hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    not only did Craig not cover himself in glory defending the corner...he needlessly gave posession away in midfield leading to Raith winning said corner. He was a lot more to blame than Oxley imo and is our weakest link at the present time. He tries his best and doesnt deserve all the criticism aimed at him but he is not good enough for me and needs to move on in the summer. I also thought Handling was very poor when he came off bench...we lost the midfield when Robbo had to be subbed and Dylan had to drop deeper.
    Last edited by Borderhibbie76; 01-02-2015 at 07:04 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Wonder if Cerny will get a game for the development team on Tuesday, maybe needs a game or two, too get up to speed

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed but suppose we are seeing how good Boyle is. With everyone fit he is probably 5th choice and although he has done ok in the past few weeks in yesterday's evidence he will only score every 3rd or 4th chance.

Early verdict would be that he's a decent Championship player but won't have a long term future with us
    There was a Dundee fan on here at the time of the swap who indicated that was what we could expect.

Boyle is starting just now because of the lack of alternatives.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Don't see that Oxley was in any way to blame for either the result or the goal yesterday. Had we put away any of the other numerous chances we had yesterday we'd all be having a far more relaxing weekend.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    No way IMO does Oxley deserve to lose his place.

Other than injury or suspension then, at what point does cerny get a shout? They are both only here until the end of the season and I think we will be trying to keep one of them permanently.

First Team Breakthrough
    We had 25 shots at goal and scored once.

Aye it's Oxleys fault we didn't win.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHarpy76 View Post
    We had 25 shots at goal and scored once.

Aye it's Oxleys fault we didn't win.
    So because we only score once it then becomes acceptable to lose an equalizer in injury time.

The reason we are dropping silly points is because although we completely dominate the game we just cannot seem to take our chances and finish teams off. Raith should have been completely out of sight.

First Team Regular newmarket_hibbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This. The latest in a long line of scapegoats.
    was lucky enough to have watched the game here in Ontario, and also some of the past home games, goals for is still more of a concern, certain forwards need to pass a little more instead of trying to topp up their goal scoring bonuses ( if they have one). couple of unselfish passes and the game would have been won long before the final minute and we wouldn't be talking about this this morning. Also time Oxley time wasting a few minutes before the goal, what's up with that, just came back to bite you in the arse!!! All in all Hibs were/ are very entertaining to watch right now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    So because we only score once it then becomes acceptable to lose an equalizer in injury time.
    Not at all.
    But I don't think we should be talking about dropping the keeper when the strikers and other attacking players were more culpable for the failure to win.

Not at all. It never becomes acceptable to lose a goal in injury time.

However, we have been weak in defence for YEARS.....I recall the "golden generation" and had it not been for all the goals Riordan and O'Connor were smashing in together, we'd have seen many a similar result back then too.

Back on track. Keeper makes an arse of one shot (or is partly culpable even), he is scapegoat numero uno. Forwards miss double figures chances all game...blameless. Unfair. They are equally culpable IMHO and one could argue the forwards had innumerate chances to seal the game many times over...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Not at all. It never becomes acceptable to lose a goal in injury time.

However, we have been weak in defence for YEARS.....I recall the "golden generation" and had it not been for all the goals Riordan and O'Connor were smashing in together, we'd have seen many a similar result back then too.

Back on track. Keeper makes an arse of one shot (or is partly culpable even), he is scapegoat numero uno. Forwards miss double figures chances all game...blameless. Unfair. They are equally culpable IMHO and one could argue the forwards had innumerate chances to seal the game many times over...
    I'm not giving credit to our forwards for missing chances, I'm wanting to play Cerny in goals. Not a reaction to Saturday but over the course of the season to date.

Oxley never looks convincing to me.

I think our defence has done well this season protecting him.

I can't think of any game this season where I've come away thinking "that god we had Oxley, he saved us today".

Coaching Staff
    I'm not giving credit to our forwards for missing chances, I'm wanting to play Cerny in goals. Not a reaction to Saturday but over the course of the season to date.

Oxley never looks convincing to me.

I think our defence has done well this season protecting him.

I can't think of any game this season where I've come away thinking "that god we had Oxley, he saved us today".
    I dont think Ive come away from a game thinking we have been dominated though so wouldn't expect to have been saved by our keeper.

There's maybe been a couple of games I think he could have done better but that doesn't merit being dropped.

If he has a few bad games he will be replaced. Until then I'm sure he will may on. Good to have some back up though but doesn't mean Oxley should be hounded out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I dont think Ive come away from a game thinking we have been dominated though so wouldn't expect to have been saved by our keeper.

There's maybe been a couple of games I think he could have done better but that doesn't merit being dropped.

If he has a few bad games he will be replaced. Until then I'm sure he will may on. Good to have some back up though but doesn't mean Oxley should be hounded out just yet.
    It's a difficult one I agree.

However if Cerny is a better keeper should he not be playing?

We all want a better Hibs team to get us promoted and then do well in the top flight. To do that players will have to be replaced and I think goalkeeper is a position of concern.

We can't afford him to have a few bad games- that's the point.

He's never been tested but has looked unconvincing in virtually all parts of his game. There will be games where we will need him to perform heroics come the play-offs, and I've no confidence whatsoever. The penalties against Dundee United were a prime example- never got near any of them as he was too busy trying to use gamesmanship. His time-wasting has also cost us momentum in big games.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    We can't afford him to have a few bad games- that's the point.

He's never been tested but has looked unconvincing in virtually all parts of his game. There will be games where we will need him to perform heroics come the play-offs, and I've no confidence whatsoever. The penalties against Dundee United were a prime example- never got near any of them as he was too busy trying to use gamesmanship. His time-wasting has also cost us momentum in big games.
    We haven't had a few bad games though. That's surely the real point just now? He won't just be dropped unless it is deserved.

We haven't had a few bad games though. That's surely the real point just now? He won't just be dropped unless it is deserved.
    No, we haven't, although I think we may have had more points with a better keeper.

Oxley is a loan, Cerney is a short term deal- I just think the best players for the each positions should play. Don't see why goalies should be different. Boyle has done well the past 2 weeks but pretty sure Malonga will come straight in on Saturday to play up front.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    No, we haven't, although I think we may have had more points with a better keeper.

Oxley is a loan, Cerney is a short term deal- I just think the best players for the each positions should play. Don't see why goalies should be different. Boyle has done well the past 2 weeks but pretty sure Malonga will come straight in on Saturday to play up front.
    Malanga is suspended for Saturday's game

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I just don't rate Oxley never seen him make a save that an average keeper would not have made. For me he is the weakest link in our team
    Oxley is a mixed bag for me.
    I think he's extremely poor at coming for crossed balls and commanding his area.

I'd disagree on the point about not making saves an average keeper wouldn't have made.
    I felt he was seriously at fault during the Falkirk game and cost us goals but he also pulled off a cracking save that could have seen that game turn out worse.

The one thing that needs mentioning is his distribution which I think is absolutely excellent and has been a major factor in the quality of our play this season.
    We're generally playing out from the back and he's always looking to release Stevenson or Gray.

If we do bring Cerny in then he absolutely must match Oxley in that aspect.

As for the game at the weekend - have to agree with others that the problem was not taking one of the many chances we had to bury the game.