winters.

The Scottish delegation will be in Qatar for another two days where they will visit the training facilities at the now famous Aspire Academy as well as Lekhwiya Sports Club, who last season were crowned champions of the QSL. They will look for best practice examples and possible ideas as they develop their own new training facilities in Scotland.

The Aberdeen delegation will also visit two other QSL clubs. Firstly, they will visit Qatar Sports Club and then Al Arabi Sports Club. Then they will be taken to the renowned Aspetar - Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital which is located in the Aspire Zone to see how elite sports professionals are treated and rehabilitated.

Mr. Al Haroon said, “We welcome Aberdeen F.C. to Qatar and are privileged to have had the opportunity to both share our knowledge and experiences with the famous Scottish Club and to learn from the way that they operate. One of our goals is to learn from different clubs around the world in order to help the Qatar Stars League and local clubs constantly improve and grow.”

What date is the away friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Brazil last year was the same with regards to slave labour like conditions, with 8 deaths building the 12 stadiums.

Also well documented the entire country of Dubai was pretty much built on slave labour. Don't know why anyone thought Qatar would be any different...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

2022 Qatari World Cup to be in November/December

I see a FIFA taskforce has published the recommendations that the Qatari World Cup should take place in the winter months to deal with the temperature concerns...

Right in the final stages of the Champions League/Europa League group stages, just as many European leagues are gearing up for their winter breaks, just as the League Cup and National Cups get to their latter and initial stages respectively.

Whilst I'm aware that's a very Euro-centric view of things but given that the majority of teams are European, it stands to reason that there'll be a huge amount of complaints about any such move (which I'm aware, hasn't been officially made yet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31600194
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    It's taken them over 4 years to get to this point. Qatar was awarded WC in 2010.

No reason given why tournament can't be in January, which would reduce impact on European leagues. I think this is a power play by FIFA, and they want to screw over UEFA.

We should all boycott the WC, starting with Russia in 2018. FIFA is corrupt and needs to be faced down.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    It's taken them over 4 years to get to this point. Qatar was awarded WC in 2010.

No reason given why tournament can't be in January, which would reduce impact on European leagues. I think this is a power play by FIFA, and they want to screw over UEFA.

We should all boycott the WC, starting with Russia in 2018. FIFA is corrupt and needs to be faced down.
    Couldnt agree more I think they have somehow managed to outdo even the Olympics in terms of corruption. Incredible to be honest. Good that the fans were considered in this farcical decision.

Hopefully Scotland has a summer league by then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post

They wont put in January-Feb as thats when the african nations cup is played. Also would clash with the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Hopefully Scotland has a summer league by then anyway.
    Im totally against that idea. Would rather spend my saturdays with no Hibs games in the sun on holiday or at least being in good weather and being able to enjoy summer than having no hibs games in winter. The football is my favourite part of the festive season.

@hibs.net private member
    European clubs supplied 75% of the players at the Brazilian World Cup. If the European leagues and clubs reject this and boycott it would bring FIFA to its knees