hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    General sale should only be for tickets behind the goals miles away. ST holders get the sides
    Tbh I won't need my 6 tickets but I'll probably buy them anyway just so I have a bit room either side of me.

I've become accustomed to having plenty room to spread out at ER the last few seasons so don't see why that should change at Hampden just because the stay aways decide they fancy it again......
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Tbh I won't need my 6 tickets but I'll probably buy them anyway just so I have a bit room either side of me.

I've become accustomed to having plenty room to spread out at ER the last few seasons so don't see why that should change at Hampden just because the stay aways decide they fancy it again......
    Yip. The fewer fans we take the better.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkey7 View Post
    Exactly. Some fans already seem to be making plans for hampden. I'm all for being confident and up for it but lets just not get too carried away. If anything it will only make Spartans/Berwick more hungry and more motivated to beat us as its a bit disrespectful to simply write them off and put ourselves into the semi-finals before a ball has even been kicked.
    Nonsense. The trophy is in the bag. Say it like you mean it and be proud; 'this is our year biscuits you little sniveling yam welt'

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

, then use the 6 stubs to get 6 briefs for the final so you've plenty room again.......

, then use the 6 stubs to get 6 briefs for the final so you've plenty room again.......
    Stubbsy Stubbsy ......

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    I thought Hibs would be able to live with my non - attendance, whereas I thought my local community might get a massive boost from a decent crowd at Ainslie Park. If Hibs had been in more danger in their tie, I might have seen things differently.

In fact they can probably carry the (?) 500 or so Hibs fans at the match who are a bit disillusioned by how mental professional football has become. We're supposed to enjoy going to the football, not see it as a duty or task that needs to be done.
    Fair enough FDR .... But that's a different argument. The question was, would the rise of another professional club in north Edinburgh affect Hibs? Its no secret that Spartans goal is to become part of the "mental" professional game is it not?

If of your estimated 500 Hibs fans at Ainslie Park on Saturday 400 of them see Spartans as an alternative to giving up football altogether then fine I suppose. But if the remaining 100 have switched allegiance from Hibs to Spartans for whatever reason then the case is made for Spartans being a bad thing for Hibs in the long run.

Nobody has a duty to go to football or even follow a particular team if they don't want to. But its the very essence of being a fan that if you have chosen to follow a club your loyalty is to that club above all others, no matter what. That's the thing that stops us being just another punter like customers at TESCO ..... I know clubs take the piss out of fans by using that loyalty by the way I'm not that daft.

Hibs as far as I can see cant afford to be losing fans to anybody, especially a potential rival on our own doorstep. If Hibs average this season is 9,000 over 18 games that means that 9,000 folk watched Hibs 18 times ..... not that Hibs have 162,000 fans. In view of that, if Spartans aim is to go pro ( and it is ) which by definition means they will be competing with Hibs for support, then I don't care if they are run by Mother Theresa and use their gate money to feed orphans and rescue puppies, I want them to fail.

Sorry to rant, but that's my view of it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Fair enough FDR .... But that's a different argument. The question was, would the rise of another professional club in north Edinburgh affect Hibs? Its no secret that Spartans goal is to become part of the "mental" professional game is it not?

If of your estimated 500 Hibs fans at Ainslie Park on Saturday 400 of them see Spartans as an alternative to giving up football altogether then fine I suppose. But if the remaining 100 have switched allegiance from Hibs to Spartans for whatever reason then the case is made for Spartans being a bad thing for Hibs in the long run.

Nobody has a duty to go to football or even follow a particular team if they don't want to. But its the very essence of being a fan that if you have chosen to follow a club your loyalty is to that club above all others, no matter what. That's the thing that stops us being just another punter like customers at TESCO ..... I know clubs take the piss out of fans by using that loyalty by the way I'm not that daft.

Hibs as far as I can see cant afford to be losing fans to anybody, especially a potential rival on our own doorstep. If Hibs average this season is 9,000 over 18 games that means that 9,000 folk watched Hibs 18 times ..... not that Hibs have 162,000 fans. In view of that, if Spartans aim is to go pro ( and it is ) which by definition means they will be competing with Hibs for support, then I don't care if they are run by Mother Theresa and use their gate money to feed orphans and rescue puppies, I want them to fail.

This.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

10/10

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK then, I won't go again.

Spartans are creating a niche for themselves however Meadowbank used to be down the road and it made no difference to us. The choice in Edinburgh is between Hibs and Hearts and they are the real competition. Dundee Utd are probably bigger than Dundee these days because they have performed so much better than Dundee over the last 30 years. Glory hunters

We have held on to our support, despite some pretty lean years, but ultimately it is about success on the park and if we achieve that we won't need to worry about Hearts, let alone Spartans.

By the by lets hope it is Spartan's in the next round. Much more exciting and better attended than a game v Berwick?

Does anybody know what's happening re the Hibs kids day scheduled for mar7th. We were meant to be playing livi that day but it seems someone forgot about it being scottish quarter final day.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Does anybody know what's happening re the Hibs kids day scheduled for mar7th. We were meant to be playing livi that day but it seems someone forgot about it being scottish quarter final day.
    Surely leave it as a Hibs Kids Day, pretty good opportunity for a big crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    They should do that definatly

Hopefully a big crowd and big atmosphere. Big chance o get ourselves back to hampden so lets make it an occassion

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

They can't as not all families will have the cup top up.

OK then, I won't go again.

.... Ach, that's not what I meant .... Before I had a partner who would cut my dangly bits off if I was at football every Saturday I used to pop down to watch the Fairydean when Hibs were away. My only concern is when folk choose to go elsewhere instead of Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

I know what you're saying here, but if Tesco treat their punters better than a football club treats the fans - and mostly they do - the question has to arise as to when and at what point a fan is justified in walking away? .... or going elsewhere? ... or even choosing to follow another sport entirely?

And wanting every potential or actual rival to 'fail' - lose games, get relegated, go into administration, cease to exist as if they never had been? - apply that to all Hibs' rivals and Hibs end up the only team in the league and then where are we?

Though I do agree that another League football team in Edinburgh could be seen as being one too many.

Have the QF match date/times been announced yet ? If not, any idea when we'll know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Have the QF match date/times been announced yet ? If not, any idea when we'll know ?
    Once we know who we are playing so that's after the berwick spartans replay

Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    Spartans are creating a niche for themselves however Meadowbank used to be down the road and it made no difference to us. The choice in Edinburgh is between Hibs and Hearts and they are the real competition. Dundee Utd are probably bigger than Dundee these days because they have performed so much better than Dundee over the last 30 years. Glory hunters

We have held on to our support, despite some pretty lean years, but ultimately it is about success on the park and if we achieve that we won't need to worry about Hearts, let alone Spartans.

By the by lets hope it is Spartan's in the next round. Much more exciting and better attended than a game v Berwick?
    I agree with all of that, but it has to be said that Spartans appear to be very well run and have a long range plan for steady growth, with a view to being a national leagues club. I have a lot of respect for the folk running them and that worries me. If in the next 10 years they attract 500 adults who take 500 kids with them who were, or could have been, Hibs supporters that at current FF lower prices would cost Hibs at £405 for an adult and £25 for a kid £215,000. If all the kids buy a strip at £30 and half the adults at £40 that's another £25,000. Chuck in sundries like food & drink and its more. That's why I cant see Spartans as just a cuddly distraction.

Spartans are creating a niche for themselves however Meadowbank used to be down the road and it made no difference to us.
    It is hardly surprising given that Meadowbank attracted crowds of under 200 towards the end. Of those fifty or sixty would be away fans, another 60 had comps and the remainder spent the match chanting 'Blobby Out'.

I don't think that Meadowbank dented the Hibs support even when they were in Division One.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I know what you're saying here, but if Tesco treat their punters better than a football club treats the fans - and mostly they do - the question has to arise as to when and at what point a fan is justified in walking away? .... or going elsewhere? ... or even choosing to follow another sport entirely?

And wanting every potential or actual rival to 'fail' - lose games, get relegated, go into administration, cease to exist as if they never had been? - apply that to all Hibs' rivals and Hibs end up the only team in the league and then where are we?

Though I do agree that another League football team in Edinburgh could be seen as being one too many.
    I hate the thought of any club going down the pan ( yes even those two ) and if you can find my comments on the Dundee situation a while back you will see I'm being truthful. I have no problem with new clubs either and wish ICT drew bigger crowds. But the potential Spartans situation is different ..... I doubt any club would be happy to see a new profession club setting up in their traditional catchment area. We have a hard enough time keeping kids out of the clutches of the Yams, the ugly sisters and the EPL without another spanner being thrown into the works.

Blog Entries
    I agree with all of that, but it has to be said that Spartans appear to be very well run and have a long range plan for steady growth, with a view to being a national leagues club. I have a lot of respect for the folk running them and that worries me. If in the next 10 years they attract 500 adults who take 500 kids with them who were, or could have been, Hibs supporters that at current FF lower prices would cost Hibs at £405 for an adult and £25 for a kid £215,000. If all the kids buy a strip at £30 and half the adults at £40 that's another £25,000. Chuck in sundries like food & drink and its more. That's why I cant see Spartans as just a cuddly distraction.
    You've clearly not seen the Spartans catering arrangements!

I take your point, and given the way that Spartans are involving the kids in the area, giving them something to belong to, I can see that they will attract more people to games in future.

I just don't see them as a long term competitor to the big clubs - what they will be is a conveyor belt of talent as they have a very good development programme. They are based in an area where a lot of kids don't have parents who can take them to the likes of East Mains, and they are to be applauded for promoting the game as a way to build self esteem and a sense of community.

It is the way ahead for Scottish football as the way our game is going we really need to see it as being the equivalent to the likes of the LoI, rather than a competitor to the likes of the Premiership or La Liga. Where that leaves Hibs in the long term, I don't know.

Just now, they are no more a threat to Hibs than junior teams - it's just that they operate in a city (albeit a part of the city that is "outside the city walls").

You've clearly not seen the Spartans catering arrangements!

I take your point, and given the way that Spartans are involving the kids in the area, giving them something to belong to, I can see that they will attract more people to games in future.

I just don't see them as a long term competitor to the big clubs - what they will be is a conveyor belt of talent as they have a very good development programme. They are based in an area where a lot of kids don't have parents who can take them to the likes of East Mains, and they are to be applauded for promoting the game as a way to build self esteem and a sense of community.

It is the way ahead for Scottish football as the way our game is going we really need to see it as being the equivalent to the likes of the LoI, rather than a competitor to the likes of the Premiership or La Liga. Where that leaves Hibs in the long term, I don't know.

Just now, they are no more a threat to Hibs than junior teams - it's just that they operate in a city (albeit a part of the city that is "outside the city walls").
    Time will tell I suppose .... I'm not worried by current Spartans, future Spartans could be another matter.

Just imagine what state we'll be in if 300 Spartans descend on ER on 1/4 Final Day!

Blog Entries
    Time will tell I suppose .... I'm not worried by current Spartans, future Spartans could be another matter.
    Who knows what the future of football in this country is? We have the implosion of one ugly sister in front of us, the other one will find it hard to survive without them. Jambos operating on an unsustainable business model - without community support (meaning that they are hoping for the community to build them a new stadium). Meanwhile clubs from the smaller towns are sitting comfortably in the SPL.

Fast forward 10 years - Huns no more, Celtic in England. What then, further consolidation of cross border arrangements? I think that if Spartans ever compete with Hibs, it will be a result of a massive restructuring and rationalisation of our game.

So, it'll be a level playing field anyway.

Who knows what the future of football in this country is? We have the implosion of one ugly sister in front of us, the other one will find it hard to survive without them. Jambos operating on an unsustainable business model - without community support (meaning that they are hoping for the community to build them a new stadium). Meanwhile clubs from the smaller towns are sitting comfortably in the SPL.

Fast forward 10 years - Huns no more, Celtic in England. What then, further consolidation of cross border arrangements? I think that if Spartans ever compete with Hibs, it will be a result of a massive restructuring and rationalisation of our game.

So, it'll be a level playing field anyway.

You raise some interesting points. It remains to be seen if The Rangers gates will return, or whether they are permanently damaged. It is certainly unsustainable to have just one club that can win everything - dull for them and tedious for everyone else.

The last 4 years without Rangers have not done the game much damage and to be honest if Celtic left I think it would not be a disaster. We would have a very competitive league with Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd all pretty equally sized followed by another 6 sides or so all capable of challenging. Sure the TV money might be done, but so what- it would be an exciting competitive league rather than the one horse race it is now.

You raise some interesting points. It remains to be seen if The Rangers gates will return, or whether they are permanently damaged. It is certainly unsustainable to have just one club that can win everything - dull for them and tedious for everyone else.

The last 4 years without Rangers have not done the game much damage and to be honest if Celtic left I think it would not be a disaster. We would have a very competitive league with Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd all pretty equally sized followed by another 6 sides or so all capable of challenging. Sure the TV money might be done, but so what- it would be an exciting competitive league rather than the one horse race it is now.
    Exactly my thoughts on the matter. I would love to see a competitive SPFL without the uglies where more than one team actually has a shot at winning a league. It's only when we reach that point that Scottish football will be able to grow again.

Before my time mate, only been alive since 84
    not counting the years in short trousers - you must have had a very busy paper run then