hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

The end for Craig?

Not intended as a Craig bashing thread however I do think he is on borrowed time in the team.
    With Robertson, Allan and McGeogh as good as first picks and the signing of Fyvie I really don't see a first team place for our captain.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not intended as a Craig bashing thread however I do think he is on borrowed time in the team.
    With Robertson, Allan and McGeogh as good as first picks and the signing of Fyvie I really don't see a first team place for our captain.

Thoughts?
    Probably. Although Robertson could lose out.

Still think Craig can have a future at Hibs, if he's prepared to accept a lesser role. IMO responsibility does not sit well with him. He's not a good captain, not a great role model and gets too frustrated during games. But he can be a good player. Stubbs now has a great problem choosing from a decent set of midfielders and I'd still include Craig in that list.

I think Craig has been written off by too many fans to be able to make it at hibs now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I think Craig has been written off by too many fans to be able to make it at hibs now.
    too far gone now.

First Team Breakthrough jimmyboco1875's Avatar
    Even if he does get dropped to the bench there won't be many teams in spl to have a sub as decent as craig in there team

Contract is up in the summer I believe. Would be very surprised if it's renewed, I don't really see a place for him in our team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Probably. Although Robertson could lose out.
    Absolutely not.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think when you look at the options that Stubbs has now, Craig can't consider himself an automatic first pick. Mcgeouch brings more to the team and Robertson plays the holding roll better than Craig.

It remains to be seen of Fyvie can lay claim to a first team spot, but if he does then Craig looks likely to be the one to drop out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

By what I saw yesterday, and what I've heard about him, Fyvie seems like a better player, who also fits into stubbs' style of play better than Craig. I reckon Craig can regain his form of 2/3 seasons ago at another club, but not at this one, and wish him all the best if he does move on, which I'm sure he would prefer to sitting on the bench.

AS should have changed captains immediately he came in, this would've lifted the pressure off Craig and allowed him to just play football, unfortunately the pressures of last season and this has affected him and his abilities and maybe it would be best if he moved on.

Left by mutual consent!
    I just wish someone would bring out the player in Liam Craig, that he was for St.Johnstone - on his game, he'd make it almost impossible for AS NOT to play him !!

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Also that he has had a lot of time and it's maybe just not happening for him

He gets hooked too many times to be captain material and it would perhaps help him to lose that role. I have to say Fyvie looked decent, which probably aint good news for LC.

The thing is though that there is no guarantee that Fyvie, McGeough or Allan are going to stay, especially if we don't go up, so I wouldn't be so quick to write off Liam Craig as a Hibs player.

Due to flu I wasn't there yesterday but this was a game Craig should've strolled and taken control of but by all accounts he was fairly poor once again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    AS should have changed captains immediately he came in, this would've lifted the pressure off Craig and allowed him to just play football, unfortunately the pressures of last season and this has affected him and his abilities and maybe it would be best if he moved on.
    Believe it or not I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Due to flu I wasn't there yesterday but this was a game Craig should've strolled and taken control of but by all accounts he was fairly poor once again.
    Back to nrmal here though - why is it ok for say Scott Allan not to take control of the game yesterday? We had to wait on McGeough coming on for someone to take control.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've always believed that his best position has been playing just behind the striker?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I've always believed that his best position has been playing just behind the striker?
    It appears most think he's more effective just behind the manager.

[QUOTE=Danderhall Hibs;4297230]Believe it or not I agree with you.

Back to nrmal here though - why is it ok for say Scott Allan not to take control of the game yesterday? We had to wait on McGeough coming on for someone to take control.[/QUOTE

I know ur a massive fan of Craig and fair play but Allan controlled the match yesterday and deservedly won MOM. No need to make up nonsense in your defence of Craig who was very very poor yesterday

[QUOTE=Borderhibbie76;4297251]

Back to nrmal here though - why is it ok for say Scott Allan not to take control of the game yesterday? We had to wait on McGeough coming on for someone to take control.[/QUOTE

I know ur a massive fan of Craig and fair play but Allan controlled the match yesterday and deservedly won MOM. No need to make up nonsense in your defence of Craig who was very very poor yesterday
    Think it's fair to say we haven't consistently seen Craig at his best , but our squad isn't that big and we need everyone to play a part probabably at some stage including the play offs
    I don't think he copes well with Captaincy and we don't seem to have found a position for him to be scoring the way he did with St Johnstone

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It appears most think he's more effective just behind the manager.
    Isn't his usual game to play just behind the ref???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Much will depend on who has been targeted as summer signings for our midfield and wether we keep McGeoch and Fyvie, but right now I'd be surprised if Craig isn't given the opportunity to kickstart his career elsewhere.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

[QUOTE=Borderhibbie76;4297251]

I know what you are saying but I'm not sure he was deserving of the man of the match award. Certainly wasn't the consensus around me.

@hibs.net private member
    LC was ok yesterday but no one really played that well. We won in second gear. LC gets more stick than most but he's not anywhere near as bad as some make out on here

Back to nrmal here though - why is it ok for say Scott Allan not to take control of the game yesterday? We had to wait on McGeough coming on for someone to take control.

Allan plays to a very high level every game and it was noticable 3-4 games ago when he had a fairly quiet one as people mentioned it, Craig has a fairly quiet, not doing very much most weeks and only has the odd good game, this is the main difference. We also noticed when being replaced by McGeouch how the game was changed by Dylan's pace and drive when on the ball.

Look I have no agenda against Craig and was delighted when he signed but being made captain and his very poor performances over the past season and a half ( the odd few games an exception ) I just feel it would be best if he moved on, he should've done so at the end of the season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

Thoughts?
    I agree and would rather see Robertson start than Craig, I haven't thought he was capable of the first team since the 5-3 win over Stranraer.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    If he isnt in the team he would be a very good sub to have. He has done ok this season and things arent really running for him at present (Raith he had a number of chances, on another day would have scored a couple). He is a good professional and is a good balance considering alot of our players are pretty young. He will be an important player between now and the end of the season.

If we don't go up, don't expect Allan, Fyvie and McGeough to hang around in the Champ for another season, so Stubbs would do well to keep Craig on board meantime. We might need him.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe he is captain for other reasons in the dressing room. He always seems articulate and intelligent in interviews and perhaps commands the respect of his team mates.

Hopefully his form and confidence hasn't deserted him completely and we can get the player I hoped we'd signed when we got him from St Johnstone.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Maybe he is captain for other reasons in the dressing room. He always seems articulate and intelligent in interviews and perhaps commands the respect of his team mates.

Hopefully his form and confidence hasn't deserted him completely and we can get the player I hoped we'd signed when we got him from St Johnstone.
    I am sure that is exactly the case, he appears to be a very good professional which is what we need as we do have a pretty young squad. Not altogether sure the captaincy sits as comfortably as it might and think it may have been better if someone else was given it however I think he has responded pretty well given where we were in May.