hibs.net Messageboard

Gennady Golovkin

I didn't know much about this guy until reading the build up to his fight last night which he was very impressive in.

The suggestion is that neither Cotto or Froch would be particularly keen to fight him and so he may face Andre Ward next.

Any boxing fans on here seen more of him than me?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know much about this guy until reading the build up to his fight last night which he was very impressive in.

The suggestion is that neither Cotto or Froch would be particularly keen to fight him and so he may face Andre Ward next.

Any boxing fans on here seen more of him than me?
    There was a thread on the PM board about the fight last night.

He's a rare breed; a monster pucher who is also technically superb. That's probably a result of coming through the Eastern European/West Asian Olympic programmes and then having his skills fine tuned as a pro at Big Bear.

I don't blame Cotto or Froch for not fighting him. Neither has anything to prove and have earned the right to a couple of gimmes at the end of their careers, they've had their wars. Ward is another superb fighter technically and a match up between him and Golovkin could be superb. Ward needs a fight soon as he's been out of action since 2013 in a contractual dispute

I'd go as far as to say Golovkin is as close to unbeatable as there is in boxing at the moment. He's got the lot really.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There was a thread on the PM board about the fight last night.

He's a rare breed; a monster pucher who is also technically superb. That's probably a result of coming through the Eastern European/West Asian Olympic programmes and then having his skills fine tuned as a pro at Big Bear.

I don't blame Cotto or Froch for not fighting him. Neither has anything to prove and have earned the right to a couple of gimmes at the end of their careers, they've had their wars. Ward is another superb fighter technically and a match up between him and Golovkin could be superb. Ward needs a fight soon as he's been out of action since 2013 in a contractual dispute

I'd go as far as to say Golovkin is as close to unbeatable as there is in boxing at the moment. He's got the lot really.
    Apologies PB, totally forgot about this until watching Frampton tonight! Cheers for the reply though - will be interesting to see what happens!

What did you think of Frampton tonight? Looked good to me, although Avalos barely threw a right-hand after he appeared to injure his shoulder. Hopefully the Quigg fight gets sorted asap.

GGG is the best middleweight on the planet by miles but he would be an underdog against Ward. GGG is not particularly big at the weight and has even hinted he could make the light middle limit , Ward on the other hand is a huge Super Middle who could make Light Heavyweight. There becomes a point when the size difference can't be overcome by skill and this would be the case with GGG and Ward Imo. Conversely it's the same reason Mayweather won't consider a fight which GGG which some people have been calling for.

Frampton is a fantastic fighter. Great engine and skill set , can take a punch and has concussive power. Quigg is also good but would fancy Frampton to stop him late. Neither of them would get close to Rigondeux though.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 12-03-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Fighting tonight . Box nation

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Fighting tonight . Box nation
    Cheers for the heads up - although I doubt I'll stay awake til 02:00!

The Box Nation website includes a trail of his "greatest hits" which is definitely worth a watch - http://www.boxnation.com/

Calzaghe Eubank fight on right now on box nation from 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Cheers for the heads up - although I doubt I'll stay awake til 02:00!

The Box Nation website includes a trail of his "greatest hits" which is definitely worth a watch - http://www.boxnation.com/
    Golovkin will prob be on a bit later than 2am I would imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Golovkin will prob be on a bit later than 2am I would imagine
    Definitely won't manage that then!

Will try get it tomorrow - hoping he wins as I like his style.

Yeah he's exciting to watch like

Absolutely destroyed David Lemieux in 8 rounds last night. It was both brilliant and painful to watch, brutal.

Runour that he could fight the winner of Cotto v Alvarez but they would be either brave or stupid to get in the ring with him. He looks unstoppable.

First Team Breakthrough
    Golovkin shared the bill with the best boxer in the world , the brilliant Nicaraguan roman gonzales

Testimonial Due
    Stayed up to watch the fight last night, GGG is a fantastic fighter. Really exciting to watch as his style means that he takes a fair bit of punishment as well. He controlled the fight with his excellent jab last night and unloaded some excellent shots on Lemieux including that lethal body shot in the 5th which sent him to the floor - bit naughty hitting him when he was down though, he really should have had a point deducted for that because he had plenty of time to pull out. Fair play to David Lemieux as well, he didn't ever give up despite the huge punishment he was taking. Kept throwing punches until the ref, rightfully imo, called a halt to the fight in the 8th.

I think GGG will fight the winner of Cotto v Canelo next, wins that and he's a serious contender for pound for pound king imo. Exciting time for boxing.