hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibernian serve that part of Edinburgh and yes they do compete with hibs. Every fan they have is one less for us. We have and always will be a community club.
    My son is a ST holder at ER but chose to go to Spartans game on Sat rather than Hibs as he plays for them. A further 2499 chose Ainslie Park as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just a wee reminder that Spartans played a then Premier League Livingston a few years back and lost 0-4. They held them until 5 minutes into the 2nd half and were a toe length away from taking the lead.

A couple of years later they held a then 1st division St Mirren 0-0 at home and earned a replay.

It's a good draw and I wouldn't suggest otherwise but we need to be professional about it. The chat about Hampden attendance etc is well premature and either Spartans or Berwick will need to be afforded the utmost respect.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hibernian serve that part of Edinburgh and yes they do compete with hibs. Every fan they have is one less for us. We have and always will be a community club.
    Well we've sunk to a low if we think Spartans are competition.

Every fan they have is one less for us? You're on the wind up aren't you? You don't think that any of our pink chums, or rugby loving chums are going along the Ainslie Park, do you?

And stop all this guff about Hibs always being a community club - it's a commercial organisation, that has shown some social conscience over the years. Spartans ethos is to give something to the community through a love of the game, they are about developing self esteem, and giving people in North Edinburgh something to be proud of.

No reason Edinburgh can't support both.

I was at Ainslie Park on Saturday, but will go back to Easter Road as well. It was refreshing to be free of mentalist thinking like yours.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post

Every fan they have is one less for us? You're on the wind up aren't you? You don't think that any of our pink chums, or rugby loving chums are going along the Ainslie Park, do you?

And stop all this guff about Hibs always being a community club - it's a commercial organisation, that has shown some social conscience over the years. Spartans ethos is to give something to the community through a love of the game, they are about developing self esteem, and giving people in North Edinburgh something to be proud of.

I was at Ainslie Park on Saturday, but will go back to Easter Road as well. It was refreshing to be free of mentalist thinking like yours.
    I agree

With regards to the Spartsns game how was it, any gid fitbaw on offer ? How much to get in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Just a wee reminder that Spartans played a then Premier League Livingston a few years back and lost 0-4. They held them until 5 minutes into the 2nd half and were a toe length away from taking the lead.

A couple of years later they held a then 1st division St Mirren 0-0 at home and earned a replay.

It's a good draw and I wouldn't suggest otherwise but we need to be professional about it. The chat about Hampden attendance etc is well premature and either Spartans or Berwick will need to be afforded the utmost respect.
    I was at that game courtesy of a former Spartans player & work colleague (Dougie McConnachie) Spartans put on a good show & were more than a match v St Mirren ..think they lost the replay 4-1 ..

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    I just don't get this Spartans love in. They are pulling fans from us and are based in an area which is a hibs stronghold. Just look at the amount of kids that where at their game. They should be at Easter Road.
    No Spartans love in from me ETD . Hope we hump them if they manage to get past BR. Be good to have a derby without the stench of urine and vile that comes from the Gorgie knuckle dragging puddle drinkers .

Ggtth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero76 View Post
    I agree

With regards to the Spartsns game how was it, any gid fitbaw on offer ? How much to get in ?
    It was £12 to get in (prices up for the tie). Football was OK, I'd say Spartans were the fitter of the two teams, but there's nothing there to worry Hibs (apart from the fact it's the Scottish Cup!).

It was an enjoyable day out, highlight was the kids in the Spartan Army who summed up what loving the football is about. Full of joy throughout the game.

It was football, but not as we know it, and I get the impression the main ethos around the club is more about people enjoying the sport than the club winning things.

This. Quarter final is potentially an easier draw, but Saturday was no walk in the park.

I expect Berwick will be strong favourites for the replay, and same rules apply - they have 1 or 2 ex-hibbies playing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I was at that game courtesy of a former Spartans player & work colleague (Dougie McConnachie) Spartans put on a good show & were more than a match v St Mirren ..think they lost the replay 4-1 ..
    3-0 in the replay.

They missed an absolute sitter in the dying seconds of the 1st game to win it.

I was signed with Spartans at the time and the buzz around the place during those 2 cup runs was amazing. I'm glad they are potentially playing Hibs in the sense it's the really big game they deserve. The flip side is I'd love to have been able to support them in a quarter final but it's Hibs so no ****ing chance.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    My son is a ST holder at ER but chose to go to Spartans game on Sat rather than Hibs as he plays for them. A further 2499 chose Ainslie Park as well.
    Can someone tell me where exactly is Spartan's ground?

Sorry PDR but does this not support the argument others are making. If you are a ST holder with a cup top up then fair play to you, but if not then you chose Spartans over Hibs, meaning that Hibs were £15 down on the deal and had one less supporter behind them. That sounds like Hibs being adversely affected by Spartans to me.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 09-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I also reckon that this team we have now are better than the ones that reached the finals in 2012 and 2013.
    Could not agree more. God willing we can break this curse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Sorry PDR but does this not support the argument others are making. If you are a ST holder with a cup top up then fair play to you, but if not then you chose Spartans over Hibs, meaning that Hibs were £15 down on the deal and had one less supporter behind them.
    I thought Hibs would be able to live with my non - attendance, whereas I thought my local community might get a massive boost from a decent crowd at Ainslie Park. If Hibs had been in more danger in their tie, I might have seen things differently.

In fact they can probably carry the (?) 500 or so Hibs fans at the match who are a bit disillusioned by how mental professional football has become. We're supposed to enjoy going to the football, not see it as a duty or task that needs to be done.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Sorry to disappoint all you Spartans fans as its odds on we'll be playing Berwick in the next round.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    Could not agree more. God willing we can break this curse.
    You'll be quoting Kierkegaard next Mr. Renton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Sorry to disappoint all you Spartans fans as its odds on we'll be playing Berwick in the next round.
    You seen Berwick play? No great shakes and a tad unfit.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Can someone tell me where exactly is Spartan's ground?
    Next to Ainslie Park

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    You seen Berwick play? No great shakes and a tad unfit.
    On paper they're still a class above a Lowland league team and with home advantage I fully expect them to progress to the next round.

Ahhhhhhh this is it. It's happening.

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    As much as I wish the Spartans well, my support will always be 100% Hibernian. If they get by Berwick Rangers, they will just be another team to defeat in my mind.

GGTTH

You'll be quoting Kierkegaard next Mr. Renton.
    I will save Soren for the final if we get there and win. I don't want to spoil you it is not good for your health.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    I didn't realise until the weekend that Colin Cameron is player/manager at Berwick and was on the bench against Spartans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    On paper they're still a class above a Lowland league team and with home advantage I fully expect them to progress to the next round.
    Yes, home advantage will count for a lot, but it will also depend on who each team has available.

I will save Soren for the final if we get there and win. I don't want to spoil you it is not good for your health.
    Thanks, I'll get right onto Wiki now, to work out if you're insulting me or not. I know Focault about philosophy anyway.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

I was at the Livvi game too. Fully expect Berwick to progress, but anything can happen in the cup. Berwick got a few Ex Hibees in the squad, who will raise their game against us

Thanks, I'll get right onto Wiki now, to work out if you're insulting me or not. I know Focault about philosophy anyway.
    No insult there my friend I thought you were being light hearted.

Blog Entries
    No insult there my friend I thought you were being light hearted.
    I was indeed, but my knowledge of Kierkegaard doesn't go any further than Trainspotting.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I thought Hibs would be able to live with my non - attendance, whereas I thought my local community might get a massive boost from a decent crowd at Ainslie Park. If Hibs had been in more danger in their tie, I might have seen things differently.

In fact they can probably carry the (?) 500 or so Hibs fans at the match who are a bit disillusioned by how mental professional football has become. We're supposed to enjoy going to the football, not see it as a duty or task that needs to be done.
    Totally with you. Spartans are a club that are very much involved in the local community. I think Hibs are big enough nit to have to worry about their crowd sizes- ridiculous and petty nonsense from some. Christ, I thought I was a moaning old fud, there's hope yet.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

A comparable game would probably be when we played that junior outfit a few years back. I think we ended up pretty comfortable winners but they made life difficult for a while and they possibly even hit the post at nil nil?

Irvine meadow was it?

Great draw!

Best chance we could have got for a trip to hampden but lets not get carried away and think all we need to do is simply show up on the day. I've supported hibs long enough to know that many a time when we have gotten too ahead of ourselves its ended up blowing up in our faces. We need to give Spartans/Berwick every bit of respect, they will be right up for it as well and be looking to cause an upset.

Lets sell as many tickets as possible and try make it a special occasion. A large crowd getting right behind the team!